• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArmA 3 Performance Thread

I don't think there is direct equivalency here, but from release to the last patch before OA was released, a lot of people gained 10-20 fps due to optimization in Arma 2. I can only assume, from alpha to full release, Arma 3 will have substantial improvements, especially since it obviously isn't taking full advantage of CPUs and SLI setups.

Eeee...is it that bad in ArmA II? I never noticed..but I do die a lot.

EDIT: Currently downloading the Alpha. If I can max out A2, how well are my chances for A3?

I don't think so, but I never really used max PP in Arma 2, either.

Longshot

Finally got around for a play today, loving it so far, runs much smoother than Arma 2 for me.

Running an i5-750 @ 2.67 GHz (not OC'd), 8 GB RAM and a HD 5850, auto-detect almost gave me max settings, looks like I won't need to upgrade for a while, woo!

Can anybody share some helicopter control configs? I'm trying to make it as similar as this.

9HLNa5E.jpg

I can't get over how smooth everything is, the controls are damn near perfect.

TheExodu5

Banned
How are the controls? Arma 2 has always interested me but the controls are awful. The mouse acceleration and x/y sensitivities are the worst.

Auto detect settings put me up at very high but it was pretty choppy so I knocked it down to high. I'm still seeing a bit more fluctuation that I would like.

Is there a quick and dirty list of any settings I can tweak to see the best improvement?

Jburton

Banned
Goddamn need to get this game, have reinstalled Arma 2 to get a fix and start the slow process of reaquaintence.

Auto detect settings put me up at very high but it was pretty choppy so I knocked it down to high. I'm still seeing a bit more fluctuation that I would like.

Is there a quick and dirty list of any settings I can tweak to see the best improvement?

Based on Arma 2...I would lower view distance, PP (the lower the better), and object detail. Object detail always had a big hit on FPS for me.

Also, make sure your render resolution is at 100%.

Based on Arma 2...I would lower view distance, PP (the lower the better), and object detail. Object detail always had a big hit on FPS for me.

Also, make sure your render resolution is at 100%.

I think my view distance is around 2k and object view is around 1800. I'll mess with the object detail a bit.

Any idea what's ATOC?

demolitio

Finally got into it. Absolutely gorgeous considering I was just playing ArmA 2 the other day...

Is that RAMDisk for ArmA 3 tutorial up yet? I tried to look but didn't see anything but I might have just skimmed over it on my phone.

ref

How's the performance with a 670 at 1080p FPS wise? I'm probably going to purchase this tomorrow, just curious what I should be looking forward to.

Currently running an I5-750 @ 4.3 as well.

jbpaz

Getting 50 fps in editor on 1920x1080 with standard settings and high detail but I get around 25 fps in multiplayer. It's playable, but not enjoyable. What are some good tips you guys use to bump up fps in mp?

Anyone know the performance on a core 2 duo @ 3.4 ghz? I'm afraid of buying the alpha and then finding out it runs like shit. ArmA 2 runs good enough.

Orgun

Not on the mouse if I'm correct. I use the mouse to level the plane/helo and use w/s to throttle up/down and use a and d to pivot left and right.

You can, I did it for the choppers. Just drag Mouse Up/Mouse Down (from the side menu) to the control you want them on.

I also have w/s for throttle up and down and a/d for rudders.

My first Gaf post, let's hope I'm not fucking this up.
I know this isn't a screenshot thread, but seeing as others have posted a few screens, I thought I'd join in..

Anyway, here are some ArmA 3 screens for you with links to the original 2880x1620 versions:

arma3201303051908298080.png

LINK

arma3201303051840258780.png

LINK

arma3201303051831180780.png

LINK

arma3201303051831372980.png

LINK

arma3201303051829596480.png

LINK

arma3201303051821400580.png

LINK

I downsample to 1920x1080 from that res, but FRAPS doesn't give a shit about that and would rather keep the 1620p res.

Although in many cases it doesn't carry over to the screens, the game does look amazing. The only thing that's not looking too hot, is the terrain at a distance, but that's always been the case with both OP:F and the ArmA games. I guess most computers would blow up trying to render 12km worth of foliage..

Performance is actually pretty decent IMO, but so far I've only played SP - and performance wise I wasn't really expecting much.. Considering it's ArmA... and an alpha. Hopefully though we'll see a few performance jumps from game optimization as we get closer to release. And I hope Nvidia are releasing drivers to help take full advantage of SLI setups down the road.

Addnan

I am not sure what I am doing half the time in this, but it sure is pretty to look at. Starting to enjoy it.

Is ARMA 2 worth a play? Sold a few TF2 things and can get with that money.

F!ReW!Re

You can, I did it for the choppers. Just drag Mouse Up/Mouse Down (from the side menu) to the control you want them on.

I also have w/s for throttle up and down and a/d for rudders.

I'll give it a try tonight!
Thanks for the tip!

R1CHO

I know this isn't a screenshot thread, but seeing as others have posted a few screens, I thought I'd join in..

Anyway, here are some ArmA 3 screens for you with links to the original 2880x1620 versions:

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

I downsample to 1920x1080 from that res, but FRAPS doesn't give a shit about that and would rather keep the 1620p res.

Although in many cases it doesn't carry over to the screens, the game does look amazing. The only thing that's not looking too hot, is the terrain at a distance, but that's always been the case with both OP:F and the ArmA games. I guess most computers would blow up trying to render 12km worth of foliage..

Performance is actually pretty decent IMO, but so far I've only played SP - and performance wise I wasn't really expecting much.. Considering it's ArmA... and an alpha. Hopefully though we'll see a few performance jumps from game optimization as we get closer to release. And I hope Nvidia are releasing drivers to help take full advantage of SLI setups down the road.

Wellcome man, what an awesome first post. Great screenshots.

Vlodril

Can anyone think of a reason for my changing settings from high and very high to standar removing AA PP visibility etc and i kepe getting the exact same fps ? (15 or less..).

I have an I5,6970 and 12 gigs or ram.

mr_nothin

Banned

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

Probably the best screens in here. Not sure why people hate PP so much.

Wellcome man, what an awesome first post. Great screenshots.

Can anyone think of a reason for my changing settings from high and very high to standar removing AA PP visibility etc and i kepe getting the exact same fps ? (15 or less..).

I can't really offer a solution, but that sounds very weird to me. From what I've read on other forums you should get better performance than that. I'm not too familiar with AMD GPUs, but isn't the HD6970 between the GTX 570 and GTX 580 performance wise?

Have you disabled vsync in the menu, and adjusted the view distance?

demolitio

Didn't take long for a million Wasteland servers to pop up. It'll be nice once they port over a few more items to give it some variety as well.

Loving this game so far as expected. I'm pleased with how it runs for being so early. I need to overclock my CPU evidently. :D

Any idea why zeroing my weapons might not work? I have it all on default but I can't zero anything. Edit: Even after changing keys, it still won't work.

Vlodril

I can't really offer a solution, but that sounds very weird to me. From what I've read on other forums you should get better performance than that. I'm not too familiar with AMD GPUs, but isn't the HD6970 between the GTX 570 and GTX 580 performance wise?

Have you disabled vsync in the menu, and adjusted the view distance?

Yea as i said i changed a bunch of stuff but it makes no difference whatsoever which is the weird part. Very high and standard 3k viewing distance to 1.5 n othing changes at all.

Xyber

If you lower settings and nothing is happening then you are CPU-limited. What version of the i5 is that?

i5 750 2.6 ghz

Might be that the is 750 starting to show it's age, but to me it still doesn't sound right that you're getting ~ 15 FPS with it.
AFAIK it seems the general consensus is that ArmA III runs better than ArmA II. I had an i5 750 when I played ArmA II and had much better performance than that.

Sethos

Banned
By the way, any TrackIR users having loads of problems?

Sometimes everything starts shaking like crazy until you turn off TrackIR, sometimes your view gets "defaulted" to some direction behind you, meaning you just can't look forward any more. Turn off the TrackIR while in that position and you have to restart the game from what I've seen.

Orgun

Sometimes everything starts shaking like crazy until you turn off TrackIR, sometimes your view gets "defaulted" to some direction behind you, meaning you just can't look forward any more. Turn off the TrackIR while in that position and you have to restart the game from what I've seen.

Nope no problems at all.

Oh btw, don't turn Shadows down to Low. That uses MORE processing power just like ARMA2 did, crazyness.

Arucardo

Are you using a Track Clip Pro or the reflective clip?

Salacious Crumb

The performance so far seems all right. I've got every thing except view distance and AA cranked up and performance as infantry seems okay 30-50FPS most of the time. Helicopters are unusable though with dips into the low 20s.

It shouldn't take much tweaking to get an acceptable framerate.

*specs
2560x1440
GTX 670
i5 2500K

Orgun

The performance so far seems all right. I've got every thing except view distance and AA cranked up and performance as infantry seems okay 30-50FPS most of the time. Helicopters are unusable though with dips into the low 20s.

It shouldn't take much tweaking to get an acceptable framerate.

Pfft, low 20s is fine. :)

Sethos

Banned
Finally found my 60FPS settings for 80% of the island, when the large village comes into view or lots of other CPU bound objects it will dip to around 48-50. Obviously not taking large battle scenarios into account as they would probably put that even further down but I'm happy with that as a fresh release.

Now Picture in Picture popping up through the missions on the other hand, holy hell that thing makes my FPS dip to like 25 on maxed settings. ( Mirrors etc. are not making the FPS dip ).

BadTaste

Finally got into it. Absolutely gorgeous considering I was just playing ArmA 2 the other day...

Is that RAMDisk for ArmA 3 tutorial up yet? I tried to look but didn't see anything but I might have just skimmed over it on my phone.

Working on the RAMDisk tutorial again, should be up in some hours.

KKRT00

Finally found my 60FPS settings for 80% of the island, when the large village comes into view or lots of other CPU bound objects it will dip to around 48-50. Obviously not taking large battle scenarios into account as they would probably put that even further down but I'm happy with that as a fresh release.

Now Picture in Picture popping up through the missions on the other hand, holy hell that thing makes my FPS dip to like 25 on maxed settings. ( Mirrors etc. are not making the FPS dip ).

How is CPU utilization? It shouldnt be CPU bound on Your PC, at least not on those scenarious, when Arma 2 allowed for 500+ AI units.

Sethos

Banned
Added this to OP, from a BI Developer;

about performance drops caused by STEAM and how mitigate them

from my own experience this is what eats most CPU from highest to lowest

1. STEM friend-list (even while online, just closing friend-list saves most CPU usage)
2. STEAM chats (the more of them active the worse the overall load)
3. STEAM updating (as uses checksums it needs some CPU and I/O, so make sure nothing is updating)
4. STEAM overlay
5. STEAM IM (switch yourself to OFFLINE for lowest CPU usage)
6. STEAM website (if you keep website open and minimize, it still keeps playing the flash animations for example, so ideally you visit e.g. your profile page as last)

+ then set STEAM to lower priority than arma3.exe

Steam takes up some CPU and the game can be CPU intensive, so it's about making the most of it.

Vlodril

Stop dissing my poor cpu :p (i really need to upgrade at some point).

As for my case new drivers fixed my problem (after i spend an hour trying to make the goddamn ati catalyst center to work..). Jumped to 35 fps with everything high so i am satisfied.

Beaner

I have 2 580's in SLi, whenever I have it enabled the mirrors and RTT screens flash between black and the picture, and sometimes the image in the mirror freezes while flashing. Disabling SLi stops the flashing. Anyone else have this issue?

Didn't take long for a million Wasteland servers to pop up. It'll be nice once they port over a few more items to give it some variety as well.

Loving this game so far as expected. I'm pleased with how it runs for being so early. I need to overclock my CPU evidently. :D

Any idea why zeroing my weapons might not work? I have it all on default but I can't zero anything. Edit: Even after changing keys, it still won't work.

Is it still tied to page up/page down? Also, not all weapons have an adjustable zero.

Xyber

I have 2 580's in SLi, whenever I have it enabled the mirrors and RTT screens flash between black and the picture, and sometimes the image in the mirror freezes while flashing. Disabling SLi stops the flashing. Anyone else have this issue?

A dude I played with yesterday had that too. Also SLI config.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SP is a littlet better but plays about the same as a good server meaning no lower than 40fps and upwards of 70. Playable but I definitely expect to run a game like this better so hopefully performance is improved.

arma32013-03-0610-23-oizbg.png

arma32013-03-0610-23-m0xq7.png

arma32013-03-0610-23-sgxs2.png

This is at 1080p and 2xAA w/SMAA High.

Top Bottom