• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Consoles Continue to Catch Up, PC Gaming Could be Threaten by Another, ARM. Moore's Law / x86 is Dead.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
That take of his could not be serious. Just so outlandish. The PC has lots of great games and even Sony has started porting games to the PC. PC is also the best place for RTS and Strategy games.
I mean, it's a dumb take. The PC gets 99% of the market - it misses out on games that are sponsored by platform holders to drive traffic to their ecosystems/devices. That's it. You miss the Sony exclusives (mostly) and the Nintendo exclusives, and you can play everything else in a superior format that scales as your hardware improves.

Don't get me wrong, I love those Nintendo games, and a lot of the Sony stuff - so I have a Switch, and I'll get a PS5. But, the idea that you miss out on massive oceans of high quality software if you don't own a Switch or a Playstation is laughable.

ZywyPL

Banned
Consoles catching up, sure Jan...

I don't get the ARM hype, all those nice theories and buzzwords, but in practice those chips can berely hold steady performance for more than 5min. even in the most graphically basic games, the only thing worse is Stadia FFS... And those ARM chips are already on 7/5nm process, so how much room for improvement do they have?

Last edited:

Esppiral

Consoles do not "continue to catch up", the newest GPUs are 2x as fast as PS5 (and more than 2x as fast than XSX) and the CPUs are better too, and the gap will only grow.

If ARM eventually overtakes x86, in the end we get better chips, what is the problem? PC games will just get coded for better chips.

In what alternative universe is the ps5 GPU more powerful than the series X?

Last edited:

Brofist

Pretty strange all high profile 3rd party games get announced on PC, almost like there is a viable market there. Even Dragon Quest (a historically console only game) got released on PC waaaay before Xbox.

That's what people don't get. Games that would generally not have been released on PC in the past are now all released on PC. The fact that even Sony exclusives are starting to be brought to the table means everyone wants a piece of that PC pie.

phant0m

As someone that just picked up the new MacBook M1, ARM is absolutely the future. I still can't believe how well a 13" fanless laptop can run Shadowlands at decent settings. iPad games have been giving us some decent visuals for awhile now, but I can't wait to see what developers can do with the 2nd generation of these chips.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Consoles do not "continue to catch up", the newest GPUs are 2x as fast as PS5 (and more than 2x as fast than XSX) and the CPUs are better too, and the gap will only grow.

If ARM eventually overtakes x86, in the end we get better chips, what is the problem? PC games will just get coded for better chips.
Ps5 uses about 3700x for a cpu... That's what I have paired with 3080.
I am still sure ps5 games will use this very well beyond what my pc can do right?

Irobot82

I am still sure ps5 games will use this very well beyond what my pc can do right?
Updrage your next PC. Next release of CPU's and GPU's still dust consoles further and by the time consoles are at the end of their cycle PC's will be hitting like 10x.

PC can't be stopped. If ARM becomes the next big thing then PC gaming will move in that direction, and no the consoles aren't catching up to PCs.

The newest high end PC GPUs vastly outperform the PS5 and XSX.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I feel like backward compatibility will be the reason it doesn't happen.

I do think that diminishing returns does make getting a high end PC much less relevant. I know personally I mostly use it for internet and programming rather than gaming.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Even if this is probably 'best' scenario for incoming future, I dont think x86 cpu would 'die' that easily. We will see how it goes. X86 also getting die shrink and probably it might still have place in desktop but for mobile or laptop space, ARM surely gonna gained more foothold.

Also regarding Apple M1, WCCFTECH highlight something interesting about the test benchmark.

There are rumors that AMD currently working on M1 rival. Redgamingtech claim that they currently developing their own ARM cpu

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

AMD already has 5000 CPUs that are significantly faster (20%?). And they’ll come out with new ones too, it’s not like these are the last CPUs they’re going to make.

Consoles will not and cannot catch up to PCs, that’s just how technology works. They can put out good, value-oriented machines, which they did, but it’s just a moment in time thing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Even if this is probably 'best' scenario for incoming future, I dont think x86 cpu would 'die' that easily. We will see how it goes. X86 also getting die shrink and probably it might still have place in desktop but for mobile or laptop space, ARM surely gonna gained more foothold.

Also regarding Apple M1, WCCFTECH highlight something interesting about the test benchmark.

There are rumors that AMD currently working on M1 rival. Redgamingtech claim that they currently developing their own ARM cpu

I am sure AMD can put out a good ARM chip, but ultimately what matters is the OS and compatibility, and that is not in AMD’s hands. Again Apple has a major advantage here. Windows 10 ARM sucks ass right now.

Last edited:
If Cerny goes ARM for PS6, won't the ease of development be compromised?

I'm sure Cerny and many people at Sony is considering going ARM for the next-gen. That would be a fresh start.

Kumomeme

I am sure AMD can put out a good ARM chip, but ultimately what matters is the OS and compatibility, and that is not in AMD’s hands. Again Apple has a major advantage here. Windows 10 ARM sucks ass right now.
ohh right. in the end it might end up like android vs ios situation.

PC gaming is mostly dead, all best exclusives are console only.
You're either under 20 years old, or your memory is terrible, because if that's the reason PC gaming is dead now, then it was never alive in the first place. It used to be the norm for console games (all of them, even third party titles) to not get PC releases, and vice versa. That didn't start changing until about 15 years ago.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
“Catch up” as in porting their exclusives to PC like Death Stranding, Halo, Gears of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn?

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Oh hey, look, PC gaming is dead again.

I guess I'll mark it on my calendar - like that last few dozen times that happened (and then magically didn't) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Maybe I should switch the counting method to who got to kill it how often.
I think mobile is in the lead of "things that killed PC gaming", but the 2nd place is an epic battle between consoles and VR.

On a (slightly) more serious note:
Some people really struggle to understand that there is no singular PC platform that could even be compared to how consoles operate, don't they?

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

PC has the flexibility of changing as quickly as technology does. Consoles are literally chained down to whatever the launch specs are cause their consumer base would not put up with purchasing a new console once a year to keep up with incremental improvements, not to mention the launch specs are in line with a 2 year old gpu so they are already behind. If you enjoy console gaming that is totally fine, but please do not spread absolute falsehoods to try and make yourself feel better about your purchase. Just as soon as the consoles "catch up", PC parts manufacturers are already developing to make the gap even wider.

Last edited:

AC_Eivor

Neo Member
Mac OS has moved to ARM and has a very strong compatibility layer for x86 applications. Windows has an ARM version with less impressive results, but the potential is there. As long as they can emulate x86 without much performance overhead, PCs will be fine when we transition to ARM.

I like how every thought-provoking thread has the same type of people you can't see past their own biased or fanboyism and/or turn to ageism to say someone is too young to understand.

Of course PC isn't "threaten" but it's to ignite conversation on when and what could cause such a threat.

You can be an avid PC gamer and still challenge/critique your platform.

ARM seems likely to take a large market share within gaming from Intel and AMD. These things are not if but when.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is this because PCs can't use ARM architecture?
The company and patents that might soon be owned by Nvidia?

I don't understand the premise of this thread......are console specs at or above the current crop of CPU/GPU/RAM configs.

Are we expecting consoles to ever be well beyond what current gen(at the time) PC hardware can do?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
ARM seems likely to take a large market share within gaming from Intel and AMD. These things are not if but when.

So what you meant to say is ARM architecture may be the future of PCs?

If Intel can't come up with a worthy viable rival to ARM architecture then AMD will likely start using ARM architecture.

ZywyPL

Banned
Just to add...

PC gaming will never die.
It is just that games will be made for ARM instead x86.

Well you have to say, it got really close to being irrelevant at one point in time, where devs were popping up champagne on Twitter/FB/Insta etc. after reaching a mere 100k sales of multi-million dollar AAA titles, the PS360 era was really rough for PC, with pretty much every game being "consolized", lacking any effort from the devs, basic PC features, sometimes even being locked to 30FPS, and what's not, plus other alternatives like web-based flash games being a real hit back then.

