• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla runs at dynamic 4k in Series X after all (says producer)

Barakov

Valhalla will definitely be a March game for me. I remember Black Flag being great when I played it at launch on PS4 but it seems like Ubisoft's quality control has slipped quite a bit.

Freeman76

Im so gutted about the screentear on this. I have a 4k HDR TV that cost me £800 and it doesnt work well with the series X it seems, even in game mode. According to the specs my TV supports 120hz but the xbox doesnt pick it up.

jhjfss

Im so gutted about the screentear on this. I have a 4k HDR TV that cost me £800 and it doesnt work well with the series X it seems, even in game mode. According to the specs my TV supports 120hz but the xbox doesnt pick it up.
most tvs are fake 120 hz, they are actually 60 hz instead. check to make sure they are native 120 and not motion rate or interpolated 120.

GHG

Gold Member
Not sure about the legitimacy of this:

It's also in 1080p so will probably need to wait for DF (or similar) to do their analysis.

But at a quick glance they look to be the same.

Not sure about the legitimacy of this:

It's also in 1080p so will probably need to wait for DF (or similar) to do their analysis.

But at a quick glance they look to be the same.

Does the texture work look a bit better on the PS5 or is it just me?

Left: XSX
Right: PS5

sfLFoVG.png

Top: XSX
Bottom: PS5

pmA9qKz.png

Denton

I am extremely curious to see what settings, res and framerate it actually runs on nextgen consoles because it runs like shit on PC.

I feel like the only people that actually care about this are console warriors. As long as it’s 60fps and 1080p minimum I couldn’t care less. Give me frames while the warriors count pixels they themselves can’t even notice.

I'm not a graphics whore at all but Horizon did provide me with a new experience on my 4k TV.

Lets not pretend fancy graphics don't matter. They always have.

saintjules

Anyone have an audio dialogue issue? Since I started I can't hear any of the main characters' audio.

Edit: seems it has something to do with the sound settings in the Series X. If I put 5.1 I actually get no sound whatsoever. Some bug to be fixed.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Yes not yet , but 99% of people playing won't have VRR.

So if thats the only way to claim good performance, its pretty dire.
You do realise that it is Ubisoft that made the game right? And that the screentearing is their doing? Also, Ubi are notorious for vsnyc tearing problems

get used to that lol. next gen will nit have huge jumps in fidelity, only in detail will you see differences, especially in the first few waves of games.

Nah... third party cross-gen multiplats can take a big fat hike. Spiderman and Demon Souls got my expectations where they need to be as a base floor - not this crap.

Last edited:

Banned
Nah... third party cross-gen multiplats can take a big fat hike. Spiderman and Demon Souls got my expectations where they need to be as a base floor - not this crap.

both of those are only small jumps from PS4pro or One X in terms of fidelity.

raytracing is the only really noticeable differentiating factor with next gen games... that and slightly higher environmental detail here and there

Leyasu

Banned
I asked a simple question have you seen any PS5 games with FPS dips & screen tearing so far?
Oh, we'll all see that thursday when the PS5 gets released, and Ubisoft are the notorious screen-tear masters release Assassins creed on it.

Like you said in a post below, VRR shouldn't be the remedy for poorly optimised games.

MrFunSocks

Banned
LOL, I can flip it on you. How do you know PS5 is never going to have VRR? I'm confident it will have it in 2021. Are you confident it wont?
You can’t flip it. It doesn’t have it. It might get it, it might not. The fact that it’s not there at release is pretty telling.

GenericUser

I would totally be ok if both machines could push 1080p/60 across all games during the entire generation. I think it is totally unreasonable to expect 4k/60 from a 500 monies machine when even the best PCs out there are struggling with this goal.

They’ve had a good ~2 years of development to get it in there and still didn’t, but you “expect a firmware update soon”? Why?
Get the fuck out of here with your horseshit.
VRR is on the official PS5 spec sheet.
It will be enabled in a future firmware update.
Stop talking shit and spreading misinformation.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Because its listed on teh PS5 spec sheet. seems simple enough
Yet it’s not there lol. Oh it’s such a simple thing that they’ll just patch it in quickly, why haven’t they patched it in in the 2+ years they’ve been developing the console?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yet it’s not there lol. Oh it’s such a simple thing that they’ll just patch it in quickly, why haven’t they patched it in in the 2+ years they’ve been developing the console?

Please someone post a link to the official spec sheet. Thanks

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
So it is there, even though you just said "Yet its not there lol".

So as literally everyone above you said, it will be enabled with a future firmware update. Seems like the issue is solved so lets move on. Thanks.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So it is there, even though you just said "Yet its not there lol".

So as literally everyone above you said, it will be enabled with a future firmware update. Seems like the issue is solved so lets move on. Thanks.
I said it’s not there as in it’s not in the console. Who cares what the spec sheet says when it’s literally not there in the console?

I’m happy to move on, people just need to accept that VRR is not there and there’s no indication that it’s coming in a patch soon. It probably will come at some stage, but “soon” is purely made up at this stage.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Because they have been too busy developing games for the system as a priority. Given your thinking we can conclude that the Xbox is not a console, as they clearly haven't been busy developing games in the 2+ years they have been developing the console. Yeah there not there! 😂

Malcolm9

I said it’s not there as in it’s not in the console. Who cares what the spec sheet says when it’s literally not there in the console?

I’m happy to move on, people just need to accept that VRR is not there and there’s no indication that it’s coming in a patch soon. It probably will come at some stage, but “soon” is purely made up at this stage.

You could say the same about all these supposed quality first party titles for Xbox, they are there but not quite yet.

VRR will come for PS5, apart from you no one else seems to give a shit. Obviously it looks like the Series X needs it when a cross gen game is causing screen tearing.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You could say the same about all these supposed quality first party titles for Xbox, they are there but not quite yet.

VRR will come for PS5, apart from you no one else seems to give a shit. Obviously it looks like the Series X needs it when a cross gen game is causing screen tearing.
That’s some very console war logic you got there lol. Move on.

The PS5 doesn’t have VRR. It’s a great feature, and the longer the PS5 doesn’t have it the worse it is. It’ll probably get it, but they haven’t mentioned when it will get it.

Malcolm9

That’s some very console war logic you got there lol. Move on.

The PS5 doesn’t have VRR. It’s a great feature, and the longer the PS5 doesn’t have it the worse it is. It’ll probably get it, but they haven’t mentioned when it will get it.

That both are coming so there is nothing to worry about? It just highlights how ridiculous you sound with your PS5 VRR concern.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That both are coming so there is nothing to worry about? It just highlights how ridiculous you sound with your PS5 VRR concern.
Who’s worrying? VRR isn’t there on the PS5, full stop. It hasn’t been confirmed to be “coming soon” in a firmware patch. The fact that it’s not there, along with 1440p, after the years of development, indicates that it isn’t coming soon. There’s no “concern”, just a fact.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Who’s worrying? VRR isn’t there on the PS5, full stop. It hasn’t been confirmed to be “coming soon” in a firmware patch. The fact that it’s not there, along with 1440p, after the years of development, indicates that it isn’t coming soon. There’s no “concern”, just a fact.

But it is a fact PS5 is capable of VRR, just because the Series X has screen tearing on a cross gen game isn't a fact that the PS5 needs it yet.

You seem very concerned, you might want to put the keyboard down and do some Yoga.

MrFunSocks

Banned
But it is a fact PS5 is capable of VRR, just because the Series X has screen tearing on a cross gen game isn't a fact that the PS5 needs it yet.

You seem very concerned, you might want to put the keyboard down and do some Yoga.
Lol unless you think all PS5 games are going to have locked 30 or 60 frames per second then yes, the PS5 needs it. I’m beginning to think you don’t know what VRR is or why it’s amazing.

Malcolm9

Lol unless you think all PS5 games are going to have locked 30 or 60 frames per second then yes, the PS5 needs it. I’m beginning to think you don’t know what VRR is or why it’s amazing.

I'm not saying it isn't amazing, but you are acting like the PS5 will never have it when it clearly isn't true.

One cross gen game with screen tearing isn't really enough to go by, to me it's more of a fault with the game that should be patched.

Most people who own a 4k TV won't have VRR on their set either.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm not saying it isn't amazing, but you are acting like the PS5 will never have it when it clearly isn't true.

One cross gen game with screen tearing isn't really enough to go by, to me it's more of a fault with the game that should be patched.

Most people who own a 4k TV won't have VRR on their set either.
But again, it doesn’t have it already - why? If it’s so simple to add, why isn’t it there already?

You don’t seem to understand VRR if you think that screen tearing in a single game is why I think it needs it. If a game is not locked FPS VRR is a godsend, tearing or not, so like I said, unless you think the game will run locked 60fps with no tearing on the PS5, VRR would make it much better.

There’s no concern here - of course the PS5 could get VRR, but after years of development it doesn’t. That’s weird.

Malcolm9

But again, it doesn’t have it already - why? If it’s so simple to add, why isn’t it there already?

You don’t seem to understand VRR if you think that screen tearing in a single game is why I think it needs it. If a game is not locked FPS VRR is a godsend, tearing or not, so like I said, unless you think the game will run locked 60fps with no tearing on the PS5, VRR would make it much better.

There’s no concern here - of course the PS5 could get VRR, but after years of development it doesn’t. That’s weird.

Because Sony didn't add it at launch, it isn't hard to understand. VRR can be enabled on the PS5, so I don't know why you are spouting they've had years of development........smh.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Because Sony didn't add it at launch, it isn't hard to understand. VRR can be enabled on the PS5, so I don't know why you are spouting they've had years of development........smh.
Lol so I’m the years of development they didn’t add it, but it’s something that can simply be enabled with ease? Where’s the logic in that? If it’s so simple to add, why isn’t it there at launch?

Top Bottom