• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma Reforger - Showcase Trailer

V4skunk

Banned
You are describing OG Ghost Recon from 2000 on PC but no revives. Get shot in the arm and your accuracy is trash. All those little things were in GR but were moved away from to appeal to a broader audience sadly.
Learn to read.

amigastar

Playing the game on PC but i can imagine that this kind of game could also work on consoles since it's not a twitch shooter. Despite the complex controls.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Found a cheap key for this on PC, and the game is actually pretty fun doing the sandbox mode and just messing about and exploring the huge map etc. Problem is i'm a couch gamer and you cant invert the sticks on controller, which makes the game near unplayable for me. What a shame.

Oh and as usual the optimization issue is overblown. Yes the game is demanding but i can hit 40-60fps at 1080p with a mix of High and Ultra settings on my aging 980ti, or 1080p/30 with max settings (the game has a perfectly framepaced 30fps mode).
I have played harder games to run than this.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Stop posturing, your acting like ghost recon isn't/wasnt a sim when it is/was the inspiration for Arma years before it existed as a thought.

Ghost Recon and Op Flashpoint came out in the same year. 2001. Ghost Recon, the PC original yeah, it was tactical and semi-realistic, but it was a game. Op Flashpoint is simulating pretty much real warfare. The gameworld is infinitely bigger. You have a million types of commands you can give. You can drive any vehicle, planes, boats, jeeps, tanks, etc. You can get sniped from vast distances, you dont even know someone is shooting at you. In Arma you have varius granular stances like half side steps and rising from covers.

V4skunk

Banned
Stop posturing, your acting like ghost recon isn't/wasnt a sim when it is/was the inspiration for Arma years before it existed as a thought.
Only GR1 is a sim and Operation Flashpoint is the inspiration for Arma because it is a spiritual successor made by the same company.

Last edited:

Droxcy

Any chance that we get Dayz 2.0 mod😁?

Honestly what I'm looking forward too DayZ needs a new engine and a huge overhaul. Amazing how fun it is still with some buddies on custom server. Arma 3 has some amazing moments as well. It'll take time but can't wait for the moment it happens!

Rawker

Ghost Recon and Op Flashpoint came out in the same year. 2001. Ghost Recon, the PC original yeah, it was tactical and semi-realistic, but it was a game. Op Flashpoint is simulating pretty much real warfare. The gameworld is infinitely bigger. You have a million types of commands you can give. You can drive any vehicle, planes, boats, jeeps, tanks, etc. You can get sniped from vast distances, you dont even know someone is shooting at you. In Arma you have varius granular stances like half side steps and rising from covers.
Yeah and before GR was RB6 which is arguably the most tactical shooter released to date. I get it, my point was that V4skunk conveyed that GR wasn't a mil sim when it is.

Experience authentic Cold War combat and join friends in the struggle for a sprawling, 51 km² mid-Atlantic island — or take on the role of Game Master and create your very own scenarios

Powered by the new Enfusion engine, Arma Reforger lets you fight for supremacy over 51 km2 of incredible island terrain in an authentic
Cold War setting, or create unique scenarios in real-time with the Game Master curation mode. Return to Everon, the war-driven microstate from the hit game that started it all, Arma: Cold War Assault.

Deploying on both Xbox and PC for the very first time in the Arma series, Arma Reforger's modded content is now available to all and can be downloaded by console owners from the Workshop, a content creation sharing repository, exclusive to the game

Arma Reforger is the first step towards Arma 4 and a versatile, creative, fully-moddable platform for the future, offering a glimpse of things to come.

ss_58e388820fc1f8a41944acc2193b6e9aafd620da.jpg
ss_70606368b1d7c0a6d83c2124137ffce05313af26.jpg

I mean, yeah, it looks pretty good. Not insane or jaw-dropping, but still good. It is still early access and I'm fairly certain they're still making tweaks to the engine ,but I'm not expecting a night and day difference between this and final product. Environments look static, plants look like they lack collision physics and look to be of fairly standard quality. There's some generally good things with regards to the graphics though, some textures and assets look to be of great quality and parallax maps seem to be used throughout. The details on guns and some vehicles looks very good too. But, there's nothing particularly current gen looking about it ,it looks familiar graphically to what we've already seen in some games last gen. Arma was never about the graphics though, it has always been about experiencing what it's like to be behind enemy lines and being tactical & strategic on the battlefield and reforger looks to be continuing that tradition of being of a tactical war sim.

Last edited:

amigastar

I mean, yeah, it looks pretty good. Not insane or jaw-dropping, but still good. It is still early access and I'm fairly certain they're still making tweaks to the engine ,but I'm not expecting a night and day difference between this and final product. Environments look static, plants look like they lack collision physics and look to be of fairly standard quality. There's some generally good things with regards to the graphics though, some textures and assets look to be of great quality and parallax maps seem to be used throughout. The details on guns and some vehicles looks very good too. But, there's nothing particularly current gen looking about it ,it looks familiar graphically to what we've already seen in some games last gen. Arma was never about the graphics though, it has always been about experiencing what it's like to be behind enemy lines and being tactical & strategic on the battlefield and reforger looks to be continuing that tradition of being of a tactical war sim.
I hate to say this but i'm a little underwhelmed graphicswise. Seeing the Enfusion engine trailer, lets say i was expecting a little bit more.
But the game has potential. Too bad currently it's not possible to play online because of connection issues, but i'm sure it will be sorted out soon.

Last edited:

Luipadre

tried it on series x. The console version is absolute dogshit. Bad framerate with the worst framepacing i've ever experienced in a game. Its a constant stutter/judder, awful. Also the aiming feels like dogshit too. Delayed, huge ass deadzone etc.

amigastar

I have serious problems to navigate the map without map markers.
I'm supposed to have a short explanation where i'm at through a text in the bottom right corner like seen in this screenshot, but i don't see any text on my map? Does anyone have solution to this?
arma-reforger-map-positioning.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Arma Reforger Early Access reviewed by Luke Winkie on PC. Also available on Xbox. Narration by Mark Medina.

Arma Reforger is a promising evolution of the Arma formula, and it and the eventual Arma 4 have a chance to be special. On a massive island map, powered by the gorgeous Enfusion Engine, you'll have the chance to join up with a team of dedicated soldiers and work through all sorts of wondrously fiddly military simulation quirks. If you enjoy navigating to a rendezvous point with nothing more than a compass and a paper map as rifle fire peppers the air, Reforger will totally satiate that fantasy. However, with a relatively tiny set of features and a boatload of game-breaking bugs that end nearly every session prematurely, Reforger is very much still a work in progress. It's exciting for those who obsess over the series and have been waiting a decade to play on Bohemia Interactive's new tech, but for now, you're very likely better off sticking with Arma 3.

anthraticus

Banned
Only Ghost Recon that was a proper tactical shooter was the og. Check out the Heroes Unleashed mod for it.. https://www.ghostrecon.net/heroes_unleashed/

With R6, it's the og, Rogue Spear and Raven Shield. Some good mods for Raven Shield..

Obviously play Hidden & Dangerous 2. The best WW2 shooter and the closest thing you'll get to a WW2 version of OFP.

Vietcong is cool

SWAT 3 with Last Resort mod and 4 with Elite Force.

It's a shame BI never focused on making great sp campaigns like they did with OFP:CWC. I did hear the Cold War Rearmed mods for Arma 2 & 3, which aimed to recreate the OFP campaign in those engines were quality, but I never tried them.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Ferguson, a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries, breaks down the weaponry of ARMA Reforger, including the Beretta M9, the PKM and the LAW M73.

00:00 - Opening
00:41 - M16 A2
05:05 - Beretta M9
06:44 - M21 Sniper Weapons System
08:32 - M249
10:06 - PKM
13:06 - M60
15:31 - AK 74
17:22 - LAW M73
18:54 - SVD
20:02 - Ending

In the latest video in the Firearm Expert Reacts series, Jonathan Ferguson--a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries--breaks down the guns of ARMA Reforger and compares them to their real-life counterparts.

amigastar

Still waiting for a worthwhile singleplayer mod/campaign. Damn this game somehow disappoints me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom