• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla’s director Eric Baptizat confirms he’s helming the Dead Space remake

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Eric Baptizat joined EA’s Motive Studio earlier this year to work on an unannounced project. However, the Ubisoft veteran has now confirmed on social media that he’s acting as the game director for the newly-announced Dead Space remake.

Baptizat had worked at Ubisoft for 16 years, most notably as the director of Valhalla, and the lead designer for other Assassin’s Creed entries including Origins, and Black Flag.

Aion002

That's scary... But...

barack obama hope GIF by Obama

kiphalfton

Watch Dead Space remake shoehorn in leveling, forcing you to grind in order to actually be able to kill anything with the plasma cutter/etc. and rendering the stomp/melee attacks [to dismember enemies] useless unless leveled up to the max.

Last edited:

nomis

at least working in frostbite his game will hopefully have sound files with higher than 32kbps quality

SinDelta

Assassins Creed Valhalla director is not so bad if a bit of a leap across genres.
  • Jo Berry, writer (Mass Effect Andromeda)
This is on the other hand is. "Improving" the story, and incorporating lore and elements from 2 and 3 has now taken on new meaning.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Its a complete different company, so probably -and hopefully- DS has nothing to do with Valhalla, the most boring game I played thing gen so far.

Last edited:

matty3092

Black Flag and Origins for me are 2 of the best AC games in the series so fingers crossed he does a good job (haven't played Valhalla yet)

Valt7786

Why people think that just 'cause he worked on 1 game type for a while at a different company he's gonna come over and make Dead Space Valhalla I'll never know. OF COURSE he's not going to do that.

CitizenZ

Banned
Good, I thought maybe they would go with someone who actually had a new idea or vision.

Bored GIF

Last edited:

Fbh

To be fair, big Ubisoft games feel so factory made I seriously wonder how much of an influence their directors have.

It's like being a branch manager at McDonald's. You can influence some stuff, but at the end of the day you are still serving the same Big Mac.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They're completely different genres and I have no reason to believe this person is bad at their job, so hope levels remain unchanged. Wish them the best, I'm hoping for an excellent remake.

SJRB

Gold Member
To be fair, big Ubisoft games feel so factory made I seriously wonder how much of an influence their directors have.

It's like being a branch manager at McDonald's. You can influence some stuff, but at the end of the day you are still serving the same Big Mac.

Except every Assassin's Creed game is so fundamentally different from its predecessors that at this point nobody even knows what an "Assassin's Creed" game is supposed to be.

HotPocket69

Banned
I wonder if they're going to add the real money transactions for crafting stuff like they did in DS3.

There’s been several articles stating the game will not have them

Etc

Last edited:

zeorhymer

There’s been several articles stating the game will not have them

Etc
That's one relief.

It sounds like they're putting in god mode, no gore, no crawlies, or other "accessibility options" to attract folks to the game. The cynic in me interprets this as dumbing down the game so more people buy.

"The team is also keeping in mind the potential for the remake to open a whole new generation of fans to the original Dead Space, but they’re also using the remake as an opportunity to widen the player base via accessibility options not previously present." -- IGN

retsof624

I wonder how much talent Ubisoft has that is held back by the higher ups wanting the games to be a certain way

Assassins Creed Valhalla director is not so bad if a bit of a leap across genres.

This is on the other hand is. "Improving" the story, and incorporating lore and elements from 2 and 3 has now taken on new meaning.
Ambiguous first name, check.
Cartoon avatar on Twitter, check.
Pronouns on Twitter, check.

Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

HotPocket69

Banned
Frankly I’m ecstatic that Jo Berry, the writer of Mass Effect Andromeda, will be behind the pen on this one as well.

Top Bottom