• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Cinema 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sliver

I would add Memories of Murder to that. And Taeguki, a war movie, even though I haven't had the chance to see it yet.

Heel

Sliver said:
I would add Memories of Murder to that. And Taeguki, a war movie, even though I haven't had the chance to see it yet.

Two of my favorites.

All of the other rec's are great as well! Only ones I haven't seen are My Sassy Girl, Chingu and Open City.

Ghouse: If Letters from Iwo Jima is on your list, I think you'll really dig Tae Guk Gi.

G17

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will get to them right when I finish my midterms this week. All of them look really good from trailers.

CiSTM

Banned
CaptYamato said:
If you have seen any in the past few years start with the more popular ones:
Korean films.
A Bittersweet Life
Oldboy
My Sassy Girl
The Chaser
The Good The Bad The Weird
A Dirty Carnival
J.S.A.

Oh shit I am drawing a blank...
...I'll cover for you:
Musa
Memories of Murder
Attack to Gas Station
Host
Quiet Family
Peppermint Candy
Welcome to Dongmakgol
Save the Green Planet
Friend

...someone take over.

edit. I gotta watch Attack to Gas Station again :D Such a funny movie.

Chairhome

What was the name of that asian movie that drew similarities to Harry Potter? It was either released or releasing soon. Something about a wizard (?) in modern times. Looked interesting to me (correct me if I'm wrong).

Chairhome said:
What was the name of that asian movie that drew similarities to Harry Potter? It was either released or releasing soon. Something about a wizard (?) in modern times. Looked interesting to me (correct me if I'm wrong).
Pretty sure you mean Jeon Woo Chi

G17

Just watched My Sassy Girl, it was a great movie and is now my favorite Romantic Comedy film. It was brilliantly written, and it was just so deep in its messages and themes that I really think I need to watch it again to appreciate the details. :)

There are many good explanations in reviews of the film in various places that help you look back and appreciate just how great of a film it was.

Thanks for the suggestion once again and I look foward to watching some of the others you all have suggested soon!

CiSTM

Banned
Hard Romanticker (out late nov. in Japan)
The story of Hard Romanticker revolves around Gu, born in Japan from Korean parents, he’s a high school dropout doing small jobs and always looking for troubles. One day, he’s contacted by an old friend who’s a now gang member, deeply involved in a gruesome murder
Trailer

Himizu (Jan. 14th. 2012)
Himizu follows the quest for normal life of a junior high schooler named Sumida, who’s running the family business since his parents abandoned him. Even though he’s not interested, a girl from his class, deeply in love with him, comes from time to time to see him. But one night, Sumida’s drunken father shows up, the boy just kills him, being unable to contain his anger anymore. The story is set right after Japan’s March 11 Earthquake
Trailer

Romanticker seems like it could be good, action and some comedy. Didn't like Sono's Cold Fish at all and it soured me for any of his future movies so I can't say I'm expecting much from this.

Edit. Also Sono's next film Guilty Romance will hit the JP theaters next week.

FreeMufasa

Think i'm getting back into Asian cinema.

Does anyone know of any weird Japanese films? I'm talking Visitor Q level weirdness. Thanks

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
FreeMufasa said:

Does anyone know of any weird Japanese films? I'm talking Visitor Q level weirdness. Thanks
Try The Happiness of the Katakuris and Love Exposure.

cory.

Banned
From a review of the new Sion Sono film, Guilty of Romance:
If Love Exposure was Sion Sono's "War and Peace," then this film is his Mulholland Drive or Sunset Boulevard (in addition to being a loose interpretation of Kafka's "Castle") - a terrific psychological thriller with spiritual trappings, all shot in beautiful, colourful, hypnotic film. This film is simply gorgeous to look at. Every shot is like a picture frame you could hang on your wall. The film is edited together like a love letter to the most patient, intelligent, passionate and yearning person (audience?) in the world. This is not an easy film, but this is indeed a very rewarding film, both in the luxury of details and, formally, in the larger arch of the whole film's epic narrative.
Due to Sion Sono's uncompromising style, to viewer needs to feel comfortable with his or her own emotional baggage, because the brutality and horror of the plot can strike an unwary heart as obscene - but this is only a mirage, since the themes of the movie, I claim, are perfectly ordinary and everyday, just repressed from our everyday consciousness. The film, to put it simply, conveys human desire as a burning, never-ending vertigo of passion (accurately enough) that threatens to overtake human beings even when they think they have finally reached calm and quiet in some safe haven of the soul - like in the all-too-perfect marriage of the protagonist, which quickly gives way, instead, to an exciting adventure into the world of depravity, which both liberates and ensnares our heroine.
I need to see this right now. As in, 4:30 in the morning right now.

Edit: Oh shit it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray in the UK on November 28th. But there's no way of knowing if it's region-locked. :(

CiSTM

Banned
cory. said:

Edit: Oh shit it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray in the UK on November 28th. But there's no way of knowing if it's region-locked. :(
Gonna see it but Cold Fish left me with very little hope for future Sono films. And since it's very hard to get trust worthy reviews of asian films (for many asian film buffs there is no such thing as bad asian film.) I'm not gonna believe the hype this time around, gotta see it myself.

vitacola

cory. said:

Just hope that the English didn't fuck up the NTSC to PAL transfer like they did with Love Exposure ...

cory.

Banned
It's not the full length cut so I'll hold out.

CiSTM said:
Gonna see it but Cold Fish left me with very little hope for future Sono films. And since it's very hard to get trust worthy reviews of asian films (for many asian film buffs there is no such thing as bad asian film.) I'm not gonna believe the hype this time around, gotta see it myself.
I thought Cold Fish was great, as were most of his other movies that I've seen. Suicide Club was kinda on the crappy side though.

G17

Just finished watching Welcome to Dongmakgol, one of the best films I've seen. What a great take on War/humans in general. Sometimes we get too caught up on most war movies which have one good side and one bad side.. and sometimes we never think about other things. I shouldn't say more, I highly recommend it! If you plan on watching it, do not watch the trailers for this movie. I didn't.. and I am thankful I didn't.

Now to move onto the other recommendations. :)

Zyzyxxz

Timbuktu said:
http://30ninjas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/wu-xia.png[IMG]

Just saw [B]Wu Xia[/B], which surprised me quite a bit. even though i know Peter Chan jumps from genre to genre like Danny Boyle, i didn't this to have a bit of Sherlock in there as well. For an overcrowded martial arts and historical/fantasy epics from China, this felt quite fresh. And personally, i loved the ending [spoiler]really had me laughing out loud[/spoiler].[/QUOTE]

I was actually half watching this on a bus in China and I had no idea what was going on since I didn't understand Mandarin and the TV on the bus was all fuzzy and wonky.

Now I really want to watch it so I know whats going on.

meppi

FreeMufasa said:

I'd say go for Survive Style 5+, there's very little chance you'll regret it.
Certainly one of my favorite WTF movies. :)

AAequal

Banned
Ghouse said:
Just finished watching Welcome to Dongmakgol, one of the best films I've seen. What a great take on War/humans in general. Sometimes we get too caught up on most war movies which have one good side and one bad side.. and sometimes we never think about other things. I shouldn't say more, I highly recommend it! If you plan on watching it, do not watch the trailers for this movie. I didn't.. and I am thankful I didn't.

Now to move onto the other recommendations. :)
It's really great film. It also came out in height of Asian cinema but it didn't really get noticed outside of SK and that's a real shame since it's so good. Does anyone know what happened to the director ? Welcome to Dongmakgol was second biggest film of 2005 in Korea so I would imagine he would make another movie while the iron is hot, yet nothing so far.

The Korean Blu-ray release is also rather good in quality so people should check it out.
BD review

Also saw the Japanese comedy film Swing Girls today and it was much better then I expected. Good light hearted comedy with some music.

AAequal

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Ive had Welcome to Dongmakgol forever and never watched it.
Watch it today, it's awesome.

I'm going to start Juzo Itami marathon. I will start with Tampopo, haven't seen it since the 90s but I do remember how great it is. Then Taxing Woman, another great movie by Itami. Then the rest, haven't seen theme before but my friend say they are good as films I mentioned so I'm pretty hyped.

Amagon

J2d said:
I hope this gets a blu-ray release someday, I really enjoyed it.
You can always import the blu ray from Korea. A little bit expensive ($30 - $50) but its Region A so it'll work on any BR players in America and any of the Asian countries and also has English subtitles. I've been importing blus for a while now, expensive but its a hobby, what are you gonna do? :)

The Chaser Blu Ray - Ebay

J2d

CaptYamato said:
You can import the blu from Korea. I use k2dvd.com

THE NO LIFE KING said:
You can always import the blu ray from Korea. A little bit expensive ($30 - $50) but its Region A so it'll work on any BR players in America and any of the Asian countries and also has English subtitles. I've been importing blus for a while now, expensive but its a hobby, what are you gonna do? :)

The Chaser Blu Ray - Ebay
Thanks, I checked out yesasia and something else and didn't see it so I figured that it had never seen a blu release. But I noticed that it suffers from some pretty bad dnr so I'll hold off for a while and hope for a better release =/

FreeMufasa

Thanks for the recommendation guys. All of the films were amazing.

Now I was wondering what Japanese movies showing teen/high school life you'd recommend. Stuff like Kids from Larry Clark and Battle Royale to an extent. Showing a gritty hard life.

Heel

FreeMufasa said:
Thanks for the recommendation guys. All of the films were amazing.

Now I was wondering what Japanese movies showing teen/high school life you'd recommend. Stuff like Kids from Larry Clark and Battle Royale to an extent. Showing a gritty hard life.

Not necessarily teens, but have you seen Nobody Knows? Great film.

CaptYamato, I'm getting to Bleak Night soon!

dvdjamm

I really want to see this... Hindsight / Blue Salt

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/a-sy...om-lee-hyeon-seungs-crime-thriller-blue-salt/

Song Kang-ho is an actor I’ve grown to appreciate over the past few years. He first popped up on my cinematic radar after his memorable turn in director Park Chan-wook’s “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance”, a film that still ranks as one of my favorite South Korean movies. After impressive performances in both “The Host” and “Thirst”, I’ve decided that I’ll give the guy a shot in just about anything. Enter Lee Hyeon-seung’s upcoming crime drama “Blue Salt”, which casts the versatile actor as a recovering gangster who soon finds himself back in the proverbial game. Sounds like a good time to me.

Specifically, here are the details:

Retired mob boss Du-heon enrolls in a cooking class with the hopes of making a fresh start as a restaurant owner. In the class he meets a quirky girl, Se-bin, and finds himself drawn to her mysterious charms. Despite his determination to wipe the slate clean, Du-heon is summoned back into the criminal fold by his old colleagues to stop his successor expanding the mob business into prostitution and drug-dealing.

But there’s more to the girl from the cooking class than meets the eye: Se-bin is a contract killer hired by the new boss. She keeps a close eye on Du-heon and watches for an opportunity to take him out. However, she comes into conflict with herself as she grows attached to him.

When her friend and partner, Eun-jeong, is kidnapped by the new boss, she suggests that she kill Du-heon in exchange for her friend’s safe return. On a vast salt farm, Se-bin and Du-heon come face to face in a final showdown.

Hindsight_Korean_Movie_6229_poster.jpg

Peru

I watched Sector 7 because of Ha Ji Won.. absolute dogshit. Blue Salt looks much better, though. Finally got around to The Yellow Sea which was great and almost funny in following the protagonist stumble through the world.

AAequal

Banned
dvdjamm said:
I really want to see this... Hindsight / Blue Salt

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/a-sy...om-lee-hyeon-seungs-crime-thriller-blue-salt/

http://www.dramastyle.com/images/3/3/Hindsight_Korean_Movie_6229_poster.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I'm going to watch this today or tomorrow. I have to say the plot sounds really stupid and going by the trailer the whole film is going to be stupid. I will give it a fair chance. BTW the international trailer has some terrible music and I do hope it doesn't reflect on the films overall OST.

you-are-the-apple-of-my-eye-2011-1.jpg

"You Are the Apple of My Eye"

Probably the hottest movie in Taiwan and South East Asia right now. Going to watch this with a special lady friend of mine this weekend. Any gaffers watch this already?

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Count me interested with these two films!!!! Did they ever release a blu ray version of the Yellow Sea with English subs by any chance?

Supposedly it is coming but no real word. It was co-produce by Fox so it is ultimately up to them.

Radec

schroddycat said:
you-are-the-apple-of-my-eye-2011-1.jpg

"You Are the Apple of My Eye"

Probably the hottest movie in Taiwan and South East Asia right now. Going to watch this with a special lady friend of mine this weekend. Any gaffers watch this already?

I need to find this.

I'm a suffer for this kind of movies. ;)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
AAequal said:
I'm going to start Juzo Itami marathon. I will start with Tampopo, haven't seen it since the 90s but I do remember how great it is. Then Taxing Woman, another great movie by Itami. Then the rest, haven't seen theme before but my friend say they are good as films I mentioned so I'm pretty hyped.
All of his films are great and it's a shame that there aren't many films in the same style as his anymore - but I suppose that's what you get when you're considered the next best Japanese director after Kurosawa. The closest director I can think of that achieves the same dynamics is probably Koki Mitani, and even then he is a bit different due to his work being much more theatre-inspired.

I always found it inspiring that Itami did not become successful until he hit the age of 50. Hard to believe that in such a short span of 14 years he managed to pump out ten movies that are all quality watching. A shame that his life was cut so short during his peak (I loved one of his latter movies, Supermarket Woman).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom