• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla lets you have homosexual romances

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Vtdm5um.gif

Alx

Key question:

WHY does there need to be romancing in an Assassin's Creed game, fullstop?

It tells the story of the lifetime of (pseudo)historical characters. Most people have romance in their lives, and so do those characters. Ezio Auditore had a love interest, I don't remember it being an issue. So did the guy in Paris and the gal in London.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Key question:

WHY does there need to be romancing in an Assassin's Creed game, fullstop?

It adds nothing, it's always cringe because western devs don't know how to portray love, and it's simply unnecessary.

Instead of adding woke bs, add more cool stealth mechanics and stuff.

some just want to send a message rather than delivering a game ..and that’s so disgusting imo .. Assassins creed has changed a lot it’s not about old group who wants to change the world but now it’s about making stupid choices With empty big world

it’s so sad that games became like a stage for disgusting things to spread around the world .. advertising a game comes with the content of the game the combat and the elements.. I don’t need to make love in a game !! That’s so stupid .. I miss old days tbh

It tells the story of the lifetime of (pseudo)historical characters. Most people have romance in their lives, and so do those characters. Ezio Auditore had a love interest, I don't remember it being an issue. So did the guy in Paris and the gal in London.
Probably because it was with himself, the poser.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Cassandra actually kinda fit with being a lesbian. I was actually impressed with how ambiguous they made her.

actually I pretty much banged whoever I could in Odyssey.

Half Life 2 was fine without Freeman banging Alyx.
MGS5 was fine without Snake banging Skinbreather.
FF10 was fine without Tidus banging Yuna.

It just feels that Ubisoft includes romancing because BECAUSE, just like James Bond movies have meaningless sex scenes.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Yep, I loved my lesbian romances in Odyssey with Kassandra. Alexios on the otherhands was a big time womanizer.

I was PISSED when my Kassandra was forced to mate with that BETA.

So "Hetero" male relationships for me and hot lesbian action if i ever play a female character ;)

Alx

Half Life 2 was fine without Freeman banging Alyx.
MGS5 was fine without Snake banging Skinbreather.
FF10 was fine without Tidus banging Yuna.

Don't know about Tidus, but Gordon Freeman or Snake don't really come off as "believable" characters. I think they do a better job fueling the cliché that "gamers have no life" actually.
Also AC has its lore based on DNA memory, so in order to fit in that story, all characters need to have descendants.

Flintty

Can’t be a bad thing to have both sexes and all three orientations catered for.

I just want to rape and pillage though.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Those were set stories with set romances that added to the narrative. Take Edwards "romance" side plot, for example. Caroline and the life of riches he wanted to share with her was his entire motivation for becoming a pirate. That ultimately ended up costing him his life with her since she died of a terminal disease before he could return, and it tied directly in to the ending with him retiring to England a changed man and meeting his daughter. That was the best ending to any AC game.

Contrast that with what we got in Odyssey and what we'll likely get here. Neither are actually romances. That's just the less aggressive word they use to relate the idea that Eivor will be banging his way through Wessex.

Last edited:

Cactuarman

Banned

GreatnessRD

Some of these comments are... interesting

Try not to throw up but... 13 years ago in Mass Effect, I, a straight male, played as a female Shep and I romanced a female alien.

tenor.gif
Looks like the game was ahead of its time. Especially with the nutjobs out there these days.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Some of these comments are... interesting

Try not to throw up but... 13 years ago in Mass Effect, I, a straight male, played as a female Shep and I romanced a female alien.

tenor.gif

every comment represents the one who wrote it , so for me I don't care if 13 years ago or 50 years ago still I don't care about it in any game and i'm looking for fun and a good story but not to be excited for a love scene in A GAME ! that would be stupid imo

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Odyssey had this, see no issue with it.

Pretty sure religions before christianity had this everywhere

I was OK with romance options in Odyssey, it wasn't forced on you. I let Kassandra get down with Alkabiades the horndog to get the achievement :messenger_beaming:

Yet another reason to not buy Ubisoft's games.

Giving people options is a reason not to buy a game? you doing what you want and others having the option to do what they want should be applauded, they aren't forcing an agenda on anyone they are allowing people who exist in the world to enjoy their game the way they see fit.

If it's anything like Odyssey it's not very meaningful anyway but I appreciated the fact that I could choose one way or the other. I'm gay and honestly Alexios flirting and then the implied sex after made me laugh because it was so corny but it's not like he had a relationship with anyone it was just some implied fun and then back to the action. The fable series even let you have same sex marriages and it didn't hurt anyone lol.

If this were say Uncharted and they turned Nathan Drake gay I'd be pissed because the guy has an established record of being heterosexual and I find it lazy and pandering when existing characters are made to change, sexual orientation, gender or ethnicity, new characters with those traits should be created not changing existing characters that people are already attached to.

I appreciate inclusion but I also don't like when it's clearly done for self promotion and the desire to elicit praise from people because it's not genuine.

Fbh

I don't get why anyone would be mad at this.
It's just another option that fits in well with the direction they are taking the franchise (more RPG than action/adventure)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
B8Gz9pw.gif

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla lets you have homosexual romances

"You can choose how to approach [romances] any way you see fit."

Just like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey before it, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will let you engage in homosexual romances.

Speaking with Stevivor, Narrative Director Darby McDevitt said that homosexual relationships will be possible.

“Yeah — there’s a lot of romances to have that can be found all over the map,” he said, “and you can choose how to approach them any way you see fit.”

While Odyssey came out strong with an approach that encouraged players to roleplay as a heterosexual, homosexual or asexual character, that narrative hit a bump when DLC forced your protagonist to marry and have a child. While Ubisoft apologised and corrected the mistake, one hopes that Valhalla will learn from Odyssey‘s mistakes and provide a playthrough with the need for a patch.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is planned for a holiday 2020 release on Windows PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS4, PS5 and Stadia where available.

Source: Stevivor

Yes, yes, I know: "Who cares?"

I really hope they don't just make every fuckable NPC bisexual to accommodate this system.

See no evil hear no evil? Sounds like you'd like to be an ostrich with your head in the sand, if it's an option you have to voluntary chose anyway, why would the presence of it offend you?
Cause get that sausage out my face! That's why! 😡Joking. Calm down. Lol. A.C.O is one of my favorite games ever.

Last edited:
I imagine romances will work the same as they did in Odyssey.

Talk to quest character.
Select romance options.
Both characters begin to kiss for 3 seconds then the screen fades to black.
Both characters reappear on screen and say goodbye, never to see each other again.
Quest Completed: 10000xp

Pretty deep stuff.

Last edited:

Arkam

People also go to the bathroom and at a few points in life really (REALLY) bad diarrhea... we need that in a game too?

TreyCinco

Neo Member
Normally I wouldn’t want sexual content in any game, since it is though my character will be named the Mandingo Warrior and no one will be spared. I’ll be dual wielding my thang

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You obviously haven't played The Witcher 3.
True but don't most heterosexual sex scenes in both games and any other form of entertainment seen as unnecessary, its mostly criticised.
A lot of the time there is usually a love interest which dictates the characters sexual preferences, mainly because it involves another main character so it is story related.
But the story pushes everything along, most of the time a kiss is the most you get.
Sometimes there will be a brief intimate moment.
What I have noticed is with LGBT characters is there's more focus on sexual drama, everything revolves around it.
AC Odyssey had a story to tell and the need for sexual relationship wasn't needed until the scene that triggered everyone
By including them and giving the players the freedom of sexual preference it destroyed the story because these that choose differently didn't like the outcome that was originally released.
Ironically they thought that by having their character having a child it would mean their choices didn't matter or wasn't canon.
Yet no matter what it'll never be canon in a series about bloodlines and DNA.

Last edited:

Arkam

You'll meet someone and fuck them within two lines of dialogue. Seriously this is the most throw away content ever.

Thats exactly why I made my comment above (about pooping). Only add elements that really enhance teh game experience. Vapid 'love' stories that feel tacked on are a waste of time and dilute the rest of the experience. If you can do it well, more power to you. Most dont.

GreenAlien

Not surprising, considering the prequel already did it. Not even really news worthy.

Let's just hope the priestess from the trailer is available. :messenger_savoring:
I like her antlers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom