• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Gameplay Overview Trailer | Official 30 Minute Gameplay Walkthrough

SSfox

Games look so good these days :messenger_open_mouth:

aTZoVFl.jpg

1rGDwbiPq1jTQ7m6LanWpKsQ5bIq_jYj1iPuOP0tmbJhIgS29hAybBjR61ExsVvopJWcCBnyh2Cc_jAFtRnfPHQ6OhVG7Dw9O3I7GsGj1RuByRj6Fu4mX7_seAUeJlzA5n0_O-e1bGQrtLnEoNuZ12faviu2PVBegmY

Valentino

It's hard when you got people in here who enjoyed Odyssey, an AC game so far from it's identity. Then you have the other side who, like myself, can't grasp why Ubisoft are being so blatant with these humongous built games, but with no decency to the lore they made. Surely they see us calling them out on where the games have gone. I'll admit I've nearly platinumed Origins - something about that charcter and setting made me nolstalgic in a way? Like Egypt felt so mystical and hot visually nice. Odysey.............I swear I hated the length and kept going hot and cold on the story and characters............but when I spent an hour downloading it recently and did some side quests, I deleted the file again. It sucks, because it's a delicious looking game............I just can't remember the story that well because it took so fuckin long.

Ascend

Doesn't look much better than the latest Tomb Raider games. Then again, we can't immediately expect huge leaps either. Old engines on new hardware is like trying to go fast on a gravel road with a Lambo.

The female Eivor is offensive, both in how she looks and in how she sounds. Did they forget the point was to make you feel like a bad-ass Viking?

Whatever engine they are using needs to be retired forever. It's so janky with highly noticable pop-in constantly. And it runs like ASS. You will need a PC FAAAR more powerful than it should need to be to lock this at 60fps. Bascally, whatever you need for 30fps, you'll need 5x more power to lock it at 60. One of the most unoptimized engines currently in use.

Would like to see some gameplay and dialogue with male Eivor. If his character can't make me feel like a bad-ass Viking then this game is pointless.

If Gaf confirms, weeks after launch, the male Eivor is a bad-ass and the story is strong, I may consider trying this next year after I'm done playing Cyberpunk.

EDIT : I just head the voice of male Eivor and it's TERRIBLE WTF! Sounds like a scholar in a library, not a savage Viking!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I feel like I always get interested in the new setting and trailer of an assassins creed, but this looks like what always lets me down after I try every few titles. Same old AC with all its old gameplay frustrations.

Would I have to care about any of the other titles for this? Didn't they once have an end in mind, or are they just doing the unlimited money printer thing now?

hussar16

so let me get this straight you raid and destroy villages murder people just to put your village in instead. lets hope Ubisoft doesn't make the Vikings the good guys in this because the whole narrative is crumbling down here

Bragr

Banned
Some of you expect too much, it's a game primarily made for this generation, no wonder it's gonna feel similar to Odyssey. Personally, looks like a good upgrade with the settlement and expanded combat.

GymWolf

from skill up preview: the combat is unprecise, clunky, hit registration is bad, a lot of teleportation, enemy are dumb, but i still liked :ROFLMAO:

god this guy has such trash tastes...

Bragr

Banned
so let me get this straight you raid and destroy villages murder people just to put your village in instead. lets hope Ubisoft doesn't make the Vikings the good guys in this because the whole narrative is crumbling down here
Don't worry about it, the British are templars, the Vikings are just there to show them the errors of their ways by randomly killing, burning, and stealing everything they come across.

Andodalf

Banned
I feel like I always get interested in the new setting and trailer of an assassins creed, but this looks like what always lets me down after I try every few titles. Same old AC with all its old gameplay frustrations.

Would I have to care about any of the other titles for this? Didn't they once have an end in mind, or are they just doing the unlimited money printer thing now?

There was the Desmond modern day stuff, which had an end in AC3, then they had random weird meaningless modern day stuff, and have had a new modern day protagonist for the last 2 games who isn’t very liked and will be the MC for this game as well. In odyssey the modern day stuff was very negligible, mostly non existent till the DLC

HotPocket69

Banned
I love the new Hitman’s and that formula is what the new Ass Creed’s should’ve copied. Small, yet wide open dense spaces where you kill ONE specific target by any means necessary.

These new games are simply straight up comic fantasy, history murder sims.

BlackM1st

Banned
Some of you expect too much, it's a game primarily made for this generation, no wonder it's gonna feel similar to Odyssey. Personally, looks like a good upgrade with the settlement and expanded combat.
Current gen we got Black Flag on start, so it's easy to see why most ppl r disappointed. Settlement upgrade system is cool, but we had it since Ezio games (wow, a character to care about) and unfortunately it was never realised to its full potential.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Current gen we got Black Flag on start, so it's easy to see why most ppl r disappointed. Settlement upgrade system is cool, but we had it since Ezio games (wow, a character to care about) and unfortunately it was never realised to its full potential.
I liked building that city in Creed 2, but it's been long since they incorporated good long-term progression systems like that, and I like that they go back to it. I hope they bring back the "Send Assassins on missions" thing too. And I'm interested in things like hunting and fishing, if it's gonna worthwhile or suck.

BaneIsPain

Tbh a bit meh coming from a huge fan of AC but I still buy it because I'm a sucker for historical fiction game.
A very small improvement of "stealth" at least.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Bring back set characters like Ezio. This will be like FarCry 5, where you character is meaningless because they did both male/female options with no personality.

The female "warrior" in Valhalla is so generic looking. These bad decisions will hurt the game and Ubisoft is already cancelled by the SJW anyway. Everyone lose here.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
I haven't been following everything, but whatever happened to that cool looking character they showed in the 1st trailer of that game, you know that guy with a beard? Is this a
bait-and-switch? I am glad that I never trusted trailers.

Edit: OK, looks like you can choose a female and male protagonist like the last AC game?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Im fine with giving the option of choice for protag, but lets be honest. Ass creed hasnt been good since brotherhood.

I've played every AC game since the original. Last I finished was Origins, and I'm still sludging through the bloat of Odyssey. But Origins was good. The setting was great and it wasn't as bloated as Odyssey.

The best AC of this generation was Black Flag but Origins is a close second followed by Syndicate.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Thanks but no thanks .. I hate odyssey I hate the gameplay I hate the way the character moves.. here in Valhalla I can see Odyssey but with ugly protagonist

Valhalla is Odyssey but they changed the art , other than that the animation the water the way the character react for things is just copy and paste

Last edited:
So you can shave your beard and change your character's voice to have a higher pitch? I wonder what the consistency and how manly women have to be before others beside myself and a few others go "wait a minute. What's going on here?" Right now most are in the "What a women can't have muscles phase. Insert photo of random bodybuilder. Lol

Game looks great and fun. I may play this while I wait for cyberpunk to have a next gen upgrade. Was this current gen pc or next gen?

Vroadstar

I agree with the others, I think they need to keep in the freezer AC for some time, while I'm enjoyed playing Origins and Oddysey, I don't want to go thru another one that looks like a reskin.

Hayriko

Just call this game series The Creed or something. Nothing about assassins here.
And also ubi finally swapped the pre alpha text into work in progress hahaha

Neolombax

Interesting time period, but this looks too similar to Odyssey. I'm currently trying to finish Odyssey when I feel like playing an open world game, but man that game is exhausting to finish.

Top Bottom