• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Rift is reportedly set in Baghdad

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

That’s according to Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier, who was responding to a claim made earlier on Wednesday that the next series entry has an Aztec setting.

“The next AC game is Rift, which is set in Baghdad,” he wrote.

“After that will be AC Infinity, and while that’s going to include a bunch of different games/experiences/biomes/whatever you want to call them, I’ve heard about the main two and neither of them are Aztec.”

While not officially announced, it’s been claimed that Ubisoft is planning to release a smaller-scale, stealth-focused Assassin’s Creed game this year or in 2023.

Codenamed Rift and starring Assassin’s Creed Valhalla character Basim, the title was originally planned as an expansion for the most recent series entry before being spun into a standalone game last year, Bloomberg reported in February.

It said Rift would be released before the officially announced Assassin’s Creed Infinity, which is a collaboration between Ubisoft Quebec (Odyssey) and Ubisoft Montreal (Origins and Valhalla).

Following Bloomberg’s report, Eurogamer claimed to have heard of early plans for the game to include the city of Baghdad.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
"designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs."

*The game*
team-america-freaking-out.gif

Last edited:

Inviusx

Rift: a crossgen title built using the same tech as Valhalla
Inifity: next gen only title, dubbed the future of Assassins creed.

That's my prediction anyway, like a Rogue/Unity situation but probably not launching the same day like those two did 🤣

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Ah the classic battle of the "insiders" where nobody actually knows anything but they battle to discredit one another.

Just wait till the mega boss Jeff Greasy Grubb gets hes pissy butt hole involved in this battle.

Star-Lord

Yes. More Medieval Eastern Europe please. And no magic or dragons or other bullshit. Keep it grounded.
I stopped playing after Black Flag, which I consider the pinnacle of the entire series. Everything after that just looked and sounded like a steaming pile of trash. If Ubisoft took it back to the basics - historical fiction, based on fact - then I'd consider jumping back in. Until then, no chance.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I stopped playing after Black Flag, which I consider the pinnacle of the entire series. Everything after that just looked and sounded like a steaming pile of trash. If Ubisoft took it back to the basics - historical fiction, based on fact - then I'd consider jumping back in. Until then, no chance.

With the assassins creed series being part of PlayStation Extra I managed to play vahalla without breaking my oath of "never buying an ubisoft game".

One thing I really wish they would do is stop taking these very fringe historical theories where a Historian will say something like "its not impossible just highly improbable" and then use that to justify a fully black Viking with dreadlocks and a Chinese merchant who yells "I TAKE YOUR ORDER, WHAT YOU WANT?" in broken English during the Viking invasions of Britain...

Worse still they then take this revisionist history and sell it to schools with the "discovery tours".

But you know what... I wouldent mind diversity if it was explained in context of the game world. What I mean is they use the Animus in these titles that reads genetic memories and then "fills in the gaps" using data to create these simulations you play through. Rather than trying to force fringe crackpot theories like the "Black Egypt" they could just say that the animus simulates and creates people based on the limited genetic memories but fills in most the blanks with the current animus users memories creating a world where they feel the most comfortable in.

This would mean that a modern multi cultural protagonist would have multiple ethnicities in their simulation because its their own memories filling in the blanks, they could force the simulation to only produce historically accurate results but that would cause additional stress on the user which they want to avoid...

BOOM now everyone's happy, you have a valid Sci fi bullshit reason why there's a super multicultural mix of races settled down in a war town country with funny accents without them all killing each other...

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Don't hold your breath. Ubisoft hate those countries. I think there was a note more or less saying that in AC Origins or something.
Don't just throw that out there without evidence. As it's in a game, you should be able to produce it.

Anyway, Japanese assassins have been done far too much anyway. Not to mention in reality they were pretty insignificant.

Fredrik

What year are we talking about? What are the two sides? I tried to google and found some interesting things, like mongol invasions and brit invasions.

SteadyEvo

Same game, fresh coat of paint 🎨

Tired of developers milking franchises dry. Where’s Splinter Cell? Ubisoft used to be better than this

SkylineRKR

Baghdad is a good setting. Babylon and Mesopotamia is like one of the first civilizations. And Baghdad was crucial during the Islamic golden age.

Fredrik

It's probably a prequel to Valhalla so around the 850s give or take
Googled a bit, found this text about the city of peace, the round city, madinat-as-salam (built 762)

It’s like Oblivion’s Citadel

FlVPY49.jpg

Awesome! 👍

H . R . 2

Ubisoft has been loath to choose the Persian Empire due to the inclusion [and the inaccurate depiction ] of it in PoP
current Persia AKA Iran would make for a game with some great stories and an extremely unique setting. if true, this new game would be too similar to Origins

anyway, Ubisoft lost me as a fan with Origins onwards

Last edited:
Top Bottom