• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Souls games too hard? Completion trophy percentages say "no"

My posts and feeling from the Demon's Souls 2nd OT:

He wins and it was one of the best experiences in games. If you persevere you are rewarded. That's the Souls experience. That's what makes it special.

I feel you

That first time you struggle through Demon's Souls is such a great gaming memory

Still the GOAT

Lorcain

I would argue that the high completion %'s for Soulsborne games reflect how good the games are at drawing players in, and keeping them engaged all the way to the end, rather than a reflection of the difficulty. Or maybe the challenging difficulty contributes to why people remain engaged and want to complete these games.

I think most developers would be ecstatic if players were so engaged that 30-50% completed their game. In other words, I don't think the completion data is a reliable indicator of how easy or hard these games are.

More skilled players gravitate towards it while people aware of their lack of patience, skill, whatever will probably abstain. That said, I don't think the game needs an easy mode but your data is obviously biased.

Behold the glory of self-selection, OP. Those percentages do nothing to account for the people who don't bother to pick up the game at all. Turns out, a reasonable percentage of people who pick up a game marketed as "fuck you, you're gonna die a lot" finish it. Super weird.

I think this is probably it. The games are well known enough that people aren't going to try and play them if they don't have an intention of beating them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they are, they're overwhelming at first but when you slow down and stop playing it like DMC you'll do much better. BB was my first souls game and it was hard but so rewarding, I wiped on the last boss for over 2 hours before I finally killed it and it felt so good. It would be a shame if they ever made them easier.

This is Breitbart-level analysis.

I'm just presenting some (non-alternative!) facts for discussion and collecting them into one place

Even though it wouldn't hold up to scientific peer review (lol) I would still say that these numbers show that the games are not too hard for its audience. And the good sales numbers the games have been getting lately show that they really don't have to worry about shutting people out.

rtcn63

I would argue that the high completion %'s for Soulsborne games reflect how good the games are at drawing players in, and keeping them engaged all the way to the end, rather than a reflection of the difficulty. Or maybe the challenging difficulty contributes to why people remain engaged and want to complete these games.

I think most developers would be ecstatic if players were so engaged that 30-50% completed their game. In other words, I don't think the completion data is a reliable indicator of how easy or hard these games are.

The success of Dark Souls and other "not super hard but not mind-numbingly easy" series is at least partly a response to a gaming market where coasting has become almost the norm. (Content tourism or whatever it's called now) There is an audience that wants to feel challenged, if only just a little bit more than usual.

Gator86

This is Breitbart-level analysis.

Basically. It's a quick, lazy response in the vein of "don't touch my thing! Here's some numbers out of context!"

Also, people should quit suggesting summoning. Summoning is and always will be a dogshit way to play Souls because the AI is complete trash. Two targets utterly breaks the game for most bosses. Having a couple extra heals or taking less damage is a better way of balancing than "just stand behind the monster and whack away without them so much as looking at you the entire fight" which isn't engaging in any way.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I wonder what are the stats on Nioh ;)

This could be souls games are becoming more and more mainstream while in the past they were for a niche group. Eventually people can overcome the hardest difficulty if and when they put their minds to it.

Lord's of the fallen though..... no one can beat bad.

Basically. It's a quick, lazy response in the vein of "don't touch my thing! Here's some numbers out of context!"

Also, people should quit suggesting summoning. Summoning is and always will be a dogshit way to play Souls because the AI is complete trash. Two targets utterly breaks the game for most bosses. Having a couple extra heals or taking less damage is a better way of balancing than "just stand behind the monster and whack away without them so much as looking at you the entire fight" which isn't engaging in any way.

At least it is SOME KIND OF DATA backing up my point.

More than the "easy mode plz ;(" crowd has ever provided

W8LURZ6.png

This is the achievement percentage of reaching the first bonfire on Steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/stats/211420/achievements/

rtcn63

I wonder what are the stats on Nioh ;)

The single-player aspect of Nioh is arguably easier than some/all Souls games. The combat and systems are more forgiving than you'd think. Main an axe or polearm and watch as the human bosses and enemies stagger under your madness. Grasp magic/ninjutsu and just chill as fictional Feudal Japan burns.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
The single-player aspect of Nioh is arguably easier than some/all Souls games. The combat and systems are more forgiving than you'd think. Main an axe or polearm and watch as the human bosses and enemies stagger under your madness.

I agree but many would drop as soon as the Tachibana fight. The axe/polearm was the easy mode.

KingV

I don't think they are too hard but they are too repetitive. I enjoy the gameplay but just get bored replaying the same parts over and over again.

W8LURZ6.png

This is the achievement percentage of reaching the first bonfire on Steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/stats/211420/achievements/

I always knew the PC crowd were casuls.

Seriously though, I guess that has to do with some other factor? Could it be related to the PC version being in such an abysmal state at launch? Or has it been bundled a bunch? The corresponding Steam achievement in III has 87.4%. And 43.6% went on to beat the penultimate boss, which is not all that much lower than on PS4

The single-player aspect of Nioh is arguably easier than some/all Souls games. The combat and systems are more forgiving than you'd think. Main an axe or polearm and watch as the human bosses and enemies stagger under your madness. Grasp magic/ninjutsu and just chill as fictional Feudal Japan burns.

Game is long as hell and longer than any Souls I played (too long even). That could drag the stats down.
They're too easy now.
DaS 3 was not easier than any other Souls game. Hell, I'd argue it had the roughest main story bosses in the series.

Maxey

At least it is SOME KIND OF DATA backing up my point.

More than the "easy mode plz ;(" crowd has ever provided

To be fair, it only sort of proves that a high percentage of players who bought the game will commit to the games and beat them.

It doesn't really add much to the discussion of people who'd like the option to have it play easier for their enjoyment. Their reasoning for that has little to do with what you're trying to prove.

jviggy43

As someone said in the BB thread where I was arguing this, its pointless to argue because they aren't getting an easy mode anyway so its kind of moot to argue about it.

To be fair, it only sort of proves that a high percentage of players who bought the game will commit to the games and beat them.

It doesn't really add much to the discussion of people who'd like the option to have it play easier for their enjoyment. Their reasoning for that has little to do with what you're trying to prove.

Well, it means that if you ever bought one and are complaining about them being too hard for you, it's more your fault than the game's

rtcn63

As someone said in the BB thread where I was arguing this, its pointless to argue because they aren't getting an easy mode anyway so its kind of moot to argue about it.

Funnily enough, and as mentioned before in a way, BB actually patched in NPC summons later on. I've tried them and they're pretty resilient. Not to mention the DLC gives you access to absurdly powerful weapons very early on, but you'd still have to buy it...

Dark Souls 3 is probably the third to fifth (?) Souls-type most people have played. At that point, the mixture of familiarity + improvements in accessibility/quality of life over the various games could make it seem like the easiest. Maybe it is, I dunno.

jviggy43

Funnily enough, and as mentioned before in a way, BB actually patched in NPC summons later on. I've tried them and they're pretty resilient. Not to mention the DLC gives you access to absurdly powerful weapons very early on, but you'd still have to buy it...

Indeed, as to my previous post, they already have an easy mode in every game anyway. They can make it even easier by running a magic build in most games.

Mohasus

Seriously though, I guess that has to do with some other factor? Could it be related to the PC version being in such an abysmal state at launch? Or has it been bundled a bunch? The corresponding Steam achievement in III has 87.4%. And 43.6% went on to beat the penultimate boss, which is not all that much lower than on PS4

Game had GFWL for 2.5 years before becoming a steamworks title.

I don't know why you feel that way.

I would agree that they are objectively harder. But for me they were very easy due to having been trained by the previous games. But for a new player, they are definitely harder. Compare the amount of boss HP between games. It has consistently increased as the meta-series has continued, and the boss move-sets have gotten progressively more varied

Maxey

Well, it means that if you ever bought one and are complaining about them being too hard for you, it's more your fault than the game's

Absolutely, however what they're arguing for is that they should have the option for it to be easier to play, so they can still experience a game they're interested in without the intended challenge.

I understand their points tho, maybe they want to look at the game's assets at their own leisure without worrying about having to fight enemies or just want to know what all the fuss is about after all. There are many reasons.

These games don't have casual mainstream audience, so that certainly pushes the percentages up.

I'd imagine that the game's core audience pursues such challenges.

Probably because they have a huge base of players dedicated to get good?

You guys know that myth is debunked in the OP, right?

You might tell me that it's niche and self-selecting towards good players. But it's not so niche anymore. Dark Souls III was among the top 10 games sold in the 12 months since it released according to NPD.

Also pretty interesting how you think self-selection only biases Dark Souls' percentages, as if other games were bought at random by people that didn't know a thing about them. News flash: people who buy MGSV probably like MGS games too, and yet look at the percentages.

If there's any bias in these results, it's actually stacked against Dark Souls games, as they are longer than many if not most of the other games in the OP. That is the other major factor that governs whether people give up on a game, besides engagement and difficulty.

Absolutely, however what they're arguing for is that they should have the option for it to be easier to play, so they can still experience a game they're interested in without the intended challenge.

I understand their points tho, maybe they want to look at the game's assets at their own leisure without worrying about having to fight enemies or just want to know what all the fuss is about after all. There are many reasons.

But playing a dumbed down version wouldn't show them that. That is not the intended experience. That would not show them why these games are loved.

But what percentage of Souls players can do a shoryuken?

not me :(

Chibot

They're honesty not that difficult if you use co-op. The real challenge, IMO, is beating them from start to finish solo.

phaeta

They aren't that hard.

The biggest hurdle you can have playing Souls games is being patient. If you aren't, you won't get through it.

Backlogging might be widespread, especially once it hit $5-6 during a sale.

Glowsquid

The most poignant argument I've seen about the difficulty of the Souls games and the effectiveness of the accessibility feature already included within them is that darksydephil managed to beat all of the games

Basically. It's a quick, lazy response in the vein of "don't touch my thing!

The irony is so thick you could cut it with a chainsaw.

Here's some numbers out of context!"

Well, don't keep us waiting! Please reveal to us this game-changing context! Unless, of course, it's just that "but only hardcore gamers buy them" debunked in the OP itself.

So you don't just want an easy mode, you want an easy mode perfectly tailored to Gator86's skill level. But it's Dark Souls fans that are entitled, gotcha.

Kusagari

The most stunning thing in that opening post is 22% beating The Witness. Wouldn't have pegged it in double dights.

oSoLucky

But playing a dumbed down version wouldn't show them that. That is not the intended experience. That would not show them why these games are loved.

not me :(

That's always the argument, and it still rings hollow. Tons of people are up in arms because they're worried other players won't get the "intended experience", when in actuality it feels like the community wanting to be exclusionary.

David___

Banned
That's always the argument, and it still rings hollow. Tons of people are up in arms because they're worried other players won't get the "intended experience", when in actuality it feels like the community wanting to be exclusionary.

You say its hollow yet for the past 5 games in the series the devs have yet to make an alternative mode or even said that they want to do one but couldn't. At this point if From wanted to do it they would have in the past 8 years of making the series.

rtcn63

It's really not.

Souls games aren't that hard, there are harder. An easy mode more or less exists in the form of NPC summons. I've used them during replays, only to feel like I cheated myself out of the fun of the actual game (the bosses, at least). Didn't get the intended experience, not enough.

Top Bottom