• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona Police Fatally Shoot Man Who Answers Door

BluRayHiDef

Banned
On May 22nd - 2020, during what appears to be the very early morning or the late evening, two Arizona police officers responded to a call about a supposed incident of domestic violence at an apartment complex. After knocking on the door of the apartment from which the commotion of domestic violence purportedly came, the officers backed out of the field of view of the door's peephole and observed Citizen Ryan Whitaker open the door while holding a gun in his right hand. However, Mr. Whitaker was holding the gun in a non-threatening manner; he had it pointed toward the floor of his apartment.

Furthermore, Mr. Whitaker immediately raised his left hand while attempting to put the gun on the floor with his right hand upon realizing that the people who had knocked on his door were police officers. Unfortunately, despite Mr. Whitaker's logical response, one of the officers fatally shot him three times.

It should be noted that in Arizona, citizens do not need permits, licenses, or registrations of any kind in order to possess guns and citizens are permitted to carry guns openly and to answer their doors while wielding guns.

What do you think about this shooting, NeoGAFites? Justified or not? I personally don't think that it was justified; the officer who fired the shots reactedly way too quickly and irrationally.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Arizona police frighten me. I will never forget that story of that Mesa officer that executed a man in cold blood and was rewarded a PENSION for it.

I don't see why the Justice Department didn't do anything about the case. It was clearly murder and a violation of the victim's right to life as defined in the First Amendment.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
"“I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.” -- Confessions of a former Bastard Cop

That's how they are trained to think. That's why this keeps happening. American Police have complete immunity with a license to kill that is wielded recklessly. It's just a fact.

I've read that the American police are untouchable due to the power of police unions. It's risky to continually penalize officers for obviously wrong behavior when an entire police department can go on strike, which is why officers are rarely prosecuted.

I've read that the American police are untouchable due to the power of police unions. It's risky to continually penalize officers for obviously wrong behavior when an entire police department can go on strike, which is why officers are rarely prosecuted.

Correct. It's called "Qualified immunity." Here's one video explainer on it, but there's more if you search the term. As a result, it is almost impossibly rare for an American cop to be actually convicted and punished for an "officer involved shooting."

CloudNull

Banned
Unjustified for sure. Police need more funding for better training that never stops plus constant psych evaluations. Also the recruitments first being a cop need to change. They only hire people if they at dumb enough.

This seems like the cops are in the wrong here. Of course he opened the door with a gun, It's the middle of the night. They should've give him a window to put the gun on the floor instead of just immidiately shooting him.

people who feel they need to answer a door with a gun in hand
So the guy (presumably) engaged in domestic violence, gets the cops called on him (by his wife?) and answers the door to (presumably, cops outside the door) and gets shot. I'm not a cop apologist, but the video is too blurry for me to make a definitive judgment.

Dacon

Banned
While the guy was a fucking retard for answering the door with a gun, the cops were fucking cowards.

I don't feel like they were totally unjustified in shooting the guy, but at the same time I feel like they, no pun intended, jumped the gun as it were.

highrider

Banned
While the guy was a fucking retard for answering the door with a gun, the cops were fucking cowards.

I don't feel like they were totally unjustified in shooting the guy, but at the same time I feel like they, no pun intended, jumped the gun as it were.

Sadly what you describe as a coward represents a very small percentage of the population that is even willing to initiate contact with a 6 foot guy that’s been in the penitentiary for 10 years turning his body in to a weapon.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

How was the victim a "retard" for answering the door with a gun? He was responding to someone unexpectedly knocking on his door late at night/ very early in the morning; he didn't know that one of his neighbors had called the police and he was being cautious. Furthermore, because the officers backed out of the view of the door's peephole, he couldn't see that it was the police who had knocked on the door.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Guys, despite what Hollywood tells you, it is 99.99999% safe to just DROP YOUR PISTOL ON THE GROUND!

I don't want to keep watching what is essentially a snuff film but if someone knocks on your door and says "XXXX police" why would you answer it with a gun? Why not use the chain, or ask for more info? Just a lot of bad decision making all around on that one.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Guys, despite what Hollywood tells you, it is 99.99999% safe to just DROP YOUR PISTOL ON THE GROUND!

I don't want to keep watching what is essentially a snuff film but if someone knocks on your door and says "XXXX police" why would you answer it with a gun? Why not use the chain, or ask for more info? Just a lot of bad decision making all around on that one.

1. He probably didn't hear them clearly when they declared that they were the police.

2. He probably didn't believe them, because anyone can say that they're the police and because the police backed out of his peephole's field of view and he therefore could not visually verify that they were the police.

jason10mm

Gold Member
1. He probably didn't hear them clearly when they declared that they were the police.

2. He probably didn't believe them, because anyone can say that they're the police and because the police backed out of his peephole's field of view and he therefore could not visually verify that they were the police.
Then why open the door? Realistically, what were the possibilities?

1. Real police= boom you are dead
2. Gangbangers looking to raid you= boom gun battle probably dead
3. Lost/drunk person at the wrong door= why show a gun?
4. Punk kids n-word knocking= look a tough guy flashing his piece!

So of these options, which one is best handled by opening up the door wide while holding a gun?

I'm not saying these cops where 100% in the right, but listening to them things went from 10 to 1000mph in a second because a routine noise complaint turned into "GUY WITH GUN HOLY SHIT!!!!"

Seems to me everyone was in the wrong. Who comes barging out a door with a gun? Maybe look and communicate through the door to figure out what’s on the other side before flying out the door. That shows that guys mindset off the bat.

The cops were also messed up. The guy was complying when he figured out he messed up and the second cop shot him. They want you to comply but then shoot you anyways. Can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:
Seems to me everyone was in the wrong. Who comes barging out a door with a gun? Maybe look and communicate through the door to figure out what’s on the other side before flying out the door. That shows that guys mindset off the bat.
The cops were out of sight of the peephole. They intentionally stood back. Likely to avoid being shot through the door.

mcz117chief

Did the guy survive though? I feel so sorry for them. The girl said they just played on PlayStation and got a bit loud, that there was no domestic violence at all. Seriously heartbreaking, man.

edit: I read the whole report, he, unfortunately, died :( Man, just imagine, you playing a video game with your girlfriend and then you get shot by trigger happy cops because of "noise complaint"...tragic.

Last edited:

The cops were out of sight of the peephole. They intentionally stood back. Likely to avoid being shot through the door.

Which makes sense. But I don’t get why he rushed out to meet a possible threat he couldn’t identify. Screams and aggressive attitude to me. Even if you can’t see someone on the other side of the door he could have talked through it to get a clarification of who was there.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Correct. It's called "Qualified immunity." Here's one video explainer on it, but there's more if you search the term. As a result, it is almost impossibly rare for an American cop to be actually convicted and punished for an "officer involved shooting."

Good to see if you want to murder people u just become a cop and start spraying them down.

Fucking disgusting.

He was on his knees spreading his arms to surrender. The cops are 100% at fault here.

They both are. Cops take the ultimate blame but this guy charged out of the door with a gun not knowing what was on the other side. You have to be an aggressive person to do that. Most people are more cautious when someone strange is knocking late at night and you can’t see them through the door.

xrnzaaas

Did the guy survive though? I feel so sorry for them. The girl said they just played on PlayStation and got a bit loud, that there was no domestic violence at all. Seriously heartbreaking, man.

edit: I read the whole report, he, unfortunately, died :( Man, just imagine, you playing a video game with your girlfriend and then you get shot by trigger happy cops because of "noise complaint"...tragic.
Maybe you shouldn't pick up your gun in between stopping your game and answering the door?

Obviously it looks like the cops were trigger happy, but it's still a very dumb idea to open the door to the cops holding your gun.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Maybe you shouldn't pick up your gun in between stopping your game and answering the door?

Yeah, fuck that guy for...uh...doing something completely lawful in his own home.

I mean, he totally should have waited until after he'd opened the door. If it was a threat he could have just asked nicely for the attackers to wait while he goes back inside for his gun. No sense in having the gun ready in the case of a potential emergency.

mcz117chief

They both are. Cops take the ultimate blame but this guy charged out of the door with a gun not knowing what was on the other side. You have to be an aggressive person to do that. Most people are more cautious when someone strange is knocking late at night and you can’t see them through the door.

Obviously it looks like the cops were trigger happy, but it's still a very dumb idea to open the door to the cops holding your gun.

What is a gun for if you can't even touch it? Anybody could say they are the cops, it is a pretty common tactic for burglars or anyone who wants to hurt someone, you practically disarm them by that. Nah, I just don't think police should barge in on anyone like that, breaching positions and all, using flashlights to blind people etc. I understand that being a police officer is a hard job but this behavior is inexcusable. Knock on the door, be polite, de-escalate or just call the home if possible letting them know you are coming. This wasn't a drug bust or terrorist hideout extermination, they were supposed to investigate. And the guy didn't charge out of the door, he was standing in the door while the guy pointed a flashlight in his face, so he took two steps out and dropped his gun and got on his knees, then they shot him twice, no ambulance, no attempts to help him, literally nothing. Poor training or whatever but a man died and the young women is scarred for life.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned

The cops were also messed up. The door was complying when he figured out he messed up and the second cop shot him. They want you to comply but then shoot you anyways. Can’t have it both ways.

No, the victim did absolutely nothing wrong. The cops are the only ones who are at fault in this situation.

No, the victim did absolutely nothing wrong. The cops are the only ones who are at fault in this situation.

Disagree. Depending on the state opening a door and coming out brandishing a weapon may not be legal. Nor is it smart. If I got a knock on the door late at night the last thing I’m doing is grabbing my AR and blindly opening the door and rushing out without knowing what I’m up against. As I said before his reaction to a knock on the door displays an aggressive response. So if it wasn’t the cops the guy would have run out on someone with his gun. What does that say about him? I’m pro gun but I’m also anti stupidity. His response to a door knock was stupid.

as was the cops. He shouldn’t have been shot but that doesn’t take away from his own mistakes.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Disagree. Depending on the state opening a door and coming out brandishing a weapon may not be legal. Nor is it smart. If I got a knock on the door late at night the last thing I’m doing is grabbing my AR and blindly opening the door and rushing out without knowing what I’m up against. As I said before his reaction to a knock on the door displays an aggressive response. So if it wasn’t the cops the guy would have run out on someone with his gun. What does that say about him? I’m pro gun but I’m also anti stupidity. His response to a door knock was stupid.

as was the cops. He shouldn’t have been shot but that doesn’t take away from his own mistakes.
In Arizona, openly carrying a firearm is legal.

In Arizona, openly carrying a firearm is legal.

Cool. So that is legal. But is it smart still to rush thru a door without knowing what’s waiting for you with a gun drawn. I wouldn’t do it. But that’s up to everyone to discern.

Ffs, he didn't rush shit. They didn't yell Police, they stood away from the peephole, they blinded him with a strong flashlight and when he saw that they were officers and took 2 steps outside he immediately dropped to his knees (never aiming the gun at anyone) and was about to drop the gun as well. This all happened in seconds but nope, Rambo Mc Clown had to unload on this poor guy from behind and execute him.
And that there are people in here defending this bullshit. Wow.

Also that horrifying breathing sound as he dies.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
He didn't exactly rush through the door. The blur makes it impossible to see if he did something really stupid, but it did look like he was complying with the cops and putting his gun on the floor when they shot him. I'm inclined to say that this was not justified, but only people who see the unblurred footage will know for sure.

Ffs, he didn't rush shit. They didn't yell Police, they stood away from the peephole, they blinded him with a strong flashlight and when he saw that they were officers and took 2 steps outside he immediately dropped to his knees (never aiming the gun at anyone) and was about to drop the gun as well. This all happened in seconds but nope, Rambo Mc Clown had to unload on this poor guy from behind and execute him.
And that there are people in here defending this bullshit. Wow.

Also that horrifying breathing sound as he dies.

So you heard his breathing sounds but say they didn’t yell police? They announced themselves clear as day. And yes swinging a door open that quick and stepping out is rushing. Especially if you can’t see through the peep hole. Usually when people answer a door, especially for unknown people they don’t fully open it and step out in a quick manner.

Either way the cop that shot him deserves some jail time as he was complying but let’s not get it twisted that he also made mistakes.

Last edited:
As a non-American my opinion, answering the door with a gun seems stupid, after watching the video the cops also reacted way to quickly, his body language was submissive once he saw the uniforms

My gut says the cops were in the wrong to shoot so quick but outside of america i think most cops would react in a similar way when pretended with a guy opening the door with a gun

Lanrutcon

Cool. So that is legal. But is it smart still to rush thru a door without knowing what’s waiting for you with a gun drawn. I wouldn’t do it. But that’s up to everyone to discern.

Yes. Yes it is. That's the whole point of having a gun for self-defense. You have it at the ready for the unknown. Think before you type.

Either way the cop that shot him deserves some jail time as he was complying but let’s not get it twisted that he also made mistakes.

The dude did nothing illegal and nothing more threatening than opening a door too quickly. The cop shot an innocent person to death, and you're arguing that both men made "mistakes". Just how damaged do you need to be to learn of a person get executed in their own home and then jump to the defense of the murderer.

"Mistakes". Jesus Christ.

So you heard his breathing sounds but say they didn’t yell police? They announced themselves clear as day. And yes swinging a door open that quick and stepping out is rushing. Especially if you can’t see through the peep hole. Usually when people answer a door, especially for unknown people they don’t fully open it and step out in a quick manner.

Ofcourse I heard them "say" police, the people in the home? Pretty sure, nope.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The weird thing is that they seem completely surprised and panicked by the guy holding a gun, even though everything before that seems like they were preparing to face a guy holding a gun.

Yes. Yes it is. That's the whole point of having a gun for self-defense. You have it at the ready for the unknown. Think before you type.

The dude did nothing illegal and nothing more threatening than opening a door too quickly. The cop shot an innocent person to death, and you're arguing that both men made "mistakes". Just how damaged do you need to be to learn of a person get executed in their own home and then jump to the defense of the murderer.

"Mistakes". Jesus Christ.

You think before you type. Why would you enter a situation with a gun drawn without knowing what’s out there. I’m sorry but that is a stupid thought. By you and the victim. Having a gun doesn’t mean you run out the door with it. Have it behind the door for sure but identify what’s going on before you brandish it.

I get knocks all the time. I look at who is knocking before I decide to get a gun. The guy stepped out not knowing what is waiting for him. Like I said, what if it wasn’t the cops but armed people who are looking to do harm. Not only did he fully expose himself foolishly but he exposed his girlfriend by having the entrance fully accessible after he was shot. A gun doesn’t make you Superman, he was stupid, cops or not.

And I’m not defending his “Execution” I said the cop should go to jail and they were ultimately wrong for killing the guy, maybe read all of my posts. I just have the ability to be able to see the full picture and don’t have to be 100 percent on one side of the topic.

Ofcourse I heard them "say" police, the people in the home? Pretty sure, nope.

Thats not what you posted. You said they didn’t yell Police while justifying your position. You were wrong. Don’t back track it.

Sure maybe they didn’t hear it but who opens a door to someone who is not visible?

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I mean, in a country and state where just about anyone can own a gun and people regularly use them to protect their homes perhaps the police should not be so shocked when they run into people carrying them?

Exactly. If they were so afraid of being shot, then they should have approached the apartment with bulletproof shields.

Top Bottom