• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: CLOUD GAMING CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO REPLACE LOCAL GAMING!!!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Xbox One reveal event took place in May 2013, one month before E3. In that one month, they got raked through the coals for their always-online policies and they went defcon-1 trying to reverse everything as fast as possible. They never had a chance to explain or show how anything they had planned was going to work.
Right, MS of all companies... radio silent. You can't shut them up any other time, especially when negative attention goes their way. They are instant to stifle that shit.

The original reveal mentioned NONE of the consumer benefits to this "vision." That is the very time you sell them on it. In my eyes, it was pure backpedal since it took them so long to even say, "this is what it would have been."

Seemed more like a CYA thinktank checklist they formulated well after, since it came well after. But now, we are being conditioned more and more of always online, cloud gaming, blah blah, without even the 2013 backpedal benefits, lol. All companies are doing this now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The Xbox One reveal event took place in May 2013, one month before E3. In that one month, they got raked through the coals for their always-online policies and they went defcon-1 trying to reverse everything as fast as possible. They never had a chance to explain or show how anything they had planned was going to work.

I don't buy that. This is the same Microsoft that claimed Kinect was as integral to Xbox One as the controller and thus, could not be removed. Until....they removed it. So saying after the fact that being able to resell digital licenses was going to be a part of it sounds like a "see? this is what you could have had" sour grapes line.

Last edited:
My dislike for cloud gaming comes from the overhype and from the unrealistic expectation of people that think it's going to take over any day now. Cloud will remain more niche that playing games natively for a long time still.

It's ok when it works and sometimes it makes sense to play a game like that but there is absolutely nothing exciting about it.

People that jump to the conclusion that everything will inevitably be done trough stream ignore that technology isn't that predictable and that everything is evolving not just streaming technology.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My dislike for cloud gaming comes from the overhype and from the unrealistic expectation of people that think it's going to take over any day now. Cloud will remain more niche that playing games natively for a long time still.

It's ok when it works and sometimes it makes sense to play a game like that but there is absolutely nothing exciting about it.

People that jump to the conclusion that everything will inevitably be done trough stream ignore that technology isn't that predictable and that everything is evolving not just streaming technology.
Well, supply chain issues are not going to get any better in the foreseeable future. If it becomes the norm...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The industry has shown time and time again since the horse armor, that slipper slopes is not a fallacy. If they can sell people on the "infinite power computing of the cloud" just buy a controller with a sub, get enough "dumbing down more convenience" on board, an not have to spend billions on consumer R&D boxes... they will jump on that ultimate DRM of you owning nothing and like it faster than you can blink. They tried a similar flex in 2013, and yet now they are doing the death by 1,000 cuts of that very vision each and every year.

It's best we keep having these conversations in the forefront, that this should only be a side option, a distance side option to native box play.

Nah, that is what they came out to damage control well after the E3 debacle. If that was their true intent, that would have been an on stage E3 bullet point. It wasn't.

Size of the SOC is a big factor.
Look if they're gonna do it...they're gonna do it. It's the same with these P2W games. The likelihood is that we are trending towards, if not already being, a minority when it comes to this. Games companies are looking at mobile, they are seeing what Tencent is doing and they want a piece. A big piece. They see that casual gamers will spend frivolously on mobile and what is cloud other than a gateway to mobile. I think one thing they will find is that the casual gamer will be the make up of their cloud initiative's audience, but that shit worked for the Wii. I think they want the casual gamer and they want to FOCUS on them.

Does this mean consoles go away? It is possible and I agree we should be vigilant, but they can't justify cloud currently for certain types of games, as I mentioned originally. Xbox's new cloud tech is still dependent on many other factors than just that tech. You still need a decent connection, for example. I just hope these companies don't forget who got them where they are in the first place. I've since mainly moved on to PC, but I still have interest in the consoles. If for no other reason, to be able to own something. So I definitely agree with you about the importance of that.

What I'm also seeing is increasingly greedy companies and their investors needing to figure out the best way to reach that next plateau. It's come via loot boxes and P2W, NTX as you said, subscriptions and it's quickly going to mobile for at least Microsoft. The question becomes, can they walk and chew gum...or maybe more accurately, do they want to walk and chew gum. In other words, will consoles remain as important as they always have been while branching out to these other audiences. I know Phil has had some comments on this. How much weight that has....ehhhhh...stay vigilant.

MacReady13

If it does take over it's the end of gaming for me. I'll just replace it with another hobby.
Same here my friend. I cannot wrap my head around anyone not wanting to own what they pay for! Especially with gaming! The input lag is horrendous as well. I'll stick to gaming on local hardware. Day that dies is the day I kiss gaming goodbye.

Look if they're gonna do it...they're gonna do it. It's the same with these P2W games. The likelihood is that we are trending towards, if not already being, a minority when it comes to this. Games companies are looking at mobile, they are seeing what Tencent is doing and they want a piece. A big piece. They see that casual gamers will spend frivolously on mobile and what is cloud other than a gateway to mobile. I think one thing they will find is that the casual gamer will be the make up of their cloud initiative's audience, but that shit worked for the Wii. I think they want the casual gamer and they want to FOCUS on them.

Does this mean consoles go away? It is possible and I agree we should be vigilant, but they can't justify cloud currently for certain types of games, as I mentioned originally. Xbox's new cloud tech is still dependent on many other factors than just that tech. You still need a decent connection, for example. I just hope these companies don't forget who got them where they are in the first place. I've since mainly moved on to PC, but I still have interest in the consoles. If for no other reason, to be able to own something. So I definitely agree with you about the importance of that.

What I'm also seeing is increasingly greedy companies and their investors needing to figure out the best way to reach that next plateau. It's come via loot boxes and P2W, NTX as you said, subscriptions and it's quickly going to mobile for at least Microsoft. The question becomes, can they walk and chew gum...or maybe more accurately, do they want to walk and chew gum. In other words, will consoles remain as important as they always have been while branching out to these other audiences. I know Phil has had some comments on this. How much weight that has....ehhhhh...stay vigilant.
All that trouble and investment just to get destroyed by PUBG Mobile, Free Fire, Genshin Impact, Mobile Legends Bang Bang and the likes.

Casuals already got what they want and what they want and they'll be the last one to see the benefit of running something over the could and playing with a controller when they can already play using their phones and touchscreen.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What does that have to do with anything? The demand for local hardware is so big that cloud will take over?
If supply chain issues become the norm, they can't produce enough and may fall into the red of R&D sunk costs... swaying them into more cloud/streaming investment, instead of consumer products they can't produce enough of like they once could. Shrinking said market.

Seizing the means of production, focusing all those resources into their boxless infrastructures instead.

If supply chain issues become the norm, they can't produce enough and may fall into the red of R&D sunk costs... swaying them into more cloud/streaming investment, instead of consumer products they can't produce enough of like they once could. Shrinking said market.

Seizing the means of production, focusing all those resources into their boxless infrastructures instead.
Consoles are selling better than ever when you combine all of them. Cloud is still hardly a blimp in the radar and it pretty much already works. For $1 you can start playing on XCloud and so far it just hasn't proven itself disruptive in anyway, that's hardly what you would expect about a technology that will take over everything.

Do you think the broad public cares about input delay and degraded image quality? You think they are waiting for these things to be improved to jump into cloud gaming? Nope, the truth is they don't care about about console games and the people that care about them are fine buying the hardware.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Consoles are selling better than ever when you combine all of them. Cloud is still hardly a blimp in the radar and it pretty much already works. For $1 you can start playing on XCloud and so far it just hasn't proven itself disruptive in anyway, that's hardly what you would expect about a technology that will take over everything.

Do you think the broad public cares about input delay and degraded image quality? You think they are waiting for these things to be improved to jump into cloud gaming? Nope, the truth is they don't care about about console games and the people that care about them are fine buying the hardware.
Yeah, no shit.

Supply chains on the other hand.

My goodness. I swear, people stop at the first few words instead of comprehending the entire post. I am using a hypothetical that has the potential of being real, based on our current global reality.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
All that trouble and investment just to get destroyed by PUBG Mobile, Free Fire, Genshin Impact, Mobile Legends Bang Bang and the likes.

Casuals already got what they want and what they want and they'll be the last one to see the benefit of running something over the could and playing with a controller when they can already play using their phones and touchscreen.
There's also a long shot ace that can be played. Namely, the law. Europe seems to be of the mind that these loot box games should be banned. Should that same policy enter the US market, then that pretty much wins the day. It doesn't stop MTX, but they will be cosmetic only...which honestly I'm ok with. It's why I play the ever living shit out of Path of Exile. They do you right for a F2P game. Content is consistent, MTX runs spectrum from dirt cheap to crazily expensive...but in the end, the player knows what they're getting and you at least can feel some sense that the developer and publisher respects the customer.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The whole reason I was pushed to the cloud was the unavailable GPU's. So perhaps, supply chain issues are pretty true. Otherwise, I fully was going to invest into a local PC.
I'm telling you, if I didn't have a 3080, I would probably cave or at least try out the service. If I am unable to secure a 4series at a reasonable price... then more than likely I will try a top 4series tier, since you know they will upgrade them to that.

Things that make you go hmmm 🤔

There's also a long shot ace that can be played. Namely, the law. Europe seems to be of the mind that these loot box games should be banned. Should that same policy enter the US market, then that pretty much wins the day. It doesn't stop MTX, but they will be cosmetic only...which honestly I'm ok with. It's why I play the ever living shit out of Path of Exile. They do you right for a F2P game. Content is consistent, MTX runs spectrum from dirt cheap to crazily expensive...but in the end, the player knows what they're getting and you at least can feel some sense that the developer and publisher respects the customer.
I hate how every F2P game turns into a clown show even if it's cosmetic only. To me it's just the nature of these living games even if they are good at some point they'll likely become shitty over time.

I don't have a single positive experience with these live service games now that I think about it, dating back to when I played the original WoW. You can only change something so many times until you completely lose your way and ruin it. When people complain that a certain multiplayer game isn't getting enough content or that they don't have things to unlock it goes completely over my head because I don't relate to it at all.

That feeling when you want to get back into a game you used to play and when you open it you realize it's a completely different game and you have no idea what is going on.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I hate how every F2P game turns into a clown show even it's cosmetic only. To me it's just the nature of these living games even if they are good at some point they'll likely become shitty over time.

I don't have a single positive experience with these live service games now that I think about it, dating back even to when I played WoW. You can only change something so many times until you completely lose your way.
If you like Diablo, play Path of Exile. Vastly superior games. Tons of content...ALL FREE. You pay for cosmetics which can span from character costumes, cosmetics that change the look of certain attacks, "stash tabs" to help organize loot, etc.

Warframe treads the line, but I still feel the MTX in the game is fair. They are MOSTLY cosmetic and convenience based. I don't think Warframe is a clown show. They also continually bring out content that is completely free.

Warzone.....ehhhhhhh....it's questionable. Fortnite. High quality, completely cosmetic. I don't really play anymore. I really liked the co-op game mode personally.

If you like Diablo, play Path of Exile. Vastly superior games. Tons of content...ALL FREE. You pay for cosmetics which can span from character costumes, cosmetics that change the look of certain attacks, "stash tabs" to help organize loot, etc.

Warframe treads the line, but I still feel the MTX in the game is fair. They are MOSTLY cosmetic and convenience based. I don't think Warframe is a clown show. They also continually bring out content that is completely free.

Warzone.....ehhhhhhh....it's questionable. Fortnite. High quality, completely cosmetic. I don't really play anymore. I really liked the co-op game mode personally.
I played Dota2 and too me cosmetics pretty much destroyed the game (indirectly), same thing that happened to TF2.

Last edited:

Fahdis

I'm telling you, if I didn't have a 3080, I would probably cave or at least try out the service. If I am unable to secure a 4series at a reasonable price... then more than likely I will try a top 4series tier, since you know they will upgrade them to that.

Things that make you go hmmm 🤔

When the 3080 Tier didn't exist, being a GFN Founder I felt the Premium Tier was ass. 3080 changed it all for me. Went from just playing a game sometimes to literally finishing a few games on the new Tier because it looks unbelievably local even if its not true 1 to 1. You have to try it to believe it on the Shield. I couldn't really believe the quality to payment ratio since I pay $90 for it instead of a $100. The 4 Tier series will probably push bitrates, a new Shield TV based on it, better AI DLSS implementation over stream and Nvidia Reflex for anyone who can afford to put it in their games. God of War feels 10x better when I first played it on PS4 Pro. Plus finally true 4K will also be achieveable with the new 4K series.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
You don't think they will upgrade the instances as time goes by? 🤣 And its basically 4 years of cost for a full 3080 and by that time we should be on brand new cards.
I have no idea what their plans are, and neither do you.

If you think ~£180 a year for an inferior gaming experience where you own no hardware is a great deal...well I'm sure Nvidia will love sucking your funds for the foreseeable future 😅

Fahdis

I have no idea what their plans are, and neither do you.

If you think ~£180 a year for an inferior gaming experience where you own no hardware is a great deal...well I'm sure Nvidia will love sucking your funds for the foreseeable future 😅

You have no idea what you're talking about in terms of "inferior experience" on a subjective level. What are your PC specs? What level of GFN tier have you used? Half speaks are literally disingenuous when I know the pros and cons of both. And its inevitable. You'd be kinda naive to think they wouldn't offer their 4K cards with this generation of threadrippers.

Hezekiah

Banned
You have no idea what you're talking about in terms of "inferior experience" on a subjective level. What are your PC specs? What level of GFN tier have you used? Half speaks are literally disingenuous when I know the pros and cons of both. And its inevitable. You'd be kinda naive to think they wouldn't offer their 4K cards with this generation of threadrippers.
You really think the 3080 tier compares to having 3080 desktop, or even a 3070. It's the best of the bunch but still suffers in terms of lag and image quality/compression.

I have a bridge to sell you 😄😄

Fahdis

You really think the 3080 tier compares to having 3080 desktop, or even a 3070. It's the best of the bunch but still suffers in terms of lag and image quality/compression.

You didn't answer my questions. Hence, consider you shady 😂. Infact, yes it is superior in aspects outside of Bandwidth and Clockspeeds where RTX 3080 is better but where the A10G has double the VRAM along with a banger Multi-Core CPU that is still as good as the i9-12900K minus single core performance. And again, as I said, you have no idea what you're talking about the "looks". Keep your wishful thinking though about the "inferior experience". Sure Local is definitely better, but I'd give it a level of 10% better.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Well....I tried it and it is comparable. Not 100%, but Fahdis Fahdis is not wrong.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Motion Controls are a hit! Everyone tries to move to family friendly and motion controlled content. Almost everyone failed. Go back to square 1.
WoW makes billions, everyone wants to jump into that pile. Almost everyone failed. Go back to square 1.
Nintendo makes bank. Everyone tries to create their own consoles. Most failed. Back to square 1.

This happens time and time again. Most games aren’t following or pushing for that mobile market. Or the streaming market. Or the NFT market. The few that do almost all fail, aside for one or two that manage to get that golden goose.

This is reality, this is how the gaming industry (and entertainment industry in general) has always worked. It isn’t going to change and we aren’t suddenly going to see a bunch of pay to win games or streaming platforms as being the norm.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you were so concerned about the best for consumers, you wouldn’t be supporting arguments here that are adamantly against gaming when away from consoles or the ability to game without spending hundreds of dollars on a new console.

Back to your lack of trust, one would imagine that a service where owned games constantly vanish would receive immense consumer backlash. We also have precedence here where pretty much every console/PC digital download service allows you to download delisted games from your library. Or at least provide refunds when that isn’t possible.

cloud streaming isn’t billed to replace at home console gaming. It seems a bit weird for people to be stridently opposed to a convenient option.

Most of us aren't opposed to cloud streaming as an option. We are against the people that say cloud gaming will be the only option and it'll be forced on us.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, supply chain issues are not going to get any better in the foreseeable future. If it becomes the norm...

This is where more and more western companies are starting to diversify their manufacturing locations. Sony, Tesla, etc are all doing it for good reason.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Are you sure you'll get physics, node distance, server processing, home wifi signals and home wifi processing speed etc. onboard with that notion within the near future? IDK, it's not a rebuttal, I'm just asking.

What filthy animals use wifi? It won’t happen tomorrow, but it will get there eventually.

20 years ago if you told someone you could play a game with real-life like graphics in the palm of your hand anywhere in the world they would of laughed at you and commited you to the psych ward, now we’re down to input lag being the biggest tech issue with it.

(Ownership / rental issues aside) not that anyone needs to worry, this is just another medium physical isn’t going anywhere for quite a long time yet for another 20 years or so.

The people accelerating this? All the people who buy digital. You buy digital you only have yourself to blame as you already own nothing.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
You didn't answer my questions. Hence, consider you shady 😂. Infact, yes it is superior in aspects outside of Bandwidth and Clockspeeds where RTX 3080 is better but where the A10G has double the VRAM along with a banger Multi-Core CPU that is still as good as the i9-12900K minus single core performance. And again, as I said, you have no idea what you're talking about the "looks". Keep your wishful thinking though about the "inferior experience". Sure Local is definitely better, but I'd give it a level of 10% better.
The experience you get from the 3080 tier of GeFroce Now does not compare to the 3080 desktop experience. That's one of the dumbest statements I've seen on this forum lol.

You sound absolutely clueless, maybe it's time to find a new hobby 😅

Fahdis

The experience you get from the 3080 tier of GeFroce Now does not compare to the 3080 desktop experience. That's one of the dumbest statements I've seen on this forum lol.

You sound absolutely clueless, maybe it's time to find a new hobby 😅

I did not claim that, you have reading comprehension issues, are myopic as shit and a complete and utter tool because you a) Haven't tried the service b) Didn't answer my questions.

You can go be a delinquent elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The industry has shown time and time again since the horse armor, that slipper slopes is not a fallacy. If they can sell people on the "infinite power computing of the cloud" just buy a controller with a sub, get enough "dumbing down more convenience" on board, an not have to spend billions on consumer R&D boxes... they will jump on that ultimate DRM of you owning nothing and like it faster than you can blink. They tried a similar flex in 2013, and yet now they are doing the death by 1,000 cuts of that very vision each and every year.

It's best we keep having these conversations in the forefront, that this should only be a side option, a distance side option to native box play.

How are you turning a discussion about cloud gaming into another jibe at xbox? 😂

Console cloud gaming will always be run on console hardware. There’s no getting away from spending tons of money on R&D. You’ll need standardized hardware and standardized devkits.

Thanks to competition, it’s unlikely any of the parties in the console space will pivot to any position that will alienate gamers.

Why would anyone want cloud streaming to be a ‘distant side option’?

Imagine paying your hard earned cash to a GFX company to have them EMULATE a high-end gaming PC experience, 100% quality dependent on your own internet connection. Guys, it's a scam.

Perhaps because the alternative is spending $1000+ on building a gaming PC? Or having your PC gaming tied 100% to your hardware at home, vs being able to access your library remotely?

Not sure you’ve used the word ‘emulate’ properly there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How are you turning a discussion about cloud gaming into another jibe at xbox? 😂
A lot of cloud streaming naysayers (not only on here, but in the SM gaming twittard sphere) loathed the idea of it, until their favorite brand did it of course.

It's not a "jibe" to mention things they tried to do, and continue to do. All tech companies are guilty of this. It will be okay, MS isn't as sensitive as you are over themselves.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Perhaps because the alternative is spending $1000+ on building a gaming PC? Or having your PC gaming tied 100% to your hardware at home, vs being able to access your library remotely?

Not sure you’ve used the word ‘emulate’ properly there.
You can access your library remotely without paying anyone with Steam, Moonlight, etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
A lot of cloud streaming naysayers (not only on here, but in the SM gaming twittard sphere) loathed the idea of it, until their favorite brand did it of course.

It's not a "jibe" to mention things they tried to do, and continue to do. All tech companies are guilty of this. It will be okay, MS isn't as sensitive as you are over themselves.

Cloud streaming is being pushed by Amazon, Google, Nvidia, Sony and Microsoft. Boiling it down to Xbox and E3 2013 makes no sense.

See, this is the problem I have with this thread. Much of it makes assumptions that don’t really work. Like the endless debates over ‘ownership’ when the models pushed by the different cloud services are so different...including some like Geforce Now where you play your owned library of games. Or the repeated claims that Cloud gaming proponents are out to replace native hardware at home when there’s no one pushing for that outcome. And when that outcome is extremely unlikely.

Ozriel

M$FT
No and I am not condemning any streaming tech.

I may have jumped to conclusions, but you did interject in a discussion I was having with someone who sees no need for playing PC games remotely over the internet.

Glad we’re on the same page

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I did not claim that, you have reading comprehension issues, are myopic as shit and a complete and utter tool because you a) Haven't tried the service b) Didn't answer my questions.

You can go be a delinquent elsewhere.
Yeah you started blabbering about stuff outside of the day-to-day experience, and then pulled the 10% figure out of your arse.

You're exactly the type of consumer Nvidia loves - naive and dumb 😎

Hezekiah

Banned
Imagine paying your hard earned cash to a GFX company to have them EMULATE a high-end gaming PC experience, 100% quality dependent on your own internet connection. Guys, it's a scam.
£180 a year to play your Steam/EGS library quality with noticeable lag and reduced image quality.

But some mugs will claim it's a good alternative 😅

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I may have jumped to conclusions, but you did interject in a discussion I was having with someone who sees no need for playing PC games remotely over the internet.

Glad we’re on the same page
I fail to see where that person wrote anything like that.

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, there are those who love Microsoft and endorse everything they do. Sony and Nintendo have die-hard fans as well. Nothing really wrong with that. But yes, it is quite noticeable that cloud streaming is very popular among the Xbox crowd. I don't think that is a controversial statement. It just is what it is.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah, there are those who love Microsoft and endorse everything they do. Sony and Nintendo have die-hard fans as well. Nothing really wrong with that. But yes, it is quite noticeable that cloud streaming is very popular among the Xbox crowd. I don't think that is a controversial statement. It just is what it is.

It isn’t rocket science to expect that as more people try cloud streaming, popularity rises.

Let’s not reduce this to consoles and console fanbases. GeForce Now and Stadia have equally driven increased interest in cloud streaming in recent years.

Topher

Gold Member
It isn’t rocket science to expect that as more people try cloud streaming, popularity rises.

Let’s not reduce this to consoles and console fanbases. GeForce Now and Stadia have equally driven increased interest in cloud streaming in recent years.

It is just an observation, but yeah.....don't want to derail the thread into console war nonsense so I agree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom