• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art in Gaming you personally dislike?

drawn-to-death-screen.jpeg

streetfighterxtekken003.jpg

lock2k

Banned
I have the opposite feeling, i prefer high color somewhat medim to low resolution pixel art (something like the PSX or late 80s arcade graphics) over HD 2d pixel art games... But the really chunky ones are extremely annoying, I can tolerate low colors games like Axiom Verge, but not extremely low resolutions.

Anyway, I came here to make ennemies:
windwaker-thumb-345x189-2359.png

jpeg.1493329833.jpeg
Jet Set Radio's artstyle is the best. I wish I could live in Tokyo-To.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I really don't like the art style of Dragon Quest's and I hate the parting hair style of the hero in XI and I'm not a huge fan of Akira Toriyama style in general but I do like his Dragon Ball stuff though. Also the composer seems to be a jerk in denying the holocaust and the game only ship with ear bleeding midi songs, not the full orchestral version as he expects to make money of you buying the OST.
0UBPGjw.png

Desudzer10

I really don't like the art style of Dragon Quest's and I hate the parting hair style of the hero in XI and I'm not a huge fan of Akira Toriyama style in general but I do like his Dragon Ball stuff though. Also the composer seems to be a jerk in denying the holocaust and the game only ship with ear bleeding midi songs, not the full orchestral version as he expects to make money of you buying the OST.
0UBPGjw.png
Such a pity....

But i understand people who don't like the DQ art style, but i love it. I can't imagine a DQ game looking any different.

I generally hate when games go for a "gritty, mature" artstyle, even if the game itself is great. You know what I'm talking about. Every color is just a shade of brown, gray, red, or green, it's all washed out and grainy, the colors lack any sort of vibrancy and just look dull, etc. As much as I miss the 7th generation, I'm glad we're past the era where every other game looked like that (although I'll still say that 7th gen is much better than current gen overall). Just a bunch of edgy nonsense.

The worst part is when Nintendo hopped on that bandwagon. You know, the same Nintendo known for their bright, colorful, and whimsical artstyles? I love Twilight Princess, but it's so fucking ugly. Brawl is literally my favorite Smash, but it's such an eyesore to look at. It's okay to put a little color in your games goddamnit!

sublimit

Banned
I really dislike the character art of all these series/games:

Halo
Gears of War
Fable
GTA
The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Dishonored
We Happy Few
Fortnite
WoW
Starcraft
Anything Warhammer
Jak and Daxter

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's pretty, the second screenshot looks like a painting to me.

What is it that you don't like about it?
For you is pretty, for me and other people it looks like a low res mess, and the characters\enemy design is nothing to write home about it tbh.

High res texture are not everything in a game, but after you play so many good looking open world, botw just looks super dated.

i mean, what do you see here that looks better than the other pics? (other than a more cartoony color palette and lack of details)

jwtue5dhencb44v8qbakmggo89ctvvvd96caxncz4w1a2et3rranaha1zrdnbjvr.jpg

jp-novark-snow1080.jpg

BirdMountain5.png

botw-how-to-get-warm-doublet_feature.jpg

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Frozen-Wilds-1_4.jpg

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Frozen-Wilds-1_2.jpg

Horizon_Zero_Dawn_The_Frozen_Wilds_Nov052017_01.jpg

ra6i4gu727a31.jpg

red-dead-redemption-ii-igra-fon.jpg

Days-Gone-2-scaled.jpg

and we can pick desert or forest areas if you want, it doens't change anything.

Last edited:
Anything Sony does :p
i kinda agree.... i mean i don't think they are bad looking games but a lot of PS4 games had a similar look to them. i don't know what it is... at first maybe i thought the games were using the same engine which could maybe explain similar lighting/animations etc but this is happening across games from different studios. the last of us, uncharted, god of war, horizon zero dawn, ghost of tshusima. maybe the engine that Naughty Dog, Suckerpunch, Guerrilla, Santa Monica, etc use similar tech.

maybe it's just me but these screenshots have something in common which just screams "that's a sony game":

iu

iu

iu

the-last-of-us-2-seattle-day-1-hub-fedra-camp.jpg

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
0UBPGjw.png
I love DQ and i love the art of Toriyama but i have to agree about the haircut of the main character in DQXI. Thankfully we were able to put a helmet on his head and hide his stupid hair.
But WTF Sugiyama's political views have to do with this thread?:pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

GymWolf

i kinda agree.... i mean i don't think they are bad looking games but a lot of PS4 games had a similar look to them. i don't know what it is... at first maybe i thought the games were using the same engine which could maybe explain similar lighting/animations etc but this is happening across games from different studios. the last of us, uncharted, god of war, horizon zero dawn, ghost of tshusima. maybe the engine that Naughty Dog, Suckerpunch, Guerrilla, Santa Monica, etc use similar tech.

maybe it's just me but these screenshots have something in common which just screams "that's a sony game":

iu

iu

iu

Lol, so zoomed in third persona camera is enough for you to consider these games similar?

