• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - Review Thread

What formula? Copy and pasta everything except the window dressing?

That's like arguing about FPS games formula. Every FPS game since the 90s has a basic foundation that goes like this Hold a Gun in Your Hand > walk into a room > Kill bad guys > Go to next Room > kill bad guys > go to next room > kill boss > go to next room > kill bad guys > go to room and win. What are FPS games do different now? Or why do people keep buying Call of Duty games for strictly either campaigns or multiplayer? Because they enjoy the repetition and the formula that products provides, that's why, and every new iteration either brings something new or makes it better (sometimes worse) but you get the idea.

or racing games and third person shooter, every Uncharted game from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 4 practically plays the same way with additions of new graphical engines, technology and smoother experiences. All games are repetitive but it comes down to simply if that repetition is "fun and enjoyable" or "boring and bland". What about MMORPG games? Look at World of Warcraft, every time a new expansions come out it's a reset all over again, new levels, new dungeons and new raids, but you are doing the same thing you did 8 to 10 years ago. Come on man lol.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I already didn’t like the combat and it’s some how even worse now.

Yep big wait for me.

Next up Godfall....

Don’t disappoint!

MMaRsu

Banned
That's like arguing about FPS games formula. Every FPS game since the 90s has a basic foundation that goes like this Hold a Gun in Your Hand > walk into a room > Kill bad guys > Go to next Room > kill bad guys > go to next room > kill boss > go to next room > kill bad guys > go to room and win. What are FPS games do different now? Or why do people keep buying Call of Duty games for strictly either campaigns or multiplayer? Because they enjoy the repetition and the formula that products provides, that's why, and every new iteration either brings something new or makes it better (sometimes worse) but you get the idea.

or racing games and third person shooter, every Uncharted game from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 4 practically plays the same way with additions of new graphical engines, technology and smoother experiences. All games are repetitive but it comes down to simply if that repetition is "fun and enjoyable" or "boring and bland". What about MMORPG games? Look at World of Warcraft, every time a new expansions come out it's a reset all over again, new levels, new dungeons and new raids, but you are doing the same thing you did 8 to 10 years ago. Come on man lol.

So are u saying theres no need to innovate bc ppl still play wow?

So are u saying theres no need to innovate bc ppl still play wow?

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Surprised to see you put off by one review Bo. ACG doesnt like it as much as Odyssey, which we both love, but the other reviews seem to be tracking a bit higher than Odyssey so far.

I don't know man, gonna give it a leap of faith after Spiderman MM then. Don't wanna spoil the game with those reviews.

Dibils2k

i heard there is barely any side quests? please let it be true, will dig into reviews later but gonna get it anyway for the 60fps on Series X

I don't see much point to play Valhalla when i played origins.
See you all next time,

I guess i will spend my cash on destiny 2 newest expansion.
The point in playing Valhalla is exactly the same as in case of Destiny 2 expansion.

It's more of the same. Which is not a bad thing, if you enjoy it.

🤷‍♂️

Karak

Surprised to see you put off by one review Bo. ACG doesnt like it as much as Odyssey, which we both love, but the other reviews seem to be tracking a bit higher than Odyssey so far.
Ya I mean each to their own. I was seeing others who reviewed it and got game save corruptions, crashes, low fps, screen tearing, and didn't like the story changes and still rated it a 9 out of 10. So I mean...at some point I guess all is what it is. I always think checking out a couple reviews is best anyway

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The point in playing Valhalla is exactly the same as in case of Destiny 2 expansion.

It's more of the same. Which is not a bad thing, if you enjoy it.

🤷‍♂️
Not really i know for a fact destiny 2 will run just fine. I have some big question marks day 1 with assass on pc

GreyHorace

Ya I mean each to their own. I was seeing others who reviewed it and got game save corruptions, crashes, low fps, screen tearing, and didn't like the story changes and still rated it a 9 out of 10. So I mean...at some point I guess all is what it is. I always think checking out a couple reviews is best anyway

I always find your reviews indepth and informative, which I'm thankful for. So I have to ask, how does Assassin's Creed Valhalla compare to Ghost of Tsushima?

assassins-creed-valhalla-ghost-of-tsushima.jpg

Mojoraisin

Looks so damn boring - not sure why really. The fighting system looks clunky and the brownish tint to eveything. If the story is nothing great there’s no hope for me. My feelings are similar to when Ass Creed 3 dropped after the pinnacle of the series - #2 (with additions).

I’ll go back and play unity in great performance instead. Maybe I’ll finally finish that game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Those are some mixed reviews alright...

Some say that story and combat are good, some say the opposite :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Mmnow

That Vice review is something else. Says the game is good but hypocritical due to the abuse cases within Ubisoft...

Gee I wonder if Cyberpunk 2077 reviews will be also full of this shit with worker abuse blabla ...
I mean, yeah?

I get the anti-PC brigade not liking rainbow Viking ships, and would completely understand a blowback to that.

But when a creative team put out a story espousing peace and love, parity of the sexes, the evils of capitalism - whatever - and they don't live that behind the scenes, they should be called out for it.

If a major plot point of Cyberpunk is people working themselves to death because capitilism is evil, and we're all supposed to give CD Project woke points for that, it isn't going to happen. They'd be playing out the role of the bad guys in their own story and expecting to be patted on the head for it. It wouldn't be wrong for a critic to address that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No wonder publishers don't care anymore about any day 1 QC then. Dump it now fix it later (maybe)

DavidGzz

Launching with a new console plus 4k 60 equals a purchase. I'd probably wait if I wasn't on that new gen hype train. I bought Mad Dash on the original Xbox and Perfect Dark Zero on the 360 at launch guys, this is a 10/10 compared to those lol.

Edit: wtf, the scores are great. The talk in here makes it seem worse than Crackdown 3. Jesus.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Launching with a new console plus 4k 60 equals a purchase. I'd probably wait if I wasn't on that new gen hype train. I bought Mad Dash on the original Xbox and Perfect Dark Zero on the 360 at launch guys, this is a 10/10 compared to those lol.

Edit: wtf, the scores are great. The talk in here makes it seem worse than Crackdown 3. Jesus.

Every game that isn’t made by Sony gets shit on here. They’re threatened very easily, and know that 3rd party games like this will run better on Xbox

how suprising the reviews are: if one likes the franchise and the new formula there is fun to be had, if one does not like the franchise and/or the new formula this game might not be for you, if one expects a medieval viking hatred there will be also very suprising disappointment on that behalf... Now who could´ve seen that coming, stunning bravery for everybody. Have to wait at least until next week when the ps5 arrives but still thinking about scalping the box since prices are on the rise and the lust for money is stronger than the AC Fanboism.

Inviusx

Seems suspect. Especially if they are allowing people to "review" the console. Not trying to start shit, just how I feel.

The tinfoil hatted amongst us might take it as a sign of Sony not wanting its third party games compared to Xbox yet.

2 more days and we can finally be free of media embargo bullshit and lay it all out to bare.

Top Bottom