• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok to be a Cross-Gen Title; Massive Map, Co-Op, Stealth, Combat, Parkour Detailed – Rumor

Chromata

If this is another empty or bloated open world grind fest then no thanks.

Some of the changes sound interesting, but the devs need to respect the player's time too. Really don't like this trend and all the live service games.

This isn't me knocking long and high quality RPGs, by the way. The Witcher 3 was fantastic, had unique areas and unique quests.

EDMIX

Some of the changes sound interesting, but the devs need to respect the player's time too. Really don't like this trend and all the live service games.

This isn't me knocking long and high quality RPGs, by the way. The Witcher 3 was fantastic, had unique areas and unique quests.

? Relax, they just said co-op, I see no reason to assume this turned into some MMO, isn't Cyberpunk 2077 having a online mode? You not buying that now too or?

They respect the players time by adding in a lot of content, Origins and Odyssey are long titles, of high quality that have unique areas and quest.

Valonquar Valonquar I see no evidence to remotely suggest that is what they are doing. To even do a MMO, it couldn't simply be some tacked on feature.... All this sounds like is co-op, if we are seriously going to argue having co-op is now a feature created by Destiny and ONLY points to Destiny features, that argument now applys to Cyberpunk 2077, Breath Of The Wild 2 etc

Its a ridiculous argument.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Both Odyssey and Origins dwarf Witcher 3’s map size. I actually thought they were way too big of a game... filled to the brim with trash side quests and worthless question marked locations to stumble across for nothing valuable to the game.

I'll take your word for it (I bounced off the Ubi game after AC Unity tbh). Given what you said though it doesn't sound like their patented design by committee approach does much in the way of generating a deep meaningful experience versus just beige everything to the consistency of Blancmange. It will fill up your time sure, but you'll have no lasting memory of what happened down the road.

Chromata

? Relax, they just said co-op, I see no reason to assume this turned into some MMO, isn't Cyberpunk 2077 having a online mode? You not buying that now too or?

They respect the players time by adding in a lot of content, Origins and Odyssey are long titles, of high quality that have unique areas and quest.

Valonquar Valonquar I see no evidence to remotely suggest that is what they are doing. To even do a MMO, it couldn't simply be some tacked on feature.... All this sounds like is co-op, if we are seriously going to argue having co-op is now a feature created by Destiny and ONLY points to Destiny features, that argument now applys to Cyberpunk 2077, Breath Of The Wild 2 etc

Its a ridiculous argument.

I am relaxed, I don't have a problem with co op. By live service I wasn't talking about Assassin's Creed at all, just the trend of more live service games in general. Both of them involve a focus on quantity not quality.

Adding in a lot of high quality and unique content is respecting the players time. Stuffing the map with markers and busywork is not.

Odyssey and Origins were not bad games by any means, but they are held back by being bloated and relying on grinding.

EDMIX

I'll take your word for it (I bounced off the Ubi game after AC Unity tbh). Given what you said though it doesn't sound like their patented design by committee approach does much in the way of generating a deep meaningful experience versus just beige everything to the consistency of Blancmange. It will fill up your time sure, but you'll have no lasting memory of what happened down the road.

As someone that played both Witcher series and Origins and just started Odyssey, play the games yourself. Origins and Odyssey are noting like Unity. That would be like saying you played Witcher 1 thus know what Witcher 3 is..... Sir....you don't.

Play it yourself to get a understanding cause I put off playing Origins for years and finally got it used for like $9 bucks and was amazed on how well they crafted this new take on the series. The story in Origins imho is better then the Story in Witcher 3 where its a massive run around. Folks can talk about questionable quest in Origins, did you guys also say the same about killing rats in Witcher 3 as a quest? How about finding Dandelion's girlfriends? A fetch quest regarding a frying pan? Those ring any bells? Soooooo before folks want to run around pretending Witcher 3 is some how the Citizen's Kane of RPGS or something, we need to come back to reality and realize even the game folks are using as this example, has many, many bad quest to then be telling folks to avoid other titles as if those same bad quest don't exist in Witcher series.

As someone that played both....BOTH have their ups and downs, but please don't make a choice on not playing based on someone else saying a few bad things. I regret even listening to folks when Origins came out as when I finally played it, I liked it just as much as I liked Witcher 3 and felt the story was better even. Play it yourself to see as many tend to exaggerate stuff like this. Those games have as much trash quest as Witcher 3 has tbh.

Its worth a used pick up if you like open world RPGs.

junguler

Banned
do we know if ashraf ismail is involved in this project? it's the only way i would get hyped about this game before seeing gameplay.

Chromata

As someone that played both Witcher series and Origins and just started Odyssey, play the games yourself. Origins and Odyssey are noting like Unity. That would be like saying you played Witcher 1 thus know what Witcher 3 is..... Sir....you don't.

Play it yourself to get a understanding cause I put off playing Origins for years and finally got it used for like $9 bucks and was amazed on how well they crafted this new take on the series. The story in Origins imho is better then the Story in Witcher 3 where its a massive run around. Folks can talk about questionable quest in Origins, did you guys also say the same about killing rats in Witcher 3 as a quest? How about finding Dandelion's girlfriends? A fetch quest regarding a frying pan? Those ring any bells? Soooooo before folks want to run around pretending Witcher 3 is some how the Citizen's Kane of RPGS or something, we need to come back to reality and realize even the game folks are using as this example, has many, many bad quest to then be telling folks to avoid other titles as if those same bad quest don't exist in Witcher series.

As someone that played both....BOTH have their ups and downs, but please don't make a choice on not playing based on someone else saying a few bad things. I regret even listening to folks when Origins came out as when I finally played it, I liked it just as much as I liked Witcher 3 and felt the story was better even. Play it yourself to see as many tend to exaggerate stuff like this. Those games have as much trash quest as Witcher 3 has tbh.

Its worth a used pick up if you like open world RPGs.

All of the witcher quests you mentioned are unique and well written. The pan and dandelion quests were hilarious. Quests had twists and an interesting depth to them uncommon in other games.

I'm glad you enjoyed Origins, I did too, but let's not pretend the quests are on the same level as The Witcher. I'm confused how you're using those quests as examples of bad ones because they're exactly the examples used in other places as great ones (plenty of memes about them too).

Kadayi

Banned

I have zero interest in AC games these days. I dare say the more recent games may be great, but if I was genuinely interested in playing them, I'd own them already . I have enough actual RPG titles in my gaming backlog already to bother taking on more, let alone ones that don't even make my dick hard at launch.

Still, the positives of AC wasn't even the topic, merely a digression. The original point was scepticism about the leak that AC: Ragnarok would be modelling most of Dark Ages Northern Europe in all it's pagan glory.

Last edited:

EDMIX

All of the witcher quests you mentioned are unique and well written. The pan and dandelion quests were hilarious. Quests had twists and an interesting depth to them uncommon in other games.

I'm glad you enjoyed Origins, I did too, but let's not pretend the quests are on the same level as The Witcher. I'm confused how you're using those quests as examples of bad ones because they're exactly the examples used in other places as great ones (plenty of memes about them too).

Just stop bud. The main story to Witcher 3 was just this massive run around of "now that you did this, I'll tell you where I last saw your buddy" rinse and repeat. Those dumb fetch quest are so dull and boring its not even funny. With a universe with magic, monsters etc, please don't try to argue that finding a damn frying pan and running around looking for NPCs to give you fetch quest to lead to another fetch quest was some amazing achievement or something. One of the rare times I legit played a game and said out loud "What the fuck is this?" I had to SERIOUSLY question on such stupid quest existed in the game, clearing out rats? That is this deep "well written" experience? Maybe we need to simply agree that not all damn RPGs have 100% ROCK SOLID well written quest.

If they give you Witcher 3 and you can go back in time, and you are writing the game......are you leaving in a quest finding a frying pan, clearing out rats, finding a series of girl friends that leads to more fetch quest?

So twist in a quest is not uncommon even remotely. Any Elder Scrolls or Fallout title can very much establish that isn't as uncommon as you think, heck many twist exist in Origins and Odyssey quest. So the quest in Origins are just as good as Witcher 3 and just as bad as Witcher 3.

Chromata

Ehhh...Witcher 3 had its fair share of "peasant has problem, Batman vision tracks, fight enemy" quests. Let's not pretend they were all (or even the majority) like the The Bloody Baron. It's the good ones that you remember, it's all the generic kill monster ones you forget.

It did, a lot of those were contract quests which followed a similar pattern. The reason why I still liked them is because they weren't all uniform. For example (spoilers here for anyone who hasn't played the witcher) there was one with the werewolf (where your decision could even change the outcome of the quest), there was another with the ghost in the well (where you investigated the village and got to read interesting bits of info, ultimately telling a pretty tragic story), and another where you meet an old witcher. That's not even mentioning the memorable and really weird ones like the accounting one and the pigs.

Of course not all of them had these twists, some of them are straight forward, but a large amount of the quests had something interesting. If all of them had some twist then it would be predictable. Other games don't even try in this regard and just throw in a sea of fetch quests with some interesting ones here and there.

I agree with you that the majority were not like Bloody Baron, that was exceptional. I disagree that the majority did not have something interesting factored in intentionally. If you read the book Blood Sweat & Pixels which documented the development of The Witcher 3, this was actually intentional. They started making unique quests early on and had strict criteria in what would pass for the final game, they ended up cutting around half the quests they made just to make sure there was no/little useless bloat.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I have zero interest in AC games these days. I dare say the more recent games may be great, but if I was genuinely interested in playing them, I'd own them already . I have enough actual RPG titles in my gaming backlog already to bother taking on more, let alone ones that don't even make my dick hard at launch.

Still, the positives of AC wasn't even the topic, merely a digression. The original point was scepticism about the leak that AC: Ragnarok would be modelling most of Dark Ages Northern Europe in all it's pagan glory.

I had no interest in the series either and didn't buy Origins at launch. I saw a few reviews and some users changed my mind as for $9 bucks it couldn't hurt. I stopped having that all or nothing mind set a long time ago with games as you don't know what you don't know and I'm more open to trying something used if its like other titles that I normally play.

Its worth a once over if you can find it for under $10. I actually would have gladly bought both Origins and Odyssey at launch if I knew they were as solid and as good as they are.

I played and enjoyed Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I didn't finish it as it became a slog after a while but for about 25-30 hours I did enjoy it.

And it sounds like I'll enjoy this one as much if not more. Love the viking theme, and yeah like others have already said I'll mod out weapon durability and play like that.

Also like others have already said, I would prefer if the game was a bit smaller and more focused. But I'm already interested and unless they fuck it up, I'm in!

Chromata

Just stop bud. The main story to Witcher 3 was just this massive run around of "now that you did this, I'll tell you where I last saw your buddy" rinse and repeat. Those dumb fetch quest are so dull and boring its not even funny. With a universe with magic, monsters etc, please don't try to argue that finding a damn frying pan and running around looking for NPCs to give you fetch quest to lead to another fetch quest was some amazing achievement or something. One of the rare times I legit played a game and said out loud "What the fuck is this?" I had to SERIOUSLY question on such stupid quest existed in the game, clearing out rats? That is this deep "well written" experience? Maybe we need to simply agree that not all damn RPGs have 100% ROCK SOLID well written quest.

If they give you Witcher 3 and you can go back in time, and you are writing the game......are you leaving in a quest finding a frying pan, clearing out rats, finding a series of girl friends that leads to more fetch quest?

So twist in a quest is not uncommon even remotely. Any Elder Scrolls or Fallout title can very much establish that isn't as uncommon as you think, heck many twist exist in Origins and Odyssey quest. So the quest in Origins are just as good as Witcher 3 and just as bad as Witcher 3.

I feel like we played completely different games here. The main story of The Witcher 3 involved family (Ciri and Yennefer), rebellion (the whole ordeal with mages), romance (going to noble gatherings with Yennefer/Triss and their personal quests), political conflict (the whole Skellige heir story), and more.

There was plenty of magic and monsters in the game. Hell, there was an entire section of Blood and Wine dedicated to being a fully fleshed out fantasy world straight out of Disney (but of course with a dark twist). The reason why the pan quest and even the sheep quest were loved is because they are so stupid they're funny. You're not supposed to take it seriously, it's comedy lol.

If I was the writer of the witcher 3 I'd definitely leave those in, they made me laugh. I've played every Elder Scrolls title since Morrowind and some Fallout games. They had their share of good quests (like the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion), but the majority was straight forward busywork. There's a reason why The Witcher 3 has the reputation it does and it's not because of a fluke.

From the rat quest, are you talking about the one with Triss where you're in the sewers? Because the point of that quest is to illustrate the kind of shitty work she's doing in the city while she's in refuge because they're hunting down mages. If you remember back, in that same questline, you get double crossed by the person who gave you the rat job and you need to kill the people who ambush you. The point of that is to show how shitty life is there for mages and that Triss can't trust anybody (except for Geralt).

EDIT: And let's not forget the other Witcher 3 quests like the one where you have to talk to a troll convincing peasants that he's a God, or the one with the "yo mamma" disses where you need to outburn the guy lol.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

It did, a lot of those were contract quests which followed a similar pattern. The reason why I still liked them is because they weren't all uniform. For example (spoilers here for anyone who hasn't played the witcher) there was one with the werewolf (where your decision could even change the outcome of the quest), there was another with the ghost in the well (where you investigated the village and got to read interesting bits of info, ultimately telling a pretty tragic story), and another where you meet an old witcher. That's not even mentioning the memorable and really weird ones like the accounting one and the pigs.

Of course not all of them had these twists, some of them are straight forward, but a large amount of the quests had something interesting. If all of them had some twist then it would be predictable. Other games don't even try in this regard and just throw in a sea of fetch quests with some interesting ones here and there.

I agree with you that the majority were not like Bloody Baron, that was exceptional. I disagree that the majority did not have something interesting factored in intentionally. If you read the book Blood Sweat & Pixels which documented the development of The Witcher 3, this was actually intentional. They started making unique quests early on and had strict criteria in what would pass for the final game, they ended up cutting around half the quests they made just to make sure there was no/little useless bloat.

But there was quite a bit in the end, regardless. The examples you named are pretty standard fare: AC games do all that too. Disguise a generic kill quest as something else by adding a bit of lore or piece of a story in note form. Oh look, a branching dialogue path that alters the ending of the quest. Hey, you get to meet someone famous in this quest. This one has you reliving ancient mythology...but with a Twist(tm). That one has you chasing goats up a mountain because one of them ate a fake eye that belonged to a gangster who tried to strongarm you out of your villa. A completely different quest has you finding your estranged father and coming to grips with why it didn't work out with your mom.

You should give AC: Odyssey a try.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I had no interest in the series either and didn't buy Origins at launch. I saw a few reviews and some users changed my mind as for $9 bucks it couldn't hurt. I stopped having that all or nothing mind set a long time ago with games as you don't know what you don't know and I'm more open to trying something used if its like other titles that I normally play.

Its worth a once over if you can find it for under $10. I actually would have gladly bought both Origins and Odyssey at launch if I knew they were as solid and as good as they are.

Money isn't the issue. Time is the issue. There are simply not enough free hours in my life to play all the games out there. A few years back I was listening to Derek Sivers on Tim Ferriss and he outlined his 'Hell Yeah or No' rule, that I've found super useful: -

Unless a game genuinely gets my dick baby fist hard at the prospect of playing it, these days it's a pass, especially anything AAA as they are generally massive time vampires (small indies I'm a little more lenient with). Only major games I'm interested in this year are Cyberpunk2077 (which I pre-ordered), Death Stranding when it hits Steam, Outer worlds when it hits steam and Crusader Kings 3. As is I'm balls deep in RDR2 atm (which will probably keep me busy through February as well) plus I have a whole bunch of smaller games to tackle as I'm in the GAF 52 games challenge.

I get it that you love the latest AC games, but I just don't have space for them in my life, and the reveals didn't do it for me personally.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Money isn't the issue. Time is the issue. There are simply not enough free hours in my life to play all the games out there. A few years back I was listening to Derek Sivers on Tim Ferriss and he outlined his 'Hell Yeah or No' rule, that I've found super useful: -

Unless a game genuinely gets my dick baby fist hard at the prospect of playing it, these days it's a pass, especially anything AAA as they are generally massive time vampires (small indies I'm a little more lenient with). Only major games I'm interested in this year are Cyberpunk2077 (which I pre-ordered), Death Stranding when it hits Steam, Outer worlds when it hits steam and Crusader Kings 3. As is I'm balls deep in RDR2 atm (which will probably keep me busy through February as well) plus I have a whole bunch of smaller games to tackle as I'm in the GAF 52 games challenge.

I get it that you love the latest AC games, but I just don't have space for them in my life, and the reveals didn't do it for me personally.

That sounds like a you issue.... Many of us make time to game.

I don't love the new AC games, I like em just as much as I like Witcher series tbh. If you get the time, its a pretty fun 40 to 50 hours.

Chromata

But there was quite a bit in the end, regardless. The examples you named are pretty standard fare: AC games do all that too. Disguise a generic kill quest as something else by adding a bit of lore or piece of a story in note form. Oh look, a branching dialogue path that alters the ending of the quest. Hey, you get to meet someone famous in this quest. This one has you reliving ancient mythology...but with a Twist(tm). That one has you chasing goats up a mountain because one of them ate a fake eye that belonged to a gangster who tried to strongarm you out of your villa. A completely different quest has you finding your estranged father and coming to grips with why it didn't work out with your mom.

You should give AC: Odyssey a try.

I played (but did not complete) Odyssey. I don't know how many hours, but I played it a good bit. I know it has unique quests, I'm not saying it doesn't. It's just that, to my taste, they are too far apart between quests that aren't unique. I stopped playing Odyssey because it became too repetitive/grindy.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm just bashing Assassin's Creed because I'm not. I actually like the direction they're going in (open world RPG with fantasy elements), but this obsession with bigger and bigger map sizes is something I do not like.

As Kadayi Kadayi mentioned, I just don't have the time anymore to invest in a game that asks so much of my attention. I'll need to invest many hours just to see the end of the game and the payoff of the character development and story arcs. That doesn't mean I don't want to play them, I still love that genre, but it can be hard to prioritize a gaming session where I'll just be grinding out a few missions.

EDMIX

I feel like we played completely different games here. The main story of The Witcher 3 involved family (Ciri and Yennefer), rebellion (the whole ordeal with mages), romance (going to noble gatherings with Yennefer/Triss and their personal quests), political conflict (the whole Skellige heir story), and more.

There was plenty of magic and monsters in the game. Hell, there was an entire section of Blood and Wine dedicated to being a fully fleshed out fantasy world straight out of Disney (but of course with a dark twist). The reason why the pan quest and even the sheep quest were loved is because they are so stupid they're funny. You're not supposed to take it seriously, it's comedy lol.

If I was the writer of the witcher 3 I'd definitely leave those in, they made me laugh. I've played every Elder Scrolls title since Morrowind and some Fallout games. They had their share of good quests (like the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion), but the majority was straight forward busywork. There's a reason why The Witcher 3 has the reputation it does and it's not because of a fluke.

From the rat quest, are you talking about the one with Triss where you're in the sewers? Because the point of that quest is to illustrate the kind of shitty work she's doing in the city while she's in refuge because they're hunting down mages. If you remember back, in that same questline, you get double crossed by the person who gave you the rat job and you need to kill the people who ambush you. The point of that is to show how shitty life is there for mages and that Triss can't trust anybody (except for Geralt).

EDIT: And let's not forget the other Witcher 3 quests like the one where you have to talk to a troll convincing peasants that he's a God, or the one with the "yo mamma" disses where you need to outburn the guy lol.

Like many stated, the twist in quest you are talking about is not uncommon. Many of those same things happen in Origins and Odyssey.

"From the rat quest, are you talking about the one with Triss where you're in the sewers? Because the point of that quest is to illustrate the kind of shitty work she's doing in the city while she's in refuge because they're hunting down mages." My god buddy, just stop.... You cleared out rats in a sewer......

That would be like if someone told me they played a bad quest in Origin where cleared out snakes in a tomb and I'm like "From the snakes tomb quest, are you talking about the one with Bayek's wife where you're in the tombs? Because the point of that quest is to illustrate the kind of shitty work she's doing in the city while she's in refuge because they're hunting down Medjay"

Sir....telling me WHY its happening doesn't change that the quest sucks, telling me the lore behind some reason its happening doesn't explain why the quest sucks.... its simply making a excuse for a bad quest. and I'm someone that actually likes the series, but I like it enough not to want to see that crap in the future of the series. It wasn't fun, it was filler and felt like complete bloat.

Stop making excuses for those bad quest.

There is no DEEP MEANING behind a fetch quest with a frying pan.

If someone can play that and they have no issue with it, they have no place arguing about AC Origins, Odyssey etc. They are in the same boat in that respect.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
That sounds like a you issue.... Many of us make time to game.

LOL. You're guilting me for not playing enough? I'm a working professional doing a demanding job. If I'm lucky after a long day of staring intently at a screen, I might manage a couple of hours of free time to myself wherein I get to pick my poison as to what to put them into (Games, TV, Film, Personal Projects or Reading). Overall general energy level is a crucial factor in that regard. I learnt a long time ago not to game when mentally exhausted.

I don't love the new AC games, I like em just as much as I like Witcher series tbh. If you get the time, its a pretty fun 40 to 50 hours.

You're trying to sell me Meth when I'm all about that Cocaine dude.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Wait.

Kiev??

From Paris to Kiev there are what, 4-5 countries between those cities?

No way this is realistically possible with quality.... right?
Depends if u ask now or 1000 years ago. Now it's Germany and Poland. Plus, for a long time the whole current Ukraine was under Polish influence.

I assume the time period would be VIII or IX century.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier

Witcher 3 is fantastic and beyond that .. i can accept the massive map for a witcher game other than that is useless for any other game

Chromata

Like many stated, the twist in quest you are talking about is not uncommon. Many of those same things happen in Origins and Odyssey.

"From the rat quest, are you talking about the one with Triss where you're in the sewers? Because the point of that quest is to illustrate the kind of shitty work she's doing in the city while she's in refuge because they're hunting down mages." My god buddy, just stop.... You cleared out rats in a sewer......

That would be like if someone told me they played a bad quest in Origin where cleared out snakes in a tomb and I'm like "From the snakes tomb quest, are you talking about the one with Bayek's wife where you're in the tombs? Because the point of that quest is to illustrate the kind of shitty work she's doing in the city while she's in refuge because they're hunting down Medjay"

Sir....telling me WHY its happening doesn't change that the quest sucks, telling me the lore behind some reason its happening doesn't explain why the quest sucks.... its simply making a excuse for a bad quest. and I'm someone that actually likes the series, but I like it enough not to want to see that crap in the future of the series. It wasn't fun, it was filler and felt like complete bloat.

Stop making excuses for those bad quest.

There is no DEEP MEANING behind a fetch quest with a frying pan.

If someone can play that and they have no issue with it, they have no place arguing about AC Origins, Odyssey etc. They are in the same boat in that respect.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Why are you getting so emotional about this?

I showed you how that quest wasn't just about clearing rats like you claimed, there was more to it and had a twist in the quest too. You're acting like the quest doesn't involve dialogue options where all of this is happening and like you aren't also fighting the people who double cross you. This is all part of the quest, you just happen to cut out everything except for one part of it for some reason. It even ties into the larger narrative too, I don't see how that can possibly be called bloat.

The same goes for the frying pan quest. I didn't say it had a deep meaning, I said it was hilarious.

Take a minute to cool off, dude.

Let's see if stabbing someone in the neck actually assassinates them this time in a fucking ASSASSIN'S CREED game or they'll shrug it off because their level is higher than yours.

Last edited:

EDMIX

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Why are you getting so emotional about this?

I showed you how that quest wasn't just about clearing rats like you claimed, there was more to it and had a twist in the quest too. You're acting like the quest doesn't involve dialogue options where all of this is happening and like you aren't also fighting the people who double cross you. This is all part of the quest, you just happen to cut out everything except for one part of it for some reason. It even ties into the larger narrative too, I don't see how that can possibly be called bloat.

The same goes for the frying pan quest. I didn't say it had a deep meaning, I said it was hilarious.

Take a minute to cool off, dude.

Not really bud, simply stated it was a bad quest. All the lore around it and some back story doesn't make clearing out rats any better then clearing out a tomb of snakes simply because someone says some backstory stuff around it.

The quest wasn't fun, not amount of dumb lore and fluff can make it fun. It sounds like a huge excuse for bad quest. Could you imagine having a game where they made you cut grass as a mission or clear out a barn of chickens and someone made some excuse that it wasn't just about clearly out chickens "like you cLaiMeD" and then states

"From the chicken quest, are you talking about the one with O'McDonald where you're in the barn? Because the point of that quest is to illustrate the kind of shitty work she's doing in the farm while she's in refuge because they're hunting down farmers."

As if that actually makes the quest good, fun and acceptable. I'm sorry bud, its trying to paint something as fun that clearly is as bad as it comes with filler bloat quest, trying to make it seem as if its REALLY great and some masterpiece. When a fetch quest is bad, oh its "hilarious". I just don't think anyone like this has any real place trying to then argue about the quality of other RPGs with this level of excuses for such quest.

They are bad quest bud. I own all 3 games in the series and I like the series, but not enough to start lying about crap to pretend as of those quest where any good. So we know what the quest was about, thats not whats being debated.

The quest was bad filler that the game seems to have ton of missions just like.

Chromata

Not really bud, simply stated it was a bad quest. All the lore around it and some back story doesn't make clearing out rats any better then clearing out a tomb of snakes simply because someone says some backstory stuff around it.

The quest wasn't fun, not amount of dumb lore and fluff can make it fun. It sounds like a huge excuse for bad quest. Could you imagine having a game where they made you cut grass as a mission or clear out a barn of chickens and someone made some excuse that it wasn't just about clearly out chickens "like you cLaiMeD" and then states

"From the chicken quest, are you talking about the one with O'McDonald where you're in the barn? Because the point of that quest is to illustrate the kind of shitty work she's doing in the farm while she's in refuge because they're hunting down farmers."

As if that actually makes the quest good, fun and acceptable. I'm sorry bud, its trying to paint something as fun that clearly is as bad as it comes with filler bloat quest, trying to make it seem as if its REALLY great and some masterpiece. When a fetch quest is bad, oh its "hilarious". I just don't think anyone like this has any real place trying to then argue about the quality of other RPGs with this level of excuses for such quest.

They are bad quest bud. I own all 3 games in the series and I like the series, but not enough to start lying about crap to pretend as of those quest where any good. So we know what the quest was about, thats not whats being debated.

You brush off the parts not convenient to your argument, tell me I have no place to argue, then say I'm lying.

I gotta hand it to you EDMIX, you're an argumentative mastermind :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
It’s a shame that so many people feel the need to tell us how they have no interest in the series - if you’ve no interest in the series then maybe you should just move on.

Siri

Banned
Let's see if stabbing someone in the neck actually assassinates them this time in a fucking ASSASSIN'S CREED game or they'll shrug it off because their level is higher than yours.

Ubisoft turning this series into a true RPG was the single best decision they’ve made in the evolution of Assassin’s Creed. You have to ‘earn’ the right to assassinate higher level NPCs by leveling up your character. There’s no ‘win button’ here.

EDIT: I’m not sure why The Witcher has been brought up yet again, but since it has it’s worth saying that TW3 is the most overrated game in the history of gaming.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not into the co-op aspect, the durability for weapons or having more "magic/supernatural" abilities. Wish AC would stay more grounded like Origins.

Ryu Kaiba

Just because you let Ubisoft waste all your time doesn't mean you have to drag other people into the hole with you.

Lanrutcon

I played (but did not complete) Odyssey. I don't know how many hours, but I played it a good bit. I know it has unique quests, I'm not saying it doesn't. It's just that, to my taste, they are too far apart between quests that aren't unique. I stopped playing Odyssey because it became too repetitive/grindy.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm just bashing Assassin's Creed because I'm not. I actually like the direction they're going in (open world RPG with fantasy elements), but this obsession with bigger and bigger map sizes is something I do not like.

As Kadayi Kadayi mentioned, I just don't have the time anymore to invest in a game that asks so much of my attention. I'll need to invest many hours just to see the end of the game and the payoff of the character development and story arcs. That doesn't mean I don't want to play them, I still love that genre, but it can be hard to prioritize a gaming session where I'll just be grinding out a few missions.

Hey, you at least played it (respect!) which is more than most folks who bash it have done. If it's not for you, then that's totally cool.

Also: Ryu Kaiba Ryu Kaiba eats poop. It's true.

Last edited:

Puskas

The map is massive. Like all of northern Europe. My source mentioned big cities being York, London, Paris, and Kiev. Every kingdom was meant to be really unique.
Did someone fail the geography class?

DS_Joost

Ubisoft turning this series into a true RPG was the single best decision they’ve made in the evolution of Assassin’s Creed. You have to ‘earn’ the right to assassinate higher level NPCs by leveling up your character. There’s no ‘win button’ here.

EDIT: I’m not sure why The Witcher has been brought up yet again, but since it has it’s worth saying that TW3 is the most overrated game in the history of gaming.

I am actually inclined to agree. Perhaps it's only second to soulsborne games.

Kadayi

Banned
It’s a shame that so many people feel the need to tell us how they have no interest in the series - if you’ve no interest in the series then maybe you should just move on.

I'm very interested in the idea of a game set during the Viking Period, I'm less in need of it being an AC themed game though as I have deep fatigue with that particular franchise and albeit I'm not opposed to open-world games, I'm sceptical as to some of the statements in the leak, especially when it comes to the games alleged grand scale and scope, and how that would naturally translate in terms of delivering unique and engaging environments versus a lot of repetitive ones. As with anything it will be a case of wait and see. The whole leak could be BS until we get some official confirmation after all. If the setting is true and my quality over quantity concerns are allayed this could well be the title that draws me back to the Ubigame. I'm merely expressing doubt.gif

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
That one has you chasing goats up a mountain because one of them ate a fake eye that belonged to a gangster who tried to strongarm you out of your villa.

I9obpzH.png

I think for me the key things that need dropping from Odyssey are:

Assassinations: I don't mind everything not being an insta-kill. though not my preference But I didn't like the bullshit hold triangle to start critical assassination, then also have a flourishing animation where I'll pop out of cover for half an hour as well. Also drop the multipliers from the armour. It's too much.
Map: Water is not fun to traverse, just wasting time to go from one island to another. If your map is more than 30% water it's going to get tiring after hour 15 - as well as the ridiculous 'summon ship' mechanic
Bounty Hunters/Assassins: The idea is decent, but this notion that it'e emergent having a bounty hunter running exactly to your position as you're trying to also infiltrate a fort or champions house is stupid. It just feels like the wanted stars from watch dogs

Nigel

Last time I saw this leak, you apparently played a native to England and the Viking raids are an issue for you. Sounds far more interesting.

Last edited:

kaworid

Neo Member
Lol even botw got shit on for weapon durability and nintendo/zelda usually gets away with everything.
Good luck lool

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
"Massive map"s puts me off, too overwhelming. I guess there will be plenty NPCs too. So, generic shitty talk, with generic shitty quests will be waiting for us. I hope i'm wrong.

Even Witcher 3 was overwhelming to me, it had so much question marks with same encounters, and there was so much generic, beast hunt based side quests in it(unpopular opinion i know).

This trend started with Skyrim(Oblivion was more balanced-fck the gates), It is a burden for devs, and players like me. It is a blessing for people that wants at least 4 hours of gameplay for their 1 dollar.

I missed the times when we had great games like Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines which had maps smaller than my house and NPC count lower than my family.

Moriah20

still needs to run on og xboxone

I'm really curious what that'll be like if this leak about the size and scope is true.
Odyssey is already pretty miserable on the OG Xb1. Constantly sluggish framerate, low resolution and there's even loading before entering a dialogue or exiting the bird view, something that I didn't even know can happen after playing the game on PC.

Top Bottom