• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art in Gaming you personally dislike?

Fbh

The obsession with photo realistic graphics, particularly when it comes to character design. While technically impressive, It just didn't fit at all in DMC5 IMO.

Yeah I much preferred the more stylized look in DMC 1-4.
Though I also think part of the blame is with the RE engine. It just has this weird uncanny valley look that other realistic looking games (like, say, Uncharted 4, Gears 5, Modern Warfare 2019,etc) don't have.

I’ve recently shopped on Steam again and came across various square pixel based indie games
I have the opposite feeling, i prefer high color somewhat medim to low resolution pixel art (something like the PSX or late 80s arcade graphics) over HD 2d pixel art games... But the really chunky ones are extremely annoying, I can tolerate low colors games like Axiom Verge, but not extremely low resolutions.

Anyway, I came here to make ennemies:
windwaker-thumb-345x189-2359.png

jpeg.1493329833.jpeg

DogofWar

I remember buying Civilization 6, as I have spent countless hours conquering the world in the previous game, and was greeted by this:

iu

If I wanted a mobile game made by Disney I would have bought a mobile game made by Disney.
That is still the only game I have refunded on Steam as of this date. Complete shit compared to previous installations.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Any pixel art game, I don't care how many people say it's great game, I'm not playing it. That shit was great in the 80s because that was all we had. It's the 2020s I want something that at least looks like it's from this millennium.

Weeb/Anime/Manga looking games. I can't stand little girls with giant boobs for females and little emo girls with no boobs and stupid hair for males

Really badly drawn cartoony games where the graphics look like they were done in MS Paint.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Any pixel art game, I don't care how many people say it's great game, I'm not playing it. That shit was great in the 80s because that was all we had. It's the 2020s I want something that at least looks like it's from this millennium.

Weeb/Anime/Manga looking games. I can't stand little girls with giant boobs for females and little emo girls with no boobs and stupid hair for males

Really badly drawn cartoony games where the graphics look like they were done in MS Paint.
Dude not all anime styled games are a loli and BOOBA fest. In fact we kinda agree, as I like anime artstyles but not if it means exaggerated designs like some blades in Xenoblade 2, for example.

Thabass

maxresdefault.jpg

Not the biggest fan of the isometric style games. Not that I don't think the artwork is well done, it just doesn't do anything for me on a personal level. Also another factor is how dark and moody the game is; it's a personal style preference that I like deeper and/or brighter colors.

Age of Empires is another example or Civilization.

Hunnybun

Photorealism is the bane of the industry.
Not only does it age like sour milk, it drains resources that would be better served on other aspects of games.
A stylized art direction will forever look better that the most "realistic" looking AAA pabulum.

Depends what you mean by the term. I'd say properly defined, hardly any games are photorealisitc.

Death Stranding, RDR2, GT Sport.... can't think of too many more off the top of my head.

On topic: obviously Godfall, which is just hideous. But my main pet hate is Ubisoft games. Almost all of them have terrible art. Just awful. It's remarkable how consistently nasty their games look across so many studios and franchises lol.

Thabass

:messenger_neutral:

this is a thread where we talk about art we dont like.

not sure why you singled me out :messenger_poop:

But you didn't. You said in a broad stroke you don't understand why people like it. You never emphasize why you disliked it. This is the literal same conversation we've had before. Fucking use your words to explain why you dislike it instead of criticizing others on why they like it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think A Link Between Worlds is one of the ugliest games ever. The lumpy, weird art that poorly tries to mimic the SNES game, the washed out colors, it's really bad. Link's Awakening is a LOT better.

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

Not the biggest fan of the isometric style games. Not that I don't think the artwork is well done, it just doesn't do anything for me on a personal level. Also another factor is how dark and moody the game is; it's a personal style preference that I like deeper and/or brighter colors.

Age of Empires is another example or Civilization.
If you think that's too dark and moody and not colorful enough, I wonder how you'd feel about the other games in the series

intbal

Would you make an exception for something that's so stylized that it no longer appears to be "pixel art", even though it is?

The Last Night, for example:

5kEOWeR.gif

Thabass

If you think that's too dark and moody and not colorful enough, I wonder how you'd feel about the other games in the series

Most of that is aimed at Diablo 1 / 2. Diablo 3 really did improve on it, but, it still has the isometric style that I'm not fond of as much. (I still think it'd a great game, however).

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Would you make an exception for something that's so stylized that it no longer appears to be "pixel art", even though it is?

The Last Night, for example:

5kEOWeR.gif

Oh god I'd forgotten about that game. I remember seeing it at one of MS's E3 shows.

It's absolutely sensationally gorgeous. Did it ever come out?

Rodolink

unpopular opinion but I hated Darksiders character designs.
Stardew Valley and Terraria come to mind also.

missiles

The way Jeff Minter and Llamasoft's games look now. Using emojis, clip art, and generally low effort graphics makes his games feel really cheap and lazy. He's even taken to using sound effects from other games now.

teezzy

Banned
Rim world
Among us
Binding of isaac
Terreria
Factorio
Vvvvvvvvvvvv
Super meat boy
Hotline Miami
Nuclear throne
Ffvi steam/mobile version thing
Bomber crew
That one space program game

Probably a bunch of others. The lofi pixels and/or flash game aesthetic makes me wanna barf. I value art design over all else

Nymphae

Banned
Oh another one I will probably take shit for, Hollow Knight. Downloaded it for free from PS+, and deleted it after about 5 minutes because it looks like a flash game, it reminds me of that Alien Homnid visual style and I hate it so much

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Braid is the fucking ugliest game I've ever seen in my life. I don't think anything tops it.

Don't love that either. Looks like how a Spectrum game would look, if Spectrum was a current gen computer.

I particularly hate extremely "flash" looking art styles, like in a lot of Indie games, particularly Metroidvanias and action platformers.

Also, the "Cal-Arts" style of new age cartoons, made especially bad in the case of the recent Battletoads game:

This looks like fucking visual poison to me.

Also good choice. Looks like a Flash game if Flash still was a thing.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Realistic cinematic movie-like or Netflix serie -like for me do nothing most of the time, they feel "boring"... idk how to explain it, the closest example I can think of is RDR2... Damn that game i can't see it and think it looks "good", just technically impresive.

Also, mobile game art most of the time. Many, specially their icons, look like an evolution of flash games art.

Boy band anime style also... the only design I hated from Xenoblade was this gray-haired guy that appeared with the Telethia the first time.

Foam-looking character skins like in SFV or Jump Force (or basically any "realistic" game fromo this gen)... heck this last one could look way better if at least characters looked cell-shaded since stages looked amazing.

JimboJones

I really hate that generic anime look, it's used a lot in those cheap mobile games these days but even in stuff like sword art online, genshin impact it just makes the whole thing look cheap.

Top Bottom