• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Longer and longer gaps between sequels becoming the norm?

Umbasaborne

Banned
This year, it will be more than six years between the release of halo 5, and halo infinite. For comparison, the gap between halo 2 and 3 was three years, 3 and reach was also three years. If dragon age 4 comes out next year, it will be 8 years between entries in that series, comparatively, it was about four years between dragon age 2 and inquisition.

In some extreme cases, were even looking at ten or fifteen year gaps between entries with series like grand theft auto or the elder scrolls. Do you think game development is taking too long, and if so, what can be done about it?

My suggestion would be reducing the scope of a sequel. I would love more games like spiderman miles morales, or uncharted lost legacy.

Its also weird that, despite their immense size, ubisoft could pump out severalAssassins creed games last generation, while take 2 didn’t even release an entry in the popular bio shock series. We never even got a new saints row game during the ps4’s and xbones life time.

GuinGuin

Banned
A shorter game isn't that much shorter to produce. Once you have the core assets and gameplay nailed creating a larger game becomes easier.

This generation should speed up the process since they no longer have to spend time getting past limitations in I/O such as using elevators and tiny gaps to crawl through to load the next area of the game. Also, things like Ray Tracing should help eliminate some of the work with needing to create cube maps for every reflection or baking in global illumination.

I can't wait for last gen to be left behind.

This year, it will be more than six years between the release of halo 5, and halo infinite. For comparison, the gap between halo 2 and 3 was three years, 3 and reach was also three years. If dragon age 4 comes out next year, it will be 8 years between entries in that series, comparatively, it was about four years between dragon age 2 and inquisition.

In some extreme cases, were even looking at ten or fifteen year gaps between entries with series like grand theft auto or the elder scrolls. Do you think game development is taking too long, and if so, what can be done about it?

My suggestion would be reducing the scope of a sequel. I would love more games like spiderman miles morales, or uncharted lost legacy.

Its also weird that, despite their immense size, ubisoft could pump out severalAssassins creed games last generation, while take 2 didn’t even release an entry in the popular bio shock series. We never even got a new saints row game during the ps4’s and xbones life time.
And only 1 GTA and it was from the generation before hahaha.

GuinGuin

Banned
This generation should speed up the process since they no longer have to spend time getting past limitations in I/O such as using elevators and tiny gaps to crawl through to load the next area of the game. Also, things like Ray Tracing should help eliminate some of the work with needing to create cube maps for every reflection or baking in global illumination.

Also new engines like Unreal 5 will allow them to create one high resolution asset instead of several of different qualities.

Umbasaborne

Banned

thats a good point, another user mentioned ue 5, hopefully the less man hours required for more insignificant assets, and quicker dev cycles. But i also think that scope needs to be reigned in a bit in some cases

kungfuian

I kind of like the expanded DLC turned smaller sized stand alone release thing Sony has going. Uncharted 4 and then Lost Legacy, Spider Man and then Miles, etc. I also really like how they release pretty fleshed out alternate game modes like the co-op in Ghosts of Tsushima, or the upcoming Factions. Seems like a good middle ground to not having anything for like 5 years while the next game cooks. Gives the devs a chance to further explore ideas they couldn't get in the main game too.

Numbered sequels obv. take much longer to make, especially with modern AAA assets. I'm fine with this and much prefer it to the often much less creative annual releases of what seem be little more than reskinned versions of last years game. Full sequels should represent big technical jumps, big new ideas, etc. Let them take their time.

Top Bottom