• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - Review Thread

Karak

51c4a4cb67b26af87e648f1d5c018db7.jpg
That looks so nasty. Whats going on with his hand and face and stuff.

And it was AMAZING
Fight me people

Rogue is awesome. Its short, on point, it switches the formula up enough to feel familiar but different. Ship stuff was worlds better than black flag, Characters were good with some flaw here and there and in terms of lore its pure fanservice and it never felt like a collectathlon even if it was of course somehow. Plus the setting was awesome.

It goes:
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
-Revelations
-Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
- Assassin's Creed: Rogue
Assassin's Creed Unity (V)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate (VI)
Assassin's Creed Origins (VII)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (VIII)
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (IX)

If anything Rogue would be V. Black Flag was a Game based on last gen engine as well as Rogue so there would be that (in terms of numerical coherence if there would´ve been any) but what is the way bigger reason is that Rogue is the immediate prequel to Unity, like very immediate (won´t say more because of spoilers, but that "twist" is one of the best moments in the franchise).

Karak

Rogue is awesome. Its short, on point, it switches the formula up enough to feel familiar but different. Ship stuff was worlds better than black flag, Characters were good with some flaw here and there and in terms of lore its pure fanservice and it never felt like a collectathlon even if it was of course somehow. Plus the setting was awesome.

If anything Rogue would be V. Black Flag was a Game based on last gen engine as well as Rogue so there would be that (in terms of numerical coherence if there would´ve been any) but what is the way bigger reason is that Rogue is the immediate prequel to Unity, like very immediate (won´t say more because of spoilers, but that "twist" is one of the best moments in the franchise).
Ah ya. Someone else who knows the stuff in Rogue!

Andodalf

Banned
I really wish rogue kept the twist of the game a twist instead of the main selling point. Playing as a templar would be as big a twist as Hatham, and not too far from the modern day stuff in one.

Karak

I really wish rogue kept the twist of the game a twist instead of the main selling point. Playing as a templar would be as big a twist as Hatham, and not too far from the modern day stuff in one.
Ya fair complaint. Its interesting that when we were discussing this in our discord every single one of the games seems to have...a problem of that sort in the core story. I guess that's just due to how they tell the tale.

evanm137

Neo Member
Assassin's Creed jumped the shark WAY too much after Syndicate. Origins was horrible and while Odyssey was slightly more my style, I still didn't really care for it. And once again, Valhalla, much like the past 2 games is getting "good" but not "great" reviews. Looks like I won't be bothering.

The series clearly went downhill after Black Flag, but at least the series still felt like actual Assassin's Creed through Syndicate.

Now this is just a poor man's RPG with a few classic Assassin's Creed elements sprinkled around at various points.

Screw the people who ruined this series.

Last edited:

I would disagree on that. I feel a twist similar to Haythams would be too much of the same and wouldn´t have such an impact because the game in itself was too small. AC3 was this Monumental (for the time) epic tale in scope and length... Rogue was shorter, sharper and knew from the beginning to the end what it wanted and where it wanted to go.

Plus, the modern day part of Rogue, especially Otso Berg and his establishment as a character (and partially Violet de Costa as well) was kind of the groundwork for what followed in the comics (whether transmedia and the way its handled by ubisoft is a good idea is a whole different conversation) and truth be told, what followed (the Templars Series in the Comics) is genuinely one of the best Storyarcs in the whole Franchise regardless the medium.

Karak

Considering its a joke item, that makes perfect sense. Since when is an RPG having silly optional items something to get offended by?
Ya that's one of many lol. Personally I bought that fucker right away cause it cracks me up to smooth the waters in a unicorn boat

Stoked to see people her digging the shit out of Rogue and Syndicate. 2 of my favorites

Last edited:

Aesius

Assassin's Creed jumped the shark WAY too much after Syndicate. Origins was horrible and while Odyssey was slightly more my style, I still didn't really care for it. And once again, Valhalla, much like the past 2 games is getting "good" but not "great" reviews. Looks like I won't be bothering.

The series clearly went downhill after Black Flag, but at least the series still felt like actual Assassin's Creed through Syndicate.

Now this is just a poor man's RPG with a few classic Assassin's Creed elements sprinkled around at various points.

