• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the current expectations for Starfield too high for it to reach?

Are current expectations for Starfield too high for it to reach?

• Yes

Votes: 182 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 119 39.5%

• Total voters

Philfrag

Banned
As a pc player that enjoys playing games with high framerates I completely expect to be fucked. The showcase that we saw did not look like it performed well. Whoever was playing those sections did that slow walking and movement of the camera that devs do nowadays to hide the poor performance. Its becoming increasingly more obvious every year when we see new releases.

I love Bethesda games though, and will buy day 1, but I completely expect it to have a bad release. No matter how great the game is, that's absolutely no excuse. Its hard to even just pin this on Bethesda anymore, its just how the industry works. The problem is that Bethesda would get away with it before as they had garnered some good will with their fanbase. Its different now, Fallout 4 had major issues, Fallout 76 happened. Starfield I think will be the line in the sand for a lot of people. It either has to release with minimal issues and serve as a decent 'one of those' or its design has to be so ground breaking that it shakes things up in the 'rpg' open world genre whilst releasing janky as hell. I definitely think they're more likely to do the latter, but thats only when comparing to the former. In the real world I don't think they're going to achieve either. Luckily they have Elder Scrolls coming next. Something tells me we're going to get it a lot sooner than intended after the release of Starfield. A lot sooner meaning in the next 5/6 years instead of how Todd previously spoke about it which was like 'we don't have the technology to achieve what we want to achieve yet'.

...but yes, expectations are too high, but not without a tremendous amount of niggling doubt

Shubh_C63

People who have high expectations from Starfield are also Skyrim players, and I don't know what to tell those people if they still expect a non-broken game.

They have only themselves to blame. This game won't disappoint me though.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
People who have high expectations from Starfield are also Skyrim players, and I don't know what to tell those people if they still expect a non-broken game.

They have only themselves to blame. This game won't disappoint me though.

skyrim is one of the most popular games of all time. 20k+ players on steam right now on a weekday morning for a game that came out 12 years ago.

i expect no less than a somewhat buggy game that will be fixed by modders and a huge sandbox to fuck around with for years.

Ozriel

M$FT
It'll be a typical Bethesda bug-ridden shitshow until about a year after launch. A year after that, modders will have made it a better game than its developers could ever have done.

Easy enough for modders to improve upon a great project by targeting specific fixes and improvements with no hard development time limits.

You’d have as many bugs if these modders banded together to make a massive open world RPG.

LordOfChaos

Expectations might be too high, but as long as it's a basically fine game I don't think it matters as a Gamepass title especially. A lot of people didn't think High on Life would be that good, but being on Gamepass a lot of people checked it out, and now it's one of the top titles on there. And this is Bethesda and not a rando little studio.

As long as it's a basically good game, not meeting some lofty expectations doesn't really matter.

One delay too many after 25 years of no delays.
18 months from announcement in 2021 to release (November 2022) was not enough time to polish this game? This tells me they are in way over their heads. Also, doing the math, it is that Cyberpunk and Fallout 76 and Fallout 4 et. al. have jaded the consumers to jank ass day one releases that Todd just cannot shit out a game anymore and let the modders do the fixing for him if he wants to sell it. Also, Microsoft probably had a lot of word for him about his tried and true method of game development forced his hand.

The game has not been in development for 25 years LMAO. Todd Howard simply stated that he has had a vision/concept brewing for Starfield for approximately 25 years and that the team at Bethesda got together and decided to finally begin working on that vision after Fallout 4's final expansion was released back in the summer of2016. Even then, the first few years were for concepting, brainstorming, and building the systems that would need to be in-place for a game of this magnitude while all-hand-on-deck development didn't likely begin until after Fallout 76 released in 2018.

Humdinger

I'm a fan of Bethesda. I loved Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3. They stumbled badly in the last few years.

I'm interested in how Starfield turns out. Personally, I'm not that hyped, because the footage gave me "Fallout in space" vibes. I'm tired of the Fallout universe and mechanics. I'm still curious about the game, though.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I’m cautiously optimistic but the showcase they had did not make me excited especially the hundreds of procedurally generated planets, that just feels like we’ll end up with a LOT of copy & paste content instead of enough unique experiences

they really need to have another showcase that knocks it out of the park

Luipadre

I rewatched the trailer, oof. They will come out with this in 2023. Their engine is so garbage. I can see their old games everywhere when i watch this video. The animations, the effects, the gfx. But people will overlook it, because its bethesda and its just sad

zzill3

Banned
I rewatched the trailer, oof. They will come out with this in 2023. Their engine is so garbage. I can see their old games everywhere when i watch this video. The animations, the effects, the gfx. But people will overlook it, because its bethesda and its just sad

Were you honestly expecting Bethesda to abandon what they’ve been doing for decades with this game? Of course it will remind you of their old games, every Bethesda game has a similar style to it. Those games are some of the highest rated WRPGs of all time, though, people won’t be overlooking anything - they will actually enjoy it because they’re good games.

Ozriel

M$FT

while you’re being sad, people are having fun playing their expansive RPGs. Isn’t that all that matters?

Luipadre

while you’re being sad, people are having fun playing their expansive RPGs. Isn’t that all that matters?

dont you want them to do better? Their games always looks dated and the animations are just as bad. It doesnt mean the game is bad, but personally i'd like them to make huge improvements in these areas especially with this game since its only on 2 platforms.

Ozriel

M$FT
Bethesda: “Starfield will have several dense, handcrafted planets with content much bigger than Skyrim. We’ll also have around 1000 procedurally generated planets that our devs have QC’d”

Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin : “Bethesda admits most of the planet are rng. The game will likely let fans down“

😀

Ozriel

M$FT
dont you want them to do better? Their games always looks dated and the animations are just as bad. It doesnt mean the game is bad, but personally i'd like them to make huge improvements in these areas especially with this game since its only on 2 platforms.

They’ve done a next gen revamp of their Creation Engine. We’re expecting a significant update in Starfield.

I’d rather wait and see the finished product before making my own judgement.

iQuasarLV

The game has not been in development for 25 years LMAO. Todd Howard simply stated that he has had a vision/concept brewing for Starfield for approximately 25 years and that the team at Bethesda got together and decided to finally begin working on that vision after Fallout 4's final expansion was released back in the summer of2016. Even then, the first few years were for concepting, brainstorming, and building the systems that would need to be in-place for a game of this magnitude while all-hand-on-deck development didn't likely begin until after Fallout 76 released in 2018.
No genius.

The company, Bethesda, has been making AAA games for 25 years.

This is the first time that the company has issued a delay after an announcement of a release date.

All that did not stop big ole Todd from putting up a stupid goddamn announcement wallpaper saying they were in development when he knew they were the better part of a decade away from release. If the game isn't due out in less than three years don't announce it. Nothing good comes from it. Which is apparent given the nature of this thread.

No genius.

The company, Bethesda, has been making AAA games for 25 years.

This is the first time that the company has issued a delay after an announcement of a release date.

All that did not stop big ole Todd from putting up a stupid goddamn announcement wallpaper saying they were in development when he knew they were the better part of a decade away from release. If the game isn't due out in less than three years don't announce it. Nothing good comes from it. Which is apparent given the nature of this thread.
The game was delayed because now that they are owned by Microsoft and have that amount of financial backing, Bethesda no longer feels the mounting pressure to release their games during the Holiday season to boost sales. All their previous games released in November even if they knew months of polishing was still required because they could not afford to miss the Holiday consumer spending season.

iQuasarLV

Apples and oragnes.

I see it as Microsoft, as floating the bill, having no other generation defining games leading the charge, told Todd that anything like Fallout 76 or Cyberpunk would not bode well for the future project funding from Microsoft.

It's Bethesda. My expectations are very low.
I mean, I'm sure it will be a fun sandbox rpg. That's what they are good at. But it will be a shallow RPG and a buggy mess.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I already see lots of people saying it will be "Fallout in space".

You can already tell from the gameplay they've shown that it's not going to be that.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Its bethesda.
Even jesus cant help them, let alone MS.
Bethesda games historically tend to run decently on Xbox and PC so I expect Starfield perform decently and without a lot of bugs. Fallout 4 on Xbox was the most bug-free big open world RPG I've ever played.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
What high expectations?
People loved Skyrim. Treated it like an actually decent game, spend HUNDREDS of hours in it.
Then they bought millions of copies of Fallout 4 n called it pretty good with kinda bad dialogue system.

The bar for people to enjoy Bethesda game is really fucking low.

All Bethesda needs to do is linear, badly written, bug field, half animated piece of shit n draw a couple of good vistas n come for the money.
This.

OuterLimits

It will be like No Man's Sky launch all over again.

Disagree. The problem with No Man's Sky in the beginning was Sean Murray doing a ton of interviews way over promising what was in the game at launch. Expectations were sky high because of that.

Granted he eventually delivered on those promises but it took several years after launch to fully happen.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
skyrim is one of the most popular games of all time. 20k+ players on steam right now on a weekday morning for a game that came out 12 years ago.

i expect no less than a somewhat buggy game that will be fixed by modders and a huge sandbox to fuck around with for years.
This so much.

I have a feeling there's a section of the site voting yes for some reason.....

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Most people don't even think about it too much

People are probably more excited for the next Elder Scrolls than Starfield

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I expect the Creation Engine to be suitable for the current gen.
I expect 60 fps minimum on console.
I expect Skyrim-esque playtime potential.
I expect mod support on console and pc
I expect no microtransactions other than DLC and cosmetics
I expect a reasonable amount of replayability (being able to take different paths)

I don't expect this is too much to ask.

midnightAI

Bethesda: “Starfield will have several dense, handcrafted planets with content much bigger than Skyrim. We’ll also have around 1000 procedurally generated planets that our devs have QC’d”

Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin : “Bethesda admits most of the planet are rng. The game will likely let fans down“

😀
As far as level/world generation is concerned, randomly generated or procedurally generated are usually interchangeable (depending on which dev you speak to). If world generation is random then the results would be all over the place so they have to have rules attached to the generation. No Mans Sky for example is procedurally generated and that contains 18 quintillion planets. So when someone says that their game levels are randomly generated they usually mean procedurally generated.
So, anyway, most of the planets aren't hand crafted, they are instead procedurally generated, so his point is valid in that they aren't all hand crafted (obviously, don't know why anyone would think otherwise which is where I do disagree with his statement).

Ozriel

M$FT
As far as level/world generation is concerned, randomly generated or procedurally generated are usually interchangeable (depending on which dev you speak to). If world generation is random then the results would be all over the place so they have to have rules attached to the generation. No Mans Sky for example is procedurally generated and that contains 18 quintillion planets. So when someone says that their game levels are randomly generated they usually mean procedurally generated.
So, anyway, most of the planets aren't hand crafted, they are instead procedurally generated, so his point is valid in that they aren't all hand crafted (obviously, don't know why anyone would think otherwise which is where I do disagree with his statement).

You've gone and focused on the wrong thing. Main thing that caught my eye was his use of the word 'admits'.

danklord

Gold Member
4k60 on console is an unrealistic expectation. I expect it, like other Bethesda RPG releases, to run very poorly on anything that isn't the highest end PC hardware at launch. You'll be lucky if you get 1080p60.

As for the game, I'm sure it's going to be great. I hope their narrative scripting and dialogue has gone through a major overhaul. Staring at a NPC's face with 4 dialogue options won't cut it for me.

Last edited:
I have extremely low expectations. I just don't trust Todd Howard anymore. I don't even expect I will even play the game even though the premise of the game sounds like something I really want to play.

Star Citizen has been in development for ages so long and it's still no where near finished. We just don't have the developer tools and hardware necessary to do a big epic space opera game properly yet IMO. Mass Effect series did it best but it really didn't have all that much 'space when you think about it.

damidu

4k60 on console is an unrealistic expectation. I expect it, like other Bethesda RPG releases, to run very poorly on anything that isn't the highest end PC hardware at launch. You'll be lucky if you get 1080p60.
no one is expecting 4k60 on xbox.
the problem is todd saying, they are focusing on graphics fidelity at 30fps.

if they release this without a 60fps mode, they better get ready for some big time backlash.
especially with all those fps gameplay

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Depends whose expectations you're talking about. I've not been paying much attention, I'll be happy to go in with as little info as possible.

Top Bottom