• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you expecting a mid gen refresh this gen?

Are you expecting a mid gen refresh?

• Total voters
It really depends on how long this generation is. I could see them releasing a "Pro" version when you would expect a PS6 . Not anytime soon though.

I think this generation is going to be a very long one. You could argue that the current generation hasn't even really started yet.

The Pro console is the answer for people complaining about 30 fps.

We are two years into this gen, people are still trying to get a xbox series x and a PlayStation 5,but the manufacturers can't keep up thanks to COVID, and possible in the foreseeable future because of the Ukrainian war.

Previous generation already had a little low end hardware, especially Xbox One that was axed a lot in favor of the focus of Kinect they later ditched.

Current generation are much more powerful at release compared to last generation, and we are still seeing cross gen games thanks to the lack of current gen users.

Do you personally expect a PS4 pro/xbox one x update like the last generation, or cost efficient consoles like the new ps5 revamp, or both?

Same as I did with the Xbox One, stuck with it for 7 years despite the mid-refreshes, until the Series X becomes totally incompatible then I plan sticking with that for the next 7 too unless it is absolutely necessary to get the next model...hell I am even thinking about getting a Wii for the first time ever just go back to some Gamecube classics! (Which the Switch won't ever get...well certainly not anytime soon)
Very sad the Wii U never got GameCube compatibility 1080p GameCube games would be awesome

That's a bold statement to make when it's still hard to get consoles.

Reading stuff like this makes me amd other people want to wait a little longer to buy a console. Would hate to see a new version close to a purchase.

This can hinder sales because people don't know what to expect.
I literally told everyone on this forum by late 2024 it will be out but I got disagreement. I don’t own either console (cause my halo series x got cancelled and I wanted a ps5 in non white) but I’m certainly not complaining about news like this

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yes but also expecting a very long gen like the seventh gen so mid gen might not be until like 2024 or so.

TheGecko

Banned
Nothing wrong with giving gamers more options. If the market is there then lets see some balls to the wall systems.

Maybe but judging by Plague's Tale and Gotham Knights, what kind of PS5 Pro (CPU/GPU) would that need and what would it cost to make those games run at 60?
If they release in 2024 like we are expecting they can jump to the same mid-high range rdna 4 and zen 5 (or even better zen 5 3d which would be absolutely perfect for consoles) like how the regular ones are based on mid-high end rdna 2 and zen 2

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
would a ps5/XSX pro with a rx 7700 xt be realistic in 2024 ?

I think it depends on if either platform holder would be comfortable with taking the risk of having a $700+ console on the market.

I'd personally love to buy a high end Series X Elite / PS5 Pro or whatever with a 7700xt and 2TB internal SSD. I pretty much want a console that can do the "Quality"/"Ray Tracing" presets that are present in most modern console games, but at 60fps rather than 30fps. That's pretty much all I want.

I don't realistically expect this to happen though, and even if it did, I think 2024 is too early. I'd guess 2025. But who knows.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

I think it depends on if either platform holder would be comfortable with taking the risk of having a $700+ console on the market.

I'd personally love to buy a high end Series X Elite / PS5 Pro or whatever with a 7700xt and 2TB internal SSD. I pretty much want a console that can do the "Quality"/"Ray Tracing" presets that are present in most modern console games, but at 60fps rather than 30fps. That's pretty much all I want.

I don't realistically expect this to happen though, and even if it did, I think 2024 is too early. I'd guess 2025. But who knows.
im really tired of these pc hardware prices so i would rather pay 700$ for a console that will play every game at high settings

I'm expecting slim versions, but not pro versions. I expect slim versions because it saves the manufacturers money and because this gen's consoles are really fucking big. I don't expect pro versions because we still haven't totally moved away from cross gen releases, so there's still untapped potential in the current gen games.

samoilaaa

I'm expecting slim versions, but not pro versions. I expect slim versions because it saves the manufacturers money and because this gen's consoles are really fucking big. I don't expect pro versions because we still haven't totally moved away from cross gen releases, so there's still untapped potential in the current gen games.
dont worry , the potential will be tapped in 2023 , 2024 at the latest

games like spider man 2 , wolverine , gears 6 , witcher 4 , dragon age dreadwolf will push the hardware to the maximum , the only way we will be able to play these games at 60 fps is low/mid settings with no rtx

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
dont worry , the potential will be tapped in 2023 , 2024 at the latest

games like spider man 2 , wolverine , gears 6 , witcher 4 , dragon age dreadwolf will push the hardware to the maximum , the only way we will be able to play these games at 60 fps is low/mid settings with no rtx
People want true next gen games until they actually get here and these current machine will be playing them at 1080p and struggling to maintain 60 fps

samoilaaa

People want true next gen games until they actually get here and these current machine will be playing them at 1080p and struggling to maintain 60 fps
thats why my main platform was pc , i would have a high end gpu that would run anything but my salary just cant keep up anymore , everything is way more expensive than it was 5-7 years ago , i bought a 1080 ti with 770 euro , now if i want top of the line it would cost me 1200 euro , plus food and utilites are more expensive

my salary went up about 20% since 2015 while everything doubled

I'd say yes but looking at the prospects of the current gen and future market supply I dare to say no. There are barely any games dedicated to the current-gen right now, so it's hard to ask for a refresh soon. I could be terribly wrong because the gaming industry does whatever the hell it wants and people buy into it.

SHA

Non of what we've got up to this moment is revolutionary , all contents been rehashed / represented with newer ideas that's not revolutionary , to put it simply , it's like writing a new story with newer ideas and newer ways to represent contents in a different ways , like writing a sequel for a content we already knew , it's not bad , not close actually , most great games with great sequels follow this path with no issues , but it's not groundbreaking , it's obvious newer hardware refresh demand much more than that and it's too risky to aim for anything below.

Last edited:

small_law

If it was going to happen next year, we would have heard about it by now. I just don't think there's one in the works. If a mid-cycle refresh was being planned, the supply shortages only would have altered the timing and logistics. They wouldn't outright canceled it.

I just hope they learn the lesson from the Xbox 360/PS3 era that consoles can't be stretched to have an 8-year life cycle, at least not without diminishing returns. That hardware was so old by 2013 that it's mind-boggling in a present day context. Do any of you use a phone that's eight years old?

Other than spec improvements and the recent jump to PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, nothing as dramatic and cost-effective as NVMe storage in terms of upgrades have hit the market recently. Even with DDR5, it's going to be awhile until timings get tighter. It doesn't make sense for them to update these platforms to a cost-effective mid cycle spec given what's state of the industry right now.

So I think we're stuck with these guys for another 3 years minimum. After that, big leaps forward are only going to happen when there's real performance gains from new components. Incremental refreshes are what we have to look forward to.

Last edited:
Jesus. I would really hate that. I'm honestly really happy with the cross gen stuff. We're getting games with all kinds of visual options. People who want 4k ray traced get that at 30fps, while other people who want 60 - 120fps can get that at 1440p without ray tracing.

If it was going to happen next year, we would have heard about it by now. I just don't think there's one in the works. If a mid-cycle refresh was being planned, the supply shortages only would have altered the timing and logistics. They wouldn't outright canceled it.

I think it's going to be 2024.

I just hope they learn the lesson from the Xbox 360/PS3 era that consoles can't be stretched to have an 8-year life cycle, at least not without diminishing returns. That hardware was so old by 2013 that it's mind-boggling in a present day context. Do any of you use a phone that's eight years old?

It can and will. Hell, you can argue that 2023 is the real start of the current generation. The last generation was really 9 years. And there will be plenty of last gen games still coming out for years to come - even if it's just P2W.

Other than spec improvements and the recent jump to PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, nothing as dramatic and cost-effective as NVMe storage in terms of upgrades have hit the market recently. Even with DDR5, it's going to be awhile until timings get tighter. It doesn't make sense for them to update these platforms to a cost-effective mid cycle spec given what's state of the industry right now.

So I think we're stuck with these guys for another 3 years minimum. After that, big leaps forward are only going to happen when there's real performance gains from new components. Incremental refreshes are what we have to look forward to.

Consoles don't use DDR5.

I don’t want a midget refresh although one likely will happen. If it does I’m getting rid of either xbox or PlayStation and just sticking with one console from either of them and also whatever Nintendo has out. Shit is becoming a chore to keep up with and life is too busy to juggle three consoles.

Matt_Fox

If it was going to happen next year, we would have heard about it by now.

Actually the PS4 Pro was announced Sept 7th 2016 and released Nov 10th 2016.

Just two months from announcement to release. I suspect we'd have leaks and rumours prior to any announcement of a PlayStation 5 Pro but when the official word comes then the console could follow on fast.

If the same release pattern for PS4 was followed then the PS5 Pro would be announced Sept 2023 and released Nov 2023.

Top Bottom