What are you smoking? Origins was great and far better than bloated Odyssey.

SolidSlug

Neo Member
So much talent and so much work to deliver another beautiful edition of the freaking same formula.

They could keep making those until people stop buying them...and they probably will.

Assassin's Creed jumped the shark WAY too much after Syndicate. Origins was horrible and while Odyssey was slightly more me style, I still didn't really care for it. And once again, Valhalla, much like the past 2 games is getting "good" but not "great" reviews. Looks like I won't be bothering.

Reviews for Odyssey were in the upper 80s, lower 90s, so on average something around 85to87 iirc?

The thing with the switch is that after the unity escapade Syndicate was received lukewarm and sold terrible, there seemed to be a general consensus that the "classic" principle is not doing it anymore and Origins sold better than Syndicate, Odyssey did even better so the new direction seems to be successful so the follow that path... edit: Odyssey was under criticism from the more core AC fanbase for being "too magical", "not an AC anymore" so they went back to a more origins like approach.

Last edited:
Stoked to see people her digging the shit out of Rogue and Syndicate. 2 of my favorites

because they got the heat or flew under the radar for things they couldn´t anything for, actually both suffered from Unity somehow lol first Rogue because nobody cared and everybody was like "oh next gen AC" and Syndicate because everybody was like "meh another unity in london no thanks" :D

Pimpbaa

Any other year I would wait for a sale, but I'm going to want to buy as many next gen games as possible (crossgen or not) and this seems to be getting some pretty good reviews.

Their engine favors the DirectX API. It should improve well if they put the time on PC and XSX on subsequent patches.

On PS platforms is going to be rough. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've been reading.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I have the game pre loaded on my PC. You're going to have to provide better screens.....the game looks like ass from the shots you provided.

Lol dude, maybe rdr2 is better looking but that's about it. Good trolling tho. The game loosk drop dead gorgeous. Animations are top notch also. Nothing like those shitty preview trailers of xbox version that is 100% nuked down in visuals in order to even get to 4k, the game is a GPU hog. Wildlife is great. I would rank it currently above origin and odyssey visually. But however england can change this i am just at the start tho and taking my time.

Rocks textures, snow is great, everything is really rich detailed on top of it. voice acting is great and the opening was absolutely fantastic. The only downside visually so far is the character head model which could have been a bit more detailed however facial animations are great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
reviews are honesty more favorable than I anticipated

maybe I will pick it up tomorrow on the xsx

sendit

Lol dude, maybe rdr2 is better looking but that's about it. Good trolling tho. The game loosk drop dead gorgeous. Animations are top notch also. Nothing like those shitty preview trailers of xbox version that is 100% nuked down in visuals in order to even get to 4k, the game is a GPU hog. Wildlife is great. I would rank it currently above origin and odyssey visually. But however england can change this i am just at the start tho and taking my time.

Rocks textures, snow is great, everything is really rich detailed on top of it. voice acting is great and the opening was absolutely fantastic. The only downside visually so far is the character head model which could have been a bit more detailed however facial animations are great.

**Your screens** l
ook like ass and state the complete opposite of what you're saying. How hard is that to understand? I'll experience the game for myself in 4 hours.

Last edited:
I really wish they would put more effort into the facial models, animations and motion capture. Now they scream last-gen and look really dated. Well, there were many games last generation that were insanely impressive in that department so it's a shame they didn't bother.

JayK47

Seems people either love it or hate it. Watching some videos I thought it had a Black Flag vibe, which was a great game that did not feel like an Assassin's Creed game. This is the only Assassin's Creed game I have any interest in beyond Black Flag. I enjoyed Syndicate, which I recieved for free on Epic. I may pick this up at some point. Doesn't look like it is on Steam. Shame.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Great to see it's getting good reviews. The setting alone will probably make this a 85+ game for me as long as the gameplay is about as good as Odyssey.

Before I pay full price, any discount sites have keys? The usual places don't seem to be carrying it.

I really wish they would put more effort into the facial models, animations and motion capture. Now they scream last-gen and look really dated. Well, there were many games last generation that were insanely impressive in that department so it's a shame they didn't bother.
RgVl7Wz.jpg

Graphics aside(even that’s debatable) even older AC games had better facial animations

Last edited:

GymWolf

I just locked the game at 30 so i can at least enjoy the eye candy at 4k ultra, no way this game can run at rock solid 60 frame all the time no matter what settings i use.

The game really doesnt look good enough to be so heavy, rdr2 looks far better except some secondary npc, same for at least half a dozen of current gen other open world games except for the water, but that was already great in the 2 previous games.

The combat plays better than how it looks on video, still nothing more than acceptable but slightly better than odissey, but i only played 90 minutes.

Digital acting is hilarious as usual.

TMLT

About 3 hours in, still in Scandinavia and am really liking it so far, although its a bit unpolished at times.

They should have just made it a new IP though because at this point things have gotten so, so far from AC.

Kenpachii

PLayed it now for 10 hours about that got out of norway into england.

My review so far.

Positives:
- visuals better then origin and odyssey, norway looked amazing and start area of england is great.
- textures high detailed and rich.( better then odyssey )
- environments high detailed and rich ( better then odyssey )
- city's look incredible detailed and are well crafted.
- animals life is great and better done then in odyssey, more on the idea of origin
- norway is pretty darn big not even remotely done with exploring there yet.
- I like that god board game they have its addicting
- animations are great and on par with odyssey i see so far
- face animations are better then in odyssey and origin
- Story is interesting so far
- voice acting of the guy is great better than odyssey on par with origin
- loading is quick england to norway = 5 seconds load time on a 3,5gbps ssd.
- Game feels like witcher 3 mixed with origin. It feels more like witcher 4 we never had.
- surprising low encounters of enemy's
- combat, its good for people that like to go into camps and delete things like a warrior if you don't, its probably worse then origin oddyssey as what i found out so far ( still need to get into this tho in england so many it changes up ).
- surprisingly stable for day one experience zero issue's so far.
- less focus so far on mindless camp killing more focus on exploring which i like.
- background music is great.
- side characters are likeable all of them.
-saving problems odyssey had are fixed in this game.

negatives:
- performance hog, barely maintain 60 fps with dips to mid 50's in demanding area's ( norway city ) 99% at 60+ thoi on a 9900k 5,1ghz and 1080ti oced to 2000mhz. ( ultra settings volumetric clouds to high ) 1080p.
- Boat can get stuck if you push it on ground to much.
- Control changes from origin and odyssey makes things difficult
- Not a fan of the skill map, u don't know where skills are and are just pushing points to search for meaningful upgrades i liked origin and odyssey a lot more on this front.
- Bird is kinda useless so far, prefered if they kept it in the origin and odyssey style really.
- locking skins behind stables etc that u can only get in england and not in norway annoying because this made me move out of norway before i actually wanted to move out of there.
- not a fan of the raids, feels meh. Rather stealth ( u can still do that do ).
- visuals can be inconsistent for example, when u dock at your camp the visuals look like just bad everything just looks janky but after the fight the entire map just looks gorgeous next level of vegetation and just a painting really. Didn't do much in england yet but u can see this being a thing in england more as its bigger. Odyssey also had this.
- fire can look really really bad, clearly massively downgraded it from odyssey and origin for obvious reasons performance.
- lower amount of visual settings also reboot on changes is annoying to say the least. game boots faster then odyssey and origin tho so there's that.
- models specifically heads can be really inconsistent. one moment they look servable other moment it looks like some last gen effort with barely any skin tone on it or really simplistic design. Wish they kept this more consistant.
- boat can look last gen at times for some reason.

Conclusion so far in short.

Having a absolute blast, game looks great on ultra and feels great to play. The game really really feels like witcher 4 specially the moment u hit the first norse bigger city. Exploration is more of a thing in this game and nothing really feels like a grind so far. Interesting story line so far that keeps you going and yea i like it.

Hope the game can keep up with what it serves in england.

It's better than i expected after watching those borky xbox gameplay sessions people showcased.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Make sure your vram isnt topping out. I put everything on max settings with my 980ti, and the benchmark was running at an average of 15fps lol. I noticed the vram bar showed a full 6gb being used. I turned down Environment textures down once, the vram bar dropped to 4 something vram used, and the benchmark was at a full 60fps at 1080p lol.
Never seen vram topping out effect a game as bad as that.

Didn't I tell people back when reviewing Crysis and Horizon that these games are bandwidth hungry and yes, the allocation is indicative of what they are doing under the hood. If your VRAM gets exhausted, your framerates will plummet due to the fetches to main memory across the slow bus. That's why I bought a 3090. I've seen this in my own development.

VFXVeteran

Banned
PLayed it now for 10 hours about that got out of norway into england.

My review so far.

Positives:
- visuals better then origin and odyssey, norway looked amazing and start area of england is great.
- textures high detailed and rich.( better then odyssey )
- environments high detailed and rich ( better then odyssey )
- city's look incredible detailed and are well crafted.
- animals life is great and better done then in odyssey, more on the idea of origin
- norway is pretty darn big not even remotely done with exploring there yet.
- I like that god board game they have its addicting
- animations are great and on par with odyssey i see so far
- face animations are better then in odyssey and origin
- Story is interesting so far
- voice acting of the guy is great better than odyssey on par with origin
- loading is quick england to norway = 5 seconds load time on a 3,5gbps ssd.
- Game feels like witcher 3 mixed with origin. It feels more like witcher 4 we never had.
- surprising low encounters of enemy's
- combat, its good for people that like to go into camps and delete things like a warrior if you don't, its probably worse then origin oddyssey as what i found out so far ( still need to get into this tho in england so many it changes up ).
- surprisingly stable for day one experience zero issue's so far.
- less focus so far on mindless camp killing more focus on exploring which i like.
- background music is great.
- side characters are likeable all of them.
-saving problems odyssey had are fixed in this game.

negatives:
- performance hog, barely maintain 60 fps with dips to mid 50's in demanding area's ( norway city ) 99% at 60+ thoi on a 9900k 5,1ghz and 1080ti oced to 2000mhz. ( ultra settings volumetric clouds to high ) 1080p.
- Boat can get stuck if you push it on ground to much.
- Control changes from origin and odyssey makes things difficult
- Not a fan of the skill map, u don't know where skills are and are just pushing points to search for meaningful upgrades i liked origin and odyssey a lot more on this front.
- Bird is kinda useless so far, prefered if they kept it in the origin and odyssey style really.
- locking skins behind stables etc that u can only get in england and not in norway annoying because this made me move out of norway before i actually wanted to move out of there.
- not a fan of the raids, feels meh. Rather stealth ( u can still do that do ).
- visuals can be inconsistent for example, when u dock at your camp the visuals look like just bad everything just looks janky but after the fight the entire map just looks gorgeous next level of vegetation and just a painting really. Didn't do much in england yet but u can see this being a thing in england more as its bigger. Odyssey also had this.
- fire can look really really bad, clearly massively downgraded it from odyssey and origin for obvious reasons performance.
- lower amount of visual settings also reboot on changes is annoying to say the least. game boots faster then odyssey and origin tho so there's that.
- models specifically heads can be really inconsistent. one moment they look servable other moment it looks like some last gen effort with barely any skin tone on it or really simplistic design. Wish they kept this more consistant.
- boat can look last gen at times for some reason.

Conclusion so far in short.

Having a absolute blast, game looks great on ultra and feels great to play. The game really really feels like witcher 4 specially the moment u hit the first norse bigger city. Exploration is more of a thing in this game and nothing really feels like a grind so far. Interesting story line so far that keeps you going and yea i like it.

Hope the game can keep up with what it serves in england.

It's better than i expected after watching those borky xbox gameplay sessions people showcased.

How would you rate the graphics compared to what's out there now? How would you rate it against PS4 God of War for example? Is it on the realm of what you would consider 'next-gen'? What games do you consider next-gen?

Last edited:

Stuart360

How would you rate the graphics compared to what's out there now? How would you rate it against PS4 God of War for example? Is it on the realm of what you would consider 'next-gen'? What games do you consider next-gen?
VFX you should just buy a month of Uplay+, then you can play both Watchdogs and Valhalla. Thats what i have done.

Their engine favors the DirectX API. It should improve well if they put the time on PC and XSX on subsequent patches.

On PS platforms is going to be rough. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've been reading.
You are probably wrong. On current gen the best versions, the ones with the most stable performance, are PS4 and Pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom