• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any Good Anime Games Actually?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
The Fruit of Grisaia count? It's on the eShop.

_Ex_

A few really good anime games, that are actually based on anime:

58264_front.jpg

307142_front.jpg

42064_front.jpg

24215_front.jpg

106645_front.jpg

95716_front.jpg

4137_front.jpg

111228_front.jpg

I could think of quite a few more, but this stuff is too old for 95% of this forum's demographic. :lollipop_confused:

The point is, yes good anime games do exist.

Last edited:

Outlier

Technically (IMO) Final Fantasy Vii Remake is an "Anime" game.

It's softcore anime, but still anime.

I generally dislike the standard anime style, but FF7R uses it more so in certain scenes, rather than frequently. I DREADED the anime aspects of it, but I swallowed that pill and actually really enjoyed it.

It doesn't LOOK like anime and it sparingly uses anime styled scenes. If i have to play an "anime" game, this is what I'd prefer.

If this is not anime enough for you, then godspeed. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Err… I’d say Cold Steel is bad example of anime stories done right.

Reactions: Isa

Arsic

Tales of Vesperia and Berseria are well worth your time in this regard.

Dragon Quest XI is simple in its story but well done with a big surprise half way through.

I recently enjoyed the new Sword Art Online Alicization game. Not a looker and has some issues but it was a good addage to the most recent arcs.

SinDelta

Is 13 Sentinels an anime game?
13 Sentinels is a anime influenced masterpiece most anime and Hollywood in its entirety in my opinion can only aspire to.

I also second Dragon Quest XI as one of the best games ever made. Its tone is like a very western themed Dragon Ball RPG hybrid with your western like castles, knights and dragons combined with Dragon Ball like characters, quirkiness, power escalation (and way more coherent and engaging writing.) There are moments that caught me off guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
We should try finding some good anime first, before getting to the adaptation stage. No, seriously, any good anime recommendations? Please spare me the Shonen crap! Thanks...😗😗😗

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Dragon Ball FighterZ -one of the best licensed games ever made.
Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA) -one of Treasure's best. pushes the GBA to its limit and very challenging.
Killer 7 -no nonsense Suda 51 masterwork with the ultra violence of a Ninja Scroll.
Killer is Dead -pretty much ditto to K7 but of a lower quality.
Gundam Vs series -a surprisingly deep game using Virtual On as its template.
Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie -among the best of the snes shmups.

All good/great.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Trails in the sky is great with well written non-stereotypical characters (for anime game, Not "Disco Elysium well written level").
But with Trails if cold steel it all went to stereotype school anime Drama types of characters. What a pity.

Trails in the Sky is amazing. The bigger studios can sure learn from these games in some ways.

I'll bite. What have you tried already, and what didn't you like ?

Most Shonen 15-20 years ago. I like One Piece as a whole, despite some weak arcs, and enjoyed Hunter X Hunter for the most part. I am yet to finish Megalobox, but the three episodes that I have watched were very enjoyable. Monster is fantastic...I have been reading manga and watching animes since the late 80s, so I am immune to the tropes and, being older than the majority here, find the archetypical production childish and annoying. Perhaps some more thoughtful/darker/more serious in tone works would do? 🤔

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Most Shonen 15-20 years ago. I like One Piece as a whole, despite some weak arcs, and enjoyed Hunter X Hunter for the most part. I am yet to finish Megalobox, but the three episodes that I have watched were very enjoyable. Monster is fantastic...I have been reading manga and watching animes since the late 80s, so I am immune to the tropes and, being older than the majority here, find the archetypical production childish and annoying. Perhaps some more thoughtful/darker/more serious in tone works would do? 🤔
Watch Oddtaxi, series really, REALY good show.

That Lupin PS2 game was good, combined Hitman and MGS, two completely different stealth games with no influence of each other with different goals, and somehow made a playable game. Even the story makes sense even with the magic twist later in the game because it doesn't go crazy with it and you aren't shooting fireballs.

There's also that Hitman game, the japanese Hitman not the western one.

Arsic

The new Castlevania anime has 4 seasons that just get better and better so you would jive with that.

Attack on Titan while starring initial youth's does have them age as seasons go on, and is a front runner as far as incredible moments of story telling with very dark telling of War and eventually genocide / racism etc.

Full Metal Alchemist while starting two youth's has them go through and engage moments that even adults would crumble under the pressure of. Dark, twisted, and very thought provoking the farther you get in.

Last but not least Dororo. Samurai born with no eyes, skin, ears, tongue, etc on a mission for revenge to get his body parts back. Craaaaaazy shit.

The new Castlevania anime has 4 seasons that just get better and better so you would jive with that.

Attack on Titan while starring initial youth's does have them age as seasons go on, and is a front runner as far as incredible moments of story telling with very dark telling of War and eventually genocide / racism etc.

Full Metal Alchemist while starting two youth's has them go through and engage moments that even adults would crumble under the pressure of. Dark, twisted, and very thought provoking the farther you get in.

Last but not least Dororo. Samurai born with no eyes, skin, ears, tongue, etc on a mission for revenge to get his body parts back. Craaaaaazy shit.

Dororo sounds intriguing. Watched Castlevania and barely enjoyed it, if at all, depending on the episodes. Full Metal Alchemist I watched the original series, so I am not sure that it would do much good to invest some more time into the Brotherhood saga.
Attack on Titan is a weird one. I stopped around the second or third episode of the second season, never to revisit it again. Yeah, I should resume watching this anime...Scratch that, I should restart it as it has been a few years since I discovered it.
So, Dororo and Attack on Titan, plus the list provided by Danjin44. Arigato! 🙇‍♂️

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I am not sure that it would do much good to invest some more time into the Brotherhood saga.
Because the original FM doesn't follow the manga and goes entirely different direction but The Brotherhood does, even the nature of homunculus is very different in Brotherhood compare to 2003 version.

Persona is the only great one, the rest are pretty mediocre cash grabs. I wolud love to see an established American studio tackle a big japanese franchise like akira because knowing japan itll be an underwhelming corridor based game or a anime arena game.

Paltheos

Trails in the sky is great with well written non-stereotypical characters (for anime game, Not "Disco Elysium well written level").
But with Trails if cold steel it all went to stereotype school anime Drama types of characters. What a pity.

I feel like this is an old guard position. There are no moments in Cold Steel 1 or 2 or any of the other games (that I've played; playing Azure now!) that match up to the beach scene in Trails in the Sky 2 and to a lesser extent (although still valid) no characters as exciting or as loved for their humanity (god that sounds melodramatic sorry) as Estelle Bright, but this drop in quality is not as big as you think it is. Sky 2 is a fan favorite but the chapter arcs in that game are as formulaic as shit. Of course all the individual dialogue is great and the actions justified in-universe but the coincidences drag the experience down some. The first two chapters of Sky 1 have the dumbest conclusions of any of the arcs in these games. The villains - the same villains - escape by smoke bomb twice, both times in front of a senior bracer and in the latter instance the only exit point was via a door behind the heroes. I know you're talking about character writing too which is its own thing but this... isn't really a position I've ever been able to totally get behind. Some of the inter-character drama in Cold Steel 1 is bad but some leeway can be granted as the characters' backgrounds are expanded on outside of these scenes and the drama provides a platform for coloring in some of the issues going on in Erebonia. ... Except anything involving Machias. He just sucks. But like as a point of contrast Jusis gets a ton of characterization and it's plain as day why he is the way he is and he's one of my favorite characters in the group.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Video game adaptations of anime are often more hit than miss, but if you do enough digging, you'll find some undeniable gems that do their source material justice. Here are our picks for the top 10 anime to video game adaptations, or the 10 best games based on anime.

The full list:
00:00 - Intro
00:22 - Attack on Titan 2
00:52 - Bleach: Dark Souls
01:47 - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
02:41 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost ON
03:38 - One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
04:18 - Initial D Arcade Stage 8 Infinity
05:07 - Astro Boy: Omega Factor
05:57 -Jump Ultimate Stars
06:56 - Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
07:35 - DragonBall FighterZ