• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there still any ongoing videogame stories you care about?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Because I just noticed that I haven‘t had any for a long time. I mean, sure, there are still good videogame stories out there but those, to me, are usually self contained stories and by the end I‘m usually not curious to know how the story will be continued.

Looking back this jsed to be quite different for me, especially during the PSone and PS2 era. Metal Gear Solid, Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter etc. always kept me pumped for the sequel. Not just because of the game itself but because I wanted to know how the story is goes on and what happens to the characters.

The last ones I remember really caring about are Mass Effect and the Desmond story of AC.

Is it just me or are there barely any more big ongoing plots in the industry?

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I gotta few that I would like to see progressing.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, considering the narrative isn't 100% like the OG.

Judgement series....if the third one ever comes out.

Deus Ex was super interesting in terms of narrative, until 3rd title bombed hard and the series went on hiatus.

And I know... Kingdom Hearts, despite narrative being amazingly confusing.

Last edited:

begotten

FF7R is a sequel not a "remake" which I think is fantastic and I really don't know what will happen aside from the original story beats. So that's one.

GOW: Ragnarok. I think that's the biggest draw for this game, the lore.

Mass Effect 4. No idea what to expect here but I'm interested.

If the next BioShock is in Rapture, I guess that too.

Marvels' Spider-Man 2. Last game had a pretty big cliffhanger.

Last edited:

Psychostar

I'm also still waiting on a continuation to the FFX universe. I'm a big FF fan but admittedly, my first entry was quite late, and before I got around to playing the older games , I fell in love with X. Blitzball was always fun and the story just really resonated with me, laughing gag and all.

killatopak

Gold Member
Definitely the Drakengard/NieR storyline.

Resident Evil has always been a staple.

League of Legends. Not so much the story but the lore. Story is in a flux since Riot pretty much revamped them multiple times throughout the decade.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout pretty much the same. Not so much the individual story but the progression of Tamriel and America.

Witcher. Read the books, watched the series, played the games. Invested so much in this and now we get a sequel so highly anticipated.

Psychostar

I'd take some kind of sequel to Returnal too. I haven't been so engrossed with a game in some time. After getting that platinum I still felt a strong craving for more. I get that it's kind of "done" at this point as we have enough information to piece together our version of what's happening but damn. More of that please!

Sidenote: Silksong can't come any sooner. By far my most anticipated game. Hollow knight is just such an incredible IP and I can't get enough of it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
TBH not really. Guess I’m just getting old and it feels like I’ve seen everything before. Almost everything is either some safe, boring Marvel-like story, or else some cringe shounen anime shit. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt captivated by a story like I was with e.g. Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, or Mass Effect 1.

The two I am somewhat hopeful for are Final Fantasy XVI and Dragon Age 4. Maybe Starfield too

Naked Lunch

Halo.
Still my favorite sci-fi of any media.
Since the late 2000s, the franchise has released a couple new novels a year of material - and even got a new 500 page Encyclopedia released just last month.

Shame fans of just the videogame side scream bloody murder when the games focus on something other than just Master Chief. The games could be exploring so much more storywise.

PaintTinJr

Because I just noticed that I haven‘t had any for a long time. I mean, sure, there are still good videogame stories out there but those, to me, are usually self contained stories and by the end I‘m usually not curious to know how the story will be continued.

Looking back this jsed to be quite different for me, especially during the PSone and PS2 era. Metal Gear Solid, Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter etc. always kept me pumped for the sequel. Not just because of the game itself but because I wanted to know how the story is goes on and what happens to the characters.

The last ones I remember really caring about are Mass Effect and the Desmond story of AC.

Is it just me or are there barely any more big ongoing plots in the industry?
Not many I can think of. The FF7Remake, but probably the one that won't get a follow up but I'd definitely like to know where they'd go next with the story was the Wonderful 101.

saintjules

FF7R is a sequel not a "remake" which I think is fantastic and I really don't know what will happen aside from the original story beats. So that's one.

I personally like to think it's more of a re-imagining, but I agree on the excitement of seeing it not be 1:1 exactly. Curious to know how Part 2 begins.

Kupfer

RDR2 and TLOUPII where two games I cared a lot and I was not dissappointed.

Otherwise, there are no more game series that interest me because of their continuing story.

Halo, Far Cry, Assassins Creed, F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Crysis, Killzone, Kane & Lynch, Gears of War ... All games from a different time, when I was even easier to get excited about or soaked up everything I could get my hands on. It's different today.

I would love a new Uncharted. I liked Nathan Drake and his friends/family and think it's a shame that we haven't heard from them in so long - the disastrous movie aside.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
TLoZ, FF, and Resident Evil

Zelda games have always been a great joy to experience. FF games I’m new to but the elements that make up these games might be some of the most profound in all of gaming. Idk, there’s still so many games out there to play, but FF seems to be in a league of its own. And then there is Resident Evil, a series in which I am probably the most curious about. When playing any Resident Evil game, that’s when the most questions are coursing through. The games all involve bioterrorism and twisted plots. They’ve always grabbed my attention from just about every angle

Flabagast

Not at all (except maybe FFVIIR but that's a special case), generally stories are much better well-told and rounded up when they are contained in a single opus.

kunonabi

I absolutely want more Xenoblade X but I think that's about it. I'd say Bayonetta but if they're changing actresses I'm out.

Mister Wolf

Trails-Series-Timeline-RPGFan-v2-512x720.jpg

The best in the business. It's all one continuing story. That may seem daunting but they are broken up into mini story arcs that new players can jump into at any time. Trails in the Sky 1-3, Trails of Zero + Azure, Trails of Coldsteel + Reverie, and now the beginning of the newest arc Kuro No Kiseki are all their own mini arcs building to a much larger ongoing story. There is crossover between the main characters of one story arc showing up in another story arc as a cameo or an important figure in the story but no longer a main character. The Trails In The Sky Trilogy is not available on modern consoles but is on Steam/PC. The beginning of the second story arc Trails of Zero is finally getting an official English release on Switch/PS4/PC this September.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I'd like Halo to get into the good stuff from the novels, but I'm not sure if the end of Infinite is going there, there's room for it to. The Primordial, the second judgement of the Precursors, maybe the Endless' hints at time stream manipulation bringing them back. Now THAT would live up to being worse than the Flood, but a random new one planet race, not so much.

I fear the whole 10 year game thing will lead to stories never satisfyingly concluding, like Destiny. The Darkness, the big bad of all the games before now, is here, and it's just like hey bob, I'm your new neighbor.

OZ9000

Banned
Yes

The God Of War series. Curious to see what happens next with Kratos and Atreus in God of War Ragnarok.

Also Halo Infinite. The Endless and Atriox seem to be the new hype.

Last edited:
Trails-Series-Timeline-RPGFan-v2-512x720.jpg

The best in the business. It's all one continuing story. That may seem daunting but they are broken up into mini story arcs that new players can jump into at any time. Trails in the Sky 1-3, Trails of Zero + Azure, Trails of Coldsteel + Reverie, and now the beginning of the newest arc Kuro No Kiseki are all their own mini arcs building to a much larger ongoing story. There is crossover between the main characters of one story arc showing up in another story arc as a cameo or an important figure in the story but no longer a main character. The Trails In The Sky Trilogy is not available on modern consoles but is on Steam/PC. The beginning of the second story arc Trails of Zero is finally getting an official English release on Switch/PS4/PC this September.
YKn0z9I.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Kinda surprised so many mention RE. I‘m one of the biggest geeks for RE out there since 96. The mainline plot has been either very bad (everything after CV or 4) or completely stagnating since 6. As good as 7 and Village were, they neither introduced any memorable characters or got the RE plot anywhere. I‘m dying for a new big story arc with either the old characters (Jill, Chris, Claire, Leon etc) or new ones.

Top Bottom