• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you working from home?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Pretty self explanatory question. How many are working from home prior to or since the pandemic started?

My wife works directly for medical companies and with doctors. She has been working from home since 2018.
I moved from a physical office to a home office in December and am an assistant supervisor for a San Diego-based software developer.
I am being moved up to the full supervisor position in March or April and although the physical office plans to re-open in July or August; I'll still be working remote as I'm no longer physically living in the U.S.

7qSkqco.jpg

Delf

Banned
No sir.
These wrenches won't turn themselves!

Nothing in my life has changed since this whole thing started honestly.
They gave me a laminated card when this shit all started like the fucking Stasi was gonna pull be over and ask why I'm on the roads lol

My wife's work got shut down tho...to the public. She went in everyday and made busy work for herself and her workers. Basically lied to the board that their was work to do. That lasted like 3 or 4 months I think, I forget.

TylerD

Working from home since last March. It's amazing outside of some collaboration problems but that is more due to my team than anything else. Right now there is not been a statement regarding when we are going back. I'll fight tooth and nail to stay working from home as much as I can. My productivity and ability to focus is so much better.

I graduated HS like 12 years ago but I am just now getting my bachelors degree, so I have school from home. I honestly don’t mind it.

side note: I feel old for the first time in my life. I’m the only one who gets the professors’ references.

Last edited:

Aesius

Been freelancing and WFH since Feb. 2014. It's the greatest shit ever. My work ethic is much higher than in the office because when I'm working, I'm actually working. And when I'm not, I can do other stuff. Nothing made me more furious than having to commute to work and sit at my desk from 8-5 regardless of how much work I needed to get done that day.

TrainedRage

Banned
Nope. Back in the school now. Signed up for the vaccine should get it in a few weeks. Working from home was making me pretty depressed and feel like shit most days.

I don’t see why so many people are still wfh. Not too many seem concerned about the virus after the Biden win.

Gp1

Construction/project management here, wfh since march.
The entire back office is wfh (design, back management, administrative, etc.) even with construction being considered essential activity here.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I graduated HS like 12 years ago but I am just now getting my bachelors degree, so I have school from home. I honestly don’t mind it.

side note: I feel old for the first time in my life. I’m the only one who gets the professors’ references.

Good for you man!

yes and it's working well at long last thanks to some 2018 stonks

I'm going over my retirement plan this morning wishing I was ready to retire or go independent. Less than 10 years until I can do so if the market goes well.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

For many years, yes. The only downside I can see is that you don't socialize with your co-workers very well, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a big minus for some people. ;)
Yeah but my productivity is in the shitter, lol.
That takes time for both the employer and the employee to adjust. Unless you were avoiding work on purpose and just clocked in for 8 hours you'll get used to it and you can even become more productive, because there's less distractions. For instance I always struggled to be productive with office sounds in the background or people wanting something like every 10 minutes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WFH since last March. I don't see me going back. My boss & the rest of the team also love it.
I have been since March.
Me too. A shit load of people got sent to WFH in later March.

There's good and bads.

The worst is not interacting with people face to face (including seeing friends and fam much during covid). And I like going out to lunch with people. And VPNing is way slower to access reports than hooking up at the office. I've also had to photocopy big binders of info and had to get boss approval to enter the building!

On the plus side, no commutes, I save money not driving and eating out less, haven't gained any weight (eating more at home countered with less eating greasy fast food), I can get up 10 minutes before logging in, and take naps at 3 pm. But I'll make up the work after dinner while I watch sports.

I also can watch the markets closer with my personal laptop beside me.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
For almost a year now... I'm not a fan. I can't wait to get back in the office but I don't see it till Sept.

The biggest kick in the pants is that my department has been just as efficient and significantly under budget as a result. Travel is a pretty large line item in our budget. They might keep us home but who knows.

Aesius

For almost a year now... I'm not a fan. I can't wait to get back in the office but I don't see it till Sept.

The biggest kick in the pants is that my department has been just as efficient and significantly under budget as a result. Travel is a pretty large line item in our budget. They might keep us home but who knows.
The company I work with just moved into a big new office space in a high rise about 2 years before COVID hit. Now the office has been a ghost town for nearly a year and they've started hiring people nationally and even internationally. It really seems like they are transitioning towards the company being fully remote after realizing that people were just as productive from home.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nope, was in throughout lockdown and still heading in every day.
Having no traffic was so good for awhile, but it's pretty much back to normal now.
I have to say there is often such a big difference between 'essential' workers and the people who went WFH. Going to the movies for example is no big deal for me, but for the people who have been more isolated it can seem like they are risking their life to see Croods 2.

levyjl1988

Banned
Yup, since March. Saved so much on the commute. Sleeping in, not taking public transit, so many benefits. I don't have to spend money on lunch outside.

Susurrus

Mostly, though I have to stop by periodically, but no big deal because I live 2 miles from work.

Honestly it was a pain when my son was distance learning, and other family distractions. Was very difficult to escape and just get shit done. But now that he's attending school, it is less of an issue.

Last edited:

slayerjman

Neo Member
Work in a small hardware store/ lumber yard so I can't exactly work from home. Honestly other than wearing a mask it's like there isn't a pandemic going on we've been busier than ever! I've been working there for Eight years and I've never seen so many people desperate for supplies while acting like monsters towards my coworkers and I.

Top Bottom