• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla lets you have homosexual romances

Lol, that is super gay
tenor.gif

Nymphae

Banned
decent amount of people in here upset with OPTIONAL choices in a video game because they don't agree with it. how dare you bring homosexuality into MY CHRISTIAN VIDEO GAME LIFE!!

It's simply a stark difference to the focus of the first couple games, when they wanted to tell a cool sci fi story and were experimenting with new third-person action/adventure ideas. Now the first thing I'm hearing about new AC games is who I can fuck. Awesome?

I've lost interest after Origins, I wish they would reboot it in some way.

Last edited:

Alx

It's simply a stark difference to the focus of the first couple games, when they wanted to tell a cool sci fi story and were experimenting with new third-person action/adventure ideas. Now the first thing I'm hearing about new AC games is who I can fuck. Awesome?

They just increased the RPG part, with more interaction with NPC, dialog options etc. Romance is just one of those options, and not really something new in the RPG genre. (and yeah I did prefer the original formula too, but others like the new style, so to each his own).

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I would say it's probably more the fault of games media for drawing attention to this one thing, whether the devs wanted to use it for publicity or not.

Separately, I'm still looking forward to getting my ass pounded as a viking.

HotPocket69

Banned

I've lost interest after Origins, I wish they would reboot it in some way.

The original game is still the best.

Id love to see Creed rebooted to something similar to Hitman. Smaller maps in a historical time period and actually having to plan out the assassination of targets and stealthily succeeding.

Jbomb19

Why not. An option is an option. If its solely about "options" than why can't that be in the game. Along with rape, plunder and pillaging?

This options excuse only goes so far

I mean, you can tweet at Ubisoft about wanting to fuck a bear. maybe it'll be an after-release patch?

Mojo1990

I find it funny how people seemingly want historical accuracy all of a sudden, from a series that isn't really known for it, it's just entertainment.

Optional gameplay mechanics = mandatory whining.

I didn't argue for historical accuracy. My criticism is slightly different.

I feel it would be wrong to allow for certain behaviours which the Vikings would not likely have approved of. Kind of like imposing our woke moral values and revising history to make it more palatable.

Having amazing weapons or magic abilities (or whatever) are things that I suspect they would have gladly embraced given they seem like logical enhancements.

UnNamed

Banned
"IN OUR GAME YOU CAN BE WHOEVEVER YOU WANT!!"
... I want to be a midget lesb...
"YOU CAN'T BE WHOEVER YOU WANT WEIRDO! "

mcjmetroid

Let me just say that choices are good.

You were able to do this stuff as far back as Mass Effect and probably even before.

You have a choice too in the game and if you're buying this for your kids and you have no problem with kids playing games this violent but do having a man kiss another man then that's your warped perception on reality and your problem and nobody else.

Tschumi

Well, that's it then, isn't it? Let's give it a 0.1 user review on metacritic. We can't have the crappy love scenes from mass effect shown up by a couple of 3d characters made to look male! What does that say about my sexuality, that I'm excited for a homo game?! No no i can't let that happen!

Duke Nukem was high art! This is just pandering to some fabricated "new normal"! I have a huge problem with any world view not in line with my own!

What comes next if we allow the queers to have equal presence in our video games?! The quality of the narrative will suffer! How could Duke Nukem have been the paragon of chivalry he was if he was getting seduced by these very different, somehow very insidious sexual deviants!?!?

What if these queer videogame characters should have a personality flaw? What if they hold a grudge? Is that the game telling me I'm an asshole? I don't need that! Young girls and vikings should navigate hellscapes of carnage with inane grins and active sexual appetites! Games should tell me that I'm sexually secure, and they should tell any homosexual that their sexuality is invalid and forced!

I need to denounce this game! Like, i must! If i don't... People might think i don't have a problem with it!

carlosrox

Banned
I don't give a shit about straight, gay, or whatever relationships in videogames. They are not interesting to me in the least.

No interest.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I hope there is implied docking otherwise I'm boycotting gaming as a whole!

Serious note, these games are designed in a way that these sort of choices mean very little in the end. Super pumped for the game and hope is just as good, if not better than Oddessey.

oagboghi2

Well, that's it then, isn't it? Let's give it a 0.1 user review on metacritic. We can't have the crappy love scenes from mass effect shown up by a couple of 3d characters made to look male! What does that say about my sexuality, that I'm excited for a homo game?! No no i can't let that happen!

Duke Nukem was high art! This is just pandering to some fabricated "new normal"! I have a huge problem with any world view not in line with my own!

What comes next if we allow the queers to have equal presence in our video games?! The quality of the narrative will suffer! How could Duke Nukem have been the paragon of chivalry he was if he was getting seduced by these very different, somehow very insidious sexual deviants!?!?

What if these queer videogame characters should have a personality flaw? What if they hold a grudge? Is that the game telling me I'm an asshole? I don't need that! Young girls and vikings should navigate hellscapes of carnage with inane grins and active sexual appetites! Games should tell me that I'm sexually secure, and they should tell any homosexual that their sexuality is invalid and forced!

I need to denounce this game! Like, i must! If i don't... People might think i don't have a problem with it!

Jesus dude, calm down.

She isn't going to fuck you. It's a 3D model. You don't have to post this twice

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
I'm all for choices (except you don't have them, this is yet another alienation but at least no longer for gays and lesbians), but the "romances" mechanics are useless, cringey crap that have replaced fan service.

I don't have a problem with it being in the game either. Just want to clarify that, because people tend to judge people on here pretty quickly.

I would like the choices to matter this time, they were pointless in the last game.

I found this quote

"Before the arrival of Christianity, Norse people didn't view homosexuality as opposed to laws of nature, man, or gods. However, as a patriarchal, pride-based culture, Vikings saw any act of submitting to the will of another person as humiliating and base. Because of this, any man who was penetrated lost all esteem and dignity.

Homosexual relationships between friends - or, at least, penetrative anal sex between male friends - was considered betrayal, because it consisted of one friend emasculating the other. However, it's possible homosexuality became less stigmatized for men who were married and had children, because they were finished with their duty to propagate their bloodline. It's also possible receiving anal sex was okay for infertile men, because what else were they gonna do? Certainly not have kids.

There is no mention of oral sex in Viking literature, making it entirely possible it was socially acceptable for men to perform fellatio on one another.

Last edited:
Screw romances, when we gonna get good sex scenes? Witcher 3's were pretty stylish but Bethesda is too insecure and Bioware's are like watching robots. Get on that shit Ubisoft!

Freeman

Banned
I'm don't like Assassins Creed or Ubisoft games very much but gay sex seems just like what those games were missing, other than quality that is.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I want pearls on my pubic hairs.

I don’t care about romance in games.
Especially on assassin’s creed game, there’s not even some nice boobs to see like in witcher 3 and certainly in cyberpunk. (Maybe even glowing boobs)

I won't still buy it.

Oh... and... Ubi should be that desesperated after the leacks to pinkwash itself and to make it go viral like that. 😂🥳👍

Ubi culture is homophobe no matter what, unlike SEGA, SNK, Cacpom. This only solution i see is to dissolve the whole compagny to make a fresh start. It will never happen and we'll have the same talks/leaks in 10 years.

sertopico

God, romances in previous AC titles were obnoxious, with badly written dialogues (as much as most of the others to be honest) and just put there without a real purpose, maybe to make everybody happy? From my perspective, either you do it good (that means, it must have some kind of influence on your playthrough), or you don't do it at all. I am curious to see what CDP will do with Cyberpunk.

DogofWar

Haven't played any Assassin's Creed since 2 but if this is their selling point for their games nowadays my interest is not exactly rekindled.

Kimahri

Banned
I find video game romances to be a waste of time no matter who are what you're bugging.

This would be far more interesting if the devs tried to make it somewhat historically accurate. Vikings were okay with gay fucking, as long as you were the one doing the fucking. Being on the receiving end was seen as failure, so yea raping men during raids is a ok, taking it like a champ is not.

Now this view on homosexuality could play for some interesting events in a game. Say you're a dude who romances a dude, and it gets discovered someone that you bottomed, that would make you look weak to your men.

It would actually have an impact, and it'll teach people a bit about how things were in various places im the past.

But it's 2020 and we have to pretend everything was utopia.

PapyDoc

Hmmmm Gay bromance between Duke Nukem and Alberto Wesker.

The problem with romance in games like this in my humble opinion is the lack of persistence and hence meaning.

It's projected as a dialog "game" of pursuit, persuasion and flattery, with a sexually intimate payoff and then literally nothing. You simply ride off into the sunset. You can't even come back to find that character again, it's like they simply evaporate out of the world.

The sheer quantity of James Bond style "fuck-&-chuck" relationships in Odyssey could be considered as actually quite irresponsible in some sense. Think about what it teaches young men or women in the modern age of internet Tinder/Bumble dating age about the "value" of romance?

The only meaningful relationship in the game was one you had no choice in getting into. Which for me, playing as a lesbian Kassandra felt a bit like being in one of those cultures where arranged marriage is still a thing. I admired Natakas as a character but my character wasn't invested in him in any way.

I loved the Witcher 3 for this, specifically in how it handled the relationship between my Geralt and Yennefer. The relationship development between those characters was just so rich and had weight and meaning, to the point where you could feel the chemistry between the characters, even through the quite crass and ham-handled sex scenes.

Burger

Yeah, the amount of effort Ubisoft put into Odyssey amounted to typing some garbage into a dialogue system and adding a fade to black.

Calling it 'romance' is misleading. You can't romance anyone in Assassins Creed, because there are no systems for it.

the_master

Is this obsession game developers have with cramming 'romance' into their games because they think gamers can't get any in real life?
Romance is a part of life. It makes no sense to keep it oit of videogames. Love, sex and romance are some of the most powerful motors of life and players want to enjoy them in their games. Same as they can enjoy becoming powerfull, buying and driving a vehicle, defeating a vilain or becoming one.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A lot of romancing options in games but I still have to see an option to jerk off.

sobaka770

Banned
I mean you could do all of that in Odyssey so I didn't expect any regression there. They are probably just using the same lazy approach of letting you do whatever with whomever which coincidentally is the one that gives most choice. Why is this big news?

Top Bottom