Rikkori

Ah yes, my new favourite glue-sniffers, the "M1 is rEv0lutiARY" crowd. If only their tiny little brains could think past what their owner lets them maybe they'd understand why the strength of the platform is in open access & backwards compatibility rather than the collar Apple puts on them and enslaves them to their ecosystem. And all that for what? So you can overpay for tiny ppw benefits? Absolute morons. I guess they're the reason why selling yourself into bondage had to be made illegal. Some people just want to be owned.

As for ARM as a whole, we'll see. So far nothing has really panned out in the way it's been hyped as disrupting the x86 ecospace. Okay, they do well for specific supercomputer projects (but still not besting x86), but so does IBM, and also - who cares? Are you the government & planning to buy one? Totally irrelevant for people.

In the really long run I'd put more faith in RISC-V simply due to geopolitical reasons, but again unlikely to really mean much for the regular Joe & Janes of the world.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
can, kind of like imagining that Paradox Interactive and Blizzard are gaming.
I'd really like to know what kind of connection you see between Paradox and Blizzard - other than both being developers and publishers.
With Paradox developing mostly (but not only) for PC and Blizzard going cross-platform with pretty much everything.

Hudo

PC is not threatened, it will just evolve with the technology like it always has. There were PCs before x86, you know. And there will be after. And Moore's observation (I wouldn't call it law) had always an upper bound because it was coupled with specific types of technologies used.

Teslerum

Not that X86 won't be eventually passed, but people ITT are seriously overrating ARM/M1.

99% neither of those will supersede X86 except for niches like they already do. Their advantages aren't enough nor do they have the ceiling necessary to do so in the future. Before that something else will come along.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I like how every thought-provoking thread has the same type of people you can't see past their own biased or fanboyism and/or turn to ageism to say someone is too young to understand.

Of course PC isn't "threaten" but it's to ignite conversation on when and what could cause such a threat.

You can be an avid PC gamer and still challenge/critique your platform.

Except neither PC nor PC gaming is "threatened" here, if anything its the x86 architeture specifically that is.

You don't get to make a misleading/clickbait title then turn around and complain about the kind of comments you're getting.

Last edited:
Ah yes, my new favourite glue-sniffers, the "M1 is rEv0lutiARY" crowd. If only their tiny little brains could think past what their owner lets them maybe they'd understand why the strength of the platform is in open access & backwards compatibility rather than the collar Apple puts on them and enslaves them to their ecosystem. And all that for what? So you can overpay for tiny ppw benefits? Absolute morons. I guess they're the reason why selling yourself into bondage had to be made illegal. Some people just want to be owned.

As for ARM as a whole, we'll see. So far nothing has really panned out in the way it's been hyped as disrupting the x86 ecospace. Okay, they do well for specific supercomputer projects (but still not besting x86), but so does IBM, and also - who cares? Are you the government & planning to buy one? Totally irrelevant for people.

In the really long run I'd put more faith in RISC-V simply due to geopolitical reasons, but again unlikely to really mean much for the regular Joe & Janes of the world.

Arm is already better than any x86 CPU, and that performance gap will only keep increasing with time. x86 is essentially over and only living off of compatibility.

dano1

A Sheep

Of course the PC will always be more powerful!! But the point is for gaming the graphics are pretty damn close. And one of the best looking games PC included is on the PS5. PS5 and XSX are easily the best deals in gaming.

iHaunter

You mean the 1 Sony exclusive and 3 Nintendo exclusives every year? Out of every game that is released to market?

I mean, come on. Be serious.
You are fucking delusional. Games like Animal Crossing being considered the desired exclusive is the exact reason I sold my worthless console. This shit is for children.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why do you think Nvidia aquired ARM? They know the trend and they are going to make sure the PC gaming area migration to it is controlled by them.

Top Bottom