• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla lets you have homosexual romances

Ar¢tos

Offensive, yes. Homophobic, no.
So you are basically admitting your intentions to offend gay users in this forum when you said multiple times it is a disorder?

Reported.

Not that it will do much good, you are obviously a troll/alt account.

Cycom

Banned
So you are basically admitting your intentions to offend gay users in this forum when you said multiple times it is a disorder?

Reported.

Not that it will do much good, you are obviously a troll/alt account.
Not looking to offend anyone. You’re offended, as are others. Your problem dealing with different opinions.

Ar¢tos

Not looking to offend anyone. You’re offended, as are others. Your problem dealing with different opinions.
You are not looking to offend anyone, yet you said multiple times it is a disorder KNOWING it offends people?
Sure Jan.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
andddd I am not buying this. not because of that. everyone is free to do whatever they want. Its because they are trying to push an agenda down our throat. and they can fuck off i am not ok with that.

Video games are never and should be NEVER about who u fucking in the game.
What agenda they pushing?

GreenAlien

If the WHO says it's not a disorder, it's good enough for me.
Here is an alternate opinion.
(Robert L. Kinney III, The Linacre Quarterly , 2015; fair warning, it's the official journal of the Catholic Medical Association, so it might be biased.)

It argues that "adjustment and social functioning" are not sufficient to determine whether something is a mental disorder or not, the problems that using only these factors causes in the classification of other potential mental disorders like for sadists or exposers and proposes an alternative.

Out of context quote, I recommend reading the full thing..
....it is an absurd conclusion arrived at from the erroneous premise that any thought process that does not cause maladjustment is not a mental disorder.

Personally , I am undecided on that front..
Even if it is a disorder, maybe just keeping the medical equivalent of a legal fiction for some harmless mental disorders, and just treating them as if they were not disorders, even though they are, is ultimately better for everyone, since no treatment is required?

What is the point of being adamant about it being a disorder, when you do not intend to do anything (like in the form of treatment) about it anyway?

Does the "adjustment and social functioning" based classification cause mental disorders that really should be treated to go untreated?

Last edited:

GiJoint

My Alexios romanced anyone when the option came up. Always a good laugh. Even more funny after the that DLC, he just moved on to his next hit.

He really needs an STD checkup.

Last edited:

Jbomb19

My Alexios romanced anyone when the option came up. Always a good laugh. Even more funny after the that DLC, he just moved on to his next hit.

He really needs an STD checkup.
I’m gonna bang...

0ZzU1go.gif

Hari Seldon

Just leave romances out of these games entirely. They add very little value but come with the huge downside that unless the writing is perfect and you cater to the infinite combinations of sex when you try to represent the sexual fetishes of the 0.000001%, the goat people will be at the gates.

clem84

Gold Member
While Odyssey came out strong with an approach that encouraged players to roleplay as a heterosexual, homosexual or asexual character, that narrative hit a bump when DLC forced your protagonist to marry and have a child. While Ubisoft apologised and corrected the mistake, one hopes that Valhalla will learn from Odyssey‘s mistakes and provide a playthrough with the need for a patch.
Gone are the days when you could just play a game, escape reality a little and become someone else. Nowadays you have to play as who you are in real life, and if the devs won't allow you to do that, even if it's just for a small part of the game, the DLC in this case, they're hateful biggots. I just love what pop culture has become.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gone are the days when you could just play a game, escape reality a little and become someone else. Nowadays you have to play as who you are in real life, and if the devs won't allow you to do that, even if it's just for a small part of the game, the DLC in this case, they're hateful biggots. I just love what pop culture has become.

How does having more options force you into playing yourself?

Teslerum

Just leave romances out of these games entirely. They add very little value but come with the huge downside that unless the writing is perfect and you cater to the infinite combinations of sex when you try to represent the sexual fetishes of the 0.000001%, the goat people will be at the gates.

Pretty much. A lot of modern video game writers would be better served not to focus on sexuality and instead putting the time in fleshing out charachtes.

Kagey K

Banned
In Mass effect 1 i romanced Ashley. In Mass Effect 2 I wanted to mourn her loss, but I was nice to Jack.

Near the end of it I was forced into a Romance scene with Jack because I was nice to her. I felt violated, because I didn’t think of her that way and then paid for it when Ashley and I reconnected in ME3.

It wasn’t my fault, but I never got to explain my side of the story.

Last edited:
Here is an alternate opinion.
(Robert L. Kinney III, The Linacre Quarterly , 2015; fair warning, it's the official journal of the Catholic Medical Association, so it might be biased.)

It argues that "adjustment and social functioning" are not sufficient to determine whether something is a mental disorder or not, the problems that using only these factors causes in the classification of other potential mental disorders like for sadists or exposers and proposes an alternative.

Out of context quote, I recommend reading the full thing..

Personally , I am undecided on that front..
Even if it is a disorder, maybe just keeping the medical equivalent of a legal fiction for some harmless mental disorders, and just treating them as if they were not disorders, even though they are, is ultimately better for everyone, since no treatment is required?

What is the point of being adamant about it being a disorder, when you do not intend to do anything (like in the form of treatment) about it anyway?

Does the "adjustment and social functioning" based classification cause mental disorders that really should be treated to go untreated?

It's funny, I'm gay and I really don't even worry about what people call it, all I know is I have never been attracted to women sexually and I knew I was attracted to the same sex at the same time all of my friends started getting into girls. Nobody groomed me to be gay, had never knowingly met a gay person until I as in my mid teens and that was a sisters friend who just came by to pick her up lol. There are people out there who say we choose it, we don't and we can tell them until we are blue in the face but they'd rather believe the person who asks them for money every Sunday instead,

stickkidsam

While Odyssey came out strong with an approach that encouraged players to roleplay as a heterosexual, homosexual or asexual character, that narrative hit a bump when DLC forced your protagonist to marry and have a child. While Ubisoft apologised and corrected the mistake, one hopes that Valhalla will learn from Odyssey‘s mistakes and provide a playthrough with the need for a patch.
lmao "mistake"

Neat that players can rub their dolls together however they want, but I thought that Assassin's Creed was a character driven series ultimately (not in the choose your own adventure sense either). Having the protagonists fall in love with someone canonically kinda comes with the territory.

Kanton

Cool, i dont see a problem with that. Banging a bloke is not for me personally but i wouldnt bang chubby girls either. 60 kg plus = mental disorder for sure. God did not intend them that big and these freaks where not born like that.

In a way that's pure win for cost saving during development - instead of writing and recording different dialogue lines based on gender chosen by player you just record one set which can be used no matter what player chooses.

Boss Mog

Why does there need to be romance at all though? AC2 and AC Brotherhood are my favorite AC games and neither of them had "romancing" as part of the gameplay. God of War didn't have any romance gameplay in it either and it was one of the best games I've played this gen if not the best. It seems like they are including romances just to be able to virtue signal about having homosexual ones.

What I want from an AC viking game is historical accuracy, good story and thrilling combat, not romance. The trailer showed great potential but now this has probably been relegated to the bargain bin.

Jbomb19

It's funny, I'm gay and I really don't even worry about what people call it, all I know is I have never been attracted to women sexually and I knew I was attracted to the same sex at the same time all of my friends started getting into girls. Nobody groomed me to be gay, had never knowingly met a gay person until I as in my mid teens and that was a sisters friend who just came by to pick her up lol. There are people out there who say we choose it, we don't and we can tell them until we are blue in the face but they'd rather believe the person who asks them for money every Sunday instead,

THIS.

when people talk about “choosing to be gay,” I just ask them when they chose to be straight.

Casanova

It’s not normal, never has been. It’s a disorder.

As a gay person who is a practicing psychologist, being gay is absolutely is no way a disorder, just like people shouldn't throw their kids with Autism in the basement for life anymore. You seem to be completely unaware that scientific views change over time with supporting data, which is why it is no longer considered a disorder. 99% of mental health professionals would agree, and the World health Organization has deemed it. You are being homophobic. Ignorance on science does not warrant you a homophobia pass - you're still homophobic. God, I hope you never have kids - and if you do have kids, they're in serious trouble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom