• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla after 160+ hours. A Wonderful Journey!

Did you love Assassin's Creed Valhalla?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
[UPDATE] The bugged side boss and treasure I faced are fixed with the latest update, there is no bugged mission/collectable remaining.

Hello guys!

I've been pouring so much time on AC Valhalla that took me around a month to finish. I know that Ubisoft is some kind of a villain to some, like EA and others, but they've did a wonderful job with Watch Dogs Legions, AC Valhalla, and now playing Immortals Fenyx Rising. I've opened every single chest in the game (I believe) except one in Norway (normal loot, not the main ones) and one that is locked because a side boss is glitched and can't fight him/her due to latest updated so can't collect his/her tool to open a secret entrance to special loot. Also there is another broken side mission in the new Yule update that I can't finish. 2 side quests broken.

I'll try to be as direct as possible, and no spoilers at all. This is a PS5, performance mode review:

Positives:

Combat
: 8/10, combat is nice, not the best, but with great variety of weapons. Lacks a regular sword though which is strange.

Traversal: 10/10, great amount of fast travel points and fluid parkour gives the optimal satisfaction.

Loot: One of the biggest changes that I loved about this game is the uniqueness of the loot. I've spent most of my playthrough with specific weapons that fit my playstyle (first bearded axe then war hammer+light shield).

Exploration: 10/10, it's so addictive, and most of the maps are so well made and feel organic. Odyssey and Origins had problems with copy-paste caves, it's not the case anymore. At the edge of the map there are some signs of copy-paste rocks but it's an extremely tiny spot and probably due to deadline rush.

Side activities/missions: 9/10. The side missions are mostly short, and many of them are extremely cringy, but they don't drive you out of the region or so which is a great thing. Some of them are very good and give you nice rewards. But other quest that are tied to exploration most if not all of them are very enjoyable and have unique rewards, even your regular fortress as all loot are now unique. Legendary beasts, bosses, tricky caves exploration missions, standing stones challenges (one of the best!), glitches (side mission, puzzle that is engaging the Animus "Layla"), and many other great missions. Hunting down Order members is satisfying as well, and looking for intel.

Puzzles: 10/10, one of the best things about this game. Not talking about glitch missions alone or caves, even the very ordinary things of finding your way into a house to take the loot is rewarding! This makes exploration so satisfying.

Graphics: 9/10, they simply nailed HDR here, along with lighting being so great in most cases with some bad examples here and there, but overall it can get really photo-realistic in many occasions. Pop-ins are there though, it's not as smooth as Spiderman MM of course, no game on that level yet in LOD management. That's until we get rid of this shit LOD system 2-3 years from now in many games.

Story: 10/10, so wonderful and I successfully had the perfect ending due to carefully choosing my decisions. It's not very dramatic, but it's more of a series. Every region has some unique feel of it with a unique plot and twist. They really made a great job here.

Multi-maps: Won't say more, but the game feels like a base game+DLC's. Devs been pretty generous, and they deserve credit here.

Music: 9/10, the OST of this game is just gorgeous. Odyssey has better/perfect OST but this one is so close to it!

Negatives:

Screen tearing: Although it happens in very few occasions, or tied to some cities, it's an immersion killer and would take frame drops instead. Although performance seems solid at 60fps.

Difficulty: It starts as decent, but enemies are so slow, so dumb for the hardest difficulty setup. Enemies should be attacking instead of being so observant and so much hard attack sounds/visuals that makes things even easier. At level 190 I've killed a legendary beast at 400! I don't like RPG BS overall and think they did a good job with that, but the hardest difficulty is "normal" at best, or easy. Would have loved it if enemies keep upgrading with me like on Odyssey (it was optional). 51-levels gap isn't good enough. So I never use stealth like 1%, although I love stealth a lot, I just go to a fortress running and crushing them like superman. I love to be forced to use stealth.

Broken levels: Had one mission broken in this latest Yule Festival update that I can't finish, and another side mythical boss that now after the update I can't fight to collect his sword out of 3 to open a secret vault for special loot. Once they drop the next update I'll check again.

Arrow capacity bug: After the latest update, all arrow capacity upgrades are not applied so you only have basic capacity for all bows.

UPDATE: The bug has been fixed.

Verdict:

My opinion on the game overall: 9/10 (deserves 10/10 if not for the technical issues, easy difficulty). This game is indeed one of my best games ever, and it's my 3rd best game of 2020 after Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2. It's now sold for ~$41 on PS Store, if I would give it a price I think the base game alone deserves $100! Getting the season pass later indeed! WD:L is so much fun as well, it's so much fun that after buying the game for only ~$41 bought the season pass, and give it 9/10 although it's much more solid technically vs AC Valhalla. Now playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising and bought the gold edition for $66.9 during current discount on PSN (until 9th of January).

Anyway, the game is fucking massive and I might have forgot things, might update it later. I really think the game deserves more credit. Note that the game starts slow and was like 7/10 to me but it gets better and better the more you continue and the story starts maturing. I've collected every possible stuff in the game, except the glitched one and one minor chest in Norway that I will collect later!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is the story really that good? I heard lots of people thought the ending wasnt that god.

Depends on how it ends. I made the perfect, happy ending. It's not dramatic, not as elegantly represented as on Ghost of Tsushima and Sony exclusives in general. Also you don't end up with tears. It's just unique, fresh, new. Also it feels more like a series than a movie, so many little stories make a great experience in the end. And that's my personal opinion, doesn't mean someone is wrong or I'm right.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I stopped playing about 40-50 hours in. Will get back to it in a month or two.

Game just felt too long for what it is.

Figured my Christmas was better spent replaying Last of us 1 and 2 back to back.

Some side quests with their cringe could ruin the experience at the beginning, just keep pushing and the deeper your are the more it looks better. Story started so bad by the way, and you feel like WTF is happening. I liked how things ended up with many characters and how memorable they are and have different points of view.

4s92pj.jpg

After I finish my last two trophies in Ghost of Tsushima Legends Mode today, I am gonna either start up Fenyx Rising or Valhalla. Both seem to run great on PS5 so I am excited.

I heard the looting isn't the same in Valhalla as it is in Odyssey, which is a bummer to me because I like that style of loot, but everything else about Valhalla sounds right up my alley.

Thanks for your thoughts. Probably gonna go with Valhalla first, then Fenyx after

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
up graded my tv so Screen tearing isn’t an issue for me any more, thanks VRR!

Stalled out for a bit for some real life stuff about 80hrs in but gonna get back to it soon. On the 2nd dream area and these one off spaces (like them and Vinland) bum me out a bit. Also the holiday event fucked my arrows and none of the fixes have helped so rocking a max quiver but can only hold 20 arrows...

Hoping that gets fixed soon cause it annoying me.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
4s92pj.jpg

After I finish my last two trophies in Ghost of Tsushima Legends Mode today, I am gonna either start up Fenyx Rising or Valhalla. Both seem to run great on PS5 so I am excited.

I heard the looting isn't the same in Valhalla as it is in Odyssey, which is a bummer to me because I like that style of loot, but everything else about Valhalla sounds right up my alley.

Thanks for your thoughts. Probably gonna go with Valhalla first, then Fenyx after

You're welcome! I think you might get some kinda fatigue from melee gameplay games between the two as I'm getting now while playing Immortals. Although Immortals is fucking funny and light-hearted, and loving it so far and I'm still like 10+ hours in. You can get both for around $73, not sure about future discounts but it's a steal to the point I feel sorry for Ubisoft.

Loot is much better than Odyssey, I still love Odyssey more but exploration in Valhalla and side activities are better on Valhalla. Odyssey still has the impressive naval combat. Also the fort invasion main missions on Valhalla are wonderful but being too easy breaks the immersion to me. Odyssey was more challenging but all of them are easy overall. For comparison, Valhalla still harder than The Witcher 3 overall. But I want games to punish me like in God of War. Never tried the new Ghost of Tsushima difficulty but the highest one before was decent, especially with the boss fights and those straw hats and changing stances in general in GOT makes it miles ahead.

Great thread.

Yeah Ubi is like EA to me.

But i will reward them for making Immortals Fenyx rising which looks new and interesting.

Thanks! Enjoying that one currently, but I suggest you give WD:L and ACV a chance ;) Especially with the current discounts. WD:L is casual but so fun to play.

MarlboroRed

One thing I would note from my own experience with the PC version is to give SpecialK a whirl and run the game in borderless mode. The difference in frame pacing is absolutely incredible.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
up graded my tv so Screen tearing isn’t an issue for me any more, thanks VRR!

Stalled out for a bit for some real life stuff about 80hrs in but gonna get back to it soon. On the 2nd dream area and these one off spaces (like them and Vinland) bum me out a bit. Also the holiday event fucked my arrows and none of the fixes have helped so rocking a max quiver but can only hold 20 arrows...

Hoping that gets fixed soon cause it annoying me.

Yes, on XSX or PC with VRR you should be fine. PS5 still has no VRR support nor my TV has it. But never had screen tearing issues with Spiderman MM, Astro's Playroom, Watch Dogs: Legion, Genshin, Bugsnax (deleted this fucking game). So I can't give the devs a pass for their lazy V-Sync implementation.

Also didn't wanna spoil the other maps, but will add that in the positives because the game has many and feels like DLC's!

Thanks for the write-up Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem ! Will definitely pick this up, specially since it seems we have similar tastes in open-world games

You're welcome, mate! I wasn't feeling good about the game early on, even though I'm a massive Assassin's Creed fan. But man, this game has many things better than Odyssey, although overall I still prefer Odyssey.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem i was thinking about starting this tonight. I assume you're playing it on PlayStation from your other favorite games ... right?

Yes, I only play games on PlayStation, PS5 now. I have a very capable gaming PC, but I don't like playing on PC. My advice to all of you is to push forward in the game as it gets better the more you continue. You'll find many cringy side missions, but don't panic, side missions will get better later on.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this alot more than I thought I would.

Yup, it's addictive, actually.

I'd rather spend 160 hours playing multiple games cross different platforms.

Jim is not pleased.

Jim got his 30% cut, so he is pleased. :messenger_winking_tongue:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I loved it but not as much as odyssey. This one was more serious and I loved how goofy and silk my odyssey was with alexios

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Now go play the best ubisoft game in a while called immortals fenyx rising 😅

I'm playing it now! Funny narration from Zeus and that other guy making the game so charming, reminds me of the woman narrations on Prince of Persia that added a lot to the overall experience.

Ubi games are my comfort food.

This thread got me hyped. Think ima jump in tonight. First new game of the year and first true test for a new GPU. Should be a lovely weekend.

I buy most of Ubisoft games. Not all of them are good, but many are. WD: L is so fucking funny and fun to play, and much harder than AC Valhalla that makes you go for stealth. I would say perma-death is extreme though but a great challenge, I turned it off then couldn't turn it on again, sadly.

Ubisoft has been serving me good on PS5 so far, and AC Valhalla has some eye-watering moments in the game in terms of graphics!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I loved it but not as much as odyssey. This one was more serious and I loved how goofy and dolly odyssey was with alexios

Yes, I love Odyssey more, and Odyssey is more dramatic actually and had me in tears at the end. Gladly, I had the perfect ending on Odyssey as well. Odyssey is my 5th best game of all time, I think.

Warnen

Yes, on XSX or PC with VRR you should be fine. PS5 still has no VRR support nor my TV has it. But never had screen tearing issues with Spiderman MM, Astro's Playroom, Watch Dogs: Legion, Genshin, Bugsnax (deleted this fucking game). So I can't give the devs a pass for their lazy V-Sync implementation.

Also didn't wanna spoil the other maps, but will add that in the positives because the game has many and feels like DLC's!

Yeah Vahalla only game giving me issues as well, the 120fps mode I’m Destiny also a big plus.

Besides some of the open world jank only run into a few missions I can’t finish. One about moving jars to let someone out of a warehouse, one of the wall things I need to move is spawned over the jars so it’s stuck. If I break all the jars under it it still won’t move... and I got one of the rock stacking things I just can’t activate.

The dlc like areas aren’t bad, just don’t like it when a game takes away my gear lol, Vinland felt like Cuba in RDR2. The Dream areas are better becuase I got my stuff but no chances for cool loot so I’m clearing the for exp and I’m already over 300 in the 190 lvl dream world...

Weapon poison, Miasma skill and dual daggers make me feel unstopable, almost as good as the old combat from classic assassin creed.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i have no clue i played the intro until i reached the first new area,,

and i think the next 400 hours will be the same as the first 2

THAT is my problem with ubi games

Last edited:

MarlboroRed

Yes, I love Odyssey more, and Odyssey is more dramatic actually and had me in tears at the end. Gladly, I had the perfect ending on Odyssey as well. Odyssey is my 5th best game of all time, I think.
I guess that's different in taste for you: I hate Odyssey with a passion. Valhalla is alright, it does a lot of what bothered me with Odyssey a lot better, but so far Origin still takes the cake out of the three.

I have heard good things about Odysseys DLC though. Is it worth giving the game a second chance to play the DLC?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah Vahalla only game giving me issues as well, the 120fps mode I’m Destiny also a big plus.

Besides some of the open world jank only run into a few missions I can’t finish. One about moving jars to let someone out of a warehouse, one of the wall things I need to move is spawned over the jars so it’s stuck. If I break all the jars under it it still won’t move... and I got one of the rock stacking things I just can’t activate.

The dlc like areas aren’t bad, just don’t like it when a game takes away my gear lol, Vinland felt like Cuba in RDR2. The Dream areas are better becuase I got my stuff but no chances for cool loot so I’m clearing the for exp and I’m already over 300 in the 190 lvl dream world...

Weapon poison, Miasma skill and dual daggers make me feel unstopable, almost as good as the old combat from classic assassin creed.

Vinland was my best area, it forced me to hide and do stealth due to being very vulnerable. I'm around 80+ above 400 level in terms of mastery skills now. I really liked all the maps, maybe Norway was a bit boring because I usually don't like snow missions in most games, although I like snow in real life.

I don't like being unstoppable though, I prefer being punished like Give me God of War difficulty. But it wasn't as easy as Deathmarch on The Witcher 3 that I had to use my bare hands in older maps just to have some fun instead of one hit=kill.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I guess that's different in taste for you: I hate Odyssey with a passion. Valhalla is alright, it does a lot of what bothered me with Odyssey a lot better, but so far Origin still takes the cake out of the three.

I have heard good things about Odysseys DLC though. Is it worth giving the game a second chance to play the DLC?

Skip the Hidden Blade shit. Go right to the new areas.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Vinland was my best area, it forced me to hide and do stealth due to being very vulnerable. I'm around 80+ above 400 level in terms of mastery skills now. I really liked all the maps, maybe Norway was a bit boring because I usually don't like snow missions in most games, although I like snow in real life.

I don't like being unstoppable though, I prefer being punished like Give me God of War difficulty. But it wasn't as easy as Deathmarch on The Witcher 3 that I had to use my bare hands in older maps just to have some fun instead of one hit=kill.
I literally spent about an hour in Vinland. Killed the guy I needed to and left. Entire area felt pointless.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I liked the DLC's on Odyssey, they're not crazy good, and I liked Origins DLC's slightly better. They are good and if you liked Odyssey then you should like the DLC's. I love AC games as well for the history behind them and exploring different civilizations. I loved the maps in Valhalla much more vs Odyssey though, exploration is much better in Valhalla.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
GREAT thread and I really appreciate and value your opinion on this game because like me you hold the somewhat unpopular opinion on GAF the Odyssey is actually a fantastic game.

I still haven't gotten to this game yet since I'm playing too many other games at the moment, but after reading this thread I think I need to make Valhalla the next game I play.

Warnen

cools, I always like assassin creed because it made you feel unstoppable. Maybe that’s why I fell off the last 2 with the switch to souls lite combat system.

glad the game can cater to all types though. Prob my fav game this year other then destiny 2.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
You may so, but it was a good change and hard enough to challenge me.
I hated not having my gear tbh

my skill point allocation was very gear dependent and I didn’t feel like respecing 200 points or whatever it was

Last edited by a moderator:

MarlboroRed

I liked the DLC's on Odyssey, they're not crazy good, and I liked Origins DLC's slightly better. They are good and if you liked Odyssey then you should like the DLC's. I love AC games as well for the history behind them and exploring different civilizations. I loved the maps in Valhalla much more vs Odyssey though, exploration is much better in Valhalla.
Alright, I'll add it to the backlog and give Odyssey a second chance once I'm done with Valhalla. (y)

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I made it to 50 hours and haven't picked it up in a few weeks. I'll probably go back to it sometime soon. It's just way too long and I feel like I need to break it up. It's a good game other then the bloat. I do agree it is too easy. To parry you can just mash the button over and over and don't even have to time it. I rarely ever get hit. I think Immortals is the better of the Ubisoft games. I'd give that around a 9 and AC around an 8.

Certinty

Can’t say I agree at all.

Put like 35 hours into it and got half way through the story and just gave up.

Story sucked and was overlong long and dragged out, every region was the same repetitive missions and God know what else. It was like 10 hours of content to progress the actual main story just a little.

Horrible game design in my eyes. 90% of the story was basically side content forced into story missions.

BuffNTuff

Banned
Game has atrocious character models.... really makes the drama and tone seem laughable in 2020.

Put in 60 hours and I’m just exhausted.

Overall the graphics of the world are very good but the models need a complete overhaul they just look so bad and dated. The fur and hair especially looked terrible.

I definitely enjoyed myself but it just hit me like a brick wall at the 60 hour mark and seeing that I was not even half way done with the game... just too much filler and grind for the sake of nothing.

AC hasn’t really felt like AC since unity anyways, which is the best AC. These “antiquity” ones are just really bloated overweight historical rpgs that bank on the ass creed brand but the fact that they even shoehorn the assassin shit into a game about Vikings is absolutely stupid. Ironically, the assassin and modern storylines were always the worst part of the series.

I just hate that Ubi always seems to fuck up the time period selection from basically the start.

Assassin creed 2 - we’re going to Italy! But it’s during the Renaissance not Ancient Rome (still was cool though)
Brotherhood - you got it! We’re going to Rome! But not during Ancient Rome.
AC revelations - Constantinople, but not during the crusades
Ac 3 - America during the revolution, something nobody asked for and the beginning of the assassin part just being stupid.
AC IV - we’re now in the Caribbean for some reason playing a pirates game but we’re too scared to create a new IP so we will just piggyback on AC
AC Unity - we’re in Paris! But not during Louis XIV which is obvious but during the French Revolution. That being said, the rendition was tremendous.
AC origins - now were in Egypt just not the period of Egypt anyone actually gave a shit about
AC Odyssey - ok cool but it’s just time to drop the assassin creed name
AC valhalla - we’re going to Medieval England but instead of being a knight for King Arthur or Richard the lion heart you’re a fucking Viking.

Oh and let’s just totally skip out on the obvious AC Japan everyone wanted and fumble so hard that another studio can basically steal concept with ghosts of tsushima.

I’m kind of over it at this point.

dorkimoe

No way to quick change bows is a joke
The loot sucks. I liked looting better weapons and scrapping the old ones
The underground stuff is so fucking annoying and it gets repetitive knocking doors down

Banned
it's honestly one of the worst AC games I've played.

I couldn't tell you a single actually good thing about it. it's all just a sea of mediocrity and straight crap

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Yup, Hidden Blade shit is just shockingly short and underwhelming, but would play it anyway as it's dirt-cheap now.

GREAT thread and I really appreciate and value your opinion on this game because like me you hold the somewhat unpopular opinion on GAF the Odyssey is actually a fantastic game.

I still haven't gotten to this game yet since I'm playing too many other games at the moment, but after reading this thread I think I need to make Valhalla the next game I play.

Yeah, I actually feel many are kinda "afraid" to express they joy in AC games and Ubisoft games in general due to the stereotype against them. If you didn't play WD:L, they you should as well! And Odyssey made me cry like a baby towards the end, but gladly and had the "perfect" ending with everyone around the table ;) Same with Valhalla, I went against my taste just to be sure to have the best ending, and made the perfect ending again!

The content in ACV is just massive, and enjoyed every moment in the game except some very few cringy side missions. I prefer Odyssey though. Spent around 250+ hours on Odyssey+DLC's, 140+ just for the base game. Around 110+ hours on base Origins with more on DLC's. Overall, I don't like RPG's, and would rather have something like Ghost of Tsushima that keeps difficulty in check and skill-based instead of grind-based although it has some RPG elements. GOT wasn't that hard but gave a decent challenge overall, didn't try the new difficulty though and I usually give games a one go so it's usually for the hardest possible.

cools, I always like assassin creed because it made you feel unstoppable. Maybe that’s why I fell off the last 2 with the switch to souls lite combat system.

glad the game can cater to all types though. Prob my fav game this year other then destiny 2.

Yup, my older brother isn't a skillful gamer and he's having a blast in it. He finds it difficult, but would rather have more difficulty and easy mode for those who like lesser challenge.

I hated not having my gear tbh

my skill point allocation was very gear dependent and I didn’t feel like respecing 200 points or whatever it was

It felt like those "jail" missions that you go without your gear. I 100% completed the map, along with all other maps.

I want the complete package. Dlcs seems solid as well. Will wait for a big promo.

If you have something to play now, then wait ;)

Thanks, mate. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I got about 15 hours in to Acorgins 3 before I decided to put Ubi+ on hold and just pick up Acorgins 3 on it's own when it goes on sale for <$20. Like most Ubi games the tone is all over the place. It's rated M but the story is teen lit. Combat seems to have regressed from Acorgins and Acorgins 2. Even with the teen lit aspects, the story seems to be the strongest of the Acorgins series. The most redeeming qualty the game has in my view.

It just feels made by committee and uninspired. Like there wasn't a visionary at the helm who really loved the game.

Unity2012

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Great points. I'm not done yet but enjoying my time with it.

Glad you're playing Fenyx Rising, that game is my favorite of last year. It doesn't take itself too serious, it's fun, funny at times and absolutely beautiful.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Great points. I'm not done yet but enjoying my time with it.

Glad you're playing Fenyx Rising, that game is my favorite of last year. It doesn't take itself too serious, it's fun, funny at times and absolutely beautiful.

Had quality time so far with Fenyx Rising, it's pretty, puzzles are fun. Still too early for me to comment on it but everything seems very good!

And in my review here I tried my best to avoid spoilers, as many would probably be hesitant but might think that this post would tempt them to give it a try, especially that it's discounted now. So spoiling anything won't be good, but there is so much to talk about if it's spoiled. I really loved the story collectively.

Last edited:

Bliddo

I’m liking it, I like the tone, the story and the exploration.
The stealth sucks though, and combat is just ok.
One thing that I love: way less fake accents, it drove me insane in other AC games, everyone used to talk like a dumb racial stereotype, here it’s toned down, a lot.

I own it on PS5 (gift), but I can't bring myself to play it. I'm so burnt out on the Ubisoft formula. And, honestly, this just looks like the last two Assassin's Creed games that I had to force myself to finish.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is it really that easy? Even on the hardest difficulty?

For examply, The Witcher 3 on Deathmarch is even much easier. RDR2 is extremely easy, much easier than both The Witcher 3 and AC Valhalla. AC Valhalla is much harder than both, but way easier than Ghost of Tsushima, which was "decent" in terms of difficulty, but didn't try the latest difficulty update on GOT as I only give the games one go.

But heard some people say that Deathmarch on The Witcher 3 was hard? So I don't know, it's a problem you have with RPG's if you love exploration you end up being overpowered. But on AC Valhalla I killed a legendary beast at 400 while me being at 190. Which is good and gave me nice challenge. Some bosses at level 340 and me at 157 (mythical boss, witch) was very hard though.

I was enjoying the difficulty early on, but then I got pretty overpowered with all the abilities, upgrades, etc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really, really enjoyed it. Definitely in my top 5 of the year, but I also adore the setting and time period, so that did a lot of the heavy lifting towards giving me a favorable impression.

Biggest negatives for me were:

- The raids and assaults sucked. They really needed to make the number of NPCs finite. Having NPCs just constantly respawn off screen (or sometimes on screen!) ruined it and made you just rush to whatever the objective was instead of engaging with the battles.

- Stealth abilities got crippled compared to the last two games and your bird was useless. Fine given the setting I suppose, but still disappointing.

- Heavy penalties for killing non-combatants. How ridiculous is it that you can't slaughter priests in your monastery raids as a fucking viking? Pure blasphemy and they didn't even attempt to explain the restriction in the story.

- Parkour felt buggier than previous entries.

- I liked that there was less equipment, but at the same time I felt extremely restricted in terms of armor due to the lack of upgrade materials. I rotated between a few different weapon sets throughout the game, but never had enough materials do really play around with different armor sets.

Everything else I really enjoyed. The visuals were absolutely outstanding and breathtaking at many times.

Top Bottom