• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armageddon vs Deep Impact

Armageddon vs Deep Impact

• Deep Impact

Votes: 50 37.0%
  • Armageddon

Votes: 85 63.0%

• Total voters

ManaByte

Gold Member
Armageddon was dumber and cheesier.....but it was that perfect type of dumb cheese which makes it 100x more memorable than Deep Impact.
I remember when it came out and someone from NASA was like "we'd never in a million years be able to launch two shuttles at once!"

GeekyDad

Been a long time since I saw Deep Impact, but I remember enjoying it enough to watch it more than once. Armageddon, I couldn't get past the cheese factor of the trailer to ever sit through it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Been a long time since I saw Deep Impact, but I remember enjoying it enough to watch it more than once. Armageddon, I couldn't get past the cheese factor of the trailer to ever sit through it.

And I remember even then thinking "yeah that's BS." If the entire human race was in danger, and thats what you had to do to save it, then we'd find a way.

thief183

Deep impact as it had more dread. but by that measure the winner is...
tumblr_mq1kzia50H1syw1cuo1_500.gif
Damn you, that movie destroyed my happiness...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Deep Impact was more grounded and realistic(not saying much) but Armageddon was more fun.

And Michael Bay thinking Armageddon was a masterclass in film making adds to the legend of Armageddon.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Credit to my science teachers for showing those films back in high school I recall liking Armageddon more, some of the acting was weird.

35cent

Deep Impact for me. The only thing I even remotely liked about Armageddon was the 'space dementia' line. Still cracks me up to this day.

lachesis

I chose Deep Impact for more multi-dimensional characters faced with harsh reality - but I watched Armageddon more times... probably because it's on all the time on TV. At least it gave us a lot of cheese, and some memorable songs.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I always felt it was important to study the time the movies were released. The environment of 1998 that Hollywood banked in on was the paranoia that some apocalyptic event would unfold the following year (1999). One wasn't really better than the other. Late 90's movies had already slowed down to a point of laziness and it's harder for us to understand the unfounded fear society had during that time. I feel audiences appreciated both at the time.

I really enjoyed Deep Impact and it's pretty memorable as a disaster movie. I thought it conveyed the emotion of it better with the primary cast of characters.

Paulxo87

deep impact was the more realistic/serious movie. Armageddon was the big budget/actor/ fun movie.

I enjoy both but for me deep impact was the better movie

tsumake

zcQiVXuZFCisdXVhLeyD96Hxr6Vqp8_large.jpg
Armageddon shockingly made it to the Criterion Collection, did Deep Impact?

The Rock was also a Criterion. I imagine they needed a mainstream film to help their sales.

There’s a (very) small contingent of critics that argue that Bay’s films have a certain je ne sais quoi aesthetic wise - and there is a strong sense of composition in his framing. It’s now considered “flashy” but the critics are gambling that his films be better evaluated in the future.

Bay was an “alumni” at my university, though he didn’t graduate (though why quibble over small details). There’s a story that he visited once and saw the film studies students as they were editing their thesis films. The only comment he made was “cut faster.”

The Rock was also a Criterion. I imagine they needed a mainstream film to help their sales.
Bay was an “alumni” at my university, though he didn’t graduate (though why quibble over small details). There’s a story that he visited once and saw the film studies students as they were editing their thesis films. The only comment he made was “cut faster.”
The Rock was actually a good movie though. People are entertained by it to this day and I have to agree about his movies having a certain feel about them that can’t be replicated as I watched the third Bad Boys movie and found it to be the worst of the bunch.

Doesn’t surprise me that he didn’t graduate, he didn’t seem like the academic type, but it would have been awesome if he walked into the classroom and shouted “more explosions!!!” And then walked out.

Aggelos

NASA astronauts share their thoughts on Armageddon.

7:59 Armageddon (1998)

10:27 - Training montage - Armageddon (1998)

Romulus

A guy i know is actually in the beginning of Armageddon. He only has like one line but it's his claim to fame lol

NickFire

I'm not sure I have ever stopped watching Armageddon before the credits have rolled. Whether its the begining, middle, last 10 minutes, that movie comes on and I am hooked. One of my all-time favorite blockbuster / rollercoaster movies.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Armageddon, and it's not even close. It's really what I hoped Michael Bay would continue to make: dumb, cheesy, but-oh-so-fucking-fun movies that have more heart and visual panache than they have any right to.

Instead, we got Transformers. Oh well.

Imotekh

Deep Impact. I tried to watch Armageddon again and could barely make it through the whole shooting at Ben Affleck thing. I get the cheese argument, but the film also has that appalling contrast Michael Bay kept using so the film is visually bad for me.

Deep impact has a lot of interesting stuff that stays with you, like the whole thing about selecting mankind best to protect in the shelters but also a lottery for the general public, and all the looting that happens when people can't get in.

MastaKiiLA

I think the general consensus is that they're both worth a watch. I'm surprised by those that like one, but find the other unwatchable though. To me, they're 2 different takes on the same theme, but both arguably great approaches.

You don't really get as silly and glitzy as Armaggedon. It's really the precursor to 2012. Over the top action, cool cuts, and an absolutely ridiculous plot. If you watched it in the theater, you very likely walked out with a big grin on your face.

Deep Impact really does a good job exploring the human experience of a more realistic plot. Following the 2 main protagonists through the journey of discovery and rise to celebrity, along with the way they handle the tragedy of having to leave loved ones behind. We also get to look at how a fictitious president would handle the burden of triaging the population of his country, without being allowed to just roll the dice entirely on a world-saving plan. The reality that the plan had a low probability of success, so they had a massive contingency plan in the works. One that as large as it was, couldn't hope to save everyone.

Both are good in their own right.

sCHOCOLATE

"...We spend 250 billion dollars a year on defense. And here we are. The fate of the planet is in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun."

Cracks me up every time.

Top Bottom