• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arnold to return as The Terminator in T XVVIX?

For god sake, let it die!

terminator GIF

Mods, please put a question mark after title.

Just reboot the damn thing with The Mountain from GoT as the Terminator.

the mountain hbo GIF by Game of Thrones

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Thread title makes it seem like this is a fact when it is speculation at this point based off the word of an "insider".

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
They'll make another one thats for sure only to piss off the actual fans of the franchise even more with their woke bullshit and it'll flop again. These people never learn.

Arimer

So in one Timeline Skynet neve rhappened. IN another Genesys never happened, and now in the third John connor was killed, skynet never happened but another skynet like thing took over. So where the hell is this T-800 coming from?

INC

why bother?

terminator needs to go back to sci fi horror, the original is basically a slasher film

also these shape shifting terminators, why do they always keep the same form? theyre meant to be infiltration units, so why not constantly change their form? and theyll never be see them coming. thats only way i can see to mix up the formula of the franchise 'it could be anyone'

originally the terminator was meant to be Lance Hendrickson, because he looked like an average person, so easier to blend in (T2 sort of went back to that idea)

StormCell

So in one Timeline Skynet neve rhappened. IN another Genesys never happened, and now in the third John connor was killed, skynet never happened but another skynet like thing took over. So where the hell is this T-800 coming from?

That's actually kind of a beautiful thing about Terminator at this point. There are now multiple timelines. Some of them are pretty whack and others just raise more questions. And I get that the quality of some of the movies is quite questionable. I can't stand to even remember Terminator 4 for instance, and yet I legitimately lol'd at Genesys, as that one at least takes the time to poke some fun at itself. I can't say I will ever watch that one again, but creepy Arnold smile is forever etched into my brain in a good way! As for this latest film, let's set aside for a moment some of the potentially deeper woke ideology at play. On its own merits, the film is pretty decent. We got terminator battles plus. We got some mind-bending time travel plots plus. We got... a t-800 who completed his mission and then went into retirement, had a family, and... I don't even know where else to go with the line of thinking here. Did it basically help to take down skynet? Ie. killing John Connor plus stopping all subsequent time traveling terminators led to a future without Skynet??... Talk about unintended consequences. Even if you don't delve deeply into the lore, here, the film is decent enough.

Where do they go now that they've established that if John Connor never rose up to lead a human resistance, it would have just been someone else? And if not Skynet, clearly something else. On the surface, it kind of feels like a major retcon disaster when the whole premise originally was the significance of one for the future of many. I could easily dismiss this except T2 had already set some of the foundation for this when we learned that Skynet could not be prevented and was only being delayed...

StormCell

why bother?

terminator needs to go back to sci fi horror, the original is basically a slasher film

also these shape shifting terminators, why do they always keep the same form? theyre meant to be infiltration units, so why not constantly change their form? and theyll never be see them coming. thats only way i can see to mix up the formula of the franchise 'it could be anyone'

originally the terminator was meant to be Lance Hendrickson, because he looked like an average person, so easier to blend in (T2 sort of went back to that idea)

You are spot on with this assessment. If some super AI from the future has deemed that sending infiltration assassin units into the past is the best strategy, then a basic horror slasher flick is the ideal plot.

Of course, personally, I kinda feel like this franchise has played itself out. The concept still has potential, but the franchise is basically what it is. I still like to catch these movies when they don't cost me anything additional to watch, but I feel like the box office is done with the Terminator series. At this point, they may actually be better off turning these into terminator vs. terminator action flicks like the King of the Monsters movies. Simple plot, no thought, just pure robot devastation...

Sybrix

Suppose Dark Fate made some money to justify another one.

Let's be honest, T1 and T2 are the only good films, the rest are utter crap.

The series just needs to end.

Ememee

Omfgggggg this is bordering on absurdity. No. No! Let it die. Or just hard reboot it already. Or think of something original. I know: the horror.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm usually against reboots but in this case, it would be for the best.

Retell the story of Sarah Connor in modern times. Instead of going back to 1984 it goes back to 2024 or whenever the movie comes out.

WGTC as a source is like like posting a random twitter account as a source.

But we know Hollywood won't be able to resist. Some half baked director will always think they will be the one to out-Cameron, James Cameron.

Yes looking at you McG and Tim Miller.

Although apparently a lot of the lameness of the last one was Cameron. :(

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
1980s Arnold is legit GOAT, but I think Arnold today can make high level productions.

Just stop making Terminator movies for fucks sake.

I'm usually against reboots but in this case, it would be for the best.

Retell the story of Sarah Connor in modern times. Instead of going back to 1984 it goes back to 2024 or whenever the movie comes out.
But why tell the same story again?
The original movie still exists. It still is a good movie.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
But we know Hollywood won't be able to resist. Some half baked director will always think they will be the one to out-Cameron, James Cameron.

Yes looking at you McG and Tim Miller.

Although apparently a lot of the lameness of the last one were Cameron. :(
I tend to not blame one person for what appears to be a studio overall issue. I think most of the terminator problems stem from a studio not willing to take the risks.

Aggelos

Haha what?
Even though Dark Fate was pretty good and received marginally positive reviews by critics, it underperformed at the box office.
And this forced plans for future Terminators to be cancelled altogether.

"Plans for a new Terminator film trilogy were announced in July 2017. While working on the story for Terminator: Dark Fate that year, James Cameron and the writers envisioned the film as the first in the new trilogy. They also worked out the basic storylines for each planned film.

By October 2019, Gale Anne Hurd had filed to terminate a copyright grant made 35 years earlier. Under this move, Hurd would again become a 50-50 owner of the rights with Cameron, and Skydance Media could lose the rights to make any additional Terminator films beginning in November 2020, unless a new deal is worked out. Skydance responded that it had a deal in place with Cameron and that it "controls the rights to the Terminator franchise for the foreseeable future". In October 2019, Cameron said that sequels to Terminator: Dark Fate would further explore the relationship between humans and artificial intelligence, while stating that a resolution between the two feuding sides would be the ultimate outcome.That month, Schwarzenegger said that Cameron would write the Terminator: Dark Fate sequels, and that Cameron would begin work on the next film in early 2020, for release in 2022.

Although the events of Terminator: Dark Fate erase Schwarzenegger's T-800 character from existence, Cameron did not rule out the possibility of Schwarzenegger reprising the character, saying, "Look, if we make a ton of money with this film [Dark Fate] and the cards say that they like Arnold, I think Arnold can come back. I'm a writer. I can think of scenarios. We don't have a plan for that right now, let me put it that way." Hamilton said in October 2019 that she would probably reprise her role for a sequel, although she joked that she would fake her own death to avoid appearing in it, saying that making Terminator: Dark Fate "really was hard" because of the physical training she had to undergo. On January 31, 2020, Hamilton gave an interview on her future with the franchise in which she said that "I would be quite happy to never return. So no, I am not hopeful, because I would really love to be done. But if there were something new that really spoke to me, I am a logical person, and I will always consider viable changes."

Following the film's underwhelming performance at the box office, sources close to Skydance told The Hollywood Reporter that there are no plans for further films
. In June 2020, star Mackenzie Davis expressed: "I really loved the movie and I’m so proud of what we did, but there wasn’t a demand for it [at the box office] and to think that there’d be a demand for a seventh film is quite insane. You should just pay attention to what audiences want..." "

Last edited:
Haha what?
Even though Dark Fate was pretty good and received marginally positive reviews by critics, it underperformed at the box office.
And this forced plans for future Terminators to be cancelled altogether.

"Plans for a new Terminator film trilogy were announced in July 2017. While working on the story for Terminator: Dark Fate that year, James Cameron and the writers envisioned the film as the first in the new trilogy. They also worked out the basic storylines for each planned film.

By October 2019, Gale Anne Hurd had filed to terminate a copyright grant made 35 years earlier. Under this move, Hurd would again become a 50-50 owner of the rights with Cameron, and Skydance Media could lose the rights to make any additional Terminator films beginning in November 2020, unless a new deal is worked out. Skydance responded that it had a deal in place with Cameron and that it "controls the rights to the Terminator franchise for the foreseeable future". In October 2019, Cameron said that sequels to Terminator: Dark Fate would further explore the relationship between humans and artificial intelligence, while stating that a resolution between the two feuding sides would be the ultimate outcome.That month, Schwarzenegger said that Cameron would write the Terminator: Dark Fate sequels, and that Cameron would begin work on the next film in early 2020, for release in 2022.

Although the events of Terminator: Dark Fate erase Schwarzenegger's T-800 character from existence, Cameron did not rule out the possibility of Schwarzenegger reprising the character, saying, "Look, if we make a ton of money with this film [Dark Fate] and the cards say that they like Arnold, I think Arnold can come back. I'm a writer. I can think of scenarios. We don't have a plan for that right now, let me put it that way." Hamilton said in October 2019 that she would probably reprise her role for a sequel, although she joked that she would fake her own death to avoid appearing in it, saying that making Terminator: Dark Fate "really was hard" because of the physical training she had to undergo. On January 31, 2020, Hamilton gave an interview on her future with the franchise in which she said that "I would be quite happy to never return. So no, I am not hopeful, because I would really love to be done. But if there were something new that really spoke to me, I am a logical person, and I will always consider viable changes."

Following the film's underwhelming performance at the box office, sources close to Skydance told The Hollywood Reporter that there are no plans for further films
. In June 2020, star Mackenzie Davis expressed: "I really loved the movie and I’m so proud of what we did, but there wasn’t a demand for it [at the box office] and to think that there’d be a demand for a seventh film is quite insane. You should just pay attention to what audiences want..." "

Wasn't that the case after Genesis? And McG one?

Id pay to see a Terminator: Future War.

Set on last day of the conflict, epic battle to secure the old NORAD base where Skynet is housed. Same sort of style as 1917 or Dunkirk, It would be cool if part of it was done from the POV of Skynet. Flicking back and forth to when it was created.

But we know we'll get a CGI Arnold sent back in time....AGAIN.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don’t understand why this would get made when it’s exactly the kind of thing that should get cancelled in a post-COVID world.

If studios are uncertain about the future of box office receipts then it seems really weird to bet on a franchise that did poorly during better times.

Javthusiast

Banned
Another fucking movie?

They just put his character to rest again as a good guy in Dark fate, basically copying T2. Now he AGAIN comes back?

Fucking end this franchise.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For god sake, let it die!

terminator GIF

Mods, please put a question mark after title.

Just reboot the damn thing with The Mountain from GoT as the Terminator.

the mountain hbo GIF by Game of Thrones
Otra vez???

Ya aburre.

Again?? Im getting tired of these movies

Last edited:

Imotekh

The thing with Terminator is it seemed like after T2 they stopped trying to adapt the formula, and just kept trying to remake T2. I'd hesitantly set Salvation aside as McG did attempt something different but it wasn't good.

Go forward in time, or have 2 evil ones or something that isn't utter wank like Genysis or the other one.

If he plays a bad terminator, just like the original then I mIgHt consider wanting to see it .....when it's on Netflix.....when it's free on Netflix

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Fun fact, Terminator Salvation was actually intended to be the start of a trilogy.
Fun fact, Terminator Genisys was actually intended to be the start of a trilogy.
Fun fact, Terminator: Dark Fate was actually intended to be the start of a trilogy.

We've got a full trilogy of failed trilogies. I propose that we receive two more Terminator films, telling a cerebral story in an attempt to provide closure for all three trilogies.

Aggelos

Fun fact, Terminator Salvation was actually intended to be the start of a trilogy.
Fun fact, Terminator Genisys was actually intended to be the start of a trilogy.
Fun fact, Terminator: Dark Fate was actually intended to be the start of a trilogy.

We've got a full trilogy of failed trilogies. I propose that we receive two more Terminator films, telling a cerebral story in an attempt to provide closure for all three trilogies.

They don't seem to get the memo. But Terminator Dark Fate was actually good - this is how the 3rd official sequel should have been in the first place (and not like Terminator 3 : Rise of the Machines)
And now we've got ourselves a full trilogy of failed trilogy attempts. What a farrago, what a predicament, what a fuck-up....

To be honest I don't know why James Cameron did Dark Fate and why he wants to do another one. Cameron even shot an alternative ending with old Sarah Connor and her grown-up John Connor enjoying the new world freed from the evil clutches of Skynet.

"By October 1997, the budgetary concerns over Terminator 3 and Cameron's troubled post-production of Titanic for Fox led them both to abandon the Terminator project and not pursue the rights. Mechanic had asked James Cameron if he wanted Fox to outbid Andrew Vajna, but Cameron decided he did not want to be involved in the project. Mechanic believed that Cameron was "only hanging in there at the end because of Arnold and quality control. It was something that Arnold always wanted to do again. Period. And Jim was more than happy to do it." Cameron gave his approval for Gale Ann Hurd and Schwarzenegger to make another Terminator film without him, although Schwarzenegger did not want to make the film without Cameron, and initially refused to star in the third film.

Over time, Schwarzenegger would continue trying to persuade Cameron to be involved in the new film. In 2003, Cameron said that he felt he had already told the whole story with his first two Terminator films, something that he came to realize during the post-production of Titanic. Cameron later stated, "I just felt as a filmmaker maybe I've gone beyond it. I really wasn't that interested. I felt like I'd told the story I wanted to tell. I suppose I could have pursued it more aggressively and gone to the mat for it but I felt like I was laboring in someone else's house to an extent because I had sold the rights very early on." Nevertheless, feeling that the Terminator character was as much Schwarzenegger's as it was his own, Cameron eventually advised Schwarzenegger to do the third film without him, saying, "If they can come up with a good script and they pay you a lot of money, don't think twice." The film was in high demand according to Schwarzenegger, who said he was frequently asked in interviews about the possibility of a third film.

In October 1997, the rights to future Terminator films were auctioned to Vajna for $8 million. Hurd had opposed Vajna's attempt to buy the rights, and had tried unsuccessfully to change Cameron's mind about purchasing the rights.On the night that the rights were auctioned, Vajna contacted Cameron and Schwarzenegger to resolve the situation. Vajna was surprised that Cameron would be upset about the rights being sold, later saying, "What difference does it make to Jim who's financing the movie, a studio or us? His deal would have been the same. Arnold tried to convince Jim over a long period of time to do the film. Arnold felt very loyal." Vajna said that Cameron "felt that we 'stole his baby', even though we're the ones who put it together last time round. So we felt that that was kind of strange and then we went on to do it ourselves."

Cameron said in January 1998 that it was unlikely he would direct Terminator 3. In March 1998, Andrew Vajna and Mario Kassar acquired Hurd's half of the Terminator rights for $8 million, to become full owners of the franchise, with plans to proceed on Terminator 3. Hurd served as an executive producer on the film. Mario Kassar and Vajna contacted Cameron with the hope that he would direct, but he declined. According to Kassar, Cameron was trying to obtain the auctioned Terminator rights for himself at the time that he was asked to direct. Cameron and his company, Lightstorm Entertainment, had considered trying to obtain the rights, but ultimately chose not to do so; it was estimated that acquiring the rights and paying Schwarzenegger to reprise his role could cost up to $100 million. "

Last edited:

INC

I like how after the first shot the gif makes it look like he is just wafting the gun at her like he just farted.

Pre fx I guess, I couldn't be arsed to change it, thats how little I care about the franchise now

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Pre fx I guess, I couldn't be arsed to change it, thats how little I care about the franchise now
Think it is just the framerate of the gif missing the one frame flashes.
Pointless fact - the first time I saw Terminator was the UK TV edit and the extra shots were cut, he just shot her once in the head and done.

INC

Think it is just the framerate of the gif missing the one frame flashes.
Pointless fact - the first time I saw Terminator was the UK TV edit and the extra shots were cut, he just shot her once in the head and done.

The more efficient version

Mc g was right just continue in the future give us the damn war.
I am also one of the weird Terminator fans that enjoyed Terminator Salvation when it came out. Even though it wasn't farther along into the future war as I would have liked, I did like the Terminator designs in Salvation (including the Harvesters and Transports) and it was much better overall than T3.

Dacon

Banned
Nigga what? Why?

This franchise is fucking dead. If theyre gonna do ANYTHING with it they should wipe the entire slate clean and do something new.

God this shit is frustrating.

Let Arnie rest for God's sakes. He's literally 73 years old now. Even Stallone has retired from making any more movies, Arnie needs to do the same.

Dacon

Banned
Let Arnie rest for God's sakes. He's literally 73 years old now. Even Stallone has retired from making any more movies, Arnie needs to do the same.

Actually Expendables 4 is still on according to reports back in November.

I'm sure no one is forcing him to do this, he's probably reveling in the attention.

CHEROKEEE

I just dont get why they wont go the "full CGI" route for TERMINATORS at this point... IMO the resulting ´Uncanny Valley´ Effect would actually support the concept of ´Artificial Humans´ (aka Cyborgs) ...at least fo me back in T1 the Shots of obvious remote controlled Puppet Arnie made him appear even more menacing, unsettling and inhuman... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom