• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you more excited for God of War: Ragnarök or Halo Infinite? Which game do you think will be bigger upon release next year?

Which exclusive juggernaut title are you most excited to play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sony can't rehaul the engine because Ragnarok is going to be a PS4 game with some PS5 upgrades. Whoever is thinking Ragnarok is going to be a PS5 exclusive is crazy. Again, for me there's no way for Ragnarok to come out this year. That would be a 3 year development cycle, which would be like the fastest sequel since the N64 era
GOW took 2.5 years to make. The total development of the game took much longer because they built everything from scratch including the engine. They are building off the engine they already created last gen.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Lower selling, lower scoring game is the bigger name

COMMON SENSE

RBMcqcA.jpg
Argue with facts then.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US&tz=300&geo=US&hl=en-US&q=/m/04h6hv,/m/05h1vm_&tz=300&sni=3

Still more interest than GoW even when it's at it's lowest in years.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Argue with facts then.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US&tz=300&geo=US&hl=en-US&q=/m/04h6hv,/m/05h1vm_&tz=300&sni=3

Google Trends, is this a joke?

Your top five queries for Halo aren't even related to Halo games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

0gjxxVt.jpg

Here is a fact. God of War 2018 outsold every single Halo game, ever.

Halo 3 is the best selling Halo at 14.5 million

Hendrick's

Google Trends, is this a joke?

Your top five queries for Halo aren't even related to Halo games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

0gjxxVt.jpg

Here is a fact. God of War 2018 outsold every single Halo game, ever.

Halo 3 is the best selling Halo at 14.5 million
Those are related queries. The comparison is for franchises. Obviously you are clueless.

Yoboman

Those are related queries. The comparison is for franchises. Obviously you are clueless.
Related queries are variations of the search term the same user typed. Eg they searched "Halo" and they also searched "Amazon halo band" after they didn't find what they are looking for

I know far more about this than you, this is my area of work. Google Trends is far from reliable especially when your product shares a name with other products - as the related queries show

You also locked your geo to USA

Hendrick's

Related queries are variations of the search term the same user typed. Eg they searched "Halo" and they also searched "Amazon halo band" after they didn't find what they are looking for

I know far more about this than you, this is my area of work. Google Trends is far from reliable especially when your product shares a name with other products - as the related queries show

You also locked your geo to USA
I didn't compare search terms, but instead franchises. Apparently you have no idea how Google Trends works.

Yoboman

I didn't compare search terms, but instead franchises. Apparently you have no idea how Google Trends works.
Franchises/topics etc. are made up of aggregated search queries that have been categorised in the back end by Google. The high quantity of related queries that are not related to Halo the videogame indicates that there is poor categorisation occurring due to the generic naming.

I work in PPC marketing, this is literally part of my job and nobody uses topics in Google Trends for any substantive reporting, because there is no measurable way to know how effectively Google has categorised something. It is a good keyword research tool, or to identify keyword trends. It is a poor market research tool.

The Halo franchise has queries for Beyonce, Amazon and other games that have Halo DLC. Thats poor categorisation. It is also limited because it is only measuring up to the search results page, not the searches that led to a click.

I'd suggest you stop saying others don't know how Google Trends works when its likely I've got a far deeper understanding of it than you do

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Lmao. In what world is halo infinite going to be better? Halo comes from 2 really disappointed games, God of War comes from one of the best games of the generation. It's night and day really. Nobody cares about halo anymore, they had their three strikes with Infinite reveal.
While god of war may be the better game, due to halo having a huge online fanbase which means the game will be relevant for a longer period of time.

Hendrick's

Franchises/topics etc. are made up of aggregated search queries that have been categorised in the back end by Google. The high quantity of related queries that are not related to Halo the videogame indicates that there is poor categorisation occurring due to the generic naming.

I work in PPC marketing, this is literally part of my job and nobody uses topics in Google Trends for any substantive reporting, because there is no measurable way to know how effectively Google has categorised something. It is a good keyword research tool, or to identify keyword trends. It is a poor market research tool.

The Halo franchise has queries for Beyonce, Amazon and other games that have Halo DLC. Thats poor categorisation. It is also limited because it is only measuring up to the search results page, not the searches that led to a click.

I'd suggest you stop saying others don't know how Google Trends works when its likely I've got a far deeper understanding of it than you do
For someone who claims to work in this area you are being pretty disingenuous. All of the top related searches are spot on. In fact, all 25 top queries are Halo related. Sure there are outliers and the data isn't perfect, but that goes for both sides. If you look back 10+ years, you will see the trend compares rather accurately with the known releases, announcements, and overall popularity.

kSNjs1Q.png

Last edited:

aclar00

Never been a big fan of either franchise, honestly. However, God of War on PS4 was exceptional so I am extremely hyped for Ragnarok.

Halo Infinite? Still no.

I never cared for the PS2/3 versions. Just couldnt get into them...too hack 'n slash type for me, but the PS4 version got me excited and i played and finished it. Hope it stays in this form for at least a trilogy.

After that disastrous showcase of Halo: Infinite - the flagship IP of Microsoft. I'm surprised anyone has hype for it instead of caution. But to each their own.

Larlight

Anyone still believing Halo has any relevance to this day is only fooling themselves. The audience that Halo used to have in the early 2000’s (most of the young adults and teens) have probably moved on. The kids of today don’t give a fuck about Halo as they weren’t there for Halo’s glory days. Like I said, saturated market. Too many people in this thread trying to insist on making Xbox the Halobox even though that was its issues the past decade.

But who even cares, MS would never tell us how much Halo sold anyways. They’ll just tell us Gamepass engagement numbers and count the people who played the game for just an hour and never touched it again. 😂

After that disastrous showcase of Halo: Infinite - the flagship IP of Microsoft. I'm surprised anyone has hype for it instead of caution. But to each their own.

Because we know the multiplayer is gonna slap. Or maybe not, who knows. But yeah we got jebaited with Infinite launching with the XSX

anothertech

For someone who claims to work in this area you are being pretty disingenuous. All of the top related searches are spot on. In fact, all 25 top queries are Halo related. Sure there are outliers and the data isn't perfect, but that goes for both sides. If you look back 10+ years, you will see the trend compares rather accurately with the known releases, announcements, and overall popularity.

kSNjs1Q.png
You know the funny thing about this dude is he uses random internet queries because MS won't release sales numbers. NPD only tells a tiny part of the picture

Södy

Exactly, Halo is dead. Halo went from being a franchise to attract gamers from other platforms to just being an Xbox exclusive to keep xbox fans happy. Nobody is going to buy an xbox for Halo, but someone who's going to buy an xbox will buy halo.

Except for the first sentence, I absolutely agree.

Aenima

God of War. Santa Monica Studio dosent know how to make bad games.

1st new one was amazing, and the ending teasing a fight against Thor makes me excited for the next one. I just hope they go more abitious on the boss fights, while i like more the gameplay of the new GoW, the boss fights from the old GoWs were much more epic.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Ragnarok - Slightly worried where Cory might take it.. but he did such an amazing job with the first I am still very excited.

Halo - After that showing it killed my hype they will need to pull out a unicorn from Phil ass to make me care for Infinite.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can any Halo fans share what the general complaints Halo 5 recieved? I played about 10 minutes of the first level before uninstalling due to the linear repetitive shooting, but I stepped away from the franchise after Halo 2. Curious to see what 343 put on their wipe board at the start of Infinites development.

PS: Is it white board or wipe board?

Dazraell

I'm more interested in playing Ragnarok. God of War was a great reinvention of the series and I'm quite interested to see what Barlog and his team are planning next for Kratos.

Infinite on the other hand... Well, it seems like more Halo, but with more open-ended formula. Not sure if I find it appealing as Halo never really clicked to me as a franchise.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm much more excited to know that Santa Monica didn't have to spend tons of time recreating the engine this time around

I can see Ragnorak having much better bosses and set pieces

I'm not that excited for Halo Infinite but I hope it looks way better than the last showing and is a good game

JCK75

I went Xbox first because of how much value I'm getting out of Game Pass and I am a Forza nut..
but truth is I don't even like Halo very much except the 4 player splitscreen (and if modern Halos don't have that then fuck them)

So God of War is much more appealing to me... hopefully PS5 will be more readily available by the time it launches
(I got an X-Series day one so I should be able to manage to get a PS5 if I try hard enough)

Why do you think that? Sure, ps4 audience is still larger, but a new console need system sellers, and God of War can be exactly that.
Not even horizon Zero Dawn which was released a year and a half earlier is going to be a PS5 exclusive.

The only way for them to release Ragnarok this year is if they were working on it before finishing God of War, and only if they were doing it on a PS4. There's no way this is a PS5 exclusive and is coming out this year. No way.

GOW took 2.5 years to make. The total development of the game took much longer because they built everything from scratch including the engine. They are building off the engine they already created last gen.
If it is a PS5 exclusive then they would need to create an engine from zero. Otherwise, if you're just going to use the same PS4 engine with some upgrades then you may as well release a PS4 version with some upgrades for the PS5.

While god of war may be the better game, due to halo having a huge online fanbase which means the game will be relevant for a longer period of time.
Don't think so. You are assuming Halo is going to be a good game, it won't. Halo is going to suck the same way it has been sucking since 343 took over. There's only so much a fan can take.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Don't think so. You are assuming Halo is going to be a good game, it won't. Halo is going to suck the same way it has been sucking since 343 took over. There's only so much a fan can take.
Halo 5 had a superb online component while the campaign sucked.

Mista

Banned
Definitely God of War. As a Halo head, Halo is dead. That rhymed too btw

Halo is not the same anymore and it won't be ever as long as 343i are behind it

Even though I jumped from Ps4 to series X, god of war was one of my fav games last gen. So I'll go with God of war.

I'll prob get more hours out of Halo though. But it won't be comparable to god of war.

Still don't see God of war coming out this year though.

Haggard

Banned
Argue with facts then.

Guess you didn´t bother to check a direct game trend comparison then.....the related queries in your comparison mostly have nothing to do with Halo Games at all......

royale high halo tier list
Breakout

more_vert
halloween halo 2020
Breakout

more_vert
halo craig
Breakout

more_vert
reme halo led
Breakout

more_vert
amazon halo band
Breakout

more_ve

in other words, your "facts" are nonsense....

Let`s have a direct game comparison:

The interest on Halo Infinite is pretty much dead according to this comparison:

But looking at the related queries those results are also pretty much nonsense:

bottom line:
Google trends is absolutely useless as a market research tool.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

God of War has never stuck with me. Even if I appreciated the last game for what it was I never saw it as that masterpiece many others thought it was. So Halo it is, even though I have my doubts this time.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Voted Halo Infinite because fuck you!
Legit I am actually looking forward to a new Halo game even the one that looked graphically bad at the reveal I was still looking forward to.
I actually enjoy Halos gunplay....so a new one would be worth it for me even if it had lower than "whatever level people were expecting" graphics.
Free to play MP as well?
Sold.

But seriously God of War Ragnarok will be the bigger title at launch, its gonna be a massive launch assuming there are enough PS5s out there to accommodate high sales.
But I do wonder how long people will keep talking about an SP game that every PS5 owner will likely get finish twice then never touch again.
Halo infinite will still have traction come 2023, assuming they can keep that content coming.
Its a free to play game on PC/Console with a AAA budget behind it....theoretically MS should be able to keep the content coming and people atleast remotely interested in it to actually keep playing/spending and talking about it.

CAPSOL

I honostly havent been excited about a Halo since Bungie had it and feel like 343 still doesn't get it. Ragnarok, on the other hand, has my high expectations as Im huge fan of Norse Mythology and the GoW franchise.

MetalRain

I loved God of War 1 and 2, but grew tired of it with 3. Tried a bit of new God of War, but it didn't quite stick.

I haven't played Halo too much so I guess it could hold more interest. However trailer they showed before console releases didn't really look that enticing.

Not even horizon Zero Dawn which was released a year and a half earlier is going to be a PS5 exclusive.

The only way for them to release Ragnarok this year is if they were working on it before finishing God of War, and only if they were doing it on a PS4. There's no way this is a PS5 exclusive and is coming out this year. No way.
Highly doubt they will build an engine completely from scratch when they spent the majority of their last development developing one
They are going to build off the engine they already built for the last game for next gen, like most companies

Last edited:

Vindicator

More into scifi stuff but playing God of War for the first time currently and having a blast, the wait for 4K60fps was worth it, also the combat feels really great.
Halo's combat is not really my cup of tea, especially killing those poor Grunts and the gunplay being inferior to Destiny.
Will play it for the nice environments nonetheless but Ragnarök seems more interesting.

S0ULZB0URNE

More into scifi stuff but playing God of War for the first time currently and having a blast, the wait for 4K60fps was worth it, also the combat feels really great.
Halo's combat is not really my cup of tea, especially killing those poor Grunts and the gunplay being inferior to Destiny.
Will play it for the nice environments nonetheless but Ragnarök seems more interesting.
Why did you bump this?

Anyway I don't see GOWR releasing in 2021.

Halo Infinite I will try and keep my expectations low for and hope for the best.

This will be the final chance I give the 343 Halo games.

If it is a PS5 exclusive then they would need to create an engine from zero. Otherwise, if you're just going to use the same PS4 engine with some upgrades then you may as well release a PS4 version with some upgrades for the PS5.
They can build off the engine they used for the PS4 and take advantage of the PS5 if Ragnarok is PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom