• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok to be a Cross-Gen Title; Massive Map, Co-Op, Stealth, Combat, Parkour Detailed – Rumor

Assassin's Creed Ragnarok, the rumored next entry in the series by Ubisoft, has yet to be revealed officially, but today some new details on the game emerged online through a leak.

According to this new leak, the new entry in the series is going to a cross-gen title, launching on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as well as on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The game is apparently getting revealed next month, and it will be released in September.
- Title of the next game is Ragnarok, codenamed Kingdom
- Will launch on Xbox One, PS4, PS5, and Xbox Series X
- Officially announced in February at the upcoming PlayStation event, release date September 29th, 2020.
Assassin's Creed Ragnarok will feature improvements to the RPG mechanics introduced in Assassin's Creed Odyssey as well as to combat, parkour, and stealth.

- Continues heavy RPG mechanics now including different classes and mild skill tree changes based on class. Player class can be changed by a specific character.
- Combat is upgraded with more weapon types and special abilities for every weapon grouping.- Each weapon can have runes added, be upgraded, and durability increased.
- Weapon durability does now come into play, forcing players to use their weapon pool more effectively and forced to manage a smaller inventory that can be upgraded
- Replacing adrenaline is a berserker mode which also activates special runes like fire, frost, or lightning damage.
- Parkour is upgraded with tree climbing and new animations
- Stealth is upgraded by having physical stealth skills such as hiding in mud, snow, crouching in bushes, hiding in bales of hay, etc.- Players can now also hide in crowds of civilians if their outfit/ armor is appropriate otherwise it can attract attention.
Co-op will also be included.

- Up to 4 player drop in drop out co-op like Ghost Recon wildlands.
Assassin's Creed Ragnarok is also going to feature a reputation system, which will make quests and missions available in certain kingdoms only once a certain level of reputation has been reached.

- Players now have a reputation system based on quests completed for people in cities, the town officials, clothing worn, crimes committed, etc. Some quests and story missions can only be completed after reaching a certain reputation with kingdoms.
Assassin's Creed Ragnarok is also going to do away with level locked regions, with a new progression system.

- Levelling is overhauled to allow players to improve skillsets to gain experience, like in Skyrim. As a result, level locking regions and content is gone.
- Some skills are unlocked by reaching a high enough skillset level, some must be bought with skill points, and others are unlocked through game/ story progression.
The Assassin's Creed Ragnarok map is also said to be massive, featuring almost all of Northern Europe as well as big cities like York, London, Paris, and Kiev. These cities make quite a lot of sense, considering the Viking setting, as Northmen and Danes raided these areas and created settlements near them.
- The map is massive. Like all of northern Europe. My source mentioned big cities being York, London, Paris, and Kiev. Every kingdom was meant to be really unique.
As today's leak comes from an anonymous source, we have to take it with a grain of salt. Leaks about the Assassin's Creed series, however, have become extremely common in the past few years, so there's a good chance that today's leak could be real, also considering how detailed it is.

Weapon durability? Oh god please no.
200.webp

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ugh, breakable weapons...? Why do this? Do you not see how fucking dumb it is? First of all you make them break after five hits, which isn’t exactly realistic, but still... If I’ve spent hours trying to get a weapon, I don’t want it to be gone 10 minutes later?

And also, fuck off with this trend of games having to be bigger and bigger. Make them small in size but more focused and detailed. Nobody wants to spend five hours on a horse to get to the next damn objective...

iorek21

Some details here really excited me, minus co-op, but I’ll wait to see what’s all about.

Now... weapon durability? If even FromSoft aren’t able to do something decent with this mechanic, you can bet Ubi won’t (only if they make something like Far Cry 2 which will likely annoy lots of people).

Last edited:

Eimran

I like breakable weapons in games like dying light. But for a game like AC I'd would be completely unnecessary and a turnoff.

cormack12

Gold Member
Weapon durability does now come into play, forcing players to use their weapon pool more effectively and forced to manage a smaller inventory that can be upgraded

Nope

Replacing adrenaline is a berserker mode which also activates special runes like fire, frost, or lightning damage.

If this replaces the stupid unlock ability for 2 points, or add 25%dmg to class based weapon then it might be interesting

oh actually,

Some skills are unlocked by reaching a high enough skillset level, some must be bought with skill points, and others are unlocked through game/ story progression.

Welp, I hate this to be honest. Spend two skill points and you can now double slice your sword instead of single slice. Or peform some whirlygig with a bit of extra damage.

Stealth is upgraded by having physical stealth skills such as hiding in mud, snow, crouching in bushes, hiding in bales of hay, etc.- Players can now also hide in crowds of civilians if their outfit/ armor is appropriate otherwise it can attract attention.

Awesome

Players now have a reputation system based on quests completed for people in cities, the town officials, clothing worn, crimes committed, etc. Some quests and story missions can only be completed after reaching a certain reputation with kingdoms.

Could be good, remains to be seen if affiliations are exclusive. Otherwise it's just filling up bars in every region. I'd prefer becoming friendly in one region makes me unable to be friendly in another

The map is massive. Like all of northern Europe. My source mentioned big cities being York, London, Paris, and Kiev. Every kingdom was meant to be really unique.

Why though?

Kadayi

Banned
The map will cover all of northern Europe.......

Sure Jan. Gif

Christ TW3 and RDR2 have big maps but they're miniscule versus what's being talked about here. The only way to deliver that sort of scale would be to bland the fuck out of your assets to the point that everywhere is nowhere.

VertigoOA

Banned
The map will cover all of northern Europe.......

Sure Jan. Gif

Christ TW3 and RDR2 have big maps but they're miniscule versus what's being talked about here. The only way to deliver that sort of scale would be to bland the fuck out of your assets to the point that everywhere is nowhere.

Both Odyssey and Origins dwarf Witcher 3’s map size. I actually thought they were way too big of a game... filled to the brim with trash side quests and worthless question marked locations to stumble across for nothing valuable to the game.

I don’t think I’ve seen games with a map sizeas huge as either. Ubisoft’s Korean sweatshop recycling of assets is unmatched. Then again... they make the same game every 6 months so they have the practice.

Last edited:

Fbh

Most of that sounds good. An Assassins Creed that's truly fully coop (and not limited to specific missions like Unity) could be cool.

I just hope they don't have random level gates halting your progress for the mains story........ while simultaneously selling an Xp boosting DLC

Last edited:

Fbh

What is wrong with devs these days ??? A massive map ?

We dont need this shit a good game doesn't need a massive map to be great .. just focus on gameplay and details and of course the story I dont give a damn about the map size

It's sadly their formula that has been working well for them. Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Assassins Creed.... slowly but steadily all their franchises are just turning into different skins for the same core game.
At this point they could bring them all together into some Ubisot Open World™ (UOW™ ) franchise.
"Would you like UOW™ Swords and knifes, UOW™ third person guns or UOW™ First person guns?"

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
giphy.gif

Oh, look, yet another AC game which I'll never play cuz 90% of rumored stuff makes me want to vomit. I had enough of this (or similar shit) in AC Origins and I don't want to experiece all this ever again and even under a barrel of a gun. I hope just like Breakpoint this game will show them that making extremely bloated and oversized open world games with 90% of borring and filler content is not going to cut it anymore. Good god I'm so sick and tired of all this shit in AC games and Ubi games in general.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
An AC game in the current style (basically just an action RPG) with a viking setting sounds basically like a dream game to me, so I really hope some of these rumors turn out to be true.

Didn't play Odyssey, eh?

Scale and density in Odyssey was near-perfect in my opinion. Ubisoft does the same thing with Vikings I'm buying it. Instantly.
You're right. I didn't. Maybe I should check it out. I guess for games that involve treasure and exploration it makes sense. I guess I'm just jaded by games like GTA V that to me felt too big and empty.

Assassin's Creed Ragnarok, the rumored next entry in the series by Ubisoft, has yet to be revealed officially, but today some new details on the game emerged online through a leak.

According to this new leak, the new entry in the series is going to a cross-gen title, launching on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as well as on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. The game is apparently getting revealed next month, and it will be released in September.

Assassin's Creed Ragnarok will feature improvements to the RPG mechanics introduced in Assassin's Creed Odyssey as well as to combat, parkour, and stealth.

Co-op will also be included.

Assassin's Creed Ragnarok is also going to feature a reputation system, which will make quests and missions available in certain kingdoms only once a certain level of reputation has been reached.

Assassin's Creed Ragnarok is also going to do away with level locked regions, with a new progression system.

The Assassin's Creed Ragnarok map is also said to be massive, featuring almost all of Northern Europe as well as big cities like York, London, Paris, and Kiev. These cities make quite a lot of sense, considering the Viking setting, as Northmen and Danes raided these areas and created settlements near them.

As today's leak comes from an anonymous source, we have to take it with a grain of salt. Leaks about the Assassin's Creed series, however, have become extremely common in the past few years, so there's a good chance that today's leak could be real, also considering how detailed it is.

Continuing the rpg trend is a big turnoff for me, can't stand it anymore
This formula was really succesful in origins and odissey, but this is nothing like AC

Personal preference of course

Grind and big ass maps are not my thing sadly, though i'd want to continue to enjoy this series

I'd change my mind only for a japanese AC, but with the rpg formula would be horrible, jusf imagine a ninja fighting with that clunky as fuck combat system, ugh
With the original army man cs, like in Black Flag ( even if it was too easy and a little exhaggerated) and the free flow, wow
An old formula ninja AC would have been AN absolute blast in the vein of tenchu

Last edited:
i'm looking forward to whatever they make next because i skipped out on both odyssey and origins which I heard were pretty good. Hopefully they build on that to make something epic

iorek21

Wait.

Kiev??

From Paris to Kiev there are what, 4-5 countries between those cities?

No way this is realistically possible with quality.... right?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Apparently this is happening huh? Everyone cares about vikings for some reason, they're relevant so their decision to go the viking route seems smart. Yelling warriors is very entertaining, and personally I like the settings.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This sounds great to me, I love a big map and I really loved the last 2 AC games. I'd be day 1 except I have to wait a bit to play it on the XsX.

zeorhymer

Uh....bunch of meaningless changes. You get more variety of weapons, but you get less weapons to use. So I guess weapons will break every 10 swings or so. Skyrim leveling...ugh. MASSIVE world! Watch as it's empty. Removal of minimum levels = scaling enemies.

They've turned the franchise from assassinating people into generic fantasy action game.

scalman

i need new AC and new FC those would be like one of best games in 3rd person action adventure and FPS games out there. but they need to make it to real next gen man ... like AI next gen . destruction next gen and such. not resolution up. we need other stuff to be more alive more random and more working.

Top Bottom