• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: CLOUD GAMING CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO REPLACE LOCAL GAMING!!!

Fahdis

1. No one believes that every gamer needs\wants to buy a console within it's 1st launch year. Consoles and GPUs drop in price all the time.
2. Gamers that want to play games, but think spending a few hundred bucks on hardware is too much "SHOULDN'T" be these video game company's main target audience.
3. Losing access to games "HAS" to be a bigger inconvenience, than paying a few hundred dollars for hardware.

Going back to the whole PC gaming is dead was perpetually because Consoles were far ahead in Exclusives and Power as well 10 years ago. Think we started seeing a dramatic shift in PC gaming by the end of the PS3/360 generation. But at the same time 5 years ago it was also the end of the console generation? Lol.

1. By then most arent interested except for PC gamers in terms of affordability. Yea, consoles then become affordable to the 3rd world.
2. Yikes. Spoken like a true elitist. C'mon man, you're better than this.
3. Where did you get this gem?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They don't understand the convenience. I don't like Stadia one bit because they are late to the party or too early with their business model. Luna is keeping its mouth shut. PS Now and XCloud are still building their infrastructure but so far they are inferior to PC. GFN, a service that fixes all the issues these people are talking about is literally slid under:

- Latency (play on the Free tiers with Queues and complain about it)
- Artifacts (again playing on the shittiest tier)
- True Ownership (an actual non-issue when even on physical we ever only own the license)
- No Mods (if Steam Workshop allows it, it works)
- Game preservation (this I agree with)

But are ready to dismiss:

- Latency in Consoles when its already in ms terms and usually on par with the Cloud and even on PC the edge is only 1/2 more
- Low Cost Barrier of Entry
- 90% of the Gamer Crowd is Casual
- True Mobility of Playing on any Device if the environment is optimal
- Infrastructure will probably expand in the future
- Hardware can break

GFN even on 3080 tier doesn't provide as crisp image quality as on consoles. I played AC: Origins the other day to compare after finishing the game on PS5. Not even close. But if you are going to throw out the GFN that "fixes everything" then why not bring up the cost? $200 a year for the tier that comes closest to consoles but still isn't as good. That is quite the price tag for renting a gaming PC remotely.

Going back to the whole PC gaming is dead was perpetually because Consoles were far ahead in Exclusives and Power as well 10 years ago. Think we started seeing a dramatic shift in PC gaming by the end of the PS3/360 generation. But at the same time 5 years ago it was also the end of the console generation? Lol.

Seriously? You told me no one thought PC gaming was dead and now you are giving reasons why people thought PC gaming was dead?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Do you live in America? I'm going to assume no. But if you do, I'm almost 100% sure you are black lol. Within the black community in America, there's a huge push for ownership at all levels. Because we now realize how much was stolen from us over America's 250-year history. So I'm shocked to see you say these things. Who are these people that don't care about owning anything?
I'm Latino and I live in California. I work as an accountant so most of my opinions are formed through a business mindset. I believe people as a whole value convenience over pretty much anything.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Yep, not to mention when Cyberpunk 2077 came out, the Stadia version was a superior version to the Xbox One and PS4 version lol.
Not only the PS4 and Xbox One but also a bunch of mid gen refresh or cheap next gen:

Stadia was humiliated by the One X the first year since it hasn't the same 4K quality and most games were barebone ports.
But once they took advantage of the powerful CPU, the gap was there...

In 2022, Stadians will have access to next gen only games aside Cyberpunk and Fifa 22.

Topher

Gold Member
Not only the PS4 and Xbox One but also a bunch of mid gen refresh or cheap next gen:

Stadia was humiliated by the One X the first year since it hasn't the same 4K quality and most games were barebone ports.
But once they took advantage of the powerful CPU, the gap was there...

In 2022, Stadians will have access to next gen only games aside Cyberpunk and Fifa 22.

What "next gen only games" will that be?

mckmas8808

Banned

1. By then most arent interested except for PC gamers in terms of affordability. Yea, consoles then become affordable to the 3rd world.
2. Yikes. Spoken like a true elitist. C'mon man, you're better than this.
3. Where did you get this gem?

2. Not elitist at all. Just speaking the facts. Why would a corporation place priority on people that don't have a love or even a glancing thought of investing in video games? The keyword there is priority. Those type of gamers should play the back seat. They should be 4th or 5th on the list of people that matter.

3. 35 years of video gaming history tells me this. You cloud gaming recruits will need to prove that you're vision for the future is the correct one. It's not on me to prove to you that people like playing native games over cloud versions.

Fat Frog

Totally different. The convenience factor of not physically walking around with 200 CDs is different from "only" being able to stream a game. In some ways, cloud gaming can be less convenient.
Except, stream a game isn't just "stream a game" in terms of convenience.

Like Salty Popsicle Salty Popsicle said there is also:
- Not buying a 500€ console.(indeed, in the ancient world, price were decreasing after several years but welcome to the new world:
https://www.ign.com/articles/chip-s...5-xbox-series-x-gpus-supply-issues-2024?amp=1 )

- No download
- No update
- No need to buy an additional Series S to continue your game on the bedroom when your wife watches netflix on the Smart TV.(1 click and you switch you game session from TV1 to TV2 to smartphone to tablet to laptop)
- No need to bring your faaaat Series X in hollidays.
- No need to buy 5 times Fifa for your nephews and send the copies to 5 different adresses... You buy only 1 game for you and you can share it legally with 5 persons.

And cloud engineers are adding new features every months...

Dismissing cloud convenience is quite something... Seriously 😅

2. Not elitist at all. Just speaking the facts. Why would a corporation place priority on people that don't have a love or even a glancing thought of investing in video games? The keyword there is priority. Those type of gamers should play the back seat. They should be 4th or 5th on the list of people that matter.
There is a whole other thread on the front page of gaming GAF this very instant detailing how Apple Game Store rakes in more money each year than Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo combined. Those people don't buy consoles or pay $70 for the simple app games. If you get 100 people to invest in your ecosystem (console or streaming or in-between) and entice them with games with in-game purchases, that will bring in much more money than one "hardcore" gamer who purchases five to ten $70 game per year. Its not about how much one individual person is willing to spend, its about how many people you can amass as a whole.

Fat Frog

What "next gen only games" will that be?
Not many to be honest, mostly Ubi games like Avatar, Skull and Bones.

To be fair, 2022 was quite pathetic for now.
Nonetheless, Google is still hiring engineers for the Stadia Port Teams (they reduced the game development time, from months to weeks and they want to push it to hours so as big publishers come back without being paid, like Luna for Instance). They are also pushing click to play demos and soon on youtube for high virality)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Input lag will improve but ownership is the problem.
With clouds and service you pay for everything and own nothing

So what, you won't be able to play resident evil remake when you are in a wheelchair in 2055? Who cares. Ownership isn't a problem, it's an excuse to reject technology.
Technically we don't own the games anyhow, and they tend to be constantly improved or made irrelevant, or offered to play if you really need it.
If you really must play RE 3 remake #2 in 2045, just emulate it in superior form. Or rent it for the one day you need to play it every 30 years.
How many hours a day as an adult to do you have to play your 20 year old games?

As to the article, I don't see cloud service replacing local consoles unless they can get the lag under control, it's still too much.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Cloud gaming should only work in a subscription type of service

No way should it replace purchasable games, you don't own the game on cloud server.

rofif

Banned
So what, you won't be able to play resident evil remake when you are in a wheelchair in 2055? Who cares. Ownership isn't a problem, it's an excuse to reject technology.
Technically we don't own the games anyhow, and they tend to be constantly improved or made irrelevant, or offered to play if you really need it.
If you really must play RE 3 remake #2 in 2045, just emulate it in superior form. Or rent it for the one day you need to play it every 30 years.

