• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla after 160+ hours. A Wonderful Journey!

Did you love Assassin's Creed Valhalla?

• Total voters

onesvenus

Graphics: 9/10, they simply nailed HDR here, along with lighting being so great in most cases with some bad examples here and there, but overall it can get really photo-realistic in many occasions. Pop-ins are there though, it's not as smooth as Spiderman MM of course, no game on that level yet in LOD management. That's until we get rid of this shit LOD system 2-3 years from now in many games.
I still remember you laughing at me when I said that my friends and me were really impressed with this game as it was our first experience of 4k. I'm glad you are agreeing with me now 😜

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Same difficulty. Yes, early on that boss was pretty tough and killed me around 5-6 times before killing him. Problem is when you get more abilities and perks and get higher upgrades when things shift from challenging to cruising. Challenge totally faded away after like the 70-hours mark, and still enjoyed every moment in the game. If they brought the level-matching like on Odyssey it would've been much better, as It's been a 51-level gap between me and the rest after that mark.

Overall, you'll have most of the challenge early on with those bosses and The Order zealots, then it get more of enjoying the story when you become invincible. This is why I hate RPG's, although I still enjoy them. Ghost of Tsushima, even though it wasn't very hard most of the time, it gave me so much fun with the bosses and even with those challenging straw-hat fighters. It was sad that the new higher difficulty came after I've beaten the game.

As many say, Ghost of Tsushima is more Assassin's Creed than Assassin's Creed.

Aha yeah this makes sense. I fought him at power level 7. Probably should've leveled up some more and come back but I'm a stubborn bastard sometimes.

cragarmi

Hi Bo, welcome back.. for now 😂

I agree that the story early on seems quite disjointed, and takes a while to find its feet. It feels a bit off balance in terms of levelling. Hopefully they will patch in an option for the NPCs to level up with you. I still feel it would have been a better game if they condensed some of the story on the golden path, and having more optional story paths, it's just a huge time sync that can seem overwhelming, even more so than Odyssey.

I'm playing through GoT now and it just seems to trim most of the fat, although that also becomes somewhat repetative, the combat just feels so much better, and the activities you are tasked with do not overstay their welcome. However there is something about the modern assassin's creed games sense of discovery which I don't get from GoT's world, and getting to explore a historical England is in itself a joy, cruising down the rivers to explore and raid settlements. Some interesting modern day content as well, which I would like to see them make more of as it's part of its unique character for me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I suppose if I want the plat they constitute 100% completion of each area?

Have done 3 stone puzzles so far :(

Yeah some are pretty hard and love them! I've 99% done the game but only 73% in terms of trophies. Never chased a platinum before though.

How is Valhalla compared to Ghost Of Tsushima?

Ghost of Tsushima is flawless, AC Valhalla has much more content and bigger variety of side missions. Exploration on ACV is better to me, everything else I think GOT is better. Graphically I think they both go on different paths, not necessarily comparable.

I also felt exactly the same about Origins and Odyssey (or any Ubi open world game in past few years) and first one hour of Valhalla felt the same too. But then, something clicked. Its different. Maybe it's the setting, the graphics, the story....not sure. But I am loving it now. I haven't played last 4-5 assassin's creeds combined as much I have played this, and I have barely scratched the surface.
I suppose it's possible that I get bored later on, but its great so far.
Try at least to reach England and spend a few hours there. If it still doesn't click then maybe its not for you. Do try to play with HDR on a good TV. They have done a fnbtastic job with HDR here.

AC Valhalla has one of the best HDR implementations so far, and in some occasions it gets so photorealistic to the point makes you question raytracing being used for only reflections and GI should be more than enough to boost it as it already has dynamic shadows (not raytraced).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I still remember you laughing at me when I said that my friends and me were really impressed with this game as it was our first experience of 4k. I'm glad you are agreeing with me now 😜

Yeah, playing it natively is way different than watching glitches in compressed 4K on youtube. Pop-ins are still kinda severe but overall it's wonderful with great HDR.

Aha yeah this makes sense. I fought him at power level 7. Probably should've leveled up some more and come back but I'm a stubborn bastard sometimes.

Yeah same happened to me he punished me real hard and took me a while to beat his ass. And would've loved that difficulty to remain as abilities make things too easy alone, so getting abilities should still make you feel the progress without breaking the challenging bit of it. It's not too easy overall but gets easy enough to kill the excitement of those combats. I enjoyed fighting randos on GOT mostly to get loot and resources and I get killed sometimes, so there is a sense of danger there.

Hi Bo, welcome back.. for now 😂

I agree that the story early on seems quite disjointed, and takes a while to find its feet. It feels a bit off balance in terms of levelling. Hopefully they will patch in an option for the NPCs to level up with you. I still feel it would have been a better game if they condensed some of the story on the golden path, and having more optional story paths, it's just a huge time sync that can seem overwhelming, even more so than Odyssey.

I'm playing through GoT now and it just seems to trim most of the fat, although that also becomes somewhat repetative, the combat just feels so much better, and the activities you are tasked with do not overstay their welcome. However there is something about the modern assassin's creed games sense of discovery which I don't get from GoT's world, and getting to explore a historical England is in itself a joy, cruising down the rivers to explore and raid settlements. Some interesting modern day content as well, which I would like to see them make more of as it's part of its unique character for me.

Yeah GOT combat is one of the biggest positives, I'm just baffled that it took them a while to implement a harder difficulty even though in some situations it was pretty hard already with those duels. Overall AC Valhalla is really a wonderful game and if it had a better storytelling/acting like PS Studios it'll make the story much more impactful. I think the core story in AC Valhalla is much better than GOT but the final product suffered from bad models, bad facial animations, mediocre acting.

So they're just going to leave that drunken glitch in? It's been awhile now. Haven't heard any "we are aware of the issue and are looking into it." Eivor keeps starting out like

Yeah that drunken state is tied to the Yule Festival BS. I really hope they fix that.

GymWolf

I stopped after 15-20 hours because a couple of skills completely breaks the game challenge at max difficulty and story/gameplay were not good enough to make me forget this fact.

It's better than odissey but worse than origins imo.

Maybe i'm gonna give the game a second chance in the future.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I stopped after 15-20 hours because a couple of skills completely breaks the game challenge at max difficulty and story/gameplay were not good enough to make me forget this fact.

It's better than odissey but worse than origins imo.

Maybe i'm gonna give the game a second chance in the future.

Some perks really need to be taken down like that goofy wall-peircing arrow and probably shutting down enemy revealing sensing that make things too easy. But I think you'll like it if you push more as it gets much better later on. I nearly dropped the game myself especially with those extremely cringy side quests early on.

GymWolf

Some perks really need to be taken down like that goofy wall-peircing arrow and probably shutting down enemy revealing sensing that make things too easy. But I think you'll like it if you push more as it gets much better later on. I nearly dropped the game myself especially with those extremely cringy side quests early on.
I was talking about 3 skill in particular

Bullet time after dogde
Bloodborne mechanic where you get health back by hitting enemies
Double handling double handed weapons

This stuff make you unkillable if you are even a little skilled in third person action games.

The silly mini-event are not bad thing to me, still better than all the forgettable copy paste sidemissions in odissey and origins.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
160 hours seems nuts. The setting is interesting and all, but I think I'm tapped out after spending ~70 hours in Origins. The sad part is, I remember almost nothing about the game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was talking about 3 skill in particular

Bullet time after dogde
Bloodborne mechanic where you get health back by hitting enemies
Double handling double handed sword

This stuff make you unkillable if you are even a little skilled in third person action games.

The silly mini-event are not bad thing to me, still better than all the forgettable copy paste sidemissions in odissey and origins.

Yeah they've been going the arcadey root there. I can see the spear with the light shield, but that large axe or large sword being single-handed is a joke, even Kratos will have a hard time to do it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
160 hours seems nuts. The setting is interesting and all, but I think I'm tapped out after spending ~70 hours in Origins. The sad part is, I remember almost nothing about the game.

Origins took like ~100-ish for a completionist, Odyssey around 140 hours, and 162 hours for Valhalla. If you like to wander around, explore things, stare at some interesting details or read some stuff then it'll take you that much ;) I usually enjoy my time with those games, like spending 114 hours on Death Stranding and still didn't 100% the game as I accidently beat the main story, that's when the game is "dead" to me. I usually finish all the side quest step by step before beating the main story.

GymWolf

Yeah they've been going the arcadey root there. I can see the spear with the light shield, but that large axe or large sword being single-handed is a joke, even Kratos will have a hard time to do it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
I'm okay with a bit of arcadey feeling, they just have to balance the general challenge a lot better.
It's not like previous ac games were really realistic...

Kamina

Golden Boy
I really liked it. I just didnt like that the heavily promoted male version is not canon / hasn’t been reflected correctly so that it can be considered canon. Also the many bugs / glitches were annoying.
But overall the story is awesome, the gameplay feels good and the world is beautiful.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Haven’t finished it yet but so far I think Odyssey is a lot better since you can help either side and is never forced to be the bad guy, plus the nice water and sunny weather is just sublime 👌 I also think the stealth gameplay has been ruined in Valhalla since you need to call in vikings to open doors and chests and they’ll just come in clobbering and burn stuff down so in the end all raids ends the same way. No idea if things gets turned around later on but as it is I don’t sympathise with any of the vikings and think the whole reason they went to England is pubertal.

Iceternal

To me, this is really the worst of the ancient trilogy. I’m so disappointed.

IMO Odyssey > Origins > Valhalla.

Every single aspect of this game is undercooked. They should have given it 6 months or a year more. But of course we’re talking about Ubisoft here. They don’t really care.

It’s ironic, because Origins takes place in a desert, yet it’s much much more lively in any inhabited place than Valhalla. I don’t even know if it’s glitchy AI, but so many NPCs in Valhalla in cities just stand there doing nothing. Origins was incredible, everyone was busy living their lives, they even had schedules. Odyssey was this huge sprawling adventure that I never got tired of but here ? Between the ugly character models and animations, the jank, the glitches, the awful audio, the pisspoor mission design (an actual catastrophe).... I won‘t finish it. I got really far into the game yet never felt really satisfied except for one specific arc :

the Ivar arc, where you fight him. I don’t know why, but it felt better than anything else in the game. The boss was great, with interesting patterns and surprises, the story was engaging ... but it didn’t last ....

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I've finished playing Vahalla with around 120 hours on the clock and I wasn't really interested in continuing to 100% the world map. The game crashing a lot on the base PS4 also didn't help with that deciion. It's more enjoyable for me than Origins and Odyssey - the setting is better (for my taste) and it feels less like exploring a lot of copy-pasted content. It's still very bloated and I didn't like fantasy bits with Asgard, at least it's optional stuff.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So just to be clear - the weapons are now all unique? Like I'm never going to find 30 of the same sword with different stats off trash mobs like in Odyssey? So potentially an axe I pickup at power level 7 could get me through most of the game?

Also- everyone is praising the HDR in this game but it's totally busted for me. No matter the settings I use it's either far too dark or completely washed out. Not sure if this is yet another failure of Windows' HDR implementation or if it's me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So just to be clear - the weapons are now all unique? Like I'm never going to find 30 of the same sword with different stats off trash mobs like in Odyssey? So potentially an axe I pickup at power level 7 could get me through most of the game?

Also- everyone is praising the HDR in this game but it's totally busted for me. No matter the settings I use it's either far too dark or completely washed out. Not sure if this is yet another failure of Windows' HDR implementation or if it's me.

You need to watch this if you have PS5 or even PS4 (same settings):

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Windows, sadly. HDR is definitely better implemented on consoles and has been for years.

Yeah I don't know how to adjust HDR on my PC as well, don't know if there is any option for it. So I just keep it off. But I don't play on my PC anyway even though I have a decent PC with Radeon VII.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Yeah I don't know how to adjust HDR on my PC as well, don't know if there is any option for it. So I just keep it off. But I don't play on my PC anyway even though I have a decent PC with Radeon VII.

If you need to just right click on the desktop, select "Display Settings" and then click Advanced Display settings and choose your display that has HDR. It's a toggle button. There's more granular stuff you can setup too but that's the nutshell version.

On topic I'm still plugging away at Valhalla. I've completed Grantebridge, Ledecester, East Anglia (probably my highlight arc so far, this was well done), and Oxeneford. Just about to go to Lunden. At power level 167 and about 52 hours in the game.

Starting to feel the burnout though. Odyssey I ended up completing in three 50-hour binges over the course of eight months. Might do the same for Valhalla.

How many armor sets are there roughly? I'm hesitant to upgrade armor too much because of the limited materials. I've got the started Raven Clan Set upgraded to the point of needing Tungsten and an axe and shield but don't want to go too much further than that in case I find say, a Bear set I like and respec. Is this a reasonable way of doing things?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you need to just right click on the desktop, select "Display Settings" and then click Advanced Display settings and choose your display that has HDR. It's a toggle button. There's more granular stuff you can setup too but that's the nutshell version.

On topic I'm still plugging away at Valhalla. I've completed Grantebridge, Ledecester, East Anglia (probably my highlight arc so far, this was well done), and Oxeneford. Just about to go to Lunden. At power level 167 and about 52 hours in the game.

Starting to feel the burnout though. Odyssey I ended up completing in three 50-hour binges over the course of eight months. Might do the same for Valhalla.

How many armor sets are there roughly? I'm hesitant to upgrade armor too much because of the limited materials. I've got the started Raven Clan Set upgraded to the point of needing Tungsten and an axe and shield but don't want to go too much further than that in case I find say, a Bear set I like and respec. Is this a reasonable way of doing things?

Raven Clan armor is a solid one, also there is a good one named Bri-something. Not sure of how many armors there but 100% materials are fucking short to upgrade many of them. It's the main problem in the game, materials are so fucking rare.

cragarmi

Q
Yes I've only just gotten to England and for my headset it sometimes echos, needs turning the volume up or down and is quite frustrating at times.
To be fair the audio is pretty buggy in this game, with or without 3d audio turned on. Audio cut outs, audio continuing to play when it shouldn't. NPC audio playing over cut scene dialogue. So many patches in, that don't seem to address audio at all. Just further proof of the industries obsession with graphics over everything, when excellent game audio can be just as transformative.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Raven Clan armor is a solid one, also there is a good one named Bri-something. Not sure of how many armors there but 100% materials are fucking short to upgrade many of them. It's the main problem in the game, materials are so fucking rare.
Well said, Vikingr.
I hope they implement transmogrification soon so i can return my maxed one to the original blue version.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes I've only just gotten to England and for my headset it sometimes echos, needs turning the volume up or down and is quite frustrating at times.

Q

To be fair the audio is pretty buggy in this game, with or without 3d audio turned on. Audio cut outs, audio continuing to play when it shouldn't. NPC audio playing over cut scene dialogue. So many patches in, that don't seem to address audio at all. Just further proof of the industries obsession with graphics over everything, when excellent game audio can be just as transformative.

Seems like I'm a bit lucky. I've encountered some buggy audio but it's extremely rare and nothing serious. Overall, I think audio is very good in the game. Also updated the OP as all the bugged side mission and treasure map are now fixed, but with the map still stalling in your inventory.

Well said, Vikingr.
I hope they implement transmogrification soon so i can return my maxed one to the original blue version.

That will be good! You mean like Watch Dogs: Legion, right?

Roufianos

Quit after 16 hours. The game just plays like ass, not sure if my standards have risen or if this game combat which is even more floaty / weightless than Odyssey.

No story progress of note either and interesting abilities are a slog to unlock with the skill tree.

The thought of another 50 hours was daunting really, giving up is almost an orgasmic relief.

Immortals offers basically everything this game does only with much better combat, a more interesting world, and less (but still too much) clutter.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Quit after 16 hours. The game just plays like ass, not sure if my standards have risen or if this game combat which is even more floaty / weightless than Odyssey.

No story progress of note either and interesting abilities are a slog to unlock with the skill tree.

The thought of another 50 hours was daunting really, giving up is almost an orgasmic relief.

Immortals offers basically everything this game does only with much better combat, a more interesting world, and less (but still too much) clutter.

I can't disagree with you. After 16 hours I can see many quit the game. Want my advice? Try pushing yourself even beyond 40 hours then you'll start appreciating it much more. Early on you face many corny side missions and you feel the story is rushed, but it matures well in a later date.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Audio is fine for me but this game is crashing a lot. I usually play for three-five hours later in the evening and I usually get two crashes in that timeframe.

Is this a known issue?

Sushen

The combat difficulty level didn't bother me as my focus has been exploration and getting one more thing done before stop playing the game for the day which always ended up being a lot more than one thing, haha.

I don't do side quests in general but I find myself searching for little things to do while working on main quest with this game.

I'm sure I could have beaten the main quest earlier than 83 hours if I just did the main quest as I tend to do. It was fun 83 hours with about 7-10 hour worth of fetch quest missions in the main quest. Thats the only complaint as I hate fetch quests and the game is long enough without them.

Last edited:

EDMIX

[UPDATE] The bugged side boss and treasure I faced are fixed with the latest update, there is no bugged mission/collectable remaining.

Hello guys!

I've been pouring so much time on AC Valhalla that took me around a month to finish. I know that Ubisoft is some kind of a villain to some, like EA and others, but they've did a wonderful job with Watch Dogs Legions, AC Valhalla, and now playing Immortals Fenyx Rising. I've opened every single chest in the game (I believe) except one in Norway (normal loot, not the main ones) and one that is locked because a side boss is glitched and can't fight him/her due to latest updated so can't collect his/her tool to open a secret entrance to special loot. Also there is another broken side mission in the new Yule update that I can't finish. 2 side quests broken.

I'll try to be as direct as possible, and no spoilers at all. This is a PS5, performance mode review:

Positives:

Combat
: 8/10, combat is nice, not the best, but with great variety of weapons. Lacks a regular sword though which is strange.

Traversal: 10/10, great amount of fast travel points and fluid parkour gives the optimal satisfaction.

Loot: One of the biggest changes that I loved about this game is the uniqueness of the loot. I've spent most of my playthrough with specific weapons that fit my playstyle (first bearded axe then war hammer+light shield).

Exploration: 10/10, it's so addictive, and most of the maps are so well made and feel organic. Odyssey and Origins had problems with copy-paste caves, it's not the case anymore. At the edge of the map there are some signs of copy-paste rocks but it's an extremely tiny spot and probably due to deadline rush.

Side activities/missions: 9/10. The side missions are mostly short, and many of them are extremely cringy, but they don't drive you out of the region or so which is a great thing. Some of them are very good and give you nice rewards. But other quest that are tied to exploration most if not all of them are very enjoyable and have unique rewards, even your regular fortress as all loot are now unique. Legendary beasts, bosses, tricky caves exploration missions, standing stones challenges (one of the best!), glitches (side mission, puzzle that is engaging the Animus "Layla"), and many other great missions. Hunting down Order members is satisfying as well, and looking for intel.

Puzzles: 10/10, one of the best things about this game. Not talking about glitch missions alone or caves, even the very ordinary things of finding your way into a house to take the loot is rewarding! This makes exploration so satisfying.

Graphics: 9/10, they simply nailed HDR here, along with lighting being so great in most cases with some bad examples here and there, but overall it can get really photo-realistic in many occasions. Pop-ins are there though, it's not as smooth as Spiderman MM of course, no game on that level yet in LOD management. That's until we get rid of this shit LOD system 2-3 years from now in many games.

Story: 10/10, so wonderful and I successfully had the perfect ending due to carefully choosing my decisions. It's not very dramatic, but it's more of a series. Every region has some unique feel of it with a unique plot and twist. They really made a great job here.

Multi-maps: Won't say more, but the game feels like a base game+DLC's. Devs been pretty generous, and they deserve credit here.

Music: 9/10, the OST of this game is just gorgeous. Odyssey has better/perfect OST but this one is so close to it!

Negatives:

Screen tearing: Although it happens in very few occasions, or tied to some cities, it's an immersion killer and would take frame drops instead. Although performance seems solid at 60fps.

Difficulty: It starts as decent, but enemies are so slow, so dumb for the hardest difficulty setup. Enemies should be attacking instead of being so observant and so much hard attack sounds/visuals that makes things even easier. At level 190 I've killed a legendary beast at 400! I don't like RPG BS overall and think they did a good job with that, but the hardest difficulty is "normal" at best, or easy. Would have loved it if enemies keep upgrading with me like on Odyssey (it was optional). 51-levels gap isn't good enough. So I never use stealth like 1%, although I love stealth a lot, I just go to a fortress running and crushing them like superman. I love to be forced to use stealth.

Broken levels: Had one mission broken in this latest Yule Festival update that I can't finish, and another side mythical boss that now after the update I can't fight to collect his sword out of 3 to open a secret vault for special loot. Once they drop the next update I'll check again.

Arrow capacity bug: After the latest update, all arrow capacity upgrades are not applied so you only have basic capacity for all bows.

Verdict:

My opinion on the game overall: 9/10 (deserves 10/10 if not for the technical issues, easy difficulty). This game is indeed one of my best games ever, and it's my 3rd best game of 2020 after Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2. It's now sold for ~$41 on PS Store, if I would give it a price I think the base game alone deserves $100! Getting the season pass later indeed! WD:L is so much fun as well, it's so much fun that after buying the game for only ~$41 bought the season pass, and give it 9/10 although it's much more solid technically vs AC Valhalla. Now playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising and bought the gold edition for $66.9 during current discount on PSN (until 9th of January).

Anyway, the game is fucking massive and I might have forgot things, might update it later. I really think the game deserves more credit. Note that the game starts slow and was like 7/10 to me but it gets better and better the more you continue and the story starts maturing. I've collected every possible stuff in the game, except the glitched one and one minor chest in Norway that I will collect later!

You sold me on Valhalla.

Lots of AC fans are telling me how good it is and I like what they did with Origins, so I can't want to pick this up when I have more time.

Oberstein

Haven’t finished it yet but so far I think Odyssey is a lot better since you can help either side and is never forced to be the bad guy, plus the nice water and sunny weather is just sublime 👌 I also think the stealth gameplay has been ruined in Valhalla since you need to call in vikings to open doors and chests and they’ll just come in clobbering and burn stuff down so in the end all raids ends the same way. No idea if things gets turned around later on but as it is I don’t sympathise with any of the vikings and think the whole reason they went to England is pubertal.

I feel the same way. I can't understand the enthusiasm of some people about this episode. Odyssey is far superior to it in almost every way.
In fact, Valhalla is the story of a Viking with zero personality. We go from side quests to side quests, the English countryside is beautiful but they managed to make it totally empty. No connection with an NPC, and Sigurd is probably the worst written character for years in the series.
I had however criticized Odyssey on many points at the time, but compared to Valhalla, it showed how much I liked the episode in the end.

Joho79

I got the game yesterday had day off today so got a lot of hours in. I like it a lot this far and I think it is beautiful. I loved origins but got bored quick with oddysey so I hope this will keep me hooked.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Audio is fine for me but this game is crashing a lot. I usually play for three-five hours later in the evening and I usually get two crashes in that timeframe.

Is this a known issue?

I think I've either encountered one crash in those ~164 hours or none, playing on PS5. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I’m only 6 hours in but it might be the most boring game I’ve played in years.

Yeah it feels boring first, you should give it some couple of hours until you feel it. I'm sure if you survive through this early boredom you'll appreciate it later.

base

Banned
How is it even possible that Ubi can't create an interesting protagonist since Edward or Ezio? It's just like they use some kind of character generator for their games.

Rac3r

I’ve hated most of Ubisoft’s recent releases and shit on them all the time; but I got Valhalla as a Christmas gift and I’ve actually been enjoying it.

My only issue right now is the thick fog that always shows up in the world. It makes everything look washed out and ugly. Is this by design or are my settings messed up?When there’s no fog the game looks amazing.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I’ve hated most of Ubisoft’s recent releases and shit on them all the time; but I got Valhalla as a Christmas gift and I’ve actually been enjoying it.

My only issue right now is the thick fog that always shows up in the world. It makes everything look washed out and ugly. Is this by design or are my settings messed up?When there’s no fog the game looks amazing.

An early area, Grantebridge, has a foggy, fens area. Ditto for another early area, East Anglia. After I cleared those areas, fog was rare except for special usages which I won't spoil.

Now go play the best ubisoft game in a while called immortals fenyx rising 😅

I just tried out the demo on PS5, silky smooth 60fps, colorful vistas giving me breath of the wild vibes. The camera is peeled way back than it should be also the running/jogging animation feels weird.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Currently playing through this after getting it in November, most fun I had with assassins creed for a long time. The battles fee epic and the game world is huge.

characters are well done but the dialogue can go on a bit long,

I enjoy the raids a lot to help level up your village, there is so much to do in this game. I don’t think am that far off finishing the story and still have a shot ton to do in the game

Enjoying this game, but can only play in chunks. My first impression is that it’s underrated graphically. Tsushima looks better overall, but the sense of scale is better in Valhalla. This game is like vanilla ice cream; lemon custard is vastly superior to it on most levels, but vanilla still tastes good. I’ll keep chipping away between Mafia 2 sessions.

Shubh_C63

I have been turned off on AC for such a long time but sooo many people are dropping these glowing 9/10 (really guys?) Reviews, I have to check it out.

My problem with AC :
Hit registration
NPCs reaction
Terrible terrible cringey dialogues

If they could just solve the last one I would make my own adventure and enjoy it. Wow I am actually excited about trying this masterpiece of a game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How is it even possible that Ubi can't create an interesting protagonist since Edward or Ezio? It's just like they use some kind of character generator for their games.

Because they won't get in the 80's if they make male-only protagonist. This dual-gender approach is hurting the story so much, sometimes they call me a "she" in rare occasions while I'm only using the male Eivor.

Well, I think fog is a signature of England overall. But man, when it's sunny and you are around those flowery hills it's just gorgeous.

Currently playing through this after getting it in November, most fun I had with assassins creed for a long time. The battles fee epic and the game world is huge.

characters are well done but the dialogue can go on a bit long,

I enjoy the raids a lot to help level up your village, there is so much to do in this game. I don’t think am that far off finishing the story and still have a shot ton to do in the game

I think if they game this game more time like 1-2 years to polish their story-telling it'll be at the high 80's in Metacritic.

Enjoying this game, but can only play in chunks. My first impression is that it’s underrated graphically. Tsushima looks better overall, but the sense of scale is better in Valhalla. This game is like vanilla ice cream; lemon custard is vastly superior to it on most levels, but vanilla still tastes good. I’ll keep chipping away between Mafia 2 sessions.

Yeah overall I think the graphics in AC Valhalla are better, but LOD management is shit vs GOT. Also the wind in GOT makes the world so lively.

Overall you'll enjoy GOT graphically because of its magical artistic approach vs more realism in ACV. I appreciate GOT much more graphically but graphics quality I think ACV is better.

I have been turned off on AC for such a long time but sooo many people are dropping these glowing 9/10 (really guys?) Reviews, I have to check it out.

My problem with AC :
Hit registration
NPCs reaction
Terrible terrible cringey dialogues

If they could just solve the last one I would make my own adventure and enjoy it. Wow I am actually excited about trying this masterpiece of a game.

Yeah I've found some of the most cringy dialogues in gaming history in this game side quests, it's so kindergarten-level jokes that make me wanna cry. But later on side quests dialogues improve a bit. Story itself I think it's decent enough, but you don't really appreciate the story that much until like 50-60% onwards.

You really need to force yourself through and I can see many gamers dropping it and deleting the game early on if they lose patience. But when you reach addiction level that when you just can't let the controller go!

TheContact

Great analysis bo. The last single player game I dumped over a hundred hours into was fallout 3 for the Xbox 360. Looks like you got your $s worth

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Great analysis bo. The last single player game I dumped over a hundred hours into was fallout 3 for the Xbox 360. Looks like you got your $s worth

Thanks, mate. Just put in mind that I'm an AC fan, I've thrown 100+ hours in Origins, ~250 hours Odyssey+DLC's (I think it's still better than ACV).

I can see the game not appealing to many as well, especially early on. I nearly stopped playing it with how painfully cringy those side missions were in the first 20 hours or so, but they get less cringy later.

Main story was good actually when you're reaching near the end, and you feel very attached to most of the characters. So keyword here is patience.

On the other hand I can see more people agreeing on Immortals Fenyx Rising to be a wonderful game.

Top Bottom