• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there still any ongoing videogame stories you care about?

Susurrus

Trails-Series-Timeline-RPGFan-v2-512x720.jpg

The best in the business. It's all one continuing story. That may seem daunting but they are broken up into mini story arcs that new players can jump into at any time. Trails in the Sky 1-3, Trails of Zero + Azure, Trails of Coldsteel + Reverie, and now the beginning of the newest arc Kuro No Kiseki are all their own mini arcs building to a much larger ongoing story. There is crossover between the main characters of one story arc showing up in another story arc as a cameo or an important figure in the story but no longer a main character. The Trails In The Sky Trilogy is not available on modern consoles but is on Steam/PC. The beginning of the second story arc Trails of Zero is finally getting an official English release on Switch/PS4/PC this September.

You got me intrigued, but I want to start on the first game. I'm debating either getting this for PSTV (PSP version) or Steam. They're both the same price, is there any difference? Also does the PC version support controller? I'd be playing on my couch. If no difference, I'm thinking PSTV.

pramod

Banned
Phantasy Star
Panzer Dragoon
Streets of Rage(does Axel and Blaze get married and have a kid who will be in SoR 5?)
EDF (will humanity ever take the fight to the invaders on their homeworld?)

Last edited:

Nydius

Right now, Horizon is the only one I can think of but the ending/not-so-big-twist of Forbidden West has kinda left me less interested than before. That reveal was dangerously close to a jump the shark moment but I'm still interested in seeing what Guerrilla does with it.

That's a great thread premise, it's been a while since I've been invested in an overarching storyline video game wise. My favorite one would be RE, from 96 up to RE4. Classic God of War games also had me hyped story wise, I remember being excited for 3 after beating 2 and that was a great direct continuation of 2 overall! It's been a long time since playing a game series like that, where part of the appeal was wanting more to the storyline. Spiritual successors and original IP games took that away from me. I do wish there would be more sagas in gaming again

Mister Wolf

You got me intrigued, but I want to start on the first game. I'm debating either getting this for PSTV (PSP version) or Steam. They're both the same price, is there any difference? Also does the PC version support controller? I'd be playing on my couch. If no difference, I'm thinking PSTV.

Get the Steam version. Higher resolutions and framerates. The PC ports of all Trails games support controller. Also on the PC ports they have a turbo button you can hold down on the controller to speed the game up while moving through the overworld or in combat.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Destiny season stuff has been realy strong since they brought back saint 14, I’m looking forward where the last 2 expansions go.

YukiOnna

Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy XIV
Yakuza Series
Judgment Series
Resident Evil
The Legend of Heroes/Kiseki
Xenoblade
God of War

Probably more that are not coming to mind, but I'm invested in a lot of series on-going stories that keep my excited for the next title.

Tams

Gold Member
RuneScape.

The often cheesey, tacky, self-aware quests were what made it for me (otherwise it was almost all hardcore grind). I didn't get along with the move to 3 though, and when they introduced microtransactions and what was effectively gambling with real money (on top of the membership) I quit in disgust.

For the best really, as it had taken over my life.

Last edited:

TissueBox

Not alot. New story driven games have taken a bit of a backseat to multiplayer, GAAS, and more mechanics-focused titles these days.

daninthemix

Because I just noticed that I haven‘t had any for a long time. I mean, sure, there are still good videogame stories out there but those, to me, are usually self contained stories and by the end I‘m usually not curious to know how the story will be continued.

Looking back this jsed to be quite different for me, especially during the PSone and PS2 era. Metal Gear Solid, Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter etc. always kept me pumped for the sequel. Not just because of the game itself but because I wanted to know how the story is goes on and what happens to the characters.

The last ones I remember really caring about are Mass Effect and the Desmond story of AC.

Is it just me or are there barely any more big ongoing plots in the industry?
I'm with you OP - Mass Effect was the only one that came to mind. But yeah, early Assassin's Creed was also very intriguing.

Almost all other videogame stories elicit nothing but an endless succession of quick cutscene skips from me.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just waiting for that Pac-Man cliff hanger.

Did he ever get out if the maze? Did he become a ghost? Did the atomic bomb destroy his world?!!!

Susurrus

Get the Steam version. Higher resolutions and framerates. The PC ports of all Trails games support controller. Also on the PC ports they have a turbo button you can hold down on the controller to speed the game up while moving through the overworld or in combat.

Cool, thanks for the info. I noticed the Steam version goes on sale for half off every other month so I wish listed it and will pick it up on the next sale.

Inspector Q

vW8AhzZ.jpg

It sucks though.
Thanks for the heads up, although I think I remember this game coming out way back then. Too bad that for whatever reason I just can't do handheld games. Not sure why, just never been able to get into them.

I will say that seeing a Lunar game with a Ubisoft logo on the cover is like something out of a nightmare, lol.

Handel

Dragon Age story I'm invested in, need to see how Solas's story finishes.

God of War is also of interest, mostly to see how Atreus develops and how they mix in the pantheons.

Yakuza/Judgement, Half-Life, Zelda.
I love FF7 but at the rate they're going with FF7R, I'm just going to move on and not get invested in it.

BigBooper

Kingdom Come Deliverance. I really want to see how they carry that story forward.

Jedi Fallen Order.

The Wolf Among Us.

I'm sure there’s probably another, but my mind's gone. They sure don't do long running series like they used to.

God of War has about the only story arc I still care about seeing through.

I am always happy to see a new Persona story mode though. Also something in the Ico universe. But not sure that really counts as an ongoing story arc.

Majukun

used to care a lot about soul calibur/edge's lore...than SC5 happened, and my epic intricate storyline became an onichan-onesan story

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not really ongoing but I am really looking forward to Hollow Knight 2. The "story" or at least the atmosphere/mood/lore was one of the best parts of part 1.

Half-Life.
God of War.
FFVIIR.
The Last of Us.
Bloodborne.
Elden Ring.

Uncharted assuming it involves Drake, the story in Lost Legacy didn't do it for me.

Last edited:

Zatzuken

Resident Evil - In a batshit anime anything can happen way
Metal Gear Solid - it’s a world I still care about and there’s holes to fill
Yakuza - I feel so invested in this world in a tv drama way
Final Fantasy 7 Remake - Because they have successfully made people who thought they knew it all feel like they have no idea what’s going to happen and I love it

TastyPastry

damn that's a good question op. i'm interested in how the deus ex games will continue story wise if the series ever returns. resident evil is another story i've always been invested in but i'm not sure that i like the new story direction and all the blue umbrella/red umbrella stuff

Kev Kev

Kinda surprised so many mention RE. I‘m one of the biggest geeks for RE out there since 96. The mainline plot has been either very bad (everything after CV or 4) or completely stagnating since 6. As good as 7 and Village were, they neither introduced any memorable characters or got the RE plot anywhere. I‘m dying for a new big story arc with either the old characters (Jill, Chris, Claire, Leon etc) or new ones.
I never felt like RE’s story was very interconnected between games. I also like the story, even read some of the novelized versions of the older games. But after 3 it started to feel like more of an anthology series to me.

Cryio

I want the end of the prequel Deus Ex trilogy.

Darksiders 4

New Splinter Cell

Quantum Break 2 maybe?

Devil May Cry 6?

Sly Cooper needs a proper end, given events of Thieves in Time

Rayman 4 god damn it.

The Trails/Kiseki series.

It is the most lore rich Japanese role-playing game and probably the most lore rich RPG game even when compared to Western games.

Well, there is the Forgotten Realms and Dungeon and Dragons in general which probably beats out Trails but that started off as a table top game so I'm not going to count that.

The only thing that comes close is Elder Scrolls and that's because of the fleshed out cosmology it has.

Not even games like Ultima can compare.

Although I do agree to the story has become somewhat convoluted and I don't know where they're going now. Last I checked the story is still about the nine or so Sept Terrion that each control an aspect of reality. It's basically similar to the Infinity Stones in the MCU except this series even out does Marvel in terms of rich storytelling and background.

Edit: even Gamerant agrees. Trails is number one on their list of most richest and deepest lore for Japanese role-playing game series.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm definitely waiting for the next chapter of Alan Wake's storyline and how it'll find itself in
the same universe as Control

Plague Tale 2 had a nice final scene and I'm hoping to see the third game and find out which direction they'll choose (since now they have more creative freedom).

Deus Ex Human Revolution not getting a proper ending was also brutal, especially since the chances of making another Adam Jensen game are small.

TLZ

Banned
I need a sequel to Life of Black Tiger. You can't leave me hanging like this. I hope we get a surprise announcement at E3 2023 like we got Shenmue 3.

Top Bottom