• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla will run at 4K 30FPS on Xbox Series X

Riven326

Banned
U should read the PS5 thread where they talk all day long about i/o and ssd and honestly think they get 4k RT and 60 fps in every game even while a fucking 2080ti can't get 60 fps rt at even 1080p, because the PS5 is faster then any super computer at this point haha.

It's funny as fuck.

These guys are delusional as shit.
The great irony of it all. Nintendo fans have had the 60hz dream for a few generations now.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
4k isn't even a thing with RT even on PC in far less complex games then ac odyssey. The only RT stuff u see is a shitty fake RT shader as mod in games that people run and even then performance is complete dog shit.

RT will probably be used when GPU is idling most of the time on those consoles in fighter games or less complex games with less stuff to render on the GPU front. But even then they probably want more performance for better complexity in the world. Because who's going to notice the lightning being a bit different nobody.

What jaguar cpu and slow hard drives do isn't interesting.

And Series X isn’t a bloated Windows 10 PC with all its processes and other apps running in the background using up compute.

Console - A single set of specs where developers code to the metal, no separate plug and play devices of which there can be a million different configurations like on PC.

They also have low level API’s, highly optimised middleware solutions which give additional performance on console vs PC and the Velocity engine on Series X (I’m sure they’ll be something similar in PS5).

Even ignoring the above, Series X has a roughly 17tflop GPU in comparison to the XB1X’s 6tflop GPU so it has almost 3x the compute performance of a GPU that already runs the current iteration of the Assassin’s Creed engine at roughly 2/3rd’s of full 2160p (1800p).

I will bet you $100 right now that AC Valhalla will run at native 4k/30fps on Series X if Ray Tracing is enabled (probably reflections and ambient occlusion although I wouldn’t rule out GI too).

If it doesn’t have any form of Ray Tracing then it will be dynamic 2160p/60fps. Yes, yes I know the shitty farmed our port of Odyssey runs like crap on PC so needs to be brute forced to 60.

In short, Series X is in no way, shape or form a Windows 10 PC and it’s absolutely stupidly powerful for a console, especially in comparison to the consoles when they launched in 2013 with their low end laptop CPU/GPU combo. Comparing it to a PC is pointless.

Some people need to leave their ego at the door and realise consoles are about to be on par with high end gaming rigs where they will offer either Dynamic 4k/60fps or Native 4k/30fps with RT.

Once we have a built form the ground up next gen AC game then things might change. Until then we have a 17tflop console running a game built around the constraints of a 1.3tflop XB1S...

I didn’t get into the CPU because both consoles have a CPU which is a 500% increase over current gen. Their storage devices are roughly 40x faster on Series X, 100x faster on PS5 too...

Last edited:

RPSleon

I mean, its pretty simple. Most games prioritise graphics over performance. 30 does the job for most people. (People who dont care enough to go on a game forum).

Fps will stay the same every gen if the resolution keeps getting higher.

I hope we stop at 4k. Fuck 8k.

Riven326

Banned
I mean, its pretty simple. Most games prioritise graphics over performance. 30 does the job for most people. (People who dont care enough to go on a game forum).

Fps will stay the same every gen if the resolution keeps getting higher.

I hope we stop at 4k. Fuck 8k.
8k is the next in line. Don't fool yourself.

Romulus

Did people not think there would be a native 4k 30fps mode at all? I mean that's kinda how this thread read. I can't imagine them not pushing a 30fps ultra mode to really drive home the visuals for advertising, then having a 60fps 1800p mode too.

iorek21

Also, don't forget that this is the same engine of the disastrous Assassin's Creed Unity, even if possibly modified

Games on this engine are probably a mess, as every PC port since Unity is crap

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Also, don't forget that this is the same engine of the disastrous Assassin's Creed Unity, even if possibly modified

Games on this engine are probably a mess, as every PC port since Unity is crap

You mean the engine that currently powers AC Origins / Odyssey, two of the most technically impressive games of the generation?

The engine was much, much improved in even AC Syndicate (2015).

The reason the AC games run like shit and have to be brute forced on PC is because their PC ports are handled by their D teams at best and farmed out at worst.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
if you want 60fps+ there's a very simple solution it's called : PC
ruE3Vh2.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And Series X isn’t a bloated Windows 10 PC with all its processes and other apps running in the background using up compute.

Console - A single set of specs where developers code to the metal, no separate plug and play devices of which there can be a million different configurations like on PC.

They also have low level API’s, highly optimised middleware solutions which give additional performance on console vs PC and the Velocity engine on Series X (I’m sure they’ll be something similar in PS5).

Even ignoring the above, Series X has a roughly 17tflop GPU in comparison to the XB1X’s 6tflop GPU so it has almost 3x the compute performance of a GPU that already runs the current iteration of the Assassin’s Creed engine at roughly 2/3rd’s of full 2160p (1800p).

I will bet you $100 right now that AC Valhalla will run at native 4k/30fps on Series X if Ray Tracing is enabled (probably reflections and ambient occlusion although I wouldn’t rule out GI too).

If it doesn’t have any form of Ray Tracing then it will be dynamic 2160p/60fps. Yes, yes I know the shitty farmed our port of Odyssey runs like crap on PC so needs to be brute forced to 60.

In short, Series X is in no way, shape or form a Windows 10 PC and it’s absolutely stupidly powerful for a console, especially in comparison to the consoles when they launched in 2013 with their low end laptop CPU/GPU combo. Comparing it to a PC is pointless.

Some people need to leave their ego at the door and realise consoles are about to be on par with high end gaming rigs where they will offer either Dynamic 4k/60fps or Native 4k/30fps with RT.

Once we have a built form the ground up next gen AC game then things might change. Until then we have a 17tflop console running a game built around the constraints of a 1.3tflop XB1S...

I didn’t get into the CPU because both consoles have a CPU which is a 500% increase over current gen. Their storage devices are roughly 40x faster on Series X, 100x faster on PS5 too...
It's embarrassing that this has to be repeated to people. Consoles and PCs are not the same thing.

Allandor

So, NPC scaling, again?

More CPU resources => more NPCs like in unity?
Well, or the Engine uses RT

but, well than again, it is AC. Those games have an input lag like almost no other. So, not 60fps needed I guess.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't really understand. What is causing it to not run way faster? Are they running some crazy new tech for the next-gen port? If they are pushing some limited raytracing and other awesome effects that you can't get on current-gen, then ok I understand sticking with 30fps.

But if this is just the same version as current gen but just barely higher resolution, then 30fps is pathetic and tells you they are actually just not doing anything for the next-gen patch.

jonnyXx

ahahahaha at 4k 30 fps hahahahah.

and people here thought its the second coming. its a fucking 500$ console. do not think it will do miracles. PS5 is even worse lol.

you want real 4k 60 fps ultra on all games ? its PC only. period.

with that being said i am probably still gonna buy SXS and the PS5 day one because in theory both consoles probably cheaper than one 3080 lol
4k60 @ ultra settings is too much even on PC. A 2080Ti can manage it in on most games but not all.

Can you be concerned about this without being a console warrior? (I'll be just as saddened if the PS5 doesn't handle it better)

That said I'd like to see the actual IQ for the game via actual gameplay before judging this and I really want to hear if it has performance mode options.

If every game that sends up being 30fps on XsX and/or PS5 next gen causes a buzz for being 30fps, then I think there's gonna be a lot of buzzin'

I will admit, I did expect 60 fps to be pretty standard for LAUNCH cross-gen games, but a lot of us were always saying to expect the big, AAA open world games to be 30fps next gen.

I know about the Greenberg tweet, I realize it's a LOL moment just 24 hours later.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And people were expecting 60FPS would standard, no matter how powerful system becomes most developers will push for more polygon and bigger open world and other effect like the new trend "ray-tracing".

Last edited:
If every game that sends up being 30fps on XsX and/or PS5 next gen causes a buzz for being 30fps, then I think there's gonna be a lot of buzzin'

I will admit, I did expect 60 fps to be pretty standard for LAUNCH cross-gen games, but a lot of us were always saying to expect the big, AAA open world games to be 30fps next gen.

I know about the Greenberg tweet, I realize it's a LOL moment just 24 hours later.

I was hoping the streaming capabilities of the news SSDs would mitigate the framerate issues with open world games (it certainly should mean no stuttering) but without a lot of technical know-how on what's taking the load off of what I could just be dreaming when I assume something like that, and for all we know this Ass Creed game is going to look jaw-dropping (but I kinda doubt it considering it's a cross-gen game, we remember what cross-gen games looked like at the start of this gen). I'd be very interested if there's a significant gap between the game on this gen and the new gen consoles, maybe something akin' to GTA V's gap (though that didn't release concurrently on both gens, with games that launched concurrently we don't usually see such a gap, I could be wrong, but they talk about aiming for parity, this is Ubisoft we're talking about who buried a better version of Watch_Dogs for PC in the code and modders had to pull it out).

No wonder Microsoft emphasized on input latency reduction and not framerate. You'll definitely need that with 30fps games.

*Chuckles in Slovakian*

JimboJones

Patented console 30fps looks smooth so it should be ok.
Hopefully there is a performance mode, even with an option with a variable framerate for freesync owners.

sendit

And so the frame wars begins

seriously for next gen fuck native 4k. Give me checkerboard with 60fps.

Yup. Native 4K is such a killer on performance. Huge reason why I game at 1080p on the PC (using a 2080 TI). Upscaling tech like DLSS will be the savior of consoles (and PCs) if there is something comparable. Increased resolution just isn’t worth it at the cost of FPS.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
People need to chill. This is a cross gen game with very little time for the devs to get used to the dev kits. At launch both PS5 and Xbox Series X will have similar cross gen performance.

It was just like this when the PS4 launched. But look what we have now since then, God of War, Horizon.

Give it a few years and we'll be seeing some incredible looking and performance able titles on both systems.

So caaaalmmmm your tits.

Yup. Native 4K is such a killer on performance. Huge reason why I game at 1080p on the PC (using a 2080 TI). Upscaling tech like DLSS will be the savior of consoles (and PCs) if there is something comparable. Increased resolution just isn’t worth it at the cost of FPS.
Lmao and people thought they could reach 4k/60 WITH ray tracing....?!? Even though I love consoles im not that moronic.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
People need to chill. This is a cross gen game with very little time for the devs to get used to the dev kits. At launch both PS5 and Xbox Series X will have similar cross gen performance.

It was just like this when the PS4 launched. But look what we have now since then, God of War, Horizon.

Give it a few years and we'll be seeing some incredible looking and performance able titles on both systems.

So caaaalmmmm your tits.

The AC games on PS5/XSX will never hit 60fps.

And neither will many other titles. I think the situation will be a lot like this gen. The extra power will go to resolution and graphics, not frame rate.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

For MS sake, they better just let it run at sub 4K resolution just to get 60fps. It has more significant impact of the look and feel of the game than some resolution that most people could barely notice.

Entroyp

Then again, consoles don’t have the dedicated hardware that DLSS use to do its thing I believe. Or maybe I have it wrong?

Riven326

Banned
The AC games on PS5/XSX will never hit 60fps.

And neither will many other titles. I think the situation will be a lot like this gen. The extra power will go to resolution and graphics, not frame rate.
Of course. It's the same story every generation. For some reason people believe in the impossible whenever new consoles are announced. Then you level with them and its...

uUQRmOd.gif

Aidah

A cross gen game at 30fps is a joke. Let the usual console disappointments and reality checks begin. I'm not playing AC because it's been garbage for a long while, but this is a sign of more trash to come.

It's weird though, seems like on paper the Series X should be able to do a mostly 60fps when compared to One X while also improving the look of the game a little. I mean in practice it has maybe 3 times the GPU power, and 4 times the CPU speed.

Anyway, as usual, thank god for PC.

Last edited:
i mean....its ubi lol

And after experiencing Origins and oddysey maxed out, and watch dogs 2 and far cry 5 on my pc...I plan on running them on pc from now on

Top Bottom