• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artists on Neogaf - showcase your art

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Would be better if you guys made a thread to discuss if AI is art. This one is getting derailed far from its purpose.

Maybe other users would chime in on that thread too.
First of all, thanks Toots Toots for speaking something relative here. I'm not here to step on toes but, I have friends using AI art programs to screw around just as I have. They're not artists by reason of implementation. And to define what art is: that definition is broad and unique to the individual. Most of us define art without a dictionary definition but by our own likes/tastes. Me, for instance, I'm a fan a traditional hand-drawn animation and comics. I love to look at oil or acrylic paintings but, I'm an awful painter as you can see here. But, you'll also notice this watercolor painting was not something I could do in one day. It took several weeks and additional detail and changes made before I put it down.

kanjobazooie kanjobazooie mentioned discussion. Many great artists who were in this thread and I'm sure they're still running. Rather than have it be a now and then thread; maybe it'd be better to have the discussion in Communities. And yes, non-artists have a right to discuss art. You don't have to create art to love it, buy it or support artists. Look at the Random Image Thread. I imagine many posting there have a great appreciation for art.

Some DnD commissions i've done in the past :

LIbaRkf.jpg
9LitOpX.jpg

k4vAPi2.jpg

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

These are ooooold. Working as a pro 3d artist has dulled my imagination a bit, so I need to dust off my sketchpad and try and get my mojo back at some stage :)
Judge Anderson fan art (2008)
ISCbNwQ.jpg

ZBrush sculpt (2008-ish)

NMViINk.jpg
pnHS2zu.jpg
ZHNLYTh.jpg
RjCWzsX.jpg
MSF9YXt.jpg

Beyonce "toon"
Col-erase pencil on cartridge paper
SXxoY5g.jpg

Scanned and coloured in Photoshop (version 7, I think, wanted to test out the chalk brushes for a more painterly/rough feel)

tbYaHnX.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
These are ooooold. Working as a pro 3d artist has dulled my imagination a bit, so I need to dust off my sketchpad and try and get my mojo back at some stage :)
Judge Anderson fan art (2008)
ISCbNwQ.jpg

ZBrush sculpt (2008-ish)

NMViINk.jpg
pnHS2zu.jpg
ZHNLYTh.jpg
RjCWzsX.jpg
MSF9YXt.jpg

Beyonce "toon"
Col-erase pencil on cartridge paper
SXxoY5g.jpg

Scanned and coloured in Photoshop (version 7, I think, wanted to test out the chalk brushes for a more painterly/rough feel)

tbYaHnX.jpg
Great work there. Were the above renderings your original models?

Family back in the States pulled out some of my old sketch books and sent me a bunch of random pencil/pen drawings I make in high school (prepping for media arts & animation back then)
Te7HAHS.jpg

Storyboard & comic instructor asked everyone to create an 'original character' in 3-minutes and then hand up front. That's where this one came from around 2003.

E5svjD7.jpg

[Untitled character / character model poses]. This one's from about 2002 and was from a sheet of model poses for an older character I made back in 1999. It never made beyond this stage to being drafted into a running character.

LocNwSk.jpg

Doesn't look like much but this one's from about 2000. My younger sister made a cartoon which was nameless and abandoned it after one comic. I picked it back up and threw this lazily-drawn card for the comic. There were about 5 comics made on this character but I don't think the name was as generic as 'Couch Potato'.

NFBEi2q.jpg

Drawn out of boredom in middle school. Probably around '98 or '99.

Uuthm93.jpg

Another one drawn out of boredom in middle school around '99. There was a fellow comic artist in the class who was a twin. He was really disgusted by zitty, greasy fat people. I drew this and recall him asking me to destroy this or another one like it.

SirTerry-T

Great work there. Were the above renderings your original models?

Family back in the States pulled out some of my old sketch books and sent me a bunch of random pencil/pen drawings I make in high school (prepping for media arts & animation back then)
Te7HAHS.jpg

Storyboard & comic instructor asked everyone to create an 'original character' in 3-minutes and then hand up front. That's where this one came from around 2003.

E5svjD7.jpg

[Untitled character / character model poses]. This one's from about 2002 and was from a sheet of model poses for an older character I made back in 1999. It never made beyond this stage to being drafted into a running character.

LocNwSk.jpg

Doesn't look like much but this one's from about 2000. My younger sister made a cartoon which was nameless and abandoned it after one comic. I picked it back up and threw this lazily-drawn card for the comic. There were about 5 comics made on this character but I don't think the name was as generic as 'Couch Potato'.

NFBEi2q.jpg

Drawn out of boredom in middle school. Probably around '98 or '99.

Uuthm93.jpg

Another one drawn out of boredom in middle school around '99. There was a fellow comic artist in the class who was a twin. He was really disgusted by zitty, greasy fat people. I drew this and recall him asking me to destroy this or another one like it.
Cheers :)
Yes pal, the Judge Anderson was created during my downtime while working on the second 50 Cent game. I was going for a collectible statue approach rather than a "game" asset. Must revisit it one day now that 3d printers are a thing!

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Cheers :)
Yes pal, the Judge Anderson was created during my downtime while working on the second 50 Cent game. I was going for a collectible statue approach rather than a "game" asset. Must revisit it one day now that 3d printers are a thing!
The models can be rendered with several engineering software apps (including CAD). You'd know more than I about feeding the data in with intent to produce this as a model / statue. I haven't made any new character models for nearly 18-years as I left for a career in business. If the salary was there to return to animation, comics or media arts as a career; I'd switch in a heartbeat. People simply don't seem interested in the models anymore because most are already made. In game development this is always a point of innovation. In animation (TV, internet etc), most studios still follow the old Filmation format of re-using the same models over and over because they're trendy. Anyway, those one-off ideas I had may pop up every now and here in the forums.

Thanks for sharing yours and make sure you get rights protection on those too. AI, search engines and others are 'borrowing' models like this and publishing without permission. My Dad's a recreational photographer but professional grade (with a few awards under his belt). He saw his photos in a local café one day and politely discussed this with the owners. It did alert him to get the appropriate rights protection on his work. Worth the investment as others are making money of our work...well, probably won't make much off of mine = P

Toons

Banned
This brings me back… the character..and the pencil coloring
Haha thanks, I actually didn't know much about him in my younger years but watched some of the episodes as an adult and still enjoy it. Got to talk to jim Cummings who plays the character about it and he's still fond of him as well

SirTerry-T

The models can be rendered with several engineering software apps (including CAD). You'd know more than I about feeding the data in with intent to produce this as a model / statue. I haven't made any new character models for nearly 18-years as I left for a career in business. If the salary was there to return to animation, comics or media arts as a career; I'd switch in a heartbeat. People simply don't seem interested in the models anymore because most are already made. In game development this is always a point of innovation. In animation (TV, internet etc), most studios still follow the old Filmation format of re-using the same models over and over because they're trendy. Anyway, those one-off ideas I had may pop up every now and here in the forums.

Thanks for sharing yours and make sure you get rights protection on those too. AI, search engines and others are 'borrowing' models like this and publishing without permission. My Dad's a recreational photographer but professional grade (with a few awards under his belt). He saw his photos in a local café one day and politely discussed this with the owners. It did alert him to get the appropriate rights protection on his work. Worth the investment as others are making money of our work...well, probably won't make much off of mine = P
Yep. I very rarely post work online now, even work stuff. I'm a pen and paper guy at heart so if and when I produce work I will stick to the good old fashioned "analogue" way :)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yep. I very rarely post work online now, even work stuff. I'm a pen and paper guy at heart so if and when I produce work I will stick to the good old fashioned "analogue" way :)
I studied 3D eons ago when I was in school for animation but wasn't great at it. I believe you also have to want to make it work to do so. I grew up with influences so largely in cel painted animation and hand-drawn inked comics; so I could never pull it off. I did 3D animation tests of shapes with basic textures bouncing in a grid lol. If you do 3D print the above work someday. Post it here. Like I said, get that stuff right protected first if you haven't already.

Toots

Gold Member
Never studied art.. but watch anime. Lol
i do enjoy collecting art books. Dragon Crown art book. Street fighter art books.
YOu can grasp movement from anime (if you're already talented) but you cannot learn shadows like the one you do watching anime
You never ever studied drawing, or anything related ? Because you have talent your black and white work looks like bastien vivès (only talking about art of course, since the dude is a pretty disgusting individual otherwise)
mF9gpIA.jpg

Actually what you do looks even better than some of his official panels for lastman, his most known work (i think) !

Renoir

YOu can grasp movement from anime (if you're already talented) but you cannot learn shadows like the one you do watching anime
You never ever studied drawing, or anything related ? Because you have talent your black and white work looks like bastien vivès (only talking about art of course, since the dude is a pretty disgusting individual otherwise)
mF9gpIA.jpg

Actually what you do looks even better than some of his official panels for lastman, his most known work (i think) !
thanks.
Naw never studied. Maybe I should have. My proportions and perspective need some work.
is last man any good? I remeber is was made by the people that made peepeedoo.. so i didnt look much into it

Toots

Gold Member
thanks.
Naw never studied. Maybe I should have. My proportions and perspective need some work.
is last man any good? I remeber is was made by the people that made peepeedoo.. so i didnt look much into it
I read a few tomes years ago as it was in my municipal library, it was fine, they manage well to intrigue you. with mystery elements but i don't know if the payoff for those are good i only read three or four. And yes the dude doing this is a goddam sexual deviant of the worst kind... It really was only about the drawing style similitude :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Also there's no need for you to study, if you're this good without studying why bother ?
You could always perfect your techniques by taking course if you want, but you don't really need it.

Well done

Thanks, the animation is not perfect in spots, and it is not really 'HD' because I am making the whole thing in the Opentoonz editor at once. But I can upscale it to higher resolutions in the software.

I started January 4th 2024, not long after Steamboat Willie went public domain. I would work on it for a few hours each day. I am tracing the animation over the original, as a study. I have made quite a few short animations at this point using this software. I am painting the backgrounds myself.

OpenToonz was once commercial software used by Studio Ghibli and even the show Futurama used this software as well. But it went opensource in 2016.

SUJyrE7.png

CGNoire

Thanks, the animation is not perfect in spots, and it is not really 'HD' because I am making the whole thing in the Opentoonz editor at once. But I can upscale it to higher resolutions in the software.

I started January 4th 2024, not long after Steamboat Willie went public domain. I would work on it for a few hours each day. I am tracing the animation over the original, as a study. I have made quite a few short animations at this point using this software. I am painting the backgrounds myself.

OpenToonz was once commercial software used by Studio Ghibli and even the show Futurama used this software as well. But it went opensource in 2016.

SUJyrE7.png
Ah.. I am familar with OpenToonz. I am also a Traditiinal Animation Romantic. I mess around in TVPaint a raster tool like Openz.Maybe if your willing too you could share with us some of your painted BKrnds... when ready of course? Id like to see them.

Last edited:

Renoir

SUJyrE7.png
nice. im always curious on what programs are being used for animations. I used the photoshop animation tool or recently the procreate animation tool . I did see they made a stand alone app for animation. I wonder how good is that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom