• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage's "more intimate scale" was directly shaped by fans exhausted with enormous RPGs

Drizzlehell

Banned
Thank god this new AC game will only take 130 hours to complete instead of 550 hours of the last two games.

Thank you Ubisoft for being so considerate of our time and taking fan feedback seriously.

EDMIX

I am though.

No, thanks. RDR is also way too big for its own good. It has brillant moments, but they get buried by the overall scale too. I had more fun with the Call of Juarez games.

Somehow it should be possible to create those huge AC games and than make a scaled down compact distilled version, special edition or whatever, of it for gamers who want that. Make two things from one game instead of trying to do two separate forks. Especially if the lore kind of is connected between the entries.

yea i think quality and compact matter a lot. I don't mind short games, if they are good. Maybe having 15 hours or so for this title and 100 plus for those larger rpg ones makes sense.

ahtlas7

It’s possible to do both: open and interesting game worlds, if you have a dedicated leadership and team with that goal. But, Ubi designs games to sell addon shit to people in their store. Bloated game worlds = more opportunities to sell players useless trinkets while making the world less interesting to explore and adventure.

I do hope that Ubi is serious with this installment. It’s sad to see what the once great Ubisoft has become.

gothmog

Gold Member
An enormous RPG does not have to be a MMO/job simulator. More memorable parts and less sideshow bullshit would be welcome.

Kacho

Gold Member
Developers and players breathe a sigh of relief.

Honestly the open world AssCreed’s wouldn’t be so bad if there was more interesting things to do. You have a million treasures to find and none of it is useful. Quests are mind numbing affairs. If the scale of the game is affecting your ability to craft engaging content then scale it back.

I kinda hope not. As someone who got the Platinum trophy in Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla, I love those games; what they represent.

I'd understand loosening up on the "level gating" in those games so that those that don't want to work their asses off to progress can do so. For me, though, I love the worlds and want to be in them for a long time, so I'm disappointed.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
How to make the current Assassin's Creed's formula 100x better in three steps:

1 - Reduce the padding by 100x
2 - Make sure you follow rule #1
3 - Make sure you follow rule #2

It looks like Ubisoft mistook "padding" for "RPG elements". It's two different things. You can have all the RPG elements without forcing players to do 500 fetch quests, kill 400 assassination targets and conquer 300 outposts.

I fear they still didn't get the message right, and this game might become a "corridor assassin" of sorts.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Origins was the perfect size and had a good character.
Odyssey was a bit big but Kassandra was a GREAT character so it made up for it.
Valhalla is just an overblown mess with horrible game design decisions (the open door with keys hidden in god known where is just a mess) with a horrible character in eivor

For a game focused on Vikings, I found it weird how thoroughly unexciting Valhalla was.

It was a fun romp for sure but…

Ywap

Odyssey is a masterpiece imo, its excellent, but i think it could have done without the ac branding.
Yeah, but it's probably good from a business perspective to use the brand though. They could perhaps have two flavours running at the same time and release them every other year... 🤔

Laptop1991

Saiyan-Rox

Thank fuck for that cause they're getting way too big.

I still haven't went back to Valhalla to play Ragnarok because thinking of that map and game gives me anxiety

Ywap

I'm currently going through Mankind Divided again. A game where the main hub area is comprised of maybe half a dozen city blocks.
It's packed with so much detail and with such incredible depth that it makes those behemoth maps Ubisoft dares call a "city" look like deserts.
It's sad beyond belief that this franchise (and Arkane:s games) will never get the sales they deserve 😥

Last edited:
Imo Origins was the only good one out the 3 because it was their first real stab at RPG AC.

The side quests developed Bayek more as a character, the world wasn't bloated with crap, the inventory and weapon scaling wasn't too in depth to be overwhelming.

On your point about underdeveloped, they added enemy scaling eventually so that wouldn't be an issue, however I don't recall the game really level gating you too hard anyway and I've played through it multiple times.
Origins is my fave of the recent ones too. I really enjoyed the story and Bayek as a character.
The setting was pretty.
but i felt the combat wasn't good. The A.I wasn't fun to fight. And the game holds ur hand way too much, killing any and all exploration. They still haven't nailed it with the new formula yet

hussar16

It's a lot more fun if you play easy mode as it allows you to one hit most enemies earlier in the game with the hidden blade. RPG's are fine but the leveling system is what broke the game.
You can still let me role play, dress my character and level up my equipment without making the enemies impossible to kill.
I did this to but it gets tiresome still. Ur An ssasins and u can't do much.
I disagree, had it been "Unity in Egypt" the game would have been boring 5-6 hours in (Just like Unity was). The formula for old AssCreed is stale, even going back and playing II now feels so hollow and empty.
What planet r u from. I was having so much fun in unity that I wanted more story content .after the dlc I was so bummed out.

Mossybrew

I generally enjoy big open worlds I can spend a lot of time in, but Valhalla was just too much, too big, and more importantly, it all felt too same-y. It felt like you were doing more or less the same thing in each area, none of the characters were very interesting, and the environments themselves didn't have a whole lot of variety. I'm ready for a smaller AC for sure.

KXVXII9X

I'm currently going through Mankind Divided again. A game where the main hub area is comprised of maybe half a dozen city blocks.
It's packed with so much detail and with such incredible depth that it makes those behemoth maps Ubisoft dares call a "city" look like deserts.
If they can make something even half as good as that, there might be a future for this company.
Given that there's rumors of a possible acquisition (and apparently were laughed out of every offer), that future might be rather short.
After discovering Deus Ex Human Revolution, it was what I wished for game worlds to be. The word is smaller but a lot more dense and it feels much more to scale and alive. Sadly we just get stale, empty open worlds.

Origins and Odyssey were fantastic. Odyssey especially with the Atlantis dlc. Have yet to complete Valhalla but the formula has been done to death with 3rd iteration of the same thing. Its why Mirage is gonna be so good, been a while since we had a 20-30 hour compact ass creed adventure.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah they did, they had stores remember,

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

EDMIX

It took 10 years to realise that exponential bloat isn't fun

Depends on the gamer.

Some feel they are getting a value and can LARP all over that thing lol

Some feel its too much.

But in their defense, no one is forcing ANYONE to play 100% of any of those games, but that can be said about any RPG, so I'd rather have a huge game with lots of missions and things to do and an option to just play the main quest, then this forced thing that limits content based on how other gamers feels.

They don't need to 100% everything, so why should other gamers get less content based on something that is completely optional? So not everything even sees it like this, literally look at GymWolf GymWolf comment right after, he is waiting for AC Red.

So I see both sides of this argument, but I think it makes more sense for those gamers to just stick to the main quest. I did that for AC Origins and beat it in around 40 hours or so and loved it, could I do more? Probably

but I'd rather have that option to choose myself.

So I don't see this as some "oh they found it wasn't fun" merely that they are giving more options for those who like the smaller AC titles.

Why would they then announce 2 other open world RPG ones with Red and Hexe? This path makes sense for all parties involved.

Last edited:
Depends on the gamer.

Some feel they are getting a value and can LARP all over that thing lol

Some feel its too much.

But in their defense, no one is forcing ANYONE to play 100% of any of those games, but that can be said about any RPG, so I'd rather have a huge game with lots of missions and things to do and an option to just play the main quest, then this forced thing that limits content based on how other gamers feels.

They don't need to 100% everything, so why should other gamers get less content based on something that is completely optional? So not everything even sees it like this, literally look at GymWolf GymWolf comment right after, he is waiting for AC Red.

So I see both sides of this argument, but I think it makes more sense for those gamers to just stick to the main quest. I did that for AC Origins and beat it in around 40 hours or so and loved it, could I do more? Probably

but I'd rather have that option to choose myself.

So I don't see this as some "oh they found it wasn't fun" merely that they are giving more options for those who like the smaller AC titles.

Why would they then announce 2 other open world RPG ones with Red and Hexe? This path makes sense for all parties involved.

I just think the gameplay loop is trash, but I did like Black Flag

EDMIX

I just think the gameplay loop is trash, but I did like Black Flag

I'm ok with the gameplay loop.

I'd want more variety, but I'm also ok with what it is currently as well.

I hope we get one on a tropical island again.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Hope its not another just city AC, i love landscapes etc in AC games. Unity was beyond boring to me.
lol some of theses comments prove lots of people like different AC titles for different reasons.

I agree with loving the landscapes in the AC titles as their artist that work on those worlds are top tier, from the effects of day time, night time, fog, playing the series is a visual feast.

But I do like the Cities too as the same level of detail and thought goes into that just as much.

So maybe we really just need the series split with one being huge and open and one being a bit smaller in scope for those that like that.

Arun1910

So maybe we really just need the series split with one being huge and open and one being a bit smaller in scope for those that like that
I think that's the way it's going now. All those new AC projects that were announced last year (including Mirage) were all different from each other in terms of what kind of game they would be.

How about getting creative with the open world instead of littering the entire map with camps that all have the same objectives? It's ridiculous how many there are.

It wasn't the "enormous RPG" aspect. It was the bloat.

Elden Ring is enormous, and does not feel bloated.
At this point I don't know if they will ever understand. I fully believe they will simply stumble into something that's close to being right, and sometimes some of their games feel that way.

Top Bottom