• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there legitimate games on PC that look better than demons souls?

JLB

Banned
The fact that a launch console game can keep up with the best looking pc games is really good. No game will look as good as DeS on a 400$ PC.

Well, a $400 PC is really on the low end. Its quite possible that theres plenty of PS4 Pro or One X games that look much better than a computer in that range.

Knightime_X

Not...
...Yet
Consoles constantly hold back PC.
PC can't scream past consoles because consoles make more money.

It won't be long before PC yet again as usual has games that completely shit all over console graphics.
Consoles get a head start, PC destroys later.

Literally ever generation.

S0ULZB0URNE

Only with mods. Pics are from 2017 btw

210-2-1498055132.png

210-7-1498055120.png
210-9-1498055115.png

210-6-1498055122.png
no but i do think Bloodborne 4K with mods might

Yoda

I don't think so (my rig has a 2080TI). I've played (on PC) the following graphically intense games:
- RDR2
- Control
- Metro Exodus
- MW

The lighting in Demon Souls really obliterates what I've listed, granted it's a bit unfair for an open world game to match a game where each scene gets a lot of dedicated attention, lets not pretend Bluepoints budget was anywhere near Rockstar's for RDR2.

Not...
...Yet
Consoles constantly hold back PC.
PC can't scream past consoles because consoles make more money.

It won't be long before PC yet again as usual has games that completely shit all over console graphics.
Consoles get a head start, PC destroys later.

Literally ever generation.

Yeah I know this, I was just wondering what games people were talking about when they say that. I don’t know how to post pics or videos but if you play demons souls, or watch a video of it on ign or something you’ll get the idea - I think they just went super hard on making it look like cgi-like with the motion blur and lighting and particles and the way everything moves and feels like solid materials. The only thing I’d say is kinda off is the animations when walking up steps or stuff like that. I know PC will eventually outperform consoles for sure - and I know PC sometimes gets held back by games being developed for consoles cus that’s where the money is.

I get this is hard for people to believe but I am NOT a Sony fanboy. I really have just been impressed with certain features and games that they’ve released. Not through any sort of bias I just honestly am impressed by them. In stills that GTA Redux looks amazing to me - also I know that demons souls allows more time on certain stuff cus it’s corridor-ish. It just looks crazy good like almost film quality to me when I’m playing it. So was wondering what people were referring to when saying games looked better.

Ultimately there is an issue I’m having with PS5 tho and that’s that sometimes it crashes? Like games just crash and it’s not super uncommon - which on console I’m not used to.

I don't think so (my rig has a 2080TI). I've played (on PC) the following graphically intense games:
- RDR2
- Control
- Metro Exodus
- MW

The lighting in Demon Souls really obliterates what I've listed, granted it's a bit unfair for an open world game to match a game where each scene gets a lot of dedicated attention, lets not pretend Bluepoints budget was anywhere near Rockstar's for RDR2.

Yeah totally, obviously these type of graphics I don’t think you could expect from an open world game - the limitations of the game allow it to look as good as it does I think. But it is at this point the only game I’ve played in a long time where I was like holy shit this is like next level graphically. People comin in here accusing me of fanboyism just because I say that honestly - I don’t get it. Maybe you guys are the fanboys or like attached to your system of choice I don’t know. I have the privilege and luxury to play video games on every system if I so choose - the only thing I haven’t updated yet is my pc cus I wanna wait maybe a couple more card generations in.

It's all opinions anyway. Stuff like Control and Metro Exodus with all the RTX features, at high resolution, look like next (current) gen games compared to the console versions.
I will say I’ve seen some videos of control on the highest settings and that with the destruction looked pretty damn amazing.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 is the best looking game ever made imo. If someone told me that it was the next gen only Assassins Creed game them I’d believe it.

Goes to show that AAA visuals at this stage are more about artistic talent and time vs anything to do with hardware.

Yea that's only rendering the whole world and all. pff

He's talking about how many things are interacting/happening on-screen, you want a pretty background any game can do that if you aren't allowed to interact with it in any meaningful way and even then the game requires retarded requirements on PC to look that good.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Sorry but what's wrong with Valhalla in terms of lighting?

It's very clear that some of you are talking without having seen and experienced things with your own eyes.
For whatever reason people love to hate on the AC series. I spend so much time in these games just taking pictures it is insane. I think the game is gorgeous (maybe even more so than Odyssey).
To be clear I am also not poo-pooing on Demon Souls. It is a game of meticulously crafted set pieces. They did a TON with the corridor based layout of the game, spent time really making beautiful assets, and put it together in a package that "remasters" should be held to. They also did that with SotC, the team at BP is fantastic especially when they are given a blueprint and told "go crazy...make it visually amazing".

Last edited:
GOW 5 easily looks better than DS remake on XsX and PC. thats at default 60 FPS as well with more characters on screen.

gears-5-xbox-series-x-the-coalition.jpg

Yeah I’ve been playing GOW5 on the series x and I don’t agree. I mean am I taking crazy pills here? Demons souls looks crazy good like I don’t know why everyone is getting so bent out of shape about it. Of course it will be surpassed some point soon but even in videos of all these games demons souls looked the best to me as a whole package. Am I trippin like what am I having trouble understanding here that is making this controversial to talk about

Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 is the best looking game ever made imo. If someone told me that it was the next gen only Assassins Creed game them I’d believe it.

Goes to show that AAA visuals at this stage are more about artistic talent and time vs anything to do with hardware.
Yeah I mean I played ghosts of Tsushima and that’s all art style I feel like, some times when the light hits it a certain way it looks actively bad to me.

Cyberpunk visually looks amazing - it’s my most anticipated game but I’m not sure if just like a regular image of it looks as cgi-like as demons souls. It will be far more my type of game tho and still looks incredible

Warablo

AC Unity still the king in graphics with Rdr 2. Tlou 2 is more impressive also.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

...you want a pretty background any game can do that if you aren't allowed to interact with it in any meaningful way...
And this is the part of the comment that reveals you have no idea what you're talking about.

A single or a dozen of pretty pre-defined background, seen from pre-defined angles.

VS

An amount of backgrounds more than its humanly possible to craft, that can be seen from any angle, with dynamic lightining, day-night cycle, dynamic clouds and weather, all while still looking like something out of a photo/painting.

Hint: one of these two is infinitely harder to achieve and reproduce.

Last edited:
And this is the part of the comment that reveals you have no idea what you're talking about.

A single or a dozen of pretty pre-defined background, seen from pre-defined angles.

VS

An amount of backgrounds more than its humanly possible to craft, that can be seen from any angle, with dynamic lightining, day-night cycle, dynamic clouds and weather, all while still looking like something out of a photo/painting.

Hint: one of these two is infinitely harder to achieve and reproduce.

No one cares, dude. You just fly over and by all of it. Make a world that beautiful I can shoot with a gun with buildings I can walk into and shit. You're BORING ME.

Guilty_AI

No one cares, dude. You just fly over and by all of it. Make a world that beautiful I can shoot with a gun with buildings I can walk into and shit. You're BORING ME.
GOW and TLoU also bore me with their uninteresting stories uninspired mechanics, yet they keep shitting out games like those all the time.
No game can make everyone satisfied.

Last edited:
GOW and TLoU also bore me with their uninteresting stories uninspired mechanics, yet they keep shitting out games like those all the time.
No game can make everyone satisfied.

We're arguing visuals, those games are more impressive because you interact with the environments and humans are harder to get right than planes. I wasn't simply calling Flight Sim boring from a gameplay perspective, but as far as graphics tech goes it's just a bunch of stuff you fly over.

Guilty_AI

We're arguing visuals, those games are more impressive because you interact with the environments and humans are harder to get right than planes. I wasn't simply calling Flight Sim boring from a gameplay perspective, but as far as graphics tech goes it's just a bunch of stuff you fly over.
Dynamic lightining.
Dynamic fully 3D clouds.
Ultra ultra far draw distances.
Millions upon millions upon millions of objects on screen.

Some of these are among the hardest and most demanding as far as game graphics go. Theres a reason why Flight simulators have always been so demanding hardware-wise. Sure you just "fly over" them, doesn't make it any less demanding or impressive.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Yeah I mean I played ghosts of Tsushima and that’s all art style I feel like, some times when the light hits it a certain way it looks actively bad to me.

Cyberpunk visually looks amazing - it’s my most anticipated game but I’m not sure if just like a regular image of it looks as cgi-like as demons souls. It will be far more my type of game tho and still looks incredible

Almost all AAA games impressive visuals are down to great art direction nowadays though. That’s an outdated argument imo.

Name any game and it’s art direction from RDR2 to BotW to TLOU II to Horizon to CP2077.

Dynamic lightining.
Dynamic fully 3D clouds.
Ultra ultra far draw distances.
Millions upon millions upon millions of objects on screen.

Some of these are among the hardest and most demanding as far as game graphics go. Theres a reason why Flight simulators have always been so demanding hardware-wise. Sure you just "fly over" them, doesn't make it any less demanding or impressive.

Man, you FS guys are so annoying, again NO ONE CARES about your interactive screen saver being good looking. We like games with actual interactivity to look good, it's more impressive.

Almost all AAA games impressive visuals are down to great art direction nowadays though. That’s an outdated argument imo.

Name any game and it’s art direction from RDR2 to BotW to TLOU II to Horizon to CP2077.

I guess this is true to a degree -if I’m completely honest almost all games nowadays have impressive graphics. Like you mentioned BOTW one of my top games - it’s not technically like astounding to look at but the art style does make it beautiful. Red Dead obviously quality - never played it on pc to see the full extent but hell it still looked awesome to me - it’s very rare that I see a game that has legitimately bad graphics I feel like. Maybe cus I grew up during the n64 era

EDIT: I also find flight simulator to look pretty damn stunning. I’ve always wanted a flying game to have like the acfual city fully rendered below it - can’t run on my pc for shit tho and not my personal taste in games. I hope whatever the next flying combat game is does a similar thing

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Man, you FS guys are so annoying, again NO ONE CARES about your interactive screen saver being good looking. We like games with actual interactivity to look good, it's more impressive.
Regardless of what you think of the game, it is a fact that FS is objectively more impressive in terms of tech than shooter A or Souls-like B. That your opinion cannot change.

Last edited:
Regardless of what you think of the game, it is a fact that FS is objectively more impressive in terms of tech than shooter A or Souls-like B. That your opinion cannot change.

That's a stupid thing to say. Tell me is the animation tech superior? Facial models? Destructibility? What about tech that involves instantly loading alternate worlds? What about tech that governs many AIs at once? Like WTF are you on about.

None that I know of but eventually they will come. Now that we have a higher baseline for game development with the new consoles I expect PC games to catch up and surpass Demon's Souls in time. The reason we haven't seen any PC games of that kind of fidelity yet is that AAA PC games are multiplats based on engines designed to run on the weak last gen consoles. Yea they run at much higher resolutions on a beefy PC and have new and cool effects but at their core they are still last gen games. Once multiplat devs move on to engines designed strictly for next gen then Demon's Souls will be surpassed.

daninthemix

Yes it has an attractive image but if you lean in there's nothing more to see - there's no fine detail. Same can be said for various PS4 (Pro) games I've played.

Last edited:
Yes. Ori and some other games.
If you don't talk from a technical perspective, but rather art style and assets it comes down to personal preferences anyways.

Yeah I guess it’s a mix of both though - I haven’t played ori but isn’t it 2d? Like I’m talking about games where you can show a non-gamer it and they’d be like what the fuck that’s what games look like now?!? Like demon souls I know has a lot of technical trickery that helps make it look better. Stuff it prioritizes over using something like raytracing let’s say which is far more “technically” impressive - but it’s not something you could immediately recognize from watching gameplay if it has RT GI or not cus it looks like it does but apparently it doesn’t.

I’ve seen the vids. It’s a great looking game but looks like a top end PS4 game to me. It does not look next gen.
Huh, fair enough then. I guess more subjective than I thought. It’s the only game I’ve seen that looks “next gen” to me when playing. Far above TLOU2 or anything - like little qualities of it like the particle effects and stuff I think make it stand out. And maybe the player character model armor materials - like all the materials in the world look next gen to me. I don’t know what the technical term for that is. But they look more like physically there than in most games I’ve played? Is that a thing i dunno

EDIT: side note that I see people missing - Half Life Alyx graphics are so up close detailed that it can look damn near photorealistic at points - so as I said this only applies to flat screen gaming. When I play something in VR it feels like the actual graphics are way more impressive cus ur in the world. Graphics in regular games don’t totally impress me as much for some reason now because you’re not like inside of the world and seeing the texture on everything

Last edited:

Tschumi

I just got a ps4 pro, taking advantage of post-ps5 reductions in second hand console costs, and i gotta say these games look perfectly, sufficiently good to me and consequently I've lost all motivation for forum graphics intrigue

I just got a ps4 pro, taking advantage of post-ps5 reductions in second hand console costs, and i gotta say these games look perfectly, sufficiently good to me and consequently I've lost all motivation for forum graphics intrigue
PS4 games still look amazing no doubt - but I only ever had a base PS4 and not playing on some really nice TV so maybe I didn’t see their full potential.

Tschumi

PS4 games still look amazing no doubt - but I only ever had a base PS4 and not playing on some really nice TV so maybe I didn’t see their full potential.
Yeah tbh i regret shelling out for the pro because my tv isn't crash hot anyway.. but eh at least I'll get a few ps5 games if i want.. cyberpunk will run better in my pro than my laptop for sure

Yeah tbh i regret shelling out for the pro because my tv isn't crash hot anyway.. but eh at least I'll get a few ps5 games if i want.. cyberpunk will run better in my pro than my laptop for sure

Yeah honestly I’d look into some of the TV deals they have goin right now - it makes more of a difference than I thought it would. I think I got my toshiba 4k hdr smart tv for like $250? It’s bottom of the line in terms of good tvs but way better than what I was using.

Tschumi

Yeah honestly I’d look into some of the TV deals they have goin right now - it makes more of a difference than I thought it would. I think I got my toshiba 4k hdr smart tv for like $250? It’s bottom of the line in terms of good tvs but way better than what I was using.
Might try that, thanks :) good idea

ClosBSAS

Star citizen already tops it. Metro with rtx on ultra destroys it. I mean come on, demons souls looks good but i can assure you its nothing mindboggling. Maybe for console users who have had a generational leap in graphics.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well... there are some things we should consider first:

1. PC gaming is always technically more impresive than console gaming, due to devs putting a good part of "optimizations" in players hands (almost unlimited hardware upgradability)

2. PC gaming is already next-gen ready like 1 or 2 years before consoles next gen, current 2080 cards will already run PS5 games at low/mid/high combinations of settings at probably 1440p fixed resolution by the rest of the generation. A lot of players went till mid gen with GTX 9xx cards with no issues at all.

3. Most PC games are console ports, if there's not something as "visually outstanding" on PC it's because it's basically running prev gen optimized games. I'm totally sure DeS will run on PC same or better with RTX 2xxx cards.

4. DeS doesn't even look THAT good, to begin with, I think it can be run by PS4 reducing assets resolution and some level of details but it would be almost identical for most people (yes, those that don't have 4K TVs like... 90% of gamers or more).

5. PC gaming is THE competitive gaming platform so exclusives are supposed to run at as many FPS as it can hold more than with more effects.

PC gaming is just another beast, PS5 isn't some miracle machine that PC can't match... current PCs are already more powerful or as much as PS5 given a budget (which will be much smaller due to new cards and components)

kuncol02

Banned
Right now? No. Nothing is in the same league. From a visual fidelity stand point... The game is Jaw dropping.

McjU2WF.jpg
That screen is bad. like really really bad. For moment I was wondering if that's original of remake. Grass not only comes from middle of flagstones but also totally not connected to worlds. Wood straight from PS3 era. Not only it looks like clean cut instead of being broken into pieces but texture of burning one is straight from PS3 era games. Character glow totally destroys all details it could have. If that's how DS remake is looking most of time, then you guys are delusional. It's not only not best looking game, but it's straight ugly as hell. Even games like Gears 5 (and it run in 60fps) on previous generation looks better than that thing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
EDIT: side note that I see people missing - Half Life Alyx graphics are so up close detailed that it can look damn near photorealistic at points - so as I said this only applies to flat screen gaming. When I play something in VR it feels like the actual graphics are way more impressive cus ur in the world. Graphics in regular games don’t totally impress me as much for some reason now because you’re not like inside of the world and seeing the texture on everything

I've spent hours just picking up stuff and looking close in Half Life Alyx. It's an amazing game. It's the only game I've bought in the last 5 years that has made me upgrade my graphics card.

Top Bottom