• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Patch Tomorrow - Fixes XSX Screen Tearing, Adds Next-Gen 30fps Quality Mode

Shmunter

According people on Twitter Ubi has downgraded PS5 version and have more drops in framerate and tearing than previous patch
Hope ubi is getting the appropriate feedback here. Despite owning all of them, was looking forward to this being my first AC since Unity, but not like this.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Played like two hours this evening with new update on ps5. It still plays and looks the same as it did last night. 60fps with a few minor drops

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wait, are you sure they downgraded the graphics or are you just preparing for the worst?
I was preparing for the worst last night but John confirmed that the ps5 version does run worse after the update and recommended not to install it.

whyman

A bird told me that the drops in ps5 has nothing to do with the patch, but with the system update itself. More games are facing the same problem.....

Can't speak for other games but AC:V was running and looking fine after the Sony update. After UBI update it is looking worse but I would say runs very similar. Played the game several hours after each update. So I call BS

sinnergy

Can't speak for other games but AC:V was running and looking fine after the Sony update. After UBI update it is looking worse but I would say runs very similar. Played the game several hours after each update. So I call BS
Can be a combo, software development is tricky .

Kagey K

Banned
Maybe they made it parity with series X , NX gamer clearly said in his video , series X used higher settings in some effects and details .
This might be some of the extra effects they introduced into the game pushed past what PS5 could handle and produced new bugs.

But for the sake of parity they said go with it.

Otherwise they get accused of putting extra stuff in the Series X version and purposely knitting it from the PS5.

They are in a no win situation.

Kagey K

Banned
Stop with the FUD.
It’ll take a few more patches, but I don’t think the disparity stops here.

Ubi has shown they will take advantage of different systems hardware when they can.

They seem to care about the actual games, and not the console wars behind them.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
A bird told me that the drops in ps5 has nothing to do with the patch, but with the system update itself. More games are facing the same problem.....
Did that bird perchance look something like this?

Aaron-Greenberg.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And some of you thought ps5 was as powerful as xsx because of a few launch games.. as you can see its up to developers to utilize the hardware to the fullest.. yes both systems are powerful but too many scrubs on here getting carried away with cerney is a genius, another one gif and so on..

Ubisoft is a joke and this is proof the game actually runs worse now on ps5 lol let's hope they re release another patch soon get this gong show fixed.
This really isn't the gotcha some think it is.

It was better on PS5. Now its worse on PS5 and PC.

It didn't magically get worse on those 2 platforms....Ubi made it worse.

Well then, nevermind, lmao. The plot thickens....omg.

Last edited:
This really isn't the gotcha some think it is.

It was better on PS5. Now its worse on PS5 and PC.

It didn't magically get worse on those 2 platforms....Ubi made it worse.

Well then, nevermind, lmao. The plot thickens....omg.
Which most likely means the game should run the same on all platforms and this title really isn't some sort of benchmark showing PS5 superiority. Might have to put away the DJ Khaled 'another one' meme.

Larlight

Lol my god fuck Ubisoft. You know the gaming community is waiting for you to improve performance for the game you launched. So instead of fixing it, you cause a certain version of the game to run worse than before the patch? My god, the incompetence. I think the last good Ubisoft game I enjoyed truly was Assassin’s Creed 1. The very first one. You know before all their games became known for having the stale Ubisoft formula when it comes to open world games. Going to wait to buy this game then. Who knows when the next patch may end up bricking your console of choice....

Absolutely astounding how they downgraded the graphics on ps5 and at the same time made it perform worse.
And like I said before, lod transition and pop in are so much worse now. It's like these incompetent fucks don't know how to optimize.

longdi

Banned
Oh my, do you have a link of games having new perf issues? I wonder if this is for real and worth a look by DF?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Welp, there it is. Screen tearing was lack of optimization. Ubisoft not capable of fixing probably is another thing.

How about to fix general bugs? I mean it's probably too soon to want that, because there are so many of them. Brother has PS5 version and it's straight garbage, he sent me few clips, they are pretty funny not going to lie, but for that price... Damn.

The screen tearing part is probably the worst bug there is in any game.

Last edited:

Tranquil

This experience has taught me not to buy games day one, I'll be waiting 1-2 months for them to iron out the bugs.

It is obvious a bug or a mistake. Why do some of you have to act like this? Do you really think UBI had a meeting and said "hey we need to reduce performance on the PS5". This will be fixed and most likely fixed pretty quickly.
Nah, it's more a case of Ubi are inept rather than they had a meeting and decided to drop PS5 performance.
I'm sure they will fix it after a dozen more patches.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Well.......

Apparantly the ps5 hasn’t, atmos is the place to go for 3D audio no matter what you say.

I don’t see any tempest enabled amps at all lol
You’ll never see them. Tempest is built into the PS5, all processing is done within the console, from there the output is equipment agnostic. Does that help?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sonygaf has been hilarious.

"See!! God Emperor Cerny beat MS with less specs! Assassin's Creed proves it!!"

One week later

" Fuck MS for money hatting Ubisoft to cripple PS5!!!"

Why anyone thought Ubisoft was some kind of stellar benchmark is beyond me. They've never been known for cutting edge development. SDF is gonna SDF I guess.
I said this on a post the other day, last week Ubisoft were gaming gods because they ran a game better on ps5 and now it runs worse they have been paid lol.

ubisoft games are known for endless bugs and alsorts, they are no way to even gage how this gen will go. They are cross gen games and poorly optimised for both consoles. Even watchdogs which has parity on both machines is still not a great looking game. Both machines are far more capable the. What we are seeing

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You’ll never see them. Tempest is built into the PS5, all processing is done within the console, from there the output is equipment agnostic. Does that help?

so I can’t use my 7.1 speaker set up to its best only headphones. Atmos and DTS-X is better and always will be

Vae_Victis

Banned
So from what I'm understanding:
  • The XSX version at 60 fps is a bit better than before in some regards (less screen tearing, probably due to dipping below 60 less often) while being worse than before in others (lower settings and dynamic resolution)
  • The PS5 version at 60 is flat out worse than before the patch (lower settings, dynamic resolution [?] AND performance)
  • The 30 fps version on both consoles looks basically like the 60 fps version used to before the patch, but is locked at 30 and is juttery and unresponsive

Good job Ubi

X43uT8z.jpg

Shmunter

so I can’t use my 7.1 speaker set up to its best only headphones. Atmos and DTS-X is better and always will be
Sure you can. 7.1 is available on PS5.

But you won’t get real-time calibrated positional audio out of it as yet. The ultimate goal as presented by Sony is to use your 7.1 or any number of speakers to create a 3D soundstage. No doubt the goal of the inbuilt dual sense microphone will play part in this down the line.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sure you can. 7.1 is available on PS5.

But you won’t get real-time calibrated positional audio out of it as yet. The ultimate goal as presented by Sony is to use your 7.1 or any number of speakers to create a 3D soundstage. No doubt the goal of the inbuilt dual sense microphone will play part in this down the line.

but atmos gives you that and was available on last gen to

martino

It’ll take a few more patches, but I don’t think the disparity stops here.

Ubi has shown they will take advantage of different systems hardware when they can.

They seem to care about the actual games, and not the console wars behind them.
people saying otherwise here have multiple times proven the war is all they care about.

Last edited:

MCplayer

It definitely doesnt look as next gen on 60fps XSX now. Quite dissapointed tbh I almost think I preferred the screen tearing lol! A bit of a mess this, its either Ubi dont know the tech very well or these consoles cant do a great deal more than their predecessors, either way this game does not fill me with confidence
It never looked next gen what the hell.
Unity still looks miles better

DonJorginho

Banned
Bullshit or happening to a very select amount of people, been playing loads of 60fps games on the PS5 since the update and not one has dropped frames like Valhalla is for people.

Top Bottom