• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla runs at dynamic 4k in Series X after all (says producer)

RaySoft

You must have, because it has been confirmed that it doesn’t have VRR support.
To clearify; It does have VRR support in hardware, it's just not enabled yet. It will be enabled at a later date through a firmware update.

Edit: PS blogpost

For all you lazy people:

Last edited:
I knew it would, I'll say it again: some games will run imperceptibly better on PS5, some will run imperceptibly better on XsX.

The gap in specs alone is too small. The real-world gap in performance is almost non-existent. Everyone enjoy your 3rd party games on either platform.

MrFunSocks

Banned
To clearify; It does have VRR support in hardware, it's just not enabled yet. It will be enabled at a later date through a firmware update.
You don’t know that, so maybe don’t try and “clarify” anything. If it was just something they have to enable it would already be there. Clearly they have had some problems with it.

The PS5 doesn’t have VRR. It might one day, maybe, but it doesn’t now and it might never.

Last edited:
I thought about that too but it opens up such a can of worms. How do you QA for future machines/architecture? What if it introduces bugs or breaks the game. Your going to have to spend significant resources/budget on something well out of the games sales period that very few players will see.

While I wish there was something like this I can see why developers/publishers would be hesistant.
Consoles are PCs now. If it works on a PC, it could work on a console.

ethomaz

Banned

luckily I have a freesync monitor

The biggest issue right now seems to be that most TVs in the market has critical issues with VRR @ 120Mhz.
The talk is that it is not possible to fix without a hardware revision... aka new tV (example of that are the high-end LG).

It is not a console issue btw but the TV itself... maybe people should wait a bit more to buy a new TV?

4K@120Hz doesn't necessarily need 120fps. Just like gaming at 4K@60Hz with a 30fps game, higher refresh rate = better input lag. But you need VRR or VSYNC to avoid screen tearing. Seems like the majority will suffer from screen tearing on AC Valhalla on XSX according to John with most HDMI 2.0 TV's?
And most HDMI 2.1 TVs too... in case LG lastest releases can to VRR @ 120Hz.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Because series X has VRR.......

You think the PS5 version won’t have the dips and tearing? Lol oh boy. The PS5 doesn’t have VRR to fix the problems like the Xbox does.

Oh thats alright then, as long as its corrected for a handful of gamers the rest can play with the unoptimised mess of screen tearing, safe in the Knowledge its running much better for a select few, phew. 🙄

splattered

No one is laughing at PS5 for dynamic 4k and if they are... who cares? All we should expect from these new consoles is huge improvements to older games and solid dynamic 4k 30-120fps for next gen games. That's it. Both consoles will be close from what i've seen so far and that's great.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Oh thats alright then, as long as its corrected for a handful of gamers the rest can play with the unoptimised mess of screen tearing, safe in the Knowledge its running much better for a select few, phew. 🙄
So how does it play on PS5? Does it have less screen tearing and frame drops than on the series x?

oh right, you don’t know.

and yes, playing best with a VRR tv still means that it “plays best on series x”. On the ps5 it will have tearing and drops. On the Xbox with VRR it doesn’t cause problems when it drops. Plays best on Xbox. Accept it and move on.

Have you seen any PS5 games with fps dips & screen tearing so far?
So you think it will be locked 60fps with no tearing on the ps5? Really now? Lol. Let me guess, something something IO SSD?

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
i watched the Eurogamer review last night on my big tv and the amount of screen tearing was pretty horrific and its all over the video in places.

Surely they can improve this or make this better, from thirty seconds in, what is that, why is that there. and watch the whole video it happens so much.

Last edited:

Jigga117

What a joke.

Which is odd like you said this is a standard feature for 2.1 and was available for the Xbox One X and S with 2.0B so the fact that they waited until the last minute before release to mention this is questionable why this isn't working today.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I feel like the only people that actually care about this are console warriors. As long as it’s 60fps and 1080p minimum I couldn’t care less. Give me frames while the warriors count pixels they themselves can’t even notice.

Md Ray

Because series X has VRR.......

You think the PS5 version won’t have the dips and tearing? Lol oh boy. The PS5 doesn’t have VRR to fix the problems like the Xbox does.
The PS4 and PS4 Pro don't have tearing when they dip below 30fps i.e. no adaptive Vsync on those consoles in Valhalla. PS5 likely won't have adaptive Vsync either.

All this bullshit with patches, resolutions and framerates makes me wonder why developers won't start including graphics settings like on PC.
Make a default preset that's recommended for here and now but let people make adjustments. It makes your game future proof.

Star Ocean 4 remaster actually did this on PS4. But it kinda defeats the purpose of a console IMO.

99% of you sit too far back from your tv to even really fully benefit from native 4K anyways. The fact is I guarantee most wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between dynamic 4K vs native 4K especially in motion. Native 4K is a waste of resources on both consoles. Honestly I wished all games used dynamic resolutions to keep FPS rock solid.
This is my stance on the 4k subject as well.
It's really retarded so many rescources are spent on something most people won't be even able to properly see.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

luckily I have a freesync monitor

You know what else always remedied tearing? Vsync.

VRR matter but now it's not an excuse to sacrifice perfomance without it. Sorry John but this time you said a bullshit here with all respect. Honestly it's good to have it but if developer will start this practice I will be really pissed off. AND it's not like suddenly all TVs will have VRR.

Pretty much. If there's no vsync option in games, then that's bogus.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
So you didn't watch the whole video. That's fine, there's plenty more.

One X performance is pretty poor, I admit

Sidestepping this whole discussion, it's kind of disappointing to see a supposed next gen game looking exactly the same as a current gen game, outside of framerate/resolution differences.

[Sigma]

After all that "native" talk ive been reading, things are looking pretty dynamic on the X side too. Must be something wrong with the hardware lol.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
4k 60fps is completely unreasonable for a $500 system, the faster we move on and accept that it will be dynamic/checkerboard/temporal upscaling the better. Hell, I'd be happy with 1440p and 60fps on great looking AAA titles.

4k 60fps is completely unreasonable for a $500 system, the faster we move on and accept that it will be dynamic/checkerboard/temporal upscaling the better. Hell, I'd be happy with 1440p and 60fps on great looking AAA titles.

It's already dynamic 4K on the Series X. I think they pushed too hard too fast to get it to 60fps after everyone complained that it was announced to be 30fps a few months ago.

carsar

Difference between native 4k and dynamic(80-90%) is easily noticeable. VRS or native 4k don't bother me at all.
If XsX runs the game at 4k VRS 60fps - it is comparable to 3090(yes, it hasn't VRS, pc problem)

You don’t know that, so maybe don’t try and “clarify” anything. If it was just something they have to enable it would already be there. Clearly they have had some problems with it.

The PS5 doesn’t have VRR. It might one day, maybe, but it doesn’t now and it might never.

Might never... gtfoh with that. Even you don't believe that. PS5 will have VRR in 2021, guaranteed.

assurdum

Banned
So how does it play on PS5? Does it have less screen tearing and frame drops than on the series x?

oh right, you don’t know.

and yes, playing best with a VRR tv still means that it “plays best on series x”. On the ps5 it will have tearing and drops. On the Xbox with VRR it doesn’t cause problems when it drops. Plays best on Xbox. Accept it and move on.

So you think it will be locked 60fps with no tearing on the ps5? Really now? Lol. Let me guess, something something IO SSD?
Uh why not, could run at lower dynamic resolution on ps5 with more stable FPS. Valhalla seems run without tearing on pro (at lower res) where on one X there is tearing too if I'm not wrong. That's you people who wanted higher resolution at all cost in more powerful Xbox machine then take your poison.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I think this roots from the western/capitalist need to validate and define aesthetics by brand/PR/buzzwords. This is a chronical condition.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I asked a simple question have you seen any PS5 games with FPS dips & screen tearing so far?
So do you think that the PS5 version is going to run with a locked 60fps frame rate? Do you think literally every game is going to run at their max locked frame rate all the time on PS5?

lol warrior harder

Might never... gtfoh with that. Even you don't believe that. PS5 will have VRR in 2021, guaranteed.
So where is it? Why doesn’t it have it now? You must know since you’re guaranteeing it gets it soon, right?

Last edited:
I think this roots from the western/capitalist need to validate and define aesthetics by brand/PR/buzzwords. This is a chronical condition.

Definetely western. Capitalist would mean to search and find the sweet spot between cost, performance and graphical fidelity in order to have a balanced product which will sell good because it satisfies as many consumers as possible. Western means to pull out as many "big guns" as possible in terms of all kinds of numbers and everything else takes a backseat in order to compensate for small dickedness. And that is with no regard to both consoles, but merely a general observation as non-western foreigner among them.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I feel like the only people that actually care about this are console warriors. As long as it’s 60fps and 1080p minimum I couldn’t care less. Give me frames while the warriors count pixels they themselves can’t even notice.

I'm 100% on this. Give me as high a framerate as possible and i'm a happy gamer.

The truth shall set you free.... Another one.

Usual suspects crossing fingers, hoping and trusting Ubisoft to deliver their next-gen console warring win..... :messenger_grinning_squinting: The L's mountain keeps on growing.

Look at the mess that is Watch Dogs and Valhalla. Yikes. No matter how many people they throw at these projects it's always the same sort of issues on launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom