• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any networking guru's on GAF? PS5 share play refuses to work and I don't know why...Tried EVERYTHING

wvnative

Seeing as your situation somewhat requires stealth and precision as far as adjustments go. Here's what I would try.

You can google how port forwarding is done on your router. Make an hour of it, read all the results with a title that seems comparable. Watch several of the YouTube videos it suggests. After awhile the rubbish info will fade, and the relevant info will begin to become more clear. Google what all ports need forwarded for the PS5.

After you've done that go have another look at your routers settings. Little things like making sure you disabled Upnp prior to forwarding ports will make you give up technology altogether. Make sure you've got all the right port numbers in the right boxes. Make sure the correct static IP address is set to your PS5.

Looking back through your comments, there's definitely some additional things that you might not have considered. Am I correct in believing the 3 following things?
1. You have $5-10.
2. Your connection enters your house with an ethernet cable that comes up through the floor?
3. Your PS5 is wired directly into your router?

If those 3 things are true, there's an incredibly simple path to bypassing your router, and thus giving you a far better indication of if your problem is with your router or your ISP.

Go to Best Buy. If that's not doable, go on Amazon, if that's a no go, go to Home Depot. If none of these are an option, go find the nearest isp company, tech whatever. Pay the $5 bucks for a double female ethernet connector. Tell your parents that some there's some lost looking dude from the Publisher's Clearing House out by the mailbox holding a ridiculously oversized check. Once they clear the porch in a full sprint, take your newly acquired ethernet connector, unplug both the wire going into your router from the PS5 as well as the one coming up from the floor. Connect them together with the connector, and go see what the results are on the PS5. Don't worry, you've got plenty of time. Your parents will still be desperately searching for the Clearing House fella. Even if they've figured out your distraction, they'll be so out of breath that time is still on your side.

If it works, it's the router, if it still doesn't work, it's your ISP.

i know I've set up static ip and port forwarding correctly.

But your other suggestion, I'm definitely going to try that. never even occurred to me to try finding a way to bridge the cables. thanks, still might not be able to try it for a couple weeks but that will be what i try next. Thanks!!!!!

PaintTinJr

i know I've set up static ip and port forwarding correctly.

But your other suggestion, I'm definitely going to try that. never even occurred to me to try finding a way to bridge the cables. thanks, still might not be able to try it for a couple weeks but that will be what i try next. Thanks!!!!!
If it is just a ethernet cross-over adapter, you shouldn't need one. Like a laptop Ethernet port, a PlayStation Ethernet port - since the PS3 gen - has the ability to work in straight thru mode or cross-over, and negotiates the port config - hence why they can do console to console cloning going direct port to port, so your ISP ethernet should work going direct into your Ps5.

Also, just in case, check your ports aren't setup with both a UDP and TCP rule for the same things. If a service needs TCP, then potentially adding a UDP rule before it in the firewall rules list can block the TCP layer 4 protocol, so if in doubt, just go for TCP rules and they'll naturally pass the lower UDP data anyway. I only say this, because it is possible that Share play on PS4 might use UDP for both viewing and controlling , while the PS5 might use UDP for viewing, but enforces use of TCP for controlling a session, and your rule order could be blocking the TCP connection.

Did you also go back and check the privacy settings on your PSN account with your PS5? It is possible that the less coarse rules for privacy on PS4 allow it to work there, and you've maybe blocked some privacy feature via PS5 that blocks controlling a session inadvertently on the next-gen console.

Shame about your mobile coverage in your area, as an alternative I would say if you have a spare laptop to use, but might require setting up a (windows) bridge adapter on wifi and ethernet - plugging the ethernet into the router, and serving the PS4/PS5 by wifi on it, and run a free proxy server to proxy through the laptop - although the proxy might provide the bridging of interfaces itself.

If the Ps4 still works through the proxy, but the PS5 sees no change, then the difference in traffic passing through the proxy for each attempt, should give you better info about where the traffic is being blocked.

wvnative

If it is just a ethernet cross-over adapter, you shouldn't need one. Like a laptop Ethernet port, a PlayStation Ethernet port - since the PS3 gen - has the ability to work in straight thru mode or cross-over, and negotiates the port config - hence why they can do console to console cloning going direct port to port, so your ISP ethernet should work going direct into your Ps5.

Also, just in case, check your ports aren't setup with both a UDP and TCP rule for the same things. If a service needs TCP, then potentially adding a UDP rule before it in the firewall rules list can block the TCP layer 4 protocol, so if in doubt, just go for TCP rules and they'll naturally pass the lower UDP data anyway. I only say this, because it is possible that Share play on PS4 might use UDP for both viewing and controlling , while the PS5 might use UDP for viewing, but enforces use of TCP for controlling a session, and your rule order could be blocking the TCP connection.

Did you also go back and check the privacy settings on your PSN account with your PS5? It is possible that the less coarse rules for privacy on PS4 allow it to work there, and you've maybe blocked some privacy feature via PS5 that blocks controlling a session inadvertently on the next-gen console.

Shame about your mobile coverage in your area, as an alternative I would say if you have a spare laptop to use, but might require setting up a (windows) bridge adapter on wifi and ethernet - plugging the ethernet into the router, and serving the PS4/PS5 by wifi on it, and run a free proxy server to proxy through the laptop - although the proxy might provide the bridging of interfaces itself.

If the Ps4 still works through the proxy, but the PS5 sees no change, then the difference in traffic passing through the proxy for each attempt, should give you better info about where the traffic is being blocked.

Oh yeah it would work I just can't get it to my PS5 easily

Double checking now and yeah looks like I mixed the rules up, fixing now.

I don't see anything in privacy settings that would block share play and even in the unlikely event I am missing something surely that would throw up a legit error rather than just get stuck?

Never used windows bridge adapter, how does that work?

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Oh yeah it would work I just can't get it to my PS5 easily

Double checking now and yeah looks like I mixed the rules up, fixing now.

I don't see anything in privacy settings that would block share play and even in the unlikely event I am missing something surely that would throw up a legit error rather than just get stuck?

Never used windows bridge adapter, how does that work?
If you mixed the rules up, are the Ps4 rules still present - or complete removed for the Ps5 rules ?

IIRC typically you would need to map to a different internal port if running two of the same network services for two different devices - eg say two minecraft servers would need both their serving port and their remote console ports to use different port numbers, so the rules wouldn't override the forwarding rule for the first.

My Mikrotik router catches those config errors and warns or blocks setting active rules in conflict IIRC, so if yours doesn't, it is possible the PS5 rules are just being ignored - although given you said it is just your ability to attach fully as a client by PS5 to control friends sessions, this doesn't seem like a realistic cause of the problem.

Bridging in Windows is just doing what a router does to bridge WiFi and LAN interfaces to each other and to the WAN interface - although Windows isn't running a DNS or DHCP service, so when you connect a PS5 via wifi to the laptop's wifi - set to adhoc mode, rather than AP mode - you also need to config windows 10 network adapters and manually provide the static IPs (typically within your normal class IPv4 Class C address range eg 192.168.1.x, with appropriate subnet mask eg 255.255.255.0) for both ends of the wifi connection , and usually manual provide DNS servers too on the Win 10 IPv4 network tab - eg say Google's known ones or the ones your isp provides for your router's WAN port interface, currently.

Then all you need do to bridge the interfaces, is go through the window's control panel (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections) select both the wifi and ethernet adapter - you've already got correctly configured and connected to PS5 and router or WAN cable - and right click on one of the interfaces, and then choose the Bridge Connections option from the context menu. That will create a new item in Windows' Network Connections representing the bridge - which you delete to un-bridge the connections, and revert to normal.

wvnative

If you mixed the rules up, are the Ps4 rules still present - or complete removed for the Ps5 rules ?

IIRC typically you would need to map to a different internal port if running two of the same network services for two different devices - eg say two minecraft servers would need both their serving port and their remote console ports to use different port numbers, so the rules wouldn't override the forwarding rule for the first.

My Mikrotik router catches those config errors and warns or blocks setting active rules in conflict IIRC, so if yours doesn't, it is possible the PS5 rules are just being ignored - although given you said it is just your ability to attach fully as a client by PS5 to control friends sessions, this doesn't seem like a realistic cause of the problem.

Bridging in Windows is just doing what a router does to bridge WiFi and LAN interfaces to each other and to the WAN interface - although Windows isn't running a DNS or DHCP service, so when you connect a PS5 via wifi to the laptop's wifi - set to adhoc mode, rather than AP mode - you also need to config windows 10 network adapters and manually provide the static IPs (typically within your normal class IPv4 Class C address range eg 192.168.1.x, with appropriate subnet mask eg 255.255.255.0) for both ends of the wifi connection , and usually manual provide DNS servers too on the Win 10 IPv4 network tab - eg say Google's known ones or the ones your isp provides for your router's WAN port interface, currently.

Then all you need do to bridge the interfaces, is go through the window's control panel (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections) select both the wifi and ethernet adapter - you've already got correctly configured and connected to PS5 and router or WAN cable - and right click on one of the interfaces, and then choose the Bridge Connections option from the context menu. That will create a new item in Windows' Network Connections representing the bridge - which you delete to un-bridge the connections, and revert to normal.

They're gone, I never set up rules when I had my PS4.

Anyway, if other people, or the same people, have more ideas/suggestions, feel free to keep them coming, but the next couple weeks of my life are crazy so I won't be able to fool with this for a bit.

wvnative

Seeing as your situation somewhat requires stealth and precision as far as adjustments go. Here's what I would try.

You can google how port forwarding is done on your router. Make an hour of it, read all the results with a title that seems comparable. Watch several of the YouTube videos it suggests. After awhile the rubbish info will fade, and the relevant info will begin to become more clear. Google what all ports need forwarded for the PS5.

After you've done that go have another look at your routers settings. Little things like making sure you disabled Upnp prior to forwarding ports will make you give up technology altogether. Make sure you've got all the right port numbers in the right boxes. Make sure the correct static IP address is set to your PS5.

Looking back through your comments, there's definitely some additional things that you might not have considered. Am I correct in believing the 3 following things?
1. You have $5-10.
2. Your connection enters your house with an ethernet cable that comes up through the floor?
3. Your PS5 is wired directly into your router?

If those 3 things are true, there's an incredibly simple path to bypassing your router, and thus giving you a far better indication of if your problem is with your router or your ISP.

Go to Best Buy. If that's not doable, go on Amazon, if that's a no go, go to Home Depot. If none of these are an option, go find the nearest isp company, tech whatever. Pay the $5 bucks for a double female ethernet connector. Tell your parents that some there's some lost looking dude from the Publisher's Clearing House out by the mailbox holding a ridiculously oversized check. Once they clear the porch in a full sprint, take your newly acquired ethernet connector, unplug both the wire going into your router from the PS5 as well as the one coming up from the floor. Connect them together with the connector, and go see what the results are on the PS5. Don't worry, you've got plenty of time. Your parents will still be desperately searching for the Clearing House fella. Even if they've figured out your distraction, they'll be so out of breath that time is still on your side.

If it works, it's the router, if it still doesn't work, it's your ISP.

Looks like it is somehow my isp, i finally tried the direct connection and got the same result... connecting to host forever until i cancel it

Three

Looks like it is somehow my isp, i finally tried the direct connection and got the same result... connecting to host forever until i cancel it
It can't be your isp. Direct connection doesn't even go through the router let alone your isp. You need to make sure it is looking for the correct PS5.
Edit: oh you are not talking about remote play but share play

Last edited:

wvnative

I'm no networking guru. More of of a Macgyver kinda guy (don't worry if you don't get it, it's a very old show). So here is my contribution.

If you have a mobile phone, create a hotspot with it, and get your PS5 to scan for that hotspot and connect. Then see if you can share very quickly and cut it off very fast of course, don't want to have extra charges to your plan.

Does this answer anything? Maybe not, especially if your phone is with the same provider. But if your phone is with another company and it works, you just tried another ISP without signing up to another ISP.

This normally would have been the first thing i would have tried but as stated earlier in the thread, i live in the foothills of NC, ain't no cell phone signal out here.

wvnative

It can't be your isp. Direct connection doesn't even go through the router let alone your isp. You need to make sure it is looking for the correct PS5.
Edit: oh you are not talking about remote play but share play
Thread has gone so long now i can't remember if i mentioned this before now...but remote play doesn't work either. although i don't really care about that

wvnative

Well...ISP claims they don't block anything.

Running out of ideas, but VPN is the last thing I haven't tried yet. Hopefully I can do that this weekend

wvnative

Tried VPN....didn't work. unless I'm forgetting something, that is everything. I'm out of leads now.

Final update on this topic unless someone has more ideas. I just hooked up my PS4 for now. PITA though

Top Bottom