• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Gameplay Overview Trailer | Official 30 Minute Gameplay Walkthrough

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I wanted to play Vikings Assassin's Creed for many many years, but my hype deflated even before this gameplay trailer and it turns out I wasn't wrong.

At least Ghost of Tsushima will stratch that Japan AC itch this month. :)

Exentryk

Seems even more Witchery, which is nice.

BUT, this comes out close to Cyberpunk 2077, so will be buying it after that.

GHG

Gold Member
I really liked it when they changed up the formula with Origins, it felt fresh and different at the time. I thought it was the start of a new Ubisoft.

But no, it turns out that was just the new formula they were going to use as the basis of their annual re-skins. They treat this franchise like EA do their sports games and it's a shame.

GHG

Gold Member
Graphically, they never managed to top Unity. I know the game was broken at launch but it has been patched since then and is running silky smooth on a good PC. Would definitely recommend just for the visuals.

4BBFD355C518E1A9F7F7146505F1A98DBEFB1F36

It's a shame that game got trashed at launch, they were going in the right direction. It just needed less open world checklist stuff and more polish.

Lanrutcon

Was kind of worried at first, but this looks like it's turning out great.

That being said, I bet $50 that one of the DLCs is named "Ragnarok".

Game looks good. But unexciting.

Graphics are good, production values are high.

But it doesn't outdo what came before it. Seems like a step back. One would think 2-3 yrs of dev time after odyssey would allow them to improve it.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm biased as a fan of the new direction Assassin's Creed is going, but I thought the game looked pretty good. Loved Origins, enjoyed Odyssey for the most part, love Vikings, so yeah I'm excited to get my hands on Valhalla & start raiding the English coastline :messenger_horns::messenger_smiling_horns:

I hope it goes even further towards the ARPG genre than Odyssey. My only concern is that we haven't seen anything about micro-transactions yet. Is it going to be as bad as Odyssey in that way? Probably, let's be honest, but I'm still crossing my fingers & hoping maybe it's not. You never know.

This looks promising, gave me witcher III vibes. All I need to know is will the game look and run smooth on PS5, will there be a 60fps option?

Arun1910

Thought it looked great, especially in the footage from other Youtubers.

Combat looks fun and less janky than the leak, liking that they've bought back social stealth, have mini games, raids, customisable crew, deeper exploration puzzles. Really like the asthetic too, graphics are way better than Odyssey which wasn't too much a surprise seeing as it was the origins team.

My interest went up again after seeing more videos on Youtube and seeing all the new stuff they added. Looking forward to the story.

Loved Odyssey (that game was seriously virtual tourism), so I'm so ready for this Day 1. Aside from the gameplay that I really enjoy, I always play these games to experience the worlds they recreate. So much research goes into it and I can't wait to traverse Middle Age England and Norway. The game looks amazing.

SSfox

I'm kinda disappointed of the voice acting of the dude Eivor (the one i'm planning to play as), it's like they did it in purpose to push us to play the woman Eivor.

Hopefully in french it will be better, i'm planning to play as dude Eivor anyway, way more badass and logical imo.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
What, the cosmetic armor and ships? If it's on par with Odyssey we'll be fine.

Not just the armour & ships. The weapons & mounts & crafting materials & in-game currency & in-game currency booster & xp booster & on & on...

The entire online store. It was pretty bad.

I'm kinda tired of everyone shitting on Valhalla (not really here so much but other places like YouTube). I think the game looks fantastic. I definitely can't wait to play it, but it is unfortunate that it's coming out the same time as CP2077 and WDL.

cormack12

Gold Member
I've always liked ubi being historically accurate to an extent and I think it's nice that it shows, with the female Eivor why the vikings chose to go to other countries and rape women. Who actually looked like women.

Yes - this is a dark joke but it just came to me.

I think the game looked better than in the leaks. It was still up and down in quality though. I'm a fan of the individual mercenaries with unique abilities carryign over, and the legendary animals as well. Not a fan of carrying on the battlefield mechanic, we're meant to be stealthy assassin's not William Wallace.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Not just the armour & ships. The weapons & mounts & crafting materials & in-game currency & in-game currency booster & xp booster & on & on...

The entire online store. It was pretty bad.

No, it wasn't. I nearly platinum'd the game. The only stuff you couldn't get from playing was some of the cosmetics. Only reason to buy the boosters or currency was if you didn't want to play the game, which had infinite xp and resources. You had a harder time not overleveling than finding stuff.

TheContact

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is getting rid of traditional side quests, and replacing them with "World Events", Ubisoft has confirmed.
Speaking to GameSpot ahead of yesterday's gameplay reveal at Ubisoft Forward, Valhalla's narrative director Darby McDevitt confirmed that sidequests are "almost nonexistent" in the latest installment of the open world action series.
Instead, says McDevitt, Assassin's Creed Valhalla will be more focused on what Ubisoft calls "World Events", which are more spontaneous activities found outside the main campaign that don't necessarily fit the traditional structure of a typical side quest.

So I'm guessing this is like World Quests in WoW (or more accurately Public Quests from Warhammer Online), which in certain areas there are objectives you can choose to do which will randomly appear, but not that any one person is directing you to do something which you'll then have to return to in order to claim your reward. This is good because the world will feel more dynamic.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
No, it wasn't. I nearly platinum'd the game. The only stuff you couldn't get from playing was some of the cosmetics. Only reason to buy the boosters or currency was if you didn't want to play the game, which had infinite xp and resources. You had a harder time not overleveling than finding stuff.

Why are you starting an argument with me?

I played the game as well. Finished the main story & both of the expansions. I enjoyed it & I think the online store was bad. End of story.

Lanrutcon

Why are you starting an argument with me?

I played the game as well. Finished the main story & both of the expansions. I enjoyed it & I think the online store was bad. End of story.

You gave your opinion that Odyssey was bad "in that way". I asked what you were talking about. You answered. I gave you my opinion in return. Discourse.

I'm not sure what standard you're using the judge micro-transactions, but Odyssey was incredibly tame. I guess it would be preferable if didn't exist at all, but "It was pretty bad"? That seems like a bit of a strong reaction, even though you're entitled to your opinion.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
You gave your opinion that Odyssey was bad "in that way". I asked what you were talking about. You answered. I gave you my opinion in return. Discourse.

I'm not sure what standard you're using the judge micro-transactions, but Odyssey was incredibly tame. I guess it would be preferable if didn't exist at all, but "It was pretty bad"? That seems like a bit of a strong reaction, even though you're entitled to your opinion.

There's not going to be any debate here. Just a pointless back & forth that's a waste of your time & mine. If you weren't bothered by the online store... Cool. That's good for you.

Andodalf

Banned

So I'm guessing this is like World Quests in WoW (or more accurately Public Quests from Warhammer Online), which in certain areas there are objectives you can choose to do which will randomly appear, but not that any one person is directing you to do something which you'll then have to return to in order to claim your reward. This is good because the world will feel more dynamic.

From the gameplay we’ve seen there definitely are some traditional quests. Stuff along the line of: bump into someone, learn something about then, do something that will help them, return for a reward

Rikkori

Graphically, they never managed to top Unity. I know the game was broken at launch but it has been patched since then and is running silky smooth on a good PC. Would definitely recommend just for the visuals.

4BBFD355C518E1A9F7F7146505F1A98DBEFB1F36
Nope. Go outside and see pop-in everywhere and constantly, and the same 2 npcs copy&pasted 50 times for muh "crowd density". Even visually the game is subpar because their engine is shit & they tried to do more than they were capable of, cherry-picked screenshots notwithstanding.

LOFD.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Briefly skimmed the video.

Even set on 1080p quality, game looks trash. Also, it's either a bad upload or the game is really like this but most of the game's graphics are really dark and muddy.

Nope. Go outside and see pop-in everywhere and constantly, and the same 2 npcs copy&pasted 50 times for muh "crowd density". Even visually the game is subpar because their engine is shit & they tried to do more than they were capable of, cherry-picked screenshots notwithstanding.

LOFD.gif
I don't know on what you've played Unity but on PC it's one of the best looking games this generation.
E6VY53o.jpg

Rikkori

I don't know on what you've played Unity but on PC it's one of the best looking games this generation.
E6VY53o.jpg

I'm talking about 4K 60, stop with this bullshit. Like I said, you can take all the misleading screenshots you want but the reality remains disappointing. In motion the game simply falls apart due to extreme pop-in, low LOD at short distances and overall limited lighting outside interiors (where they could get baked GI).

Now compare that to what an actually visually stunning open-world game looks like in cities:

Last edited:
I'm talking about 4K 60, stop with this bullshit. Like I said, you can take all the misleading screenshots you want but the reality remains disappointing. In motion the game simply falls apart due to extreme pop-in, low LOD at short distances and overall limited lighting outside interiors (where they could get baked GI).

When I agree with the LOD pop-in, lighting and overall presentation of this game is amazing. Lighting is pre-calculated and baked. It's not dynamic. That's one of the main reason why Unity is such an eye candy.

mlt0iyv.jpg

4DRxAfr.jpg

UsMspRk.jpg

With all it’s shortcomings Unity is still the best looking current gen AC.

The game was truly lit. I still get depressed thinking about how a bigger, better more polished Unity would’ve looked.

I understand Ubi completely from business point, they’re winning.
Use a shitty engine, use old as fuck assets, reskin after reskin and write below mediocre stories yet get the big numbers.
Why would they want to change? They’re making bank and fan boys defend them to death.

I don’t have a problem with their business model but at least have the dignity to not use the AC name.

Algorum

Neo Member
Looks severely uninspired and this just makes me want the next entry in the elder scrolls series even more for some reason.

Last time I played an AC game was with Brotherhood and even then the experience felt mediocre.

GenericUser

I can't bring myself to watch anything "viking" related where the main protagonist is a women (female). I love women, but the main role screams "please let me be a buffed blonde eyed norse"

Last edited:

Alebrije

Looks nice but its basically odyssey with viking skin ....still interested but not for getting it at launch....for 30 bucks price will wait

Top Bottom