• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - Review Thread

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
That does seem to be the case, Vikings also will do no pillaging, raping to innocents
No they’re not painted as bad guys but the problem is Vikings are painted as good people, well more than they ever were in history.
but don’t get too upset the game isn’t all that deep. They tried to keep everything natural.
They even went out of their way to make sure you can’t kill civilians as Vikings in your raids. You could go on killing sprees in Odyssey but no Vikings didn’t kill or rape in their pillages.

The Vikings were aggressive colonisers. They raped and pillaged, and also enslaved people.

I guess as you're playing a Viking they want you to be portrayed as a good person, but it goes against the historical image of the Danes.

Nobody in that era, Saxons includes, could be classed as good people by today's standards, but painting the Vikings with 2020 standards brush seems slightly bizarre. Although I wouldn't expect rape and enslavement in the game, showing the brutality of the era and how alien it is to the 21st century wouldn't go amiss.

The Vikings were aggressive colonisers. They raped and pillaged, and also enslaved people.

I guess as you're playing a Viking they want you to be portrayed as a good person, but it goes against the historical image of the Danes.

Nobody in that era, Saxons includes, could be classed as good people by today's standards, but painting the Vikings with 2020 standards brush seems slightly bizarre. Although I wouldn't expect rape and enslavement in the game, showing the brutality of the era and how alien it is to the 21st century wouldn't go amiss.

Welcome to the new era. Unfortunately showing history accurately is now a crime.

2l31vvn.jpg

Whatever helps you sleep at night dude. Pathetic behaviors honestly. I expected better. You have zero counter points and just want to live in a bubble. I think Era has a nice AC OT. Go there for seeking safe space. I’m sorry your favorite game is trash. Truth sucks.
would’ve loved to delve deeper about the issues the game has but you’re not fit. Maybe one day.

And yet you're still here acting a like a dumbass crying about how the game is trash but hey keep it up.

Starfield

It's a video game with a viking setting. Its never stated that it is historically accurate and since Origins people know that AC hasn't been accurate at all so whats the point?

This isn' a situation like with Battlefield V where they basically tried to sell it as a WW2 shooter with historal accuracy while its not.

FunkMiller

Virtually the same as Watch Dogs Legion - because that's what all Ubisoft games are.

Every review will say it's a decent enough game, but without anything original or next gen in it.

Last edited:

J3nga

What AC defenders don't understand or don't want to understand, that there's a major flaw with game design which forces you to grind repetitive quests. Wanna skip our boring-ass quests? Check out our virtual shop and get yourself some experience boosters or grind that shit till your fingers fall off. You can still like the game and I'm not going to try changing your mind but you have to be totally ignorant to not admit that. I survived that in Origins, but I couldn't do that in Odyssey, it just bored me to death after around 10 hours.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
come on be good i don't mind playing an ASSASS game if the reviews are ok.. and not a shit pc port

Virtually the same as Watch Dogs Legion - because that's what all Ubisoft games are.

Every review will say it's a decent enough game, but without anything original or next gen in it.
I don't know if from 30 to 60 fps is not next gen enough than what is tbh

Concern

That does seem to be the case, Vikings also will do no pillaging, raping to innocents

Now this is horse shit. If im going to be a Viking, it means im going to be a viking. Raiding, murdering innocent people and all types of ill shit 🤣🤣.

Its not like i can't kill innocent people in other games. Fuckin ubi

Mista

Banned
Might want to update OP

PC Gamer: 92/100
Bloody and captivating, Valhalla is Assassin's Creed at its best.

Polygon: Unscored
Valhalla’s most intriguing story is one about faith, honor, and family, but it’s buried inside this massive, massive world stuffed with combat and side quests. That balance is not always ideal, but I’m glad, at least, that it forces me to spend more time seeking out interesting things in the game’s world.

Usgamer: 3.5/5
Assassin's Creed Valhalla's vision of ninth-century England is a beautiful place to explore, populated with a great cast of characters who make up for the bland new protagonist, Eivor. Nevertheless, the tired overarching story of Templars and Assassins, and a design ethos that overstuffs the setting with side activities, add unnecessary bloat and distractions to the experience. Valhalla's a solid action-adventure game that does well to capture the turmoil of its historical era, but it's weighed down by the increasingly ponderous legacy of the series it represents.

Destructoid: 6.5/10
But I also found myself making excuses for Assassin's Creed Valhalla until I couldn't any longer. It mimics the Odyssey formula but takes a step backward in almost every way. It sacrifices story for scale. It's designed to discourage stealth in favor of epic battles. It's true to the Viking experience, but it isn't true to the Assassin's Creed experience. That's why it comes off feeling like the least essential game in the whole series. Impressive in some of its accomplishments, but inessential all the same.

Wccftech: 8.5/10
Assassin's Creed Valhalla is a definite step up for the series, thanks to the many tweaks made to the RPG mechanics that powered the previous two entries in the series, better storytelling, great atmosphere, and meaningful side-content. Even with the tweaks, however, Assassin's Creed Valhalla is still an Assassin's Creed game at heart, so those who are not into the Ubisoft open-world game design will hardly change their opinion with the game. Everyone else will probably love every second of Eivor's adventure, especially if they are into Vikings and ancient Norse culture.

GamingBolt: 9/10
Assassin's Creed's third crack at the massive open world RPG formula is also its most confident, making for a streamlined yet sprawling adventure that ranks as one of the best the series has delivered since its inception over a decade ago.

ACG ( Karak Karak ): Wait for Sale

IGN: 8/10
Assassin's Creed Valhalla is a massive, beautiful open-world fueled by brutal living and the dirty work of conquerors. It's a lot buggier than it should be but also impressive on multiple levels.

Eurogamer: Recommended
Valhalla is another enormous Assassin's Creed saga, lavishly designed, with its sights set on story direction over narrative choice.

Game Informer: 9.3/10
Assassin's Creed Valhalla is full of interesting stories and fun interlocking systems, making it an engrossing world you can easily get lost in

GameSpot: 8/10
Though its campaign takes time to get going, Assassin's Creed Valhalla brings a satisfying finish to the current saga of the franchise.

Games Radar: 4.5/5
With a sprawling world to conquer and gory combat but also the chance to use that iconic hidden blade, Assassin's Creed Valhalla brings a triumphant balance to the series.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Now this is horse shit. If im going to be a Viking, it means im going to be a viking. Raiding, murdering innocent people and all types of ill shit 🤣🤣.

Its not like i can't kill innocent people in other games. Fuckin ubi
Someone will make a Hot Coffee-esque mod down the line I'm sure lmao

Last edited:

Spukc

all male players should be forced to play female to get all achievements 🦆 🍷 :pie_roffles: 🥖 :messenger_sunglasses:

Spukc

I don't see much point to play Valhalla when i played origins.
See you all next time,

I guess i will spend my cash on destiny 2 newest expansion.

the 6.5 for fixing most odyssey problems is really a "different" opinion to my ears.

I've looked at a few reviews briefly, not that I care much, but most are saying they streamlined the experience and cut the fat, prolly because they saw how well some of the Sony exclusives are received and are just trying to remove all that bloat. I liked the rpg and all the loot from Odyssey but I doubt I'll dislike the entire game for that. Glad to see most ppl praising the story.

martino

I've looked at a few reviews briefly, not that I care much, but most are saying they streamlined the experience and cut the fat, prolly because they saw how well some of the Sony exclusives are received and are just trying to remove all that bloat. I liked the rpg and all the loot from Odyssey but I doubt I'll dislike the entire game for that. Glad to see most ppl praising the story.
i'll see by myself but it feels the reviewer didn't tried to play stealth and play the most obvisous 'choice'
a problem on lot of rpg tests.
i intent to play stealth as most as possible and i will see how much it's possible in the game.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Looks good but ACG shows a bunch of stuff that what annoy this hell out of me. Think I’ll wait for a sale.

If cyberpunk gets delayed again I’ll prob pick it up when done with Destiny 2 expansion.

Södy

Exactly what I expected. Sounds great. Anybody know at which time the game will be unlocked on Ubisoft Connect?

MastAndo

Gold Member
Exactly what I expected. Sounds great. Anybody know at which time the game will be unlocked on Ubisoft Connect?
Whenever it's midnight at the location you set your VPN to ;) ...or 12AM your actual time.

Some of the reviews sound even more promising than I had anticipated. Time to catch some zzz's, then dig into this one tomorrow.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Very good reviews so far. Its a shame the 6.5 and 3.5 will drag the score down, so my '86' is probably out of the window, but it should still hit low 80's.

Södy

Whatever time it is in the location you set your VPN to ;) ...or 12 AM your actual time.

Some of the reviews sound even more promising than I had anticipated. Time to catch some zzz's, then dig into this one tomorrow.

Oh that's awesome. Time to get VPN then :)

Inviusx

"Wait for a sale" seems like the most appropriate recommendation from ACG. This looks like it will be a pretty great bargain bin purchase in like 10 months.

regawdless

Banned
Seems to be good, might pick it up down the line on a sale. Currently playing WD Legion, then Cyberpunk. Which will take me a long time to finish, and I'll need a break after that. I can't play so many open world games in succession.

Top Bottom