You literally posted 4 wild different scenes that only have being outdoors locations in common...

And don't even let me start on the animation thing...

Last edited:

GymWolf

i'm not talking about the third person camera

and yes i know they are different....

try reading again :)
Nah, i readed enough:pie_invert:

Even the animations are wildly different in these games, in both looks, feeling and quality.

even days gone and tlou2 that looks mostly similar have completely different feeling, tlou2 is more heavy and partially scripted, days gone is more amateurish\less precise and gamey feeling, and this is the worse case scenario where bend was clearly inspired by tlou for their gameplay.

If you pick something like the melee in spidey, gow and horizon, they feel and look wildly different in terms of animations, looking somehow realistic and having good animations in general is not nearly enough to consider these games similar.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Fortnite style is disgusting the art style and retard

The Bioshock art is horripilant and is like a basket with puke

The cal art is piece of shit

And I hate this with my soul

iorek21

Took me a while to get used to Civilization VI’s art style, but I can’t really say I hate it.

Now, one game that I really like but I despise the art style is Borderlands, specially 1 and 3. The environments get so tiresome after a while… same color palette, same simplistic assets, almost static world, too linear etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

iu

iu

iu

not this shit again.
These are all completely different games. The only thin that connects them is "good not cartoony graphics"

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I've been watching some SFV and besides the big feet issue TM is looks pretty fucking awesome to me

In motion it's pretty fucking solid and from the perspective of an amateur eye I feel the chosen style does a awesome job of making these 3D characters a 2D look.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
literally half of the shooters on Xbox360 and PS3.

Could you be any more boring and generic? Devoid of any creativity and art direction.
Brink-review1.jpg

catvonpee

I was going to comment how much I hate the way Street Fighter looks, but I see I am not alone lmao. I especially hate the black ink on some of the moves.

I also don't care for the new Samurai Shodown (or KOF either).

I'd much rather have these games look like Guilty Gear. But I think Samurai Shodown 6 was the best looking of the series, even though I think V special is my favorite.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
literally half of the shooters on Xbox360 and PS3.

Could you be any more boring and generic? Devoid of any creativity and art direction.
Brink-review1.jpg

What's that game? Looks like Borderlands..

I'm still not over the stylistic change(es) going from Halo CE onwards. The original has such a distinct vibe by way of it's visuals.. It still irks me..

While not really games (lul) I hate the cartoony art in most western mobile games that looks a lot like WoW. This includes Fortnite. Fucking ugly, and I cringe whenever ads come up on YouTube.

But what came up in my mind first was the new demon for SMT4 - there were some cool ones (Medusa and onion boy are amazing) but a lot of them are really bad, including a final boss that literally looks like roadkill spread across your screen. Didn't mesh well at all with the old Kaneko art style demons and Doi's character art.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
What's that game? Looks like Borderlands..

I'm still not over the stylistic change(es) going from Halo CE onwards. The original has such a distinct vibe by way of it's visuals.. It still irks me..
no that's Brink, but it's reminiscent of plenty of shooter from that era. Oh, another level with a bunch of ship containers... snore.
Oh, another shooter who's idea of being realistic is leaving out every color that isn't brown and grey.

World of Warcraft, Destruction All-Stars, Fable

And I don't hate the traditional Japanese anime style, but I'm incredibly sick of almost all AA and many AAA JRPGs using the exact same style.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
no that's Brink, but it's reminiscent of plenty of shooter from that era. Oh, another level with a bunch of ship containers... snore.
Oh, another shooter who's idea of being realistic is leaving out every color that isn't brown and grey.

Haha, ship containers... Yeah these games are a dime a dozen. Also, less industrial settings and more nature. I really liked Operation Flashpoint (the first on 360)

Last edited:
Top Bottom