• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ashton Kutcher testifies before US Senate committee on human trafficking (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eylos

Banned
Man i worked on fucked up things in the court, have seen horrible pictures, but to watch the video Ashton watched would disturb me for life.

Great Guy great project, lots of respect.

dr_octagon

Banned
It can be easy to underestimate the hard work that goes on beyond the scenes. Not just technical or operational difficulty but people working constantly to do the right thing. It is also useful as a reminder that even Hollywood has good people who wish to make the world a positive place.

Being famous allows the insight to be shared with others and the scope of sex trafficking (or its statistics) can be discussed. People like Aston aren't on the front line but they play a key role to educate others and raise the profile of technology and teams involved. It also highlights how the justice system works alongside inteliigence agencies to bring people to account (both on an individual and corporate level).

KAP151

Credit where credit is due, he is is doing some amazing work.

As a new dad to a almost year old daughter the fact that people are able to do such horrific things is so foreign to me.

Good on him. I hope he gets all the support he needs.

Amazing person. Quite commendable efforts by him. Always gotten surprised every time I have seen Ashton speak in public as he seems like a genuine intelligent and caring person.

These type of things get ignored. It is so sickening how this world is and how little help there are (never enough) and that there is still so much to do with these topics. Its so important that they are focusing on the dark web and identifying victims and perpetrators. It is amazing how we can use technology to help others.

sinkfla87

Well, he just earned the utmost respect from me. I kinda want to donate or help in some way, wish I had the money to do so :(.

gotta say, this is amazing and not somethng you'd associate with kutcher. Good on him. That story about the 7 year old girl is harrowing. the dark web :(

Ensirius

I now have a deep respect for this man.
And his speech was very tough to listen to whenever he went into some details with the cases.

the_id

Inspiring work and dare I say an inspiring individual. I watched that video twice.

I'm curious about the tech - neural networking? It seems AI is involved in this.

Seik

Banned
That was very touching, kudos!

I'm used to him doing the dumb shit in That 70's Show or Two and a Half Man, I never actually saw Ashton Kutcher as the man himself.

It's great that he's fighting against human trafficking, keep on fighting the good fight! Lots of respect for the man.

Dosia

I remember someone posted an article on this forum about the dark web and it was extremely disturbing (I had never even heard of it at the time). I still cant believe it is so difficult to catch these terrible individuals.

Wasn't there a massive bust just two weeks ago, arresting as many as like 500 people? The idea that that exists at all is fucking sickening.
Slavery has never in human history been more prevalent than it is now. It's just primarily focused in Southeast Asia so nobody talks about it.

Slavery in the US has estimates ranging from a few hundred thousand to over a million people currently enslaved. I liken the latter to be more true.

It's never gone away, the idea that it did with Lincoln is the worst lie we've ever told ourselves. Slavery still thrives today.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It's called being proud of someone

I don't know it's an odd way of reacting to such a grim subject. But good on Ashton, I made it through his talk and I can't imagine how hard it must be to tackle this shit head on. There are legit monsters in this world...

HvySky

Good for Ashton. Like a lot of people, I had no idea he was even doing this. Can't give him enough props for fighting so passionately for such a worthy cause.

I always knew it was a smart man

It's great to see him doing this

Kind of off topic, but why did some people think he was "dumb" because of the comedic characters he plays and Punk'd?

You do know comedy and playfulness are known traits of high intelligence

And yeah foster care in this country isn't damaged, it's broken. Irrevocably broken. It needs to be completely rebuilt, but not one politician is willing to even talk about it. It's not a "hot bed" issue.

It's disgusting how little we give thought towards kids who have nothing, sometimes.

DopeToast

Banned
Good for him. I'm always impressed when traditionally non-political people are able to testify in front of congress for stuff like this. That takes guts.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's almost like you're trying to belittle what he's doing. He was wrong for exaggerating, yes, but we shouldn't be pointing out his flaws, we should be celebrating the work his company has done.

That's a ridiculous point of view.

What he is doing is good, and important. It's also work that heavily relies on accurate data and reliable information. When he undermines that by inflating the numbers or presenting an inaccurate image, it's not a good thing and he should correct that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom