• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: First Look Gameplay Trailer | Ubisoft NA

GymWolf

Can't just blame Ubisoft. The entire Inside event was a joke.
no you can blame ubilol, they decide what to put in the event.
do you think xbox heads said no on having a real gameplay video from an important title like the next ac game in their proprietary mini-convention about third party games?

they probably fear backlash because the game is gonna be a viking rehashed copy paste ac odissey with mediocre combat, microtransaction to literally skip the game and infinite bloat once again :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

(joking, the game is gonna sell a shitton as usual no matter the quality)

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
For me it's pretty clear why they did that. This AC will look like Origins/Odyssey. Power of new consoles won't be utilized simply because it's far too early. Truly next-gen AC is at least 2-3 years away from now.

Even if it's cross-platform, the new AC can have much faster loading times, better draw-distance and pop-in of objects than the old games, that alone would be a decent upgrade for me. I'm playing AC Odyssey at the moment and loading a save seems to take 60 seconds with bushes appearing a few feet ahead as you ride Phobos.

GymWolf

wtf i love geoff now

2UzIxHG.png
wait did he really said that?

EDMIX

I think they did this because they plan on showing their gameplay stuff elsewhere.

This showcase for Series X was just awful.

Here is a list of last gen games you can play? Really? Nothing shown was even ONLY being made for next gen, everything was just some last gen games. So I'm sure AC Valhalla will get more gameplay and I think they just didn't want to do some major demo here. Good for Ubisoft, bad for MS. Ubisoft might want to have their own hype widow where they are the leading story for a bit so I suspect they don't want to be crowded with other games when they do their major demo.

Ceadeus

I remember AC black flag on PS4 being not representative of the console capabilities.

So I expect nothing much from this game either. You should not be like, super excited about it.

EDMIX

I remember AC black flag on PS4 being not representative of the console capabilities.

So I expect nothing much from this game either. You should not be like, super excited about it.

Well they did make a comment that they are using the SSD for the faster no load time speeds.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wow that was amazing....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Camreezie

Told us nothing the previous trailer didnt anyway... Would have way preferred a trailer in the style of Origins from E3 that year , guess it proves they are further out from a release date than we thought.

Nero_PR

Banned
Ubisoft has been dropping the ball in everything involving AC Valhalla's reveal

From that atrocious drawing livestream to this ONE AND A HALF MINUTE "gameplay" trailer, I really hope that they make up for it during Summer
This smells of the game not even close to being showcased. I already expect a buggy mess as usual. The best part when a new AC releases are the bugs compilation.

Ascend

When people are unable to distinguish between gameplay footage and cinematic footage, you know the graphics are good.

Nero_PR

Banned
Why would bait and switching your customers be a good idea? Who thought this is what people want to see?
They missed a massive opportunity of getting back some old fans that left with previous installments. They everything to make it right... aside from the presentation itself. Why did Ubisoft spent the last week building hype if they have nothing worthy of showing yet? Dumb move overall since it was there first big third-party IP being showcased in the new hardware.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
In-engine visuals look great, and I'm extremely hyped for this, but yeah, that's not a gameplay trailer.

Sybrix

With a game coming out this year not to show gameplay is worrying.

I suspect its the usual boring Ubi-game copy and paste job.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hoping for a game world as meticulously crafted as in Origins and not like in a random generator as in Odyssey. Juding for the trailer it looks like it's going to be like in Origins again. Can't wait. I've always loved to play AC mainly as some sort of historical sightseeing and Odyssey was such a huge letdown in this regard (though they did somehow make up for the lacking main game in the final DLC).

ruvikx

Banned
Hoping for a game world as meticulously crafted as in Origins and not like in a random generator as in Odyssey. Juding for the trailer it looks like it's going to be like in Origins again. Can't wait. I've always loved to play AC mainly as some sort of historical sightseeing and Odyssey was such a huge letdown in this regard (though they did somehow make up for the lacking main game in the final DLC).

My problem with Odyssey wasn't just the grind, or the story, characters or usual Ubisoft collectathon, it was the world itself which was far, far too "gamey". When Spartan & Athenian outposts were positioned merely meters away from each other, when both sides walked about without a care in the world & then sporadically engaged in skirmishes, when neither side seemed to care when the player character switched sides repeatedly, I noped out.

The whole thing required a suspension of disbelief towards the strange disconnect between the story & the game world on display.

Typical 'next gen reveal'. Bullshots, little to no actual gameplay, and a huge downgrade to look forward to. It'll be a couple of years before we see actual next gen stuff.

Bit ominous this isn't listed as 60fps on the Xbox site.

This was to be expected. It's a AAA, cross-gen, multi-platform open world game. I don't think that XSX can pull off 60FPS with all the graphical settings set to max. I would say a 60FPS mode with lower resolution is possible.

T-Cake

This was to be expected. It's a AAA, cross-gen, multi-platform open world game. I don't think that XSX can pull off 60FPS with all the graphical settings set to max. I would say a 60FPS mode with lower resolution is possible.

But surely that should make it a prime candidate for 60fps as it's got to run on the Xbone S!

Kagey K

Banned
I have to admit I got distracted from the “gameplay” when I saw it live because I saw some terrible fire “effects“ on the roof straight away and didn’t see anything else after.
I need to rewatch it and try to ignore that “fire”

sinnergy

For me it's pretty clear why they did that. This AC will look like Origins/Odyssey. Power of new consoles won't be utilized simply because it's far too early. Truly next-gen AC is at least 2-3 years away from now.

Whole show was aiming to give you an impression that all next-gen games will have cgi-like graphics. But start of new generation will be as boring as beginning of XBO/PS4. Higher resolution, a bit better textures, that's all until next-gen engines are ready.
Like every start of a new gen ... maybe MS 1-2 year plan is not that weird . 3rd parties and indies will struggle at the start. Engines can’t be rewritten in a couple of months. Even the higher 3.8 cpu clock is smart for porting a game over.

First parties on both sides will show what next-gen means in a couple of weeks, also like other generations.

Nothing new to see .. it has always been this way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom