• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Halo Infinite cheating begins, console players call on 343 to let them disable crossplay

Flintty

Did you miss the great era of Sony “anti consumerism”, by officials and repeated by many a forum goers?
I think you mis-remember. A lot of the outrage was for games like Fortnite where not only did they stop us playing together across platforms when MS was allowing it, but Sony also locked out players' purchases if they played on another platform just once. That's the shit people got mad about.

The crux is that if people want to play cross platform, why not allow it? But do let them opt out. 343 should allow us to opt out.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Am I missing something here?

1, The problem isn't Cross-play. Cross-play has more benefits than it does drawbacks.

2, Cheaters are the problem, and those who think only PC players cheat need to uppercut themselves.

3, Anti-cheat systems are also partially the problem. I refuse to believe a company serious about cheating cant find a way to stop/minimize it.

This is not a Sony vs MS thing. This is a problem with cheaters and the strategies to tackle cheating in FPS games.

Brofist

Am I missing something here?

1, The problem isn't Cross-play. Cross-play has more benefits than it does drawbacks.

2, Cheaters are the problem, and those who think only PC players cheat need to uppercut themselves.

3, Anti-cheat systems are also partially the problem. I refuse to believe a company serious about cheating cant find a way to stop/minimize it.

This is not a Sony vs MS thing. This is a problem with cheaters and the strategies to tackle cheating in FPS games.
PC gamers are always an easy scapegoat in these situations. Most of the people that think they are getting cheated on are just getting owned by kb/m players

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Anecdotally, who here has actually experienced cheaters using cross-play?
Potato Chip PRO Potato Chip PRO and I did. We were playing together and thought something was off with one of the people we were facing. I went back and watched said player in the Theater and saw he was tracking people through walls, pre shooting around corners, and even no scope headshots with the sniper. It was pretty blatant

MrFunSocks

Banned
PC gamers are always an easy scapegoat in these situations. Most of the people that think they are getting cheated on are just getting owned by kb/m players
Sure, but cheating is also far more prevalent on PC than it is on consoles because it's much easier to do.

Lifelong PC gamer.

Yes, some people cheat. It's inevitable and unavoidable on an open platform.

However, it's usually a relatively low percentage. Everyone loves to point to a few cherry-picked cheating videos and then demean the entire PC population like we're all in this together to make console players have a bad time or something. We don't want to deal with it either. Call on MS to implement effective anti-cheat.
Still sucks for us on console since we used to not have to play with PC, where 99% of the cheaters are!

Before people say "just opt out"well why the fuck is non input based cross platform on by default? That gives the ILLUSION of being able to just opt out since the developer has effectively decided where the largest percentage of matchmaking populations are with that default setting.

This is a raw deal for console players on multiple levels. Oh so in "ranked mode" we get the option only? So unless we want to sweat it out we have to start every match at a disadvantage...great.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Still sucks for us on console since we used to not have to play with PC, where 99% of the cheaters are!

Before people say "just opt out"well why the fuck is non input based cross platform on by default? That gives the ILLUSION of being able to just opt out since the developer has effectively decided where the largest percentage of matchmaking populations are with that default setting.

This is a raw deal for console players on multiple levels. Oh so in "ranked mode" we get the option only? So unless we want to sweat it out we have to start every match at a disadvantage...great.
It's still in beta, and even though it's essentially content and feature complete, the ability to change the cross play option in the drop down on matchmaking currently only has 1 option in it. When the game goes full release on December 8 I'd say they'll likely enable the rest of the options in there.

Roxkis_ii

Anyone comparing controls mods on console to the cheats and hacks on pc are off their rocker.

I remember in the 90's, I would watch my friend cheat in counter strike. Having no recoil ain't got shit on head tracking thru walls and unlimited range knifing.

Closet thing on console was playing Halo 2 on a modded Xbox vs other modded xboxs. Watching guns shoot out Spartans as bullets, then crouch and zoom away was a sight to behold.

I'm no fan of 343 is the slightest, but I'll at
least wait until the beta is over before calling the game extra trash.

To people saying cheaters on PC is a low number , google how many players Activision has banned in warzone over the years and how much of a headache and a fuckfest it is over there. It's literally in millions.Activision shadow bans them, hardware bans them still the problem persists

Shmunter

I think you mis-remember. A lot of the outrage was for games like Fortnite where not only did they stop us playing together across platforms when MS was allowing it, but Sony also locked out players' purchases if they played on another platform just once. That's the shit people got mad about.

The crux is that if people want to play cross platform, why not allow it? But do let them opt out. 343 should allow us to opt out.
Not at all, I'm pretty astute at following gamer industry...some quick google results...

Phil Spencer: Sony is Blocking Minecraft Cross Platform Play​

“We talk to Sony all the time,” Mr. Spencer told Gamespot. “With Minecraft on PlayStation, we have to be one of the biggest games on their platform in terms of sales and gameplay. Same with Nintendo. The relationship with Nintendo on this front has been strong. They’ve been great supporters and we continue to collaborate with them. But I think Sony’s view is different. They should talk about what their view is…”

Phil Spencer Is No Longer Optimistic About Sony/Xbox Crossplay

"I have a real struggle making comments about their motivation or timelines (…) I know there is a certain view that says if my friends have this console, they can’t play with people who buy another console. I don’t think everybody is taking that same approach to the ecosystem. So I’m never going to call anything a lost cause but I think some of the fundamental reasons and certain scenarios, they’re not really going away. So I don’t know what would change.”

Xbox boss Phil Spencer weighs in on Sony not supporting ‘Fortnite’ console cross-play​

Sony Accidently leaves on crossplay for Fortnite....

Cross-Play Battle Is Not Yet Won, According To Phil Spencer​

*Phew, that was needlessly laborious* On and on, I rest my case

Last edited:

Klayzer

Not at all, I'm pretty astute at following gamer industry...some quick google results...

“We talk to Sony all the time,” Mr. Spencer told Gamespot. “With Minecraft on PlayStation, we have to be one of the biggest games on their platform in terms of sales and gameplay. Same with Nintendo. The relationship with Nintendo on this front has been strong. They’ve been great supporters and we continue to collaborate with them. But I think Sony’s view is different. They should talk about what their view is…”

"I have a real struggle making comments about their motivation or timelines (…) I know there is a certain view that says if my friends have this console, they can’t play with people who buy another console. I don’t think everybody is taking that same approach to the ecosystem. So I’m never going to call anything a lost cause but I think some of the fundamental reasons and certain scenarios, they’re not really going away. So I don’t know what would change.”

Xbox boss Phil Spencer weighs in on Sony not supporting ‘Fortnite’ console cross-play​

Lol. No push at all by Uncle Phil....
His legions of clones parakeeted the crossplay doctrine for free on this site. You know the usual speil, anti-blah, blah, blah, while sucking off Microsoft for yet another turnaround narrative.

BigLee74

Heres a good example of aim assist in action. 90% of mouse gamers can't even do this shit. where are the aim assists options for people that aren't fast with mouses? oh wait don't exist.

MarvelousFlamboyantHatchetfish-max-1mb.gif

Imagine posting this as something that is representative of aim assist on consoles. You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about!

SkylineRKR

Cross platform sucks ass. There was a huge drama surrounding it but I flick it off whenever I have the chance. And the reason is exactly this cheating bullshit.

Crossplatform between consoles only would be perfect in fact. But PC's with assists, macros and shit? no thanks.

hlm666

I'm not sure how they are going to combat AI aimbots going forward, progress there is happening faster than you might think. There's already videos of a xim or something with a computer running an AI aimbot calling the shots (literally) from the video feed, gonna need a better solution than just thinking it's a pc problem very soon.

Shmunter

I'm not sure how they are going to combat AI aimbots going forward, progress there is happening faster than you might think. There's already videos of a xim or something with a computer running an AI aimbot calling the shots (literally) from the video feed, gonna need a better solution than just thinking it's a pc problem very soon.
That would be the end of everything

JackSparr0w

Banned
Only if you care about stupid online pvp FPS games. There are far better genres to enjoy. I find the whole cheating drama in sweaty online fps games hilarious like it's a real issue lmao.

Do something better with your lives.

Last edited:

Flintty

Yup, there was a push for popular games to be cross platform on consoles, with only Sony holding out, and even punishing people for logging on to other platforms with Fortnite.

But there’s nothing here about demanding PC crossplay, which is what this thread is discussing. Seems people are clamouring in this thread to point fingers at Xbox gamers and say ‘see this is all your fault’.

I’ve argued the case for cross-progression on all platforms, but not console/PC crossplay. Though ironically I’m the only one in my friend group playing Halo Infinite on console. I’m ok with it for Halo, but if the game is over run with cheaters then I’m out.

Cross play is fantastic, but I agree it should be opt in. Cheaters are a massive issue and it's killed my desire to play online more frequently.
I've seen this. It's basically undetectable if done correctly. Soon AI is gonna play vs AI and we're just gonna watch.

I quoted the wrong guy and now I'm too lazy to change the quote. Sorry.

Last edited:

hlm666

I've seen this. It's basically undetectable if done correctly. Soon AI is gonna play vs AI and we're just gonna watch.

I quoted the wrong guy and now I'm too lazy to change the quote. Sorry.
Pretty sure you ment me and yeh detection is gonna be interesting. At the moment activision seem to be sending lawyers after the creators, but it could backfire if these guys end up feeling they can't make money from their cheats and just dump all the software publicly online for free.

It's already happening, here is a ps5 with the video feed run into a pc so the pc can use AI for aim assist and changing weapon recoil patterns.

and for shits and giggles here's gta 5 using an AI aimbot against the AI

Last edited:

TheZink

I've had a few times over the weekend that I thought for sure someone was using AimBot. Hitting headshots as soon as you come around corners. Like instantly and there was no way they knew I was there.

ethomaz

Banned
Cross-play is one of these bad ideia that get pushed over us due some gamers being loud lol.
I just feel sad for where the industry is moving when I read these expected news.

Last edited:

kyoji

Cross play is fantastic, but I agree it should be opt in. Cheaters are a massive issue and it's killed my desire to play online more frequently.
No no. No no. People wanted cross play so please be excited and if u cant git gud, get cheats, hell im bout to install some rn. See u on the battlefield pussy

Last edited:

Excess

Only two responses so far?

Of course, this isn't scientific, but my point is that much of this comes off as either confirmation bias or cognitive dissonance.

Unfortunately, there really isn't any data to support the argument that cheating is more pervasive in cross-play. If there is, it's in the form of bans for cheating per active players, and I would presume devs have access to that data.

Top Bottom