• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla vs The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt | Direct Comparison

Stuart360

Valhalla looks a level above to be honest, especially in terms of poly counts and textures.
It always makes me laugh how people act like Ubisoft games are bad looking, while still preclaiming Witcher 3 as some graphical benchmark. Its not, and wasnt even when it released. It looked great at release, but some of those textures were poor even for 2015.

Last edited:

Fake

Valhalla looks a level above to behonest, especially in terms of poly counts and textures.
It always makes me laugh how people act like Ubisoft games are bad looking, while still preclaiming Witcher 3 as some graphical benchmark. Its not, and wasnt even when it released. It looked great at release, but some of those textures were poor even for 2015.

How can you make a silly comment and at the same time admit is a 2015 game?

Stuart360

How can you make a silly comment and at the same time admit is a 2015 game?
What was the silly comment?, bearing in mind my PC was able to max Witcher 3 at release?.
It was a great looking game at the time, but stuff like the textures looked poor to me at the time (some, not all).
It just never impressed me as much as it did with many people at the time.

Fake

I'm just commenting on the comparison

No, you're not.

Witcher 3 as some graphical benchmark. Its not, and wasnt even when it released. It looked great at release, but some of those textures were poor even for 2015.

Witcher 3 texture was perfect fine for the time, maybe not for standarts today.

Last edited:
It's impressive how good Witcher 3 still looks. From a play perspective, the vegetation and realistic weather response greatly adds to the feeling of being in the world of the game.

Valhalla had better sound design in everything except combat sounds and npc chatter. There seems to be some sort of delay on sound in combat with AC:V. Though maybe W3 has less impactful sound design because it knows the soundtrack should be the focus.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Valhalla was one of the most visually impressive games for me last year, but The Witcher 3 still looks damn good. It's PBR implementation definitely leaves something to be desired. I wonder how much work it would take CDPR to go back and update it to more modern standards with the engine improvements they made for Cyberpunk.

Didn't they mention something about doing a "next-gen" update for The Witcher 3, or was that just going to be a frame rate and resolution patch?

EDMIX

I felt Odyssey looked way better then Witcher 3, same with Ghost Of Tsushima, not really surprised Valhalla looks better tbh.

Saying Witcher 3 is a 2015 and not saying AC:V is a 2020 game.

ok.....they are still running on the same hardware.

Even Horizon looks better then Witcher 3. That isn't to say Witcher 3 is an ugly game, simply that many teams seem to make better looking open world titles. The fucking excuse that a time difference exist while ignore the hardware is the same is just an irrelevant excuse.

They both had the same hardware.

Many made better looking open world titles. The comparison is just.

imho Ubisoft just has better developers and artist. Witcher 3's reveal looked amazing, its downgrade by the time it got to gamers looked like a fucking cartoon...

The excuse then was the "consoles" must have gimped Witcher 3, yet magically those same consoles have Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost Of Tsushima, Red Dead 2 and any AC title looking better? Maybe....maybe many exaggerate how good the game looked as someone who owns all the games mentioned including Witcher 3 day 1, I never seen it looking sooooooo good that it felt like a new generation or something, in many areas I felt the game looked dated compared to many current gen titles at the time. I don't think a time difference matters, I simply think other teams do better in this area then CDPR.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Eh, the facial animations in Valhalla are rough and take you out of it pretty bad. Graphically, of course it looks better than a game that launched half a decade ago. Everything else is well below though.

EDMIX

Lets compare Valhalla once Witcher 4 is released.

Why? They are in different generations.

It would make much more sense to compare it to what ever the new generation AC title would be that is only on PS5, Series X etc.

Witcher 3 and Valhalla still are current gen titles...

Keihart

The best parts about of The Witcher 3 graphically for me are the animation system for dialogues, it looks way better than any game with similar systems and the map design with how they use elevation to hide areas and fake scale. Pointless comparison if you would ask me.

Redlancet

Banned
who was the blind monkey who said the series x version was free of tearing after the patch? because the tearing in some parts in pretty noticeable,try york

Diddy X

It doesn't make sense to compare them in pc, 5 years makes a big difference, with the current hardware you are gonna aim at certain visual level that is most likely not the same as back in 2015, IIRC they struggled to run W3 at max settings at launch, how could CDPR have added more graphical load in the game for nobody to be able to run it, 5 years later sure you can add more shit.

I’ve been having a debate with a friend about these 2 games recently. He is convinced AC:V is a deeper RPG than Witcher 3. I disagree.
I think he’s an idiot. Am I right or am I actually the idiot and misremembering?

S0ULZB0URNE

What was the silly comment?, bearing in mind my PC was able to max Witcher 3 at release?.
It was a great looking game at the time, but stuff like the textures looked poor to me at the time (some, not all).
It just never impressed me as much as it did with many people at the time.
You must of played below 4K.

I think TW3 looks better and I look forward to the CDPR updates.
Hopefully they add HDR to the PC.

Kenpachii

Witcher 3 looks like a cartoon vs valhalla.

The big plus witcher had was forests that moved same with vegetation with wind. Something valhalla doesn't and it makes it more dull.

Top Bottom