• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARS: PS5 / PS5DE Gamestop Allocation (75/25)

Ignore the CAG commentary, this is likely more accurate. We should assume this is the same across the retail space. Best Buy Canada had 19K standard and 3K digital available.

Each DE costs them an incremental $80 loss, so why make more when everyone will just upsell to the disk version without stock and you don't have to eat the loss.

You don't need the standard to drive digital adoption, but you do need the DE to say you "Start at $399"

ps5digitalnew.001.jpeg

Few snippets:

Ars was able to confirm the initial PS5 preorder allocations for nine separate GameStop locations. All told, roughly 24 percent of the stock available at these locations was taken up by the Digital Edition, with the remaining 76 percent for the Standard Edition.

The Digital Edition ratios at individual locations ranged from 13 to 33 percent of all the available PS5 preorders, with 20 percent being the most common ratio. Each individual GameStop location in our sample received anywhere from 15 to 30 PS5 units total, with 20 being the most common number.

A lack of Digital Edition consoles could also reflect a desire by Sony to maximize hardware revenue at launch. Since the disc drive assembly in the system likely costs much less than $100 for Sony to produce, the Standard Edition likely brings in better profit margins. A Digital Edition sale might be worth more to Sony in the long run, though, as software sales to those customers will avoid any cut to retailers.

Link below:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...-fewer-digital-edition-systems-for-pre-order/

chonga

Which is probably a fair split when you think about it. I keep saying it but there's a difference between 50% of sales being digital sales and 50% of people wanting an all digital console.

The split is also in line with demand I saw from sites that show how many people have added an item to the basket or are currently looking at an item.

ethomaz

Banned
When I saw the graph I thought about the Arstechinca graphs lol
They are really biased at it.

About the OP question... checking the Brasilian online stores the normal PS5 got Sold Out before the DE but I don't have ideia how the allocation was.

Last edited:

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
The reddit PS5 preorder thread appeared overwhelmingly disc edition biased.

Maybe confirmation bias on my part as I'm all for a disc based future, but I left feeling encouraged. And as OP says, it makes sense for Sony to stem losses, given the rumoured $25-30 BOM for the drive alone.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've asked around in the Dallas area and every Gamestop store owner told me this same information (Okay it as just 3 stores). Sony just isn't making as many PS5 DEs.

Top Bottom