• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – nine-minute Xbox Series X gameplay walkthrough

Edgelord79

Gold Member
People can shit on Ubi (and this thread will likely be full of it), but this looks like a good time. I'm getting it on PS5 and I'm expecting it to be very same to the SeX footage shown, so I'm pretty excited to play it.
People crap on Ubisoft all the time with good reason (including myself), but at the end of the day it's a game and if it's fun. That's the whole point.

I'll probably pick this up as well.

Gold_Loot

People can shit on Ubi (and this thread will likely be full of it), but this looks like a good time. I'm getting it on PS5 and I'm expecting it to be very same to the SeX footage shown, so I'm pretty excited to play it.
I feel the same way for the most part. I may hold off for a few months though. Although, I wouldn’t complain if the lady decided to pick it up for Christmas.

EDMIX

Same. I'll likely pick it up some time next year. Ubisoft Montreal went all out with this game, it looks amazing. The previews a few months ago didn't look to good, but looking at the current build, they've done a great job.

MiguelItUp

Am I the only one that thinks some of the combat animations look strange? Maybe they've always looked like that in AC, but to me they just look off....

GymWolf

Am I the only one that thinks some of the combat animations look strange? Maybe they've always looked like that in AC, but to me they just look off....
No, combat animations being shitty is one of the largest critiques from almost everyone.

They look a bit better than odissey tho, that game was really bad in terms of clmbat animations.

MiguelItUp

No, combat animations being shitty is one of the largest critiques from almost everyone.

They look a bit better than odissey tho, that game was really bad in terms of clmbat animations.
Okay, I was genuinely curious. I never really got into the series at all, but was kind of tempted by this one. But seeing the combat animations kind of put me off a bit, lol. The scene where he breaks the neck of the enemy from behind looks like he just hugs him and there's a crunch, lol. There's no change in the animation to reflect the action of snapping the neck, so it looked odd, and that was just one part.

GymWolf

Okay, I was genuinely curious. I never really got into the series at all, but was kind of tempted by this one. But seeing the combat animations kind of put me off a bit, lol. The scene where he breaks the neck of the enemy from behind looks like he just hugs him and there's a crunch, lol. There's no change in the animation to reflect the action of snapping the neck, so it looked odd, and that was just one part.
The last ac game with good combat animations was probably unity or the london one.

Kuranghi

We wanted to show the brutality of the combat: shows a shitty finisher with buggy camera :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Boy do i love ac involuntary comedy gold at times.

Near the beginning as well with the viewpoint spinning camera bit:

"Look at this awesome vista! Its locked 60fps! Pure smoothness, bébé"

*birds at top of screen look like stop motion at 30 fps* :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They are indeed the kings of unintentional comedy/failure.

Boneyblaff

Took me from a "maybe" to a "probably". Haven't played an assassin's creed since Origins list me after the first 3 hours. I'll definitely give this a shot as the setting is very interesting to me!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Providing there is no grinding required and you can mainline the story, I’m in.

int he last two games you didnt have to grind. but you could if you wanted to. There just side quest you cannot do until a certain lvl. just because you found it doesnt mean you have to do it right then.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wonder why every video of this damn game looks to be completely different graphical fidelity. And they came in also same time too. It's weird.

Boneyblaff

So I watched the video after reading this, and yeah, it lacked the visual feedback you would expect there to be when someone had their neck broken.

Yeah you need to let it go really. This is what AC is now, and has been since they rebooted the game with Origins. Open world Witcher style RPG's, and they are all the better for it.
I like the new direction - I just think the assassins creed branding hurts it. It looks far deeper and more varied than those games but the assassins creed title just frames it as being part of this franchise that doesn’t appeal to me.

Stuart360

I like the new direction - I just think the assassins creed branding hurts it. It looks far deeper and more varied than those games but the assassins creed title just frames it as being part of this franchise that doesn’t appeal to me.
AC is the biggest selling Ubisoft franchise. Losing the AC title would probably hurt sales more, id this was just 'Viking Warrior' or some generic title.

MadAnon

So what this game has to do with Assassins? All I see is generic RPG with Viking theme just like Odyssay was generic RPG set in ancient Greece.

AC is the biggest selling Ubisoft franchise. Losing the AC title would probably hurt sales more, id this was just 'Viking Warrior' or some generic title.
I think they definitely could build a new brand that people would buy into - plenty have been turned off AC due to past games. Once you’re a part of a franchise like that you can never expect customers to fully divorce their opinions of past titles In the series.

Stuart360

I think they definitely could build a new brand that people would buy into - plenty have been turned off AC due to past games. Once you’re a part of a franchise like that you can never expect customers to fully divorce their opinions of past titles In the series.
Well to be fair, they still do have a lot of the AC mechanics, its more story that has changed, with not as much enthasis on the whole Assassins vs Templars angle. Then again we went way back in time again with the Origins reboot, so the whole assassins vs Templars may still be coming.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

erect-gif.542986

I'm glad that social stealth is back, but the odins sight wallhack is way too OP. More so than what you could do with marking targets in the previous 2 games with eagles because you can even see what direction they're facing in this game.

Valentino

Oh your all a little bit more happier with it now? You couldn't help but slag the franchise's receptiveness and bloated nature off all year. Even when they clearly showed 'WORK IN PROGRESS' footage - it was still criticised how bad it looked lol But now it looks splendid, like all the games end up looking, and then you buy it. Then you enjoy it. Then you actually realise how bloated it is. But then you try to decipher if you actually like it or not. Turns out you liked aspects of it. But it's not an assassins creed game. Then the next year roles around. New game is teased. The locations sounds so intriguing! Can't wait for the cinematic trailer to drop. Hang on? This isn't Assassins Creed! Lol this franchise is a joke! omg this is NOT next gen. Oh the games out next week, let's look at this launch trailer.......woahhhhh not gonna lie.... it does look good, but I'M going to get it when it's discounted. *gets it a week or so later*

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Oh your all a little bit more happier with it now? You couldn't help but slag the franchise's receptiveness and bloated nature off all year. Even when they clearly showed 'WORK IN PROGRESS' footage - it was still criticised how bad it looked lol But now it looks splendid, like all the games end up looking, and then you buy it. Then you enjoy it. Then you actually realise how bloated it is. But then you try to decipher if you actually like it or not. Turns out you liked aspects of it. But it's not an assassins creed game. Then the next year roles around. New game is teased. The locations sounds so intriguing! Can't wait for the cinematic trailer to drop. Hang on? This isn't Assassins Creed! Lol this franchise is a joke! omg this is NOT next gen. Oh the games out next week, let's look at this launch trailer.......woahhhhh not gonna lie.... it does look good, but I'M going to get it when it's discounted. *gets it a week or so later*
Settle down chief.

jaysius

Banned
It's always fucking HILARIOUS how developers talk up their boilerplate games like YOU HAVE CHOICE and THIS IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN THE LAST.

All this "Planning a wedding" mission it's just the same old shit we did in the last 3 games with a semi-fresh coat of paint running from A to B.

The biggest lulz for me recently was the Goats of Tshima where people were all "are you going to go GHOST or SAMURAI?" as if there was some kind of marked difference, people were actually burning brain cells to answer it, when there was NONE what so ever.

Last edited:
I wonder if the map is the same size as odyssey or smaller?
I read it was smaller but more to do in it?

it is kind of "both". The landmass of Britain is a bit bigger than Origins. The north Sea well, its the north sea and not the mediterrenean sea and your ship isn´for Sea Battles. But then there will be Norway, which seems to be "hidden in plain sight" in the gameplay previews in the hidden ones bureau. Then there will be a portion of Vinland/North America where nothing i known so far as well as two mythological realms with Asgard an Jotunheim. So while there might not be the one big open world like in Odyssey there will be a couple of "maps" which together might be even biggen then odyssey by sheer numbers. I think it won´t be too small and there might be just well enough to do in.

So what this game has to do with Assassins? All I see is generic RPG with Viking theme just like Odyssay was generic RPG set in ancient Greece.

Odyssey was more about the Universe and Lore than it was about Assassin´s and Templars, Origins was about the "formal foundation" of the Brotherhood and this will be as close as we got so far to the point where Assassins and Templar come to be in history. Since the overall Plot of the Franchise always has been about Assassins vs. Templars the point where they had to work around the historic reality (both groups are from the 12th century) eventually would come. But since the conflict as told in Lore basically dates back to Cain and Abel, thus way before the 12th Century, they "rebranded" both groups as Hidden Ones and Order of the Ancients for the times before 1090 (they time the assassins were "founded" as such in Alamut according to the lore) and 1119 (when the Templars were "founded" as Templars).

But Valhalla already has shown that those Aspects will be much stronger present in game compared to odyssey, where you had some aspects of the first dlc going that direction.

Laptop1991

I'm looking forward to playing the game, not much new apart from the setting which i like and it's similar to Odyssey and Origin's but that's fine by me, i enjoyed both of those games, and i put hundred's of hours into each game, it's pre loaded ready to go on the 10th,i can't wait.

Top Bottom