• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Gameplay Overview Trailer | Official 30 Minute Gameplay Walkthrough

BlackM1st

Banned
look man i do agree you have to step in to stop the trolls but you were the first comment on this thread and your intentions were to derail it completely . This game has two protagonists which you can play as female or a male.
iirc I posted a good 30 minutes later after thread was created. And no matter the order of my posts, I always write how I feel. If I do feel that here, in that particular game we don't don't a female skin, what should I write? Wasted resources are wasted resources, reskin is a reskin, no matter how you cut it.

SSfox

There is some gameplay of dude eivor here in the video below, which i think is more badass

Another (weird) thing, it seems you can switch between dude eivor and girl eivor during your playthrough, yes weird but it is what it is, it can change and it's not guarantee it will be the same in retail version but so far it is lol

EDIT: I'll add:

* that this guy that played the game confirms (as most suspected via videos) that the visual gap is very weak compare to Origins and Odyssey.

* Visually less impressive than RDR2, Death Stranding, and Ghost Of Tsushima (game that this lucky nerd been playing since few days)

Last edited:
Did you guys see that rap battle? So cringe but at least in a good way

Characters are colorless expect out Black Vikings. If you know you know.

I really don’t like the idea that I should ally myself with Saxons. I want to be a real savage viking. Not a Saxon apologist

Puzzles are a good addition if they’re not repetitive after 3 times which is unlikely in a Ubi game.

Boss fights? Complete joke. Both these Bosses appeared in a same way. Dialogues are so bad it’s not even worth talking about.

Female Eivor’s voice is bad. Very bad.

I don’t like the trend of making females body like men. And only average looking and buff women are strong nowadays it seems.

Looke at Evie or Arno’s step sis. Now look at Eivor. Rawwwwwr she’s so strong. Female Vikings weren’t shit looking go read a book or two. It’s said that both men and womenwho invaded Emglamd were so better looking that it was not fair.

Last edited:

SSfox

I loved dual characters in Syndicate. And I really appreciated the engine work in Unity. Unity on PC is still amazing.

I'll also add that i loved Kassandra in Odyssey, actually i think they should've gone exclusively with her in that game as playable character.

Last edited:

Gravemind

Idk, I think it looks okay. Female Eivor is pretty cringe though.

Legions of people garaunteed me Oddessy would be "hot garbage" pre release, and it actually turned out to be a pretty good game.

I'll pick it up for next gen machines. Hopefully its another decent installment.

Chromata

I'll get it when it's cheap if it ends up being good when it's out, nothing I've seen makes me compelled to buy it near release.

The game looks very underwhelming.

Last edited:
Man, please. Same engine as 2 previous games. I love AC series, but let's not get carried away. Valhalla is not this gen's Black Flag unfortunately. V is just a quick cashgrab copypasta.
Having similar things to the previous games doesn't mean it's gonna be a bad or boring game! especially if you enjoyed the previous ones.
and you've only seen a few minutes so far! wait at least for the reviews!

It’s always okay to tell your opinions. Based on leaks, trailers and today’s gameplay even more so.

I agree. but the game doesn't look bad at all! saying that is bullshit honestly! especially when it's not out yet.

BlackM1st

Banned
This literally looks like something from 12 years ago. I don't like the spongy enemies either. Hitting that wolf with a sword like 10 times, blooding flying everywhere, then shooting it with several arrows and it's still running like it's not even injured. Hate games with zero attention to detail.
In their defense I can say that giant wolves are probably some mythical creatures )

REE Machine

Banned
I'm not seeing any assassinations for a fucking Assassin Creed game.
They honestly should split the franchise.
Have one called Assassins Creed for more stealth and story based gameplay around assassinations.
The rpg version which is focused on story and action with rpg elements, just call it Creed.

Romulus

The rpg version which is focused on story and action with rpg elements, just call it Creed.

6298334_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

BlackM1st

Banned
The ones with blood spraying out of them.
iirc the strongest enemies in the whole TES Oblivion were either rats or crabs(?) because they were leveling up with u and by level 99+ they became unstoppable killing machines. Same thing is happening here. It's a very outdated concept, I agree.

sobaka770

Banned
I loved dual characters in Syndicate. And I really appreciated the engine work in Unity. Unity on PC is still amazing.

I loved Syndicate as well. The story was pretty ho-hum, but the main protags and the humor was very well done.

People gush about how good Unity looks but even on PC the pop-in distance is literally 2-3 meters and on rooftops buildings just a hundred meters away can pop wit low-res polys and textures. It's really not that impressive and distracting. Ubi really compromised by having huge crouds, GI and close-range detail on that one. I much prefer the draw distance in newer versions starting with Origins where you can see across the desert or island and have much less pop-in. If they can do that with a proper city on next gen it would be fantastic-looking.

I'm looking forwards to Valhalla, looks like minor improvements in the right direction compared to Odyssey. No crazy level-gating, skills to be found, better riddles. If they cut on the bloat of poor sidequests for which they don't have the writing chops for it's going to be a fun romp. The only issue is that it's not ASSASSIN'S CREED game at all at this point. Stealth is not really peak viking fantasy and this is just so removed from the assassinations that I have to like it as a fun action viking romp instead. I want my assassin's creed back though at some point.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Don't expect 4K 60 fps from a 9900k + 2080 ti, according to SkillUp.

Sigh. I really hoped they'd at least improve performance this time. How can they REGRESS optimisation-wise? Damn it Ubisoft!

Atrus

Gold Member
In the first video, its hard not to notice the wasy the animation lags when the ship docks and the sails come down or how the main characters face clips into their armour in that one scene.

Clearly a current gen game and with Ubisoft, there's always uncertainty as to whether they're overselling things like building your own village or castle assaults.

I highly suspect that these happen in a fixed manner on each playthrough and aren't as customizable or player dependant.

HE1NZ

Banned
I don't understand why these idiots upload in 1080p on Youtube. Looks like a blurry mess. Here's Russian dude who uploaded in 4K. Looks pretty decent.

Last edited:

TwistedSyn

CDPR called. They want their game assets back. Like holy hell I have been busy all week and once I saw that gameplay footage I was like "Is this Witcher 3?" Just the art direction alone SCREAMS Witcher. No wonder Ubisoft didn't show gameplay of this at the MS 20/20 stream, it looks like ass.

Last edited:

SSfox

This guy been overall very positive about the game, until 27 minutes when he talks IA, which seems just outdated and trash.

Yeah sure crossgen don't hold back game designs, kappa.

Some notes (quite postives mostly imo)

- Horse can swim now
- character Eivor feels heavy, unlike Bayek and especially Kassandra and Alexios, which makes gameplay cooler.
- Climbing is no more non nonsensical as in AC odyssey where you can climb anything, now it's more like first AC games where climb only things that looks climbable.
- Your crew can sing in sea like in Black Flag (songs doesn't seems unlockable like in BF tho?)
- You can wear armor for stats, while wearing visual armors for your tastes, like in Monster Hunter World.
- You can wear hoodie and cape when you want to play it stealth, but you can't run if you wear those (weird huh)
- While humans IA seems bad, but there are some cool legendary animal hunting, and that can be surprising sometimes.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
There is some gameplay of dude eivor here in the video below, which i think is more badass

Another (weird) thing, it seems you can switch between dude eivor and girl eivor during your playthrough, yes weird but it is what it is, it can change and it's not guarantee it will be the same in retail version but so far it is lol

EDIT: I'll add:

* that this guy that played the game confirms (as most suspected via videos) that the visual gap is very weak compare to Origins and Odyssey.

* Visually less impressive than RDR2, Death Stranding, and Ghost Of Tsushima (game that this lucky nerd been playing since few days)

want to buy videos with out the cast of Allo Allo in it :messenger_beaming:

Gravemind

Unity.... oh man imagine a bigger denser Unity with more interesting characters. Imagine that parkour getting more work and getting deeper. Raytracing added to the already phenomenal lighting work of unity.
https://media.tenor.com/images/1b60c5a3e662e8dc073fdac7f7afb457/tenor.gif

Also Ubi wished it could tell a mature story like that.

It's a shame. Unity was absolutely gorgeous. Parkour was the best it's ever been and its animations were fantastic.

Too bad people bombed that game largely because of its bugs and performance issues, turning it into a viral meme. We haven't had dense social crowds and cutting edge visuals since. Social stealth has all but been removed from the series, which was a pillar of the franchise since the first installment.

Rikkori

It's honestly insane that 1000+ people worked on this across god knows how many studios and this is the quality they reached. It's just so sad.

The game gives me the same vibe that Breakpoint did compared to Wildlands. Even though they improved some stuff there's just something off and very janky about it. I absolutely loved O&Od so it's not like one of these modern AC haters, but this just looked weak overall. And I don't understand how they could mess up the voice acting & character modelling so badly!

It's been a very disappointing night as far as AC is concerned.

sircaw

Banned
Lol sorry i don't understand what mean :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Ah sorry Allo Allo is a British sitcom. set in France.
Very funny, pretty old now and probably not very politically correct.
I keep forgetting this forum is international and not just English, my bad, sorry. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

SSfox

It's a shame. Unity was absolutely gorgeous. Parkour was the best it's ever been and its animations were fantastic.

Too bad people bombed that game largely because of its bugs and performance issues, turning it into a viral meme. We haven't had dense social crowds and cutting edge visuals since. Social stealth has all but been removed from the series, which was a pillar of the franchise since the first installment.

Yeah Unity was quite good, but with a lot of problems and bugs, and with the worst input lag response ever. Game obviousely needed one more year work, Ubi should have just released Rogue as Cross Gen in this year and keep polishing Unity to release it the year after, but y'know Ubi is Ubi, it was what it was.

Last edited:

SSfox

Ah sorry Allo Allo is a British sitcom. set in France.
Very funny, pretty old now and probably not very politically correct.
I keep forgetting this forum is international and not just English, my bad, sorry. :messenger_heart:

Oh i see, thanks for explaining, now i get what you mean earlier :messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom