• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you expecting a mid gen refresh this gen?

Are you expecting a mid gen refresh?

• Total voters

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
We are two years into this gen, people are still trying to get a xbox series x and a PlayStation 5,but the manufacturers can't keep up thanks to COVID, and possible in the foreseeable future because of the Ukrainian war.

Previous generation already had a little low end hardware, especially Xbox One that was axed a lot in favor of the focus of Kinect they later ditched.

Current generation are much more powerful at release compared to last generation, and we are still seeing cross gen games thanks to the lack of current gen users.

Do you personally expect a PS4 pro/xbox one x update like the last generation, or cost efficient consoles like the new ps5 revamp, or both?

Trogdor1123

I’m thinking both. The efficiency thing is a given. They have always done that and it makes sense to do. The pro upgrade is a bit more iffy. How are they going to make big power gains with only a marginally change in price?

tommib

I hope so but it probably won’t happen due to the supply chain misery. From Software better keep that 4K quality mode unlocked so that I play it at smooth 60 fps on PS5 pro if it comes out.

Last edited:

legacy24

I don't really see the point of me upgrading if it does come out. I don't really need more than 1440-4k/60fps, but I can see why people who have 120hz displays would upgrade.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nobody cares about 8K TVs, so the answer is no....

Mid-gen last gen were made because 1080p TVs disappeared from stores in favor of 4K TVs

It's not happening again
Better hardware doesn't mean 8k, but could mean 4k/1440p 120 fps or better.

I know some games offer it now, but it will be less and less the further we get into the gen.

Of course, that could mean a new gen down the line instead.
White consoles start off pretty but they always get grimey and dirty and look awful later on. And That's not even mentioning the yellowing that happens later on.... darker/colored consoles always age better.
I also hated white hardware for that exact reason.

Black hardware is always a win.

Miles708

Sony will want a refresher to squeeze some more money to suckers waiting to double-triple dip, and Microsoft can't wait to get out of the door a new version hoping it will sell something this time.

So i hope not, but it's totally going to happen.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, but later than originally planned. Maybe 2025, PS6 in 2029.

Last edited:
I have no idea of what to expect. They just increased the price of a baseline system at the same time they revised it to save costs.

Xbox Series X, I have no doubt in my mind they'll correct the pcie4 2x lane fiasco and do a revision with 4x (or a revision with pcie5 still stuck at 2x). Not sure it'll be a regular revision or if they'll call it "pro" in anyway. SSD sizes should also increase at some point.
Mid-gen last gen were made because 1080p TVs disappeared from stores in favor of 4K TVs
Good point. But they made money for both manufacturers in the end, it's a business.
White consoles start off pretty but they always get grimey and dirty and look awful later on. And That's not even mentioning the yellowing that happens later on.... darker/colored consoles always age better.
Just like underwear then.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Normally I would say yes, but considering the current situation with component shortage, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Component shortages are done.
The PC market is already in contraction. NVvidia is complaining that they produced too many RTX 3000 GPUs.
Memory and NAND prices are falling fast.
AMD confirmed that there will be sufficient production on N5 for Zen4.
Mining crashed. And with energy prices on the rise, it's not bound to return. And Eth is set to change to POS.
No more working from home due to covid.

Dumb And Dumber GIF

Better hardware doesn't mean 8k, but could mean 4k/1440p 120 fps or better.

I know some games offer it now, but it will be less and less the further we get into the gen.

Of course, that could mean a new gen down the line instead.

But that's not why Sony made the PS4 Pro. They clearly said it was because they wanted to offer a better experience for people with 4K TVs (that had already killed the 1080p TVs)

The chance of TVs changing standard again so soon is 0

If you have a 4k/120hz TV, you are set for the next 10 years

We are two years into this gen, people are still trying to get a xbox series x and a PlayStation 5,but the manufacturers can't keep up thanks to COVID, and possible in the foreseeable future because of the Ukrainian war.

Previous generation already had a little low end hardware, especially Xbox One that was axed a lot in favor of the focus of Kinect they later ditched.

Current generation are much more powerful at release compared to last generation, and we are still seeing cross gen games thanks to the lack of current gen users.

Do you personally expect a PS4 pro/xbox one x update like the last generation, or cost efficient consoles like the new ps5 revamp, or both?
There were 2x perf GPU's available even before the launch of new gen, so I'm not certain how you came to this conclusion. There obv must be "Pro" mid gen refresh unless this gen only lasts till '25.

Pejo

Outside of a VERY small number of titles, I haven't really seen any games pushing the tech as it is on the base PS5/XSX. I think we'll see revisions to make things cheaper/smaller and fix misc hardware issues, but not a PS4 Pro type situation. Hell we're STILL doing a lot of cross-gen games, which is insane given the amount of time we've already been in the current gen.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nopt really but possibly. I do not htink there is any need unlike last gen. I do hope to see some real slim models though.

Robb

Gold Member
Definitely, if only to make the systems smaller so that they can ship more of them at the same time.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Yes, I expect a refresh upgrade on the current Consoles, but idk what features should have the boost on these updated consoles. but mostly fucking MS needs to redesign the fucking UI, it sucks it is so bloated and full of shit it is not intuitive. I just bought a Series X for my brother and we were taken aback on how cumbersome the Interface is. It is Like windows OS that shit sucks!!

Banned
I only expect refreshes from now on.

Microsoft clearly set their whole branding up for iterative console releases.

Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X

Xbox Series S2
Xbox Series X2

Xbox Series S3
Xbox Series X3
and so on.
with options for new model types.
like say a portable one for example. as in a few years it will definitely be viable to have Series S performance in a portable form factor.

their packaging also is already designed with this in mind, having compatibility lists build into the design right in front of the boxes
halo-infinite-cover-pc-games.jpg

so I expect no actual jump from one gen to the next will happen again.

Sony might still try to stick to actual generations of systems, but even there I bet that it will at least somewhat feel like it's iterative instead of generational leaps from now on.

Last edited:

Crayon

Yes, and expensive ones. Sony has gotten away with very few next gen only games and MS has practically none at all. Yet they are still in demand. People are spending just to have the nice new thing. 599 pros incoming.

I'm 100% expecting some sort of model changes. That always happens, but that can just be slim models.

As for actual Pro models? I'm 50/50. It doesn't seem as necessary this time.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Not a chance, the logistics don't work this gen between supply chain shortages, rising labor costs in China and deliverability of the current product. Sony have had to increase prices on the base model as is. The focus is going to be on cost reduction to maintain profit margins. Sony will also be focused on making PSVR2 successful and Microsoft's current model isn't really hardware dependent.

tommib

Yes, and expensive ones. Sony has gotten away with very few next gen only games and MS has practically none at all. Yet they are still in demand. People are spending just to have the nice new thing. 599 pros incoming.
People are spending for those 1 to 2 second load times. Try going back to your RPM hard drive console after tasting next-gen.

Last edited:

Madjako

With 100 TFlops GPU around the corner, 10 TFlops consoles will feel weak...
So it's a yes for me.
Just give me every games 4k 60 fps with ray tracing to the max and I'll get the PS5 pro !!

Yes, if they can squeeze Pro consoles into a form factor no larger than the current PS5/XSX. And ideally at $599, but I could see them doing it even if it costs $699. If it is at all feasible, they will do it. It's an easy way to increase hardware profits.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Sony really wants to be like Apple, with more hardware iterations. I’m not sure the Pro lit the world on fire sales wise. If I were Jim, I’d target a holiday 2024 or holiday 2025 PS6, and have crossgen games for two extra years. Use the extra power for ray tracing and to beef up the VR2 performance. Dev kits and back compatibility should be maintained and seamless, making it a easy upgrade for those that want it. Still gives ps5 buyers a 6 to 7 year span of games.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think so, but I also think that this generation is going to last longer than normal due to Covid and supply issues. Hell, I contend that we haven't really seen full next gen games actually kick off yet outside of some PlayStation games like the Demon's Souls remake, Ratchet, and Returnal. Everything else has largely been cross-gen.

With the component shortage and cross generation games, I have my doubts, but I guess you never know. Personally, I don think we need a mid gen refresh especially when it seems like the consoles rarely get pushed to their limits.

I only expect refreshes from now on.

Microsoft clearly set their whole branding up for iterative console releases.

Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X

Xbox Series S2
Xbox Series X2

Xbox Series S3
Xbox Series X3
and so on.
with options for new model types.
like say a portable one for example. as in a few years it will definitely be viable to have Series S performance in a portable form factor.

their packaging also is already designed with this in mind, having compatibility lists build into the design right in front of the boxes
halo-infinite-cover-pc-games.jpg

so I expect no actual jump from one gen to the next will happen again.

Sony might still try to stick to actual generations of systems, but even there I bet that it will at least somewhat feel like it's iterative instead of generational leaps from now on.
This is the way. I am surprised that anyone still thinks MS is going to do traditional generations rather than Apple style iterations. The only issue is that it might be a pain in the ass for developers having to support half a dozen consoles in the Xbox ecosystem alone.

Banned
This is the way. I am surprised that anyone still thinks MS is going to do traditional generations rather than Apple style iterations. The only issue is that it might be a pain in the ass for developers having to support half a dozen consoles in the Xbox ecosystem alone.

I think Direct X makes this easier for them as it's close to how PC games are made.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Microsoft eventually recommends developers to simply include a graphics options menu so that anyone can simply adjust stuff like on a PC.
so developers optimise for the lowest tiers, Series S and Series X, and if you have maybe a Series X3 you can simply go into the advanced options and increase settings to your liking, maybe with developers having a recommended preset for each iteration that automatically gets applied if the system gets detected.

phones also already do that, and people seem to be fine with it.
modern phone games often have several Framerate caps to choose from as well as graphics settings and resolutions.

with the xCloud presentation they had a few weeks ago they also recommended developers to include not only native Mouse and Keyboard controls but also arbitrary aspect ratios like 16:10, 21:9 and anything in-between to better fit phone screens.

which will also be a great addition down the line if this becomes possible to use on the consoles itself maybe

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Same as I did with the Xbox One, stuck with it for 7 years despite the mid-refreshes, until the Series X becomes totally incompatible then I plan sticking with that for the next 7 too unless it is absolutely necessary to get the next model...hell I am even thinking about getting a Wii for the first time ever just go back to some Gamecube classics! (Which the Switch won't ever get...well certainly not anytime soon)

Last edited:
Top Bottom