As to the article, I don't see cloud service replacing local consoles unless they can get the lag under control, it's still too much.
At least I will be sitting there in my wheelchair and playing my old games.
While you will go by in your wheelchair with nothing to show for money spent in last 50 years :p
It's not about doing it. It's about being able to

Ev1L AuRoN

Inputlag will always be a problem, and it is a physical one. There is no way to fix it, we are going to get used to, maybe. Unless we invent a way for the signal to travel faster than light.

Cloud gaming could literally save every multiplayer game with regards to anti-cheat. However can't imagine that technology is able to keep up with competitive games any time soon where you're dealing with the tiniest of margins of input lag.

Would be amazing to one day play a first person shooter that you know for a fact has zero cheaters.
Competitive multiplayer is the very thing that will always put cloud gaming in check. It's easier to get rid of the cheaters.

Topher

Gold Member

While you will go by in your wheelchair with nothing to show for money spent in last 50 years :p

We need to make sure these two end up at the same old folks home.

Old Man Fighting GIF by Laff

Fat Frog

it will never replace local gaming. it just a cheaper alternative for people (is it really cheaper?)
I was looking for a way to play RDR2 and Cyberpunk with decent performances.

I paid Cyberpunk day 1 for 60 bucks (Chromecast and the controller were free with it) + 40 bucks for RDR2 =
100 bucks...

What are your solutions to pay less ?
(Don't propose me second hand base PS4 and xbox One, the later had 13 fps drop at launch, dynamic resolution drop below 720p and 1 minute complete slow motions)

I'm listening...

Topher

Gold Member
I was looking for a way to play RDR2 and Cyberpunk with decent performances.

I paid Cyberpunk day 1 for 60 bucks (Chromecast and the controller were free with it) + 40 bucks for RDR2 =
100 bucks...

What are your solutions to pay less ?
(Don't propose me second hand base PS4 and xbox One, the later had 13 fps drop at launch, dynamic resolution drop below 720p and 1 minute complete slow motions)

I'm listening...

Ok.....but then Elden Ring releases and you want to play that. Now what?

it will never replace local gaming. it just a cheaper alternative for people (is it really cheaper?)

Ultimately it depends. If someone doesn't play a lot of games and doesn't care about a limited selection then they could save money by using Stadia's free tier and just pay for the price of the game. Those who want more than that, but are willing to wait in line to play a game and only play one hour at a time can use GFN's free tier and again, just play for the price of the game. Anything above that is going to require a subscription which could cost $100 to $200 a year. Over a number of years, that is obviously going to add up and could cost more than what it costs for the purchase of a console.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

I'll just fire up my PC and emulate them all in superior fashion. So I will be able to, but easier, since I will be able to fit my collection on a flash drive, you will have had to have sold yours in a garage sale when you downsize to your condo.

Fat Frog

Ok.....but then Elden Ring releases and you want to play that. Now what?
Cloud gaming is cheaper but there are less games. Like i said, cloud is not magical, it's cheaper, it's more convenient but there is less choice, mediocre image for now.

To answer you question, i guess i would sub for Boosteroid or Shadow for 1 month from times to times 😆

You're going to need a very patient person at the ready to change your discs every time you get tired of playing one game and want to switch if you're wheelchair bound :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Meanwhile, the old man or woman using a streaming service can use a few button prompts or even an Alexa type device to switch up his games at the whim.

Fahdis

No.

No.

And fuck every loser that thinks like this.

Lmao, the only losers here are the ones clinging onto their nutsack hoping things don't ever change. Cheers! See you in a decade playing on the Cloud. People like you getting touchy over options make me laugh the most. And oh no, you used the F word. My feelings aren't hurt at all, I genuinly laughed.

GFN even on 3080 tier doesn't provide as crisp image quality as on consoles. I played AC: Origins the other day to compare after finishing the game on PS5. Not even close. But if you are going to throw out the GFN that "fixes everything" then why not bring up the cost? $200 a year for the tier that comes closest to consoles but still isn't as good. That is quite the price tag for renting a gaming PC remotely.

Seriously? You told me no one thought PC gaming was dead and now you are giving reasons why people thought PC gaming was dead?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I could have agreed with local hardware looking better with minimum artifacting on GFN, but the fact you called the PS5 version better than the PC one is absolutely hilarious in terms of Graphics Options alone 🤣. Also, what was your setup? What was your latency? Where did you play it the "other day"? .h264 on a regular stream or .h265 on a Shield TV? Better start making shit up.

Also, the hell are you on about? Reading comprehension much? I made no such claims.

3. 35 years of video gaming history tells me this. You cloud gaming recruits will need to prove that you're vision for the future is the correct one. It's not on me to prove to you that people like playing native games over cloud versions.

1. Why would corporations care about the most minimal of their supporters like you or I and not just go after the casual crowd? They make more money for them than us nitpickers as seen with the Apple thread. Perhaps the Switch proved that this gen and every GPU bought in a generation is usually the middle or low entry from the 3050 to 3070. Don't factor out affordability.

2. Fair enough. Let's see in a few decades.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You must have been a board member of Blockbuster that laughed at the idea of Netflix as it was being presented.
You're comparing a data stream that sends data into a player buffer and is played back.
This is exactly how Video works, years ago the internet speed wasn't a match for physical media.
Now it's passable.
But that's not how game streaming works, it's a live stream with interaction and companies can't even do a live stream presentation to the quality of a 720p video from 2006 to show off their latest games let alone the quality a game running natively on a console.
Despite all the advancements that hasn't changed since streaming started.
And I don't think it's gonna change anytime soon.

Kuranghi

I wrote this reply yesterday but its only getting to you now, simulating the absolute joy of streaming input lag.

I played Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus on PS Plus and while it is a 30fps game that already had less than stellar input lag natively on PS3 it really was a chore to play and get immersed in. I gave up after an hour because it also looked like total ass.

Fat Frog

I wrote this reply yesterday but its only getting to you now, simulating the absolute joy of streaming input lag.

I played Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus on PS Plus and while it is a 30fps game that already had less than stellar input lag natively on PS3 it really was a chore to play and get immersed in. I gave up after an hour because it also looked like total ass.
The PS Now tech isn't a bad tech but Sony did a lot of weird choices:

Look at this.
Judgment remastered is available on PS5 but they chose the mediocre PS4 version adding extra layer of Blurriness and input lag on a game already not very sharp or responsive...

Test it on Stadia and you'll see it has lower latency than the local PS4 version or the remastered xbox one port. (limited to 30 fps as well but 60 on Stadia 👊🏼.)

Of course, the PS5 and Series X versions are better but as always 👉 500 bucks 😇

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Except, stream a game isn't just "stream a game" in terms of convenience.

Like Salty Popsicle Salty Popsicle said there is also:
- Not buying a 500€ console.(indeed, in the ancient world, price were decreasing after several years but welcome to the new world:
https://www.ign.com/articles/chip-s...5-xbox-series-x-gpus-supply-issues-2024?amp=1 )

- No download
- No update
- No need to buy an additional Series S to continue your game on the bedroom when your wife watches netflix on the Smart TV.(1 click and you switch you game session from TV1 to TV2 to smartphone to tablet to laptop)
- No need to bring your faaaat Series X in hollidays.
- No need to buy 5 times Fifa for your nephews and send the copies to 5 different adresses... You buy only 1 game for you and you can share it legally with 5 persons.

And cloud engineers are adding new features every months...

Dismissing cloud convenience is quite something... Seriously 😅

I'm not dismissing cloud convenience at all. I'm only following up with the OP's article that's saying cloud gaming shouldn't "REPLACE" local gaming. The most important part of this convo is the word replace. I'd love stuff like Xcloud and PS+'s cloud gaming if it works well as an add-on. It's not the main course meal-type decision for me though. Cloud gaming will always be a dessert.

mckmas8808

Banned
1. Why would corporations care about the most minimal of their supporters like you or I and not just go after the casual crowd? They make more money for them than us nitpickers as seen with the Apple thread. Perhaps the Switch proved that this gen and every GPU bought in a generation is usually the middle or low entry from the 3050 to 3070. Don't factor out affordability.

1. Because the casual crowd doesn't spend as much money as we do. Some of you guys are totally not understanding what that Apple thread is about. Plus the Switch proves guys like me correct. Nintendo isn't going cloud gaming only ever and none of us believe they'll disappear from the gaming scene.

1. Because the casual crowd doesn't spend as much money as we do. Some of you guys are totally not understanding what that Apple thread is about. Plus the Switch proves guys like me correct. Nintendo isn't going cloud gaming only ever and none of us believe they'll disappear from the gaming scene.
The Apple thread is about how "casual" gamers outnumber "hardcore" gamers by multitudes and its all due to accessibility. Even if the majority of these "casual" gamers don't spend a penny, if a small percentage of them do (whales), then that more than makes up for the difference. Cloud streaming offers exactly that, accessibility.

Nintendo is an outlier. While Microsoft and Sony have to put out new consoles every 5-7 years and offer discounts on the hardware once it becomes more outdated, Nintendo products for some reason have legs that last almost a decade and they offer no discount even when the components in their systems are outdated by a generation or more.

Hari Seldon

I tried cloud gaming once. The experience was such complete shit that I doubt I will even try it again unless there is some massive revolution in internet delivery infrastructure.

Topher

Gold Member
I could have agreed with local hardware looking better with minimum artifacting on GFN, but the fact you called the PS5 version better than the PC one is absolutely hilarious in terms of Graphics Options alone 🤣. Also, what was your setup? What was your latency? Where did you play it the "other day"? .h264 on a regular stream or .h265 on a Shield TV? Better start making shit up.

I don't need to make shit up, dude. I played from the GFN app on my PC. Here is a pic:

tSYCKyV.jpg

But I did go back and recheck the settings. For some reason, even though I am on 3080 tier, the resolution is capped at 1080p in AC:Origins for me. So that would explain the lack of clarity. I'll have to do some research and find out why. I'd happily be wrong.

So is it much better on the Shield?

Also, the hell are you on about? Reading comprehension much? I made no such claims.

When I listed "PC gaming is dead" you replied:

No one thought of this either.

If that isn't what you meant then it is fine.

Last edited:
Is there any console platform holder talking about switching to cloud streaming exclusively? I am aware that Nvidia offers GeForce Now game streaming. Have they announced plans to abandon making video cards? How successful was Stadia?

As long as these services remain optional I don't see any need for concern. If a future comes with no internet or electricity I'm thinking we'd have bigger problems than digital game ownership or latency. Local gaming isn't going anywhere.

Fahdis

I don't need to make shit up, dude. I played from the GFN app on my PC. Here is a pic:

tSYCKyV.jpg

But I did go back and recheck the settings. For some reason, even though I am on 3080 tier, the resolution is capped at 1080p in AC:Origins for me. So that would explain the lack of clarity. I'll have to do some research and find out why. I'd happily be wrong.

So is it much better on the Shield?

When I listed "PC gaming is dead" you replied:

If that isn't what you meant then it is fine.

You should put your resolution up to 4K. Max out the Bitrate and put it on Ethernet. And crank up to Ultra Settings. 1080P looks like ass on anything now fren. PC app is .h264 but can do 120 Hz as long as you have HDMI 2.1.

The Shied TV does .h265 at 4K HDR but with 60 Hz because it has HDMI 2.0 but it looks better than PC app on every level after MAX bitrate.

Cheers mate, no hard feelings, just want to make you a believer if you give something new an open chance. It will not be 1:1 but it is getting close on the Shield (but the Shield definitely has more latency).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You should put your resolution up to 4K. Max out the Bitrate and put it on Ethernet. And crank up to Ultra Settings. 1080P looks like ass on anything now fren. PC app is .h264 but can do 120 Hz as long as you have HDMI 2.1.

The Shied TV does .h265 at 4K HDR but with 60 Hz because it has HDMI 2.0 but it looks better than PC app on every level after MAX bitrate.

Cheers mate, no hard feelings, just want to make you a believer if you give something new an open chance. It will not be 1:1 but it is getting close on the Shield (but the Shield definitely has more latency).

Nah....no hard feelings at all, bud. I'm all for trying new things. That's why I bought a month of GFN 3080 so I could speak from experience. Seems I need a bit more. I appreciate your tips. I'll try and optimize tomorrow and report back.

Why more latency on Shield I wonder.

Last edited:

sachos

Even if they manage to get to perfect input lag, no frame dropping/micro stuttering due to connectivity to the server and pristine bitrate streaming quality without artifacts we are still left with the huge issue of you not owning anything and being dependant on the server being up or the devs not pulling the game away from the service. So yeah, as long as it remains an option besides local gaming, thats cool but its weird seeing people actually root for it to kill local gaming? wtf is up with that

Demigod Mac

Unless game companies can overcome the speed of light, input lag is always going to be an issue. Depends on distance from the server hosting the game. Some will have it much better or worse than others.
You can only use so many clever masking techniques until the information simply can't travel quickly enough across distances.

avin

Multiplayer games will change, and new kinds of games may become possible. We won't know till we see it, and some could be great. But for those kinds of games, I'd think ownership doesn't mean much anyway.

avin

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
1. No one believes that every gamer needs\wants to buy a console within it's 1st launch year. Consoles and GPUs drop in price all the time.
2. Gamers that want to play games, but think spending a few hundred bucks on hardware is too much "SHOULDN'T" be these video game company's main target audience.
3. Losing access to games "HAS" to be a bigger inconvenience, than paying a few hundred dollars for hardware.

For many people, ‘a few hundred bucks’ is a big deal.
I don’t think anyone has said people who can’t spend money on hardware should be the main target audience for traditional game sales. They’ll be targeted for revenue via monthly subscriptions.

It’s also ironic to see so much scaremongering about ‘losing access to games’ when the main benefits of cloud gaming is to have your games accessible to you anywhere you are. As it stands, GAF console players lose access to their games as soon as they step outside their houses (unless you’ve got a Switch).

Ozriel

M$FT
Even if they manage to get to perfect input lag, no frame dropping/micro stuttering due to connectivity to the server and pristine bitrate streaming quality without artifacts we are still left with the huge issue of you not owning anything and being dependant on the server being up or the devs not pulling the game away from the service. So yeah, as long as it remains an option besides local gaming, thats cool but its weird seeing people actually root for it to kill local gaming? wtf is up with that

Is there anyone actually rooting for it to kill local gaming?

What is clearly prevalent in this thread is the weird belief that cloud gaming should be killed off as an option.

Your comment on ownership really has nothing to do with cloud streaming as a tech. People play their Steam purchased games on GeForce Now, for example.

Boss Mog

Each new generation of people gets shittier and shittier and as such they will ruin gaming more and more, and it starts with the people who go all digital on consoles.

Last edited:

MScarpa

This guy gets it! It's all about the hardcore gamers like GAF that keep Sony, MS and Nintendo in business. Without us they wouldn't have any money at all. Stupid casuals, go back to Fortnite and your F2P shit. 😂

CS Lurker

If it replaces, it will take decades to happen; we'll have datacenters everywhere and the world's internet infrastructure will be miles better, making the extra latency be negligible.

Anyway, local and streaming will coexist for a long time.

Top